The Survival Thread.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: The Survival Thread.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7252
Profile #0
Well, there's a graveyard thread for amazingly stupendous deaths why not for survival?

Nefzz, Rrrm, Dazzle..
In the Black Horror's arena..

Rrrm and Dazzle were culled by the Horror and his menagerie of minions..Nefzz was left alone..he looks at his backpack and saw a peculiar bottle that is glowing with a sickly green light..an invulnerability potion..he gorged it down and felt the rush of power, he felt invincible..he is invincible..

He whacked the shades first then then Horror..with enough Ripostes, Parries, and the residues of a previous Regeneration of the Divine Restoration Dazzle has casted when he was alive..he defeated it! The sentinels posed no problems in melee..

[ Wednesday, March 19, 2008 16:48: Message edited by: Azuma ]

--------------------
But after revenge is taken, nothing remains but a painful scar...
You ain't evil until you hear this!
Looking for group to slaughter the world..
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #1
In Exile 3 I had a priest who survived through a whole field of lava not because of the Firewalk spell or repeated healing, but because her luck was six and she had several lifesaving items equipped.

"Shamgar, Ivanhoe, Dahlia, and Vanval"

Vanval thought the rat following him was rather amusing, but never thought about taming it. The party found the secret passage on the corner, picked up the goodies, passed by the basin filled with blue liquid, buffed up and charged. Apparently Lysstak wasn't much of a challenge. Leg Sweep skill and repeated lightning bolts finished off the job well. Good thing I kept those scrolls around.

[ Wednesday, March 19, 2008 17:07: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #2
I've survived for 18 years with only a few minor scrapes and bruises and a toe broken twice in the same month.

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Kill Them Dead - Rate it now at CSR!
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #3
I'm up to 22 years without any broken bones. Thus far I've only had two major injuries. One involved me falling over the side of some steps. The other involved a sharp toilet seat...

EDIT: Posting such things here is probably a jinx.

[ Thursday, March 20, 2008 02:36: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Azuma:

You've been doing this for a while, and I just want to point out that this isn't a legitimate grammatical device. I think what you're going for is an ellipsis, which can be typed either "..." or ". . ."

Further, although they are certainly useful to help convey a sense of voice on an informal web forum, I find that just a normal "full stop," i.e. a single period, answers admirably. Try it out - you might find you like it!

Go Cats!

EDIT: In the spirit of the thread, back in the day when Final Fantasy 1 was new, anytime I could run the Ice Cave at a bleeding edge level (lowest ever was six or seven, I think) and could get one or two members of the party back to Crescent Lake alive with the Floater, it was a good day. Come to think of it, the Marsh Cave and the wizards still send chills down my spine.

[ Thursday, March 20, 2008 03:00: Message edited by: Drew ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #5
Oh yeah, I remember a particulair landing in Flight Simulator 2004. I had taken off in a Boeing 737 at Tegel, Berlin, in extremely bad weather. I wanted to land again, because I couldn't see anything in the fog and rain, so i contacted ATC and they directed me toward the runway, but I couldn't see the damn strip. So after some maneuvering I finalle saw the it: I was about 200 meters from it's start and flying in a wrong direction: I was flying far too much to the right of it. So I quickly turned right, and the quickly left, and managed to put the aircraft safely on the ground.

I think it was my best landing ever, since usually I crash because the plane sort of drops on the runway, breaking the gear, after which the plane explodes...

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.
Co-designed with Nikki: El Presidente.

Give us your drek!
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #6
30 years old now, lucky to still be in one piece; here's the proof:

I gouged a trench in my left index finger with one of my father's woodcarving tools; I was six then, and still have the scar 26 years later. Ten years ago now, somehow I bounced the same finger off my father's belt sander, somehow severing my fingernail and breaking the bone underneath. Earlier that same year (February 14, 1998, to be exact), I was working at a fast-food place near my house; I slipped while carrying a 5-gallon pot of hot chili, resulting in a second-degree burn on my left shoulder, and another one dangerously close to my left eye (yes, I still have my vision).

In July 1994, I completed a mile swim at a Boy Scout camp. One of my knees gave out around the 3/4 mile marker. Being young and slightly arrogant about my physical condition, I decided to walk off the injury; to this day, I'm still walking it off, and occasionally limp.

And this is just a small sample. Maybe I should change my PDN to "The Masochist"? ;)

[ Thursday, March 20, 2008 14:09: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

a 5-gallon pot of hot chili,

Wendy's?

Most of my injuries have come from angry cats. One came pretty close to severing an artery on the back of my knee.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

quote:

Most of my injuries have come from angry cats. One came pretty close to severing an artery on the back of my knee.

I feel ye man, my cats have played a number on my face a many time, and also, just recently my cat barfed on my head, damn it took long to get out!

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks! Viva Khyryk! Vivan los Serviles! Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons! this is what you send to blizzard if they cancel Starcraft 2.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Xel'Raga:

I feel ye man
Clearly it's time for another abominable photo thread. Don't worry, Andra, I'm sure Xel'Raga didn't mean it.

Survivor, huh? Well, I almost get killed an average of twice every day on the way to work, due to morons talking on their cell phones while they're driving. That make me a survivor? I do still seem to have vitals…

[ Thursday, March 20, 2008 21:36: Message edited by: Nemesis. ]

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Always remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
quote:

quote:

Wendy's?

