What have you been reading recently?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What have you been reading recently?
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #75
Les Miserables, though my favorite book ever, seems a strange choice for an AP English class. What's next? The Brothers K?
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #76
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Les Miserables, though my favorite book ever, seems a strange choice for an AP English class. What's next? The Brothers K?
Well, my English teacher also happens to be my French teacher. Nonetheless, she tends to assign us college level material, so...

--------------------
Decca Records - "We don't like their sound. Groups of guitars are on the way out."
Lack of Vision
Member # 2717
Profile #77
quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:

Colossus: The Rise and Fall of the American Empire by Niall Fergusson. It actually makes a decent argument for why the American Empire should stay.
I find Niall Fergusson has lost his mind. His last coherent book was the Cash Nexus. After that it's all been neocon bull****, with Colossus probably being the worst offender.

--------------------
Pan Lever: Seventeen apple roving mirror moiety. Of turned quorum jaggedly the. Blue?
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #78
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Well, my English teacher also happens to be my French teacher. Nonetheless, she tends to assign us college level material, so...

College level English material, or college level French material?

—Alorael, who is surprised that a class is willing to take the time necessary to read through Les Misérables. That's a doorstop of a book, and every second spent reading it isn't spent prepping for tests.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #79
I'd take that over Tess of the flipping D'Urbervilles, which I had to read in high school. Bleah.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #80
Worst high school read for me was Wuthering Heights in 10th grade, without doubt.

[ Thursday, May 01, 2008 03:58: Message edited by: Drew ]
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #81
I've never liked books in which the only real plot complication is characters who desperately need some sense slapped into them. No doubt our own lives would seem the same way from an omniscient viewpoint, but that doesn't make the books any less annoying.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #82
I guess there are different viewpoints in terms of what you want from a book. My dad will only read books which have strongly drawn characters, doesn't care about the plot or ideas. Clearly for other people they just want a gripping plot (e.g. John Grisham) or lots of good ideas (e.g. James Blish) and not necessarily the other elements. Each team may find it difficult to appreciate other styles of literature, e.g. my Dad could not understand the point of Asimov, SoT did not care for Hardy, while I personally struggle with Dostoevsky.

[ Thursday, May 01, 2008 13:11: Message edited by: Micawber ]

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #83
Nalyd just finished Maus 1,

--------------------
Fear us, mortals, but never envy, for though we burn with power, our fuel is our sorrows.

Indeed, mortals, we envy you.

Pages