Politicalcompass

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Politicalcompass
Shock Trooper
Member # 2775
Profile Homepage #25
from a quick search for "HUAC":

House Un-American Activities Committee (HUAC), a committee (1938–75) of the U.S. House of Representatives, created to investigate disloyalty and subversive organizations. Its first chairman, Martin Dies, set the pattern for its anti-Communist investigations. The committee's methods included pressure on witnesses to name former associates, vague and sweeping accusations against individuals, and the assumption of an individual's guilt because of association with a suspect organization. Witnesses who refused to answer were cited for contempt of Congress. A highly publicized 1947 investigation of the entertainment industry led to prison sentences for contempt for a group of recalcitrant witnesses who became known as the Hollywood Ten. In 1948, Whittaker Chambers made sensational accusations of Soviet espionage against former State Dept. official Alger Hiss; those hearings kept the committee in the headlines and provided the first national exposure for committee member Richard Nixon. Critics of the committee contended that it disregarded the civil liberties of its witnesses and that it consistently failed to fulfill its primary purpose of recommending new legislation. After 1950, Sen. Joseph M

cCarthy borrowed many of the committee's tactics for his own Senate investigations. The committee (renamed the House Internal Security Committee in 1969) was abolished in 1975.

--------------------
"I can't give you brains," said the Wizard of Oz to the Scarecrow, "but I can give you a diploma." - L. Frank Baum
Babelicious
Member # 39
Profile Homepage #26
-10, -10, last time I checked.

--------------------
desperance.net - honestly, no biting.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #27
-9.85, -9.90. Pretty typical of these boards.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Shock Trooper
Member # 1278
Profile #28
-5.12, -3.03. Speak for yourself.
EDIT: reading the previous page, I might want to take it again, as it's been a while for me, and there's apparently been changes. Whee, I'm off...
EDIT 2: I'm back. -2.82, -3.08. Becoming more right-wing... argh.

[ Thursday, June 12, 2003 14:05: Message edited by: Tralsk ]

--------------------
"The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."
-The Emperor, Star Wars
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #29
I'm -1.75, -5.03. WHOO I used to be Ghandi. I'm not Ghandi now. I think. Maybe I am. I don't see his name on the chart anymore.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Babelicious
Member # 3092
Profile #30
I'm actually only -9.50, -10.00. Pity. I need a good slapping.

IMAGE(http://staff.desperance.net/mboeh/img/souteneur-tiny.gif) SMACK!

--------------------
(( take my hand and join us ))
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #31
So far I have seen... what, two positive numbers? WTH is it about Spiderweb that attracts anarchists and commies?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #32
The fact that you're the only right-wing conservative "persecuted Christian martyr" around, or at least the only one annoying enough to jabber on and on about how we anarchists and commies are WRONG AND BAD AND SINFUL.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #33
Woah. I'm the furthest left on the boards.

I have no idea whether I should be proud or scared.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Babelicious
Member # 3092
Profile #34
Eh, the only reason I didn't get -10 is because I answered "agree" on the protectionism question.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #35
I'm around -2, -2.

The reason is that although I'm actually a liberal person in general, I have strongly SirDavidian views on religious matters which tend to balance out my liberal views to an extent. Were I me and an atheist, I'd be around -6, -6. Anyway...

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #36
Yeah, all those questions on religion probably bias the compass a little. Were it not for them, I'd probably lie somewhere above the X axis.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #37
It may be the mindset that attracts people to the boards (not the games, that's a different matter.) It may just be that people tend to start out further left and move right. Or the test may just not be entirely accurate.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #38
Well, I would, but I'd probably break it....
Shock Trooper
Member # 1278
Profile #39
Uh, am I the only one who answered all "Strongly Disagree" on all of the religion questions?

[ Friday, June 13, 2003 09:15: Message edited by: Tralsk ]

--------------------
"The son of Skywalker must not become a Jedi."
-The Emperor, Star Wars
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #40
No.
I've been kind of angry at God lately. God is being nice to me now, though. Maybe I'll retake the test again.

-0.88, -5.64.
I have no idea. I never really liked the political compass test anyway. Not accurate enough.