Last night when I saw that, I read it as "casts". Cats clearly make much more sense. :P

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - from the bottom of the sea.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #11
When I was seven, I snake bit me in between my eyes. My both eyes swell so badly I couldn't open them for days, and there were nice, black rings around them for almost a month after. I also had to spend a week in hospital.

I never got what all the fuss was about, but my relatives were quite worried about me during the time I was poisoned. To this day, my grandma holds herself responsible and becomes dead-serious when talking about that accident.

Oh, by the way, the first thing I wanted my father to bring to the hospital was this lovely, stuffed snake I called "Stigu". It really made sleeping easier when I had that toy snake next to me. My father was dearly amused.

--------------------
Life is a neverending carneval where everyone has multiple costumes. I just hope mine are pleasing to the eye.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
I got bit by a rattlesnake and walked it off. I guess either it forgot to inject enough venom, or I wasn't poisoned that badly. The fangs went right through 2 pairs of socks and my trusty Red Wings.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #13
I spilled scalding hot coffee on my left leg when I was eleven months old. I came out of the hospital with a second degree burn, and I still have many photos of my infant self with a huge bandage on my thigh. Now my left leg is slightly shorter than my right.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #14
When I was really little, I got so sick that even a sip of water make me hurl. I had to go to the emergency room and wait for 4 hours because they were full, and almost died before I could get an IV.

And of course, some of the roads I drive on involve near-death experiences regularly.

Of course, I've got nothing on my friend Brad. Shortly after he was born, his legs began to swell up really bad, and he was rushed to the hospital where the doctors suggested immediate amputation. His parents refused, and Brad's heart stopped shortly thereafter. By the time he was resuscitated, he had lost 2/3 of his brain. But now he's just fine, except that every once in a while he forgets what he is doing.

[ Friday, March 21, 2008 20:39: Message edited by: Taliesin ]

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #15
quote:

quote:

Wendy's?

Yep. Worked there for several years, actually.
quote:

Ouch. Never had that happen; then again, I tend to avoid cats, I'm allergic.

[ Monday, March 24, 2008 14:51: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #16
I had my 8 month old nephew throw up on me. I' only lived through it because my mouth was closed.

--------------------
"The President finally had what he wanted. The President had a planet. All to himself." -A Planet For The President
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I got bit by a rattlesnake and walked it off. I guess either it forgot to inject enough venom, or I wasn't poisoned that badly. The fangs went right through 2 pairs of socks and my trusty Red Wings.
Maybe the socks and shoes absorbed the venom.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #18
I was fighting the shapeshifter in A5 yesterday, and my slith dropped down to one hitpoint. His goblin lackeys still had their turn, yet they missed my Slith twice, which left me rather amazed at the fact I didn't need to reload.

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #19
I've had pneumonia twice and survived whooping cough once. Yay.

Can't say I've had any noteworthy gaming survivals. Beating Grah-Hoth for the first time was fun. Managed it on the first try with only killing off one of my fighters.

Okay... now that I think of it, there was this one match in Rome: Total War, in which I as the Brutii invaded the Scipii captial, with battle mode set to very hard difficulty. They outnumbered me two to one (I didn't realize that their reinforcements were close enough to assist), and I was attacking with two full armies. We're talking roughly 8500 men total. By the time the battle was finished, I had exactly ten men: the general who led my main attack force, and nine guys leftover from an onager unit.
The Scipii had none.
Ironically, the last of the Scipii in this battle was their faction leader, who sucessfully led my leader on a wild goose chase around the city several times before I remembered that the onagermen could leave their equipment.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is still here.
Not only does that boast his survival rate, but should make you fear for yours.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Grimm, Occasionally:

Beating Grah-Hoth for the first time was fun. Managed it on the first try with only killing off one of my fighters.
Urgh. I hate that battle. It's one of those ones where if you come in unprepared (at least for me) you're completely screwed, but if you go in knowing what's coming it's pretty easy.

By the way, mung demons suck.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Always remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #21
quote:

I've had pneumonia twice and survived whooping cough once. Yay.
Lucky you. I've had bronchitis three times myself, each time bordering on pneumonia; that--and I'm sure others will agree--was bad enough.

My father has had pneumonia a total of at least five or six times that I'm aware of. If I recall correctly, the last time nearly killed him.
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis.:

Tell me about it. I'm just glad for potions of clarity, energy elixirs, and anything that hastes my party.

[ Tuesday, March 25, 2008 15:24: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Truly, I played through Avernum without an archer, and enduring that demon fort was just excruciating. I'm glad I haven't encountered any of those in Avernum 5 yet...

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #23
quote:

I've had pneumonia twice and survived whooping cough once.

Ugh. Pneumonia is bad. I was really sick a few months ago, and it was terrible. Actually, as far as infections go, it wasn't that bad. I was only deathly ill for two days, and it cleared up within a week. However, it decided to strike just as finals were starting.

I was hoping it was SARS. That would have been cool. Until I died.

[ Tuesday, March 25, 2008 20:51: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

Maybe the socks and shoes absorbed the venom.

No, Drakey got it right.

½ Man, ½ Amazing.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."

Pages