Studies

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Studies
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #0
What fields are you people in? (If not for some sort of degree, then at least what you pursue primarily in your spare time.) What drew you to those fields?

Personally, if--dare I assume--you would be interested to know, my main interest lies in philosophy during my spare time; although I won't claim expertise in the field enough to defend any positions. My feeble curiosities are always enraptured by some intrepid thinker who can expound on them, put them in context, and make them infinitely more wondrous. :) I also find that philosophy is infinitely more enjoyable when I am not burdened by a desire to prove one position or another. It allows me to enjoy the beauty of the arguments while sidestepping the pomp of many authors. I would be quite fascinated to hear what people in other fields make reading their literature more fulfilling!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #1
Fun fact: chances are that if you use the word "pomp", you've failed to sidestep it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #2
D: I find your position to be extremely abstemious.

And your last sentence took me by surprise.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Argon - "I'm at a loss for words..."
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #3
Well put, Mr. Thuryl. Then, I will be clearer: Some instances of pomp is more distracting than others. I hope mine was not, and you were merely informing me about this tendency in writing! Apologies if my bravado offends. I am aware that I can come off as being snide at times. :(

And you, Mr. Salmon, have a way with subtlety which I do not feel I will ever be able to attain. :)
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #4
I can't imagine that you actually talk that way.

(I had to look up the definition of 'pomp' before I posted. I, like most people, have never seen or used that word before.)

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #5
We're just here to pomp you up.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #6
"He’s cute, he’s sleepy, and he’s in your pocket. He’s Pomp..."

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

I can't imagine that you actually talk that way.

(I had to look up the definition of 'pomp' before I posted. I, like most people, have never seen or used that word before.)

Oh, I don't know. If you're in a marching band, there might be some circumstance in which you'd hear the word.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #8
I apologize for having forced you to waste time and effort to resort to using a dictionary. :o I simply assumed that "pomp" would be easily identified with "pompous(ness)," although in the future I will make sure to limit my vocabulary to only the most user-friendly words possible.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Diprosopus:

What fields are you people in? (If not for some sort of degree, then at least what you pursue primarily in your spare time.) What drew you to those fields?
I hold a BA in Social Sciences Comprehensive w/emphasis in History. I'm starting graduate school in the Fall for MS in Project Management. After that I'm planning on getting something ALA approved as I'd like to work in a Library someday. I'm pursuing the MSPM first because it is more directly useful in my current position. I also am only a few credits short of a Philosophy minor but I was offered my current position my last year of school and didn't want to pass it up so I graduated sans Philosophy minor.

I currently work in IT (been doing it since high school, this factors into why I got a degree in something else, who wants to do IT forever). I have the fortune of working at a small Liberal Arts college which affords me the opportunity to further personal, professional, academic, and literary goals.

Currently mowing through a large stack of Ayn Rand books, both her works and derivative works.

I personally find a large number of things interesting, trashy sci-fi, good sci-fi, philosophy, politics, film, cats, etc... If I find something interesting I go research it. A fe weeks ago I was on a parliamentary process bender dipping my toes into books on parliamentary politics and the Westminster system. I *heart* the library.

On a side note, Student Loans eat me alive. Bless the dollar menu.

--------------------
http://www.goozex.com/trading/asp/join.asp?idr=412684821
alexkaltsas.com
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
I had to look up the definition of 'pomp' before I posted. I, like most people, have never seen or used that word before.
On that note, what is "abstemious"?
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #11
Just another fancy word. I prefer smaller words myself...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #12
quote:

If you'd have stayed in the Avernum RP, you might have noticed it in one of my latest IC posts.

I study political science. I am an emperor, after all.

--------------------
You lose.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #13
Once when I was on a training exercise as a reserve infantry lieutenant in Canada, I was one of the last two people to get lunch. All the good food seemed to be gone by then, but I looked at random in some unlikely container and found something I liked after all. I was pleased enough to slip out of military character and exclaim, 'How serendipitous!'

This startled the notoriously crusty artillery colonel who was the other latecomer. The comparatively scientific artillery in every army likes to look down on the infantry as mindless grunts. This guy was not only an artillery colonel, but a poly sci professor in civilian life as well — fairly prominent as a sovietologist. So with several stacked up levels of pomposity he harumphed, "I didn't think infantry officers could pronounce words of more than one syllable!"

I'm still happy to remember the reflexive inspiration by which I instantly replied, "That's right, sir, but I just break them down and pronounce them one at a time." He never gave me any trouble again.

Oh, yeah: I never rose higher in military rank than part-time lieutenant, but now I'm a physics professor. And we comparatively scientific physicists like to look down on political science types as mindless grunts.

EDIT: Thinking only about that old poly sci colonel, I forgot that ET had identified his studies as political science. But whatever else he is, ET is no mindless grunt. By way of apology I offer him a relevant quotation from another emperor: "Mon métier a moi c'est d'être royalist."

[ Wednesday, March 12, 2008 23:44: Message edited by: Student of Trinity ]

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
quote:

Just another fancy word. I prefer smaller words myself...
Not sure how fancy it is, but it sure does save me a lot of typing to use the precise word that fits my intention.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #15
For the one year that I pursued higher education, my field was music and music education, though until the day I signed up for classes I had thought it was going to be architecture. Long story.

At present my spare time is mostly consumed by child rearing with some PC gaming and scrapbooking for fun. I'm learning to play guitar, too.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
As probably everybody knows by this point, I'm a double-major in Classics and Astro. Basically done with the Classics, and finishing the Astro this semester.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
I'm currently a law student, though I don't know at this point if it would be a field that I take particularly seriously. I seem to spend a lot of my time following politics, though. Recently, I've been interested in community supported agriculture.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6666
Profile #18
One thesis short of a M.Sc. degree with financial accounting as a major. Should be done by the end of this semester.
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #19
I have two Associate's degrees: one in general studies, the other in computer programming.

Also, I'm currently teaching myself the ins & outs of investing in the stock market.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #20
I'm still in high school, but I plan to attain a bachelor's degree in secondary education, but I've also considered a degree in vocal performance.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I'm still in high school, but I plan to attain a bachelor's degree in secondary education, but I've also considered a degree in vocal performance.
Just go on American Idol. They'll tell you what is what. Just avoid Paula...

--------------------

Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #22
I recently dropped plans for getting a bachelor's in game and simulation programming, mainly because DeVry is too expensive, not to mention full of crap.

Now I'm gonna try to go the route I should have taken originally, and just get an associate's at city college, then go for a bachelor's in computer science at state

At present, however, I'm on a break from school, possibly until fall. I've been devoting a lot of time to BoA and work.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

Always remember, kids: every time you 'lol', God kills a kitten.

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/7/08)
Shaper
Member # 247
Profile Homepage #23
I study butterflies.

--------------------
The Knight Between Posts.
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Oh, I don't know. If you're in a marching band, there might be some circumstance in which you'd hear the word.
I feel as though if you played the song everyone (at least from the US) would know exactly what song you were talking about. However in this case I fell as though I am the only person that got that reference.

Edit: And so I'm not off topic. I don't know what I will end up studying.

[ Wednesday, March 12, 2008 17:44: Message edited by: The Ratt ]

--------------------
Ornk Meat and Guacamole --------- $6.00
Gazer Tentacle Stew -------------- $10.00
=:T:=

Pages