[ Friday, June 13, 2003 10:15: Message edited by: The Almighty Doer of Stuff ]

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #41
Yes, it's that time again. Here are my greivances, for those who weren't around for the first time to see them.
-------------------------------------------
I'd always support my country, whether it was right or wrong.
An idiocy scale would be more appropriate for this. Supporting a country has absolutely no relation to political leaning.

Our race has many superior qualities.
I certainly hope this doesn't add anything to the liberal side if "strongly disagree" is chosen. The KKK's proclivity to the right doesn't brand every conservative or Republican as racist. Racism isn't a trait of conservatism or the Right - it's merely a trait of stupidity and ignorance. Hell, the Communists in the good ol' CCCP were Jew haters, and they certainly weren't right wing.

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
It depends on the situation. The Soviet Union was never on good terms with America, but when the situation called for it, the two nations had to become allies. We do what we must. Had we not allied with the Soviets, I'd probably have never been born, because my grandparents would have been killed. I just don't understand what this has to do with the Compass.

The only social responsibility of a company should be to deliver a profit to its shareholders.
I don't think companies have any social responsibility. However, generally the companies that provide some service to society are the more successful ones. And the best way to gain profit is to provide something that a society wants, thus making both society and the shareholders happy. Thus, I don't know what to say. If I agree, then it means I beleive companies have the responsibility of delivering profits to shareholders, which would be false. If I disagree, it means I would think companies have broader responsibilities, which would also be false. I'm marking "agree," but only because I think other questions are skewed in the other direction.

All authority must be questioned.
This, again, has nothing to do with the PC. There are liberals who would follow Clinton into hell, and there are those who would follow Bush into hell. Idiots will be idiots, no matter what party they affiliate themselves with. I marked "strongly agree," but I don't beleive that makes me more or less liberal or conservative.

Education should involve enabling children to develop their own personality.
This is the one I complained about most last time, I beleive. Everybody has their own personality from birth. Education does not specifically allow or disallow the growth of this personality. If I agree, it means I think schools should teach students how to act, which is silly because everybody acts differently, in ways that cannot be taught. If I desagree, it implies that children cannot develop a personality without the aid of a school, which is simply absurd. What did people do before schools? Did they all lack a personality? I marked "disagree," for the same reason I marked "agree" in that other question.

It's natural for children to keep some secrets from their parents.
It's natural for anybody to keep secrets from anybody. We all have our skeletons in the closet. I just don't understand what this has to do with the PC (I'm saying that a lot, it seems).

When you are troubled, it's better not to think about it, but to keep busy with more cheerful things.
NtDWtPC ("Nothing to do with the political compass," I think I'll be using the abbreviation frequently)

A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.
It's very true. Things happen much faster with a single party. It's an undisputed fact, and has NtDWtPC. The question says nothing of whether or not one party is a better way of going about things. I don't even know which bubble to fill in order to make myself more or less conservative. Flipping a coin says that I agree.

Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all.
Insinuating that conservatives are all ignorant Phillistines? I think this is the last question I'll complain about - the test (as I see it, at any rate) is flawed significantly.

And, since you've all been waiting to see what numbers describe Motrax perfectly:

Economic Left/Right: 2.88
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -1.38

I'm not like any political figure they give, which suits me just fine. But then again, it's a silly test that doesn't cover nearly enough issues, and in the end, the numbers don't mean a thing. It's your ideas on case-by-case basis that matter.

quote:
Economic Left/Right: 2.75
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.00

I must disagree with some of the site's reading recommendations for my political type, however. Although I'm a staunch individualist, I really have no patience with Ayn Rand's "self-interest above all else" philosophy
Churl, you are my bestest friend. :P

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally posted by Sir Motrax of Exile:
Yes, it's that time again. Here are my greivances, for those who weren't around for the first time to see them.
-------------------------------------------
I'd always support my country, whether it was right or wrong.
An idiocy scale would be more appropriate for this. Supporting a country has absolutely no relation to political leaning.

