What have you been reading recently?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading recently?
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #25
I eagerly await the next Song of Ice and Fire book, A Dance With Dragons. Expected to come out in 2006. :rolleyes:

Amazing. Just amazing. And worth the wait, I'm sure. But until then, maybe I'll get with the times and read the Harry Potter books.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

ET reminds me of myself before I was taken into a small chatroom by TM, Alec, and various other members. They then proceeded to beat some sense into me...
-Lt. Sullust

My website: Nemesis' Refuge (Last Update: 3/16/08)
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
I just re-read the Lone Wolf books. They were my original introduction to fantasy literature at about age 5, and they're now free online at Project Aon. Freakin' awesome.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

I just re-read the Lone Wolf books. They were my original introduction to fantasy literature at about age 5, and they're now free online at Project Aon. Freakin' awesome.
Yeah, they're pretty well-written and well-balanced as gamebooks go, at least most of the time. Just... don't think too hard about the racial undertones in some of them. (Undertones? Ha ha. More like overtones.) Joe Dever's probably a BNP voter now. :(

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #28
I recently finished A History of the World in 10½ Chapters by some Briton named Julian Barnes. It's a fictional account of the earth's history - how things "actually" went down, from Noah to now, and why our history books tell us what they do. Relatively unknown, but terrific. I recommend it, but it won't be easy to find.

--------------------
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #29
Just put down E. R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros. Amazing, and a quite new adventure for me, being one of the first books I;ve read written in that type of archaic English.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Travian The Roost
Do you know what is the answer to the greatest question ever? It's here.

I like the French. They always go ^^. It's even infectious, if you catch the joke ^^ .
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #30
Rereading through my Chichton collection right now. Just finished Prey , hoping to grab Sphere and State of Fear while I'm home for spring break.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin is reading your mind.
Yes he is. No, this is not a stupid gimmick. Stop arguing. Believe it. No, he will never stoop that low.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

I like speaking my mind, when the voices let me hear it.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Just... don't think too hard about the racial undertones in some of them. (Undertones? Ha ha. More like overtones.) Joe Dever's probably a BNP voter now. :(
I took it as typical fantasy fare; Tolkien's just as bad or worse, and that's trickled down into lots of other authors as a result.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Kel - you are awesome for finding that link - thanks so much! I have many fond memories of feeling grateful for hanging on to the firesphere from Book 3(?) through the whole series... :)

[ Monday, February 25, 2008 13:08: Message edited by: Drew ]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #33
Ouroboros is indeed great. I re-read it every few years. Eddison's other novels aren't as good; similar in style, but where Ouroboros is a rollicking yarn with a few spooky ideas for fun, the others are trying too hard to represent some obscure theme about dark-light symmetry or something, and too many characters are lifeless.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

the firesphere from Book 3(?)
Given that it was the Kalte Firesphere, yes, it had to have been from Book 3. :P

[ Monday, February 25, 2008 15:26: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #35
Hey man, given that I'm remembering those books from 21 years ago or so, I think I'm doing pretty well. Plus, having now gone through the first 6 books online today, I believe it was only ever referred to as a "firesphere" - no "Kalte" included. :)

[ Monday, February 25, 2008 17:53: Message edited by: Drew ]
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #36
I just read a short book of political humor containing mostly pictures titled Bad President. It made my day.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Shock Trooper
Member # 6754
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:

Just put down E. R. Eddison's The Worm Ouroboros. Amazing, and a quite new adventure for me, being one of the first books I;ve read written in that type of archaic English.
Was it about immortality, as the title suggests? Or alchemy?

--------------------
"Write a wise saying and your name will live forever." - Anonymous
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #38
The title does refer to a somewhat peculiar form of immortality, but that isn't really what the story is about.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #39
I'm reading the Pellinor-Series, may seem clee-shay, but thats because 80% of it was stolen and put into Eragon, that bastard.

--------------------
Jim, the end of the world is here, the Xel'Naga have returned -Zeratul in Starcraft 2 trailer
I will rule this sector or see it burnt around me! -Arcturus Mengsk
We have cared for Auir and you people, even when you shun us for rejecting the Khala - Zeratul
No matter what name I have, people can call me Xel
Pylons!
Infiltrator
Member # 10578
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

I recently read "Journey to the Centre of the Earth" by Jules Verne on a lark. Completely silly given what we know these days, but still a very enjoyable adventure tale.
Journey to the Centre of Avernum, more like. It is an excellent book, and a surprisingly okay movie as well. :)

quote:
by Goldenking:
Animal Farm and Brave New World simultaneously. I'll through Nineteen Eighty-Four in the mix eventually. If only our societies were like that...
I'm reading The Republic by Plato in class. You should check out his "ideal state" if you aren't familiar with it. So far it looks like Sparta being taken over by Big Brother.

