Who Killed General?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Who Killed General?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
reliable free forum hostings
I'll add that one to the list.

- MS Works
- Friendly Fire
- Military Intelligence

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #26
Another for the list:

Commercial free television

Still it doesn't happen that often when the board acts up with massive 500 errors. More large topics will have to be locked for the good of the boards
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #27
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Time and convenience. These boards exist as a means for the fans of Spiderweb Software to communicate; they are not, however, the primary purpose of the company; releasing software is and these boards exist primarily for the game forums.

At the time UBB was one of the better ones out there and far superior to the old Ikonboards. While yes, Jeff and Mariann could make a different set of forums, this is a time sink. Realistically, what does that gain them? Not a