It's still a rightist tendency. Sorry.
quote:

Our race has many superior qualities.
I certainly hope this doesn't add anything to the liberal side if "strongly disagree" is chosen. The KKK's proclivity to the right doesn't brand every conservative or Republican as racist. Racism isn't a trait of conservatism or the Right - it's merely a trait of stupidity and ignorance. Hell, the Communists in the good ol' CCCP were Jew haters, and they certainly weren't right wing.

I would beg to differ. They had an authoritarian system. It's typically a trend of authoritarians to believe in racial superiority. Again, it might not be a trait of the right in general, but it's still a rightening trait.

quote:

The enemy of my enemy is my friend.
It depends on the situation. The Soviet Union was never on good terms with America, but when the situation called for it, the two nations had to become allies. We do what we must. Had we not allied with the Soviets, I'd probably have never been born, because my grandparents would have been killed. I just don't understand what this has to do with the Compass.

'The enemy of my enemy is my friend' is a question most people would answer to in shades of neutrality. Agreeing to it or disagreeing with it wholeheartedly would mark a drastic swing to the right [which has always been a proponent of short-term political opportunism] or the left [whose current trend is long-term planning]. It's a politically charged question.
quote:

The only social responsibility of a company should be to deliver a profit to its shareholders.
I don't think companies have any social responsibility. However, generally the companies that provide some service to society are the more successful ones. And the best way to gain profit is to provide something that a society wants, thus making both society and the shareholders happy. Thus, I don't know what to say. If I agree, then it means I beleive companies have the responsibility of delivering profits to shareholders, which would be false. If I disagree, it means I would think companies have broader responsibilities, which would also be false. I'm marking "agree," but only because I think other questions are skewed in the other direction.

Companies are, by definition, obligated to bring profit to their shareholders. That's why people become shareholders. If they didn't have such a responsibility, the modern economy would not exist.
You know, whinging about this one identifies you as more a proponent of Marx than Rand. You can go scrub your hands with a Brillo pad now.

quote:
[b]
All authority must be questioned.
This, again, has nothing to do with the PC. There are liberals who would follow Clinton into hell, and there are those who would follow Bush into hell. Idiots will be idiots, no matter what party they affiliate themselves with. I marked "strongly agree," but I don't beleive that makes me more or less liberal or conservative.
[/b]
Strict disobedience to authority is a non-authoritarian trend. Again, you're thinking in terms of "left" or "right" as one axis -- this is on the authoritarian/libertarian axis, not on the economic right/left axis.

quote:

Education should involve enabling children to develop their own personality.
This is the one I complained about most last time, I beleive. Everybody has their own personality from birth. Education does not specifically allow or disallow the growth of this personality. If I agree, it means I think schools should teach students how to act, which is silly because everybody acts differently, in ways that cannot be taught. If I desagree, it implies that children cannot develop a personality without the aid of a school, which is simply absurd. What did people do before schools? Did they all lack a personality? I marked "disagree," for the same reason I marked "agree" in that other question.

The key word is "develop". They HAVE a personality in the same sense a region HAS the potential for geothermal power.

quote:

It's natural for children to keep some secrets from their parents.
It's natural for anybody to keep secrets from anybody. We all have our skeletons in the closet. I just don't understand what this has to do with the PC (I'm saying that a lot, it seems).

And you're wrong every time you say it, it seems. Saying "strongly disagree" would identify you as holding a basic tenet of authoritarian belief -- that secrets from authority AREN'T natural.

quote:

When you are troubled, it's better not to think about it, but to keep busy with more cheerful things.
NtDWtPC ("Nothing to do with the political compass," I think I'll be using the abbreviation frequently)

See also Adolf Hitler, 1933.

quote:

A significant advantage of a one-party state is that it avoids all the arguments that delay progress in a democratic political system.
It's very true. Things happen much faster with a single party. It's an undisputed fact, and has NtDWtPC. The question says nothing of whether or not one party is a better way of going about things. I don't even know which bubble to fill in order to make myself more or less conservative. Flipping a coin says that I agree.

