Favorite Spiderweb Game

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Favorite Spiderweb Game
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #0
I put all of the spiderweb games in this poll, now vote!

[ Monday, January 14, 2008 12:00: Message edited by: Xel'Raga the Slaughtering Omnimoose ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 4 question(s). 3 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=DeloSLdKIJrd"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=DeloSLdKIJrd"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks!
Viva Khyryk!
Vivan los Serviles!
Vivan los Travokites!
Tastes like Bambi, delicious
If you don't want to type my full name, call me Xel.
People, stop insulting my signature.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #1
You forgot all the Richard White Games. And Subterra.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #2
Well, who was going to vote for Homeland?

Anyway, the results for the first question will be interesting; will there be a split vote between Exile and Avernum?

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #3
Hopefully, there will be, and the superior Geneforge will come out on top. Geneforge II, preferably. That game is everything a Geneforge game should be. Choices, choices choices! I wanna use canisters and enslave creations! Best characters, least linear, all around the best Spiderweb game.

But again, Avernum II will win because everyone here is so white. Or... something like that.

--------------------
You lose.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #4
quote:
Hopefully, there will be, and the superior Geneforge will come out on top. Geneforge II, preferably. That game is everything a Geneforge game should be. Choices, choices choices! I wanna use canisters and enslave creations! Best characters, least linear, all around the best Spiderweb game.

Maybe, But the choices can get a little overwhelming and you can get stuck pretty easily, but yeah its a very good game, I mean its Jeff Vogel, its got to be good!

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks!
Viva Khyryk!
Vivan los Serviles!
Vivan los Travokites!
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #5
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

But again, Avernum II will win because everyone here is so white. Or... something like that.

You want a go little man?

And I would vote for Homeland. That game gets to much slagging.

--------------------
"Fear that which mortality has rejected" -Galvin Magnus
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #6
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

You forgot all the Richard White Games. And Subterra.
Those aren't Spidweb games, nor are they even carried by Spidweb anymore.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
"To fly, throw yourself at the ground and miss." -The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #7
That doesn't mean that they don't have a place in the history of Spiderweb, and you know that as well as we all knew two Thursdays from last week.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
A2 is the best of the old Avernums, G4 is the best of the Geneforges (or demos, at least; it's the only one I've finished), and A5 is really good.

I called A2 my favorite, although it's really neck and neck with Nethergate, and I think in a few years when nostalgia has some time to balance A5 may pull even.

—Alorael, who still doesn't think Blades belongs in these comparisons. They're great scenario creation kits and solid game engines. The scenarios can be compared individually to individual games, but the entire Blades catalogues against Spiderweb's games is an apples to orchards comparison.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #9
Blades of Avernum. Before the game was realeased mine was Blades of Exile.

--------------------
I dub thee...
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #10
Tyranicus will, of course, place an image of Nethergate. But you know, I don't count BoA into the count because it is an "endless" game, so I cannot express my opinion on the entire thing.

But my favorite is A2, followed by G4.

And the Exile series used Roman numerals, dippy.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
Muffins n' Hell: The End is Near
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking

Just so you know, I am working on Muffins n' Hell the scenario.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
and the Exile series used Roman numerals, dippy.
I know, I just didn't feel like putting it in, not that important anyway
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #12
Nethergate, hands down. After that, Avernum 2, and then Geneforge 2.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - White, two sugars. :)
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #13
IMAGE(http://tyranicus.dreamhosters.com/G6000.bmp)

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #14
Nethergate and Nethergate: Resurrection really deserve separate entries. I know they have more in common than Exile and Avernum, but some of the differences are more than striking enough to make one preferred: mainly the skill point system.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
"Slartucker is going to have a cow when he hears about this," Synergy said.
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #15
Indeed. I quite enjoyed N:R, but I like the original better.

[ Wednesday, January 16, 2008 18:52: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"Dumbledore returns from the dead and declares it to be hammertime, Harry proceeds to break it down, Voldemort is unable to touch this." —Dintiradan
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #16
What an original thread.

Exile II followed very closely by the original Nethergate, hands-down.
Shock Trooper
Member # 9906
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
What an original thread.
What an original post. :P

--------------------
Vivan los Drayks!
Viva Khyryk!
Vivan los Serviles!
Vivan los Travokites!
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #18
I would have to say that my favorite of all has to be...Avernum 4. I know..I know, hate me if you will but the gameplay is so simple. You also get some health and spell power back after each battle! :D
My next favorite was Exile 3 (what a big difference). My favorite Geneforge game (since I've only played the first one) is Geneforge 1.

As for Homeland, although I found it to be pretty hard to move and fight, and the way money is (even early on) totally sucks, I found that the story line to be fairly captivating. It is just one of those games that one has to get used to before ever becoming any good at it. :( NOTE: I've only played the demo version of this game so don't think that I myself am an expert on it's inner workings. :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Welcome to my home...NOW GET OUT!!!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #19
You're totally right about Homeland - it's impossibly difficult unless you spend a good amount of time studying the game's mechanics.

"The way money is" does *not* suck, by the way. The game has a lot of little traps that are especially nasty for players who are used to conventional RPGs. It forces the player to pay attention to a lot of things.

For example :

1) The sword is more expensive than the axe, but the axe is actually a much better weapon. So you should never buy a regular sword, and you should sell any swords you find.

2) Tobe tells you to go kill snakes to earn some money. While it helps a little, you really shouldn't spend more than 10 minutes (maximum) doing it. Instead, head to the sewers of Mandelin and pick up the piles of trash lying around. Sometimes, a gem (namely a ruby) will be under the trash. Take any rubies you find, put the trash back on the ground, and sell the rubies to Fyela.

The only equipment you need to buy in the demo = 1 Axe for Keegan, a few of the most effective Snakeskin items, some torches, and a training bow if you feel like it. That's about it.
Korr should have Sandra's Knife equipped until you reach the Isle of the Winds, at which point you'll probably want him to equip an elemental weapon like IceBreaker or ForgeFire.

I'm sure the money system seems much more balanced now. :P

Oh, and by the way, I guess your post means you haven't received my CD yet? It should really be in your mailbox soon. :)

[ Thursday, January 24, 2008 10:55: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #20
I'm curious about how Homeland is played now. Searching via Google disclosed no results, so does anyone know where to download the demo?

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #21
You could have waited until Avernum 5 was released to Windows before making this topic...

Exile 2 was my favorite Spiderweb game as a child. It was the first one I completed the demo for and registered, and so it holds a nostalgic place in my heart. I'm also a fan of the Geneforge games and Blades of Avernum.

[ Thursday, January 24, 2008 16:20: Message edited by: Enraged Slith ]

--------------------
Enraged Slith's Blades of Avernum Website

Look out, there's a three-headed monkey behind you!
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I'm curious about how Homeland is played now. Searching via Google disclosed no results, so does anyone know where to download the demo?
Apart from the few people who have the full version (myself, Zxquez, and soon Archmage Solberg), the demo can be downloaded here :

http://www.dragonlore.com/Download.shtml
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #23
Thanks

--------------------
set_name(1,"Excalibur");
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #24
quote:
Originally written by The Lurker:

Oh, and by the way, I guess your post means you haven't received my CD yet? It should really be in your mailbox soon. :)
No I haven't received it, but I'm hoping to get it today or definately Monday. :cool:

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Welcome to my home...NOW GET OUT!!!

Pages