--------------------
Love is the movement.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5459
Profile Homepage #41
Now lessee...

Right now I'm rereading A Song of Ice and Fire. Right now I'm in A Storm of Swords. In the last few months I've read at least:

The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie (which was an okay first book of yet another fantasy trilogy with good characters and dark humor, but a weakish overall plot.)

Domes of Fire by David Eddings (because I hadn't read anything by Eddings before. I was not impressed)

A Crown of Swords by Robert Jordan (I'm pleased to report that absolutely nothing happened in it!)

Making Money by Terry Pratchett (It was okay, I guess.)

I also might have finished rere(possibly-re)reading the Prince of Nothing trilogy by R Scott Bakker (Things still didn't turn out well for Drusas or Cnaiur.)

That about covers what I've been reading (excluding school-related reading) since December.

--------------------
Some of these BoA scenarios might be good:
Backwater Calls, Magus of Cattalon, Rats Aplenty, Outpost Valley
Get them here
Visit Shadow Vale for all your rating needs.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #42
Kel: actually, it was referred to as a Kalte firesphere in later books. :) Currently back from vacation; moving on to the ones I never read...

20,000 Leagues under the Sea - not as good as Journey to the Centre of the Earth, in my opinion. While the 19th century take on the science stuff was fun, I don't know if he ever quite succeeded in developing the enigma of Captain Nemo quite enough. Still though - a fun ride.

[ Wednesday, March 05, 2008 13:33: Message edited by: Drew ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #43
I have been reading Ian Bank's Matter, it is part of the culture series. I am enjoying it a great deal. It just came out in February 2008

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.

Add your one star vote to my tally.
Warrior
Member # 6934
Profile #44
I've just read 'The Curious Incindent of the Dog in the Night-time' by Mark Haddon. I recommend this book to anybody who likes... uh... to read.

Before that it was 'Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close' by Jonathan Safran Foer, an equally heart-breaking and heart-warming story. Also by the same author, the wonderful 'Everything is Illuminated', made into a fine movie with Frodo Baggins. Lovely.

--------------------
Always try to be true to yourself - unless you suck
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #45
We recently finished Macbeth in English, which now replaces Romeo and Juliet in my mind as the worst story I've ever read. I think the only other literature I haven't liked is Fallen Dragon, which says a lot.

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Warrior
Member # 14343
Profile Homepage #46
I just finished re-reading the Chronicles of Narnia series by C.S. Lewis, throughly enjoyed it.

It's funny to get some adult perspective on books you read as a kid....I guess the same goes for movies too.

Next up I'm going to read "Life of Pi" by Yann Martel, I've heard it's good.

I don't seem to have as much time as I used to for reading books, I guess I'm on the computer too much, playing spiderweb software games :P

--------------------
"And if I had the choice I'd take the voice I got / Cause it was hard to find. / You know I've come too far to wind up right back where I started." - Concrete Blonde (True)

http://tobylinn.awardspace.com
http://toby-linn.stumbleupon.com/
http://www.flixster.com/user/tobylinn
BANNED
Member # 13806
Profile #47
Not to question an adult perspective, but by "adult perspective" I assume you mean "perspective of having the most rudimentary of religious indoctrination"?

For clarity's sake, you understand.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #48
Presumably he means that, as an adult, she is aware of the religious indoctrination, while as a child it was subliminal.

Meanwhile I have finally got around to reading Dune. It's only taken me 14 years since deciding to read it, to actually open the thing. Ah the joys of procrastination...

Edit: corrected. Apologies to TobyLinn

[ Monday, March 31, 2008 20:46: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Warrior
Member # 14343
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by Micawber:

Presumably he means that, as an adult, he is aware of the religious indoctrination, while as a child it was subliminal.

Yes that is what I meant...and I'm a she by the way :D

As an adult you are aware of the religious/christian aspects of the book, while when a child it sails right over your head. Actually I try not to pay attention to the religious aspect anyways, and just think of it a good fantasy story.

By the way I hope you like Dune, I read it last about 10 years ago and have to re-read it one of these days....this time I have the other four books (I only want to read the ones by Frank Herbert) and can read the rest of the series.

[ Monday, March 31, 2008 15:02: Message edited by: TobyLinn ]

--------------------
"And if I had the choice I'd take the voice I got / Cause it was hard to find. / You know I've come too far to wind up right back where I started." - Concrete Blonde (True)

http://tobylinn.awardspace.com
http://toby-linn.stumbleupon.com/
http://www.flixster.com/user/tobylinn

Pages