Note the term "significant advantage". The question here is, is it a GOOD thing that it is removing those arguements? Arguement within government is a basic democratic trait.

quote:

Abstract art that doesn't represent anything shouldn't be considered art at all.
Insinuating that conservatives are all ignorant Phillistines? I think this is the last question I'll complain about - the test (as I see it, at any rate) is flawed significantly.

See also Rudy Giuliani, 2000. [Or was that 1998? I forget.]
quote:
[b]
And, since you've all been waiting to see what numbers describe Motrax perfectly:

Economic Left/Right: 2.88
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -1.38
I'm not like any political figure they give, which suits me just fine. But then again, it's a silly test that doesn't cover nearly enough issues, and in the end, the numbers don't mean a thing. It's your ideas on case-by-case basis that matter.
[/b]
True. but they give a good general idea.
quote:
Economic Left/Right: 2.75
Authoritarian/Libertarian: -2.00
I must disagree with some of the site's reading recommendations for my political type, however. Although I'm a staunch individualist, I really have no patience with Ayn Rand's "self-interest above all else" philosophy
Churl, you are my bestest friend. :P [/QB][/QUOTE]

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Babelicious
Member # 3092
Profile #43
Did you even read the introduction to the PC, Motrax? It's not just left or right. You could answer "strongly agree" to the race question and "strongly disagree" to the secrets from parents question and still be far left. Or far right. Or moderate! It just affects your vertical position.

So I must ask you to get in the line.
IMAGE(http://staff.desperance.net/mboeh/img/forfacef.gif)

[ Friday, June 13, 2003 11:49: Message edited by: Nascimento ]

--------------------
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #44
quote:
You can go scrub your hands with a Brillo pad now.
Done and done.

And Djur, you're right, I did rush into it without reading the intro. My apologies.

EDIT: Changed the Post-it note icon to the angry face icon. I think that's the first time I've ever made that mistake. Oh me oh my.

[ Friday, June 13, 2003 11:41: Message edited by: Sir Motrax of Exile ]

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #45
I still don't think it's all that accurate... does anyone know of any others that might be better?

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Triad Mage Banned Veteran
Member # 165
Profile Homepage #46
WARNING! The previous post was originally written in Republican, a language very close to our own but posessing several false cognates which will fool the casual reader. Allow me to translate as a service to the community:
quote:
Originally posted by iDavid:
I still don't think it's all that accurate... does anyone know of any others that might be better?
I still don't think it's got a blatant enough right-wing bias... does anyone know of any others that might have been written by people who George Bush II would criticize from the left?

Thank you for your time.

--------------------
desperance -- je me souviens
arena -- et je me souviens de vous
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #47
HUH HUH HUH YOUR SO FUNNY ALEC YOU TURN ME ON

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Babelicious
Member # 3092
Profile #48
IMAGE(http://desperance.net/img/vahnpower.gif)

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 48
Profile #49
I got (-3.38, -0.56).
This is quite funny since I got something around (-7, -5) right after the Iraq War (I was irate about it back then).

quote:
Originally posted by Sir Motrax of Exile:

I personally think this is a not-very-good question as well. I personally agree with that one, because democracy has a major problem that can never be fixed: protecting the rights and freedom the minorities (which can be as much as 49.99%). The problem is, one-party states have a bad name because people always think of Hitler; history does show that they tend to be "bad" (i.e. the government may be racist, give its people little or no human rights, etc.)

Theoretically, a "good" dictator in a one-party state should be able to solve many problems in modern democracies; the problem is, no such dictator exist yet (and we won't see one in the near future).

quote:
Originally posted by The Excuse:

all those questions on religion probably bias the compass a little. Were it not for them, I'd probably lie somewhere above the X axis.

As for religion-related questions, I did a quick test by pressing Ctrl+N at page 5 and answered two versions of answers for the last two pages (one with my REAL opinion, which is pro-religion, and the other one with deliberately anti-religion answers) just to see how much they are weighed.

The results:
With pro-religion answers: (-3.38, -0.56)
With anti-religion answers: (-4.88, -5.03)

[ Friday, June 13, 2003 20:34: Message edited by: y0d1n2a3 ]

--------------------
"Father, forgive them, for they don't know what they are doing.-Luke 23:34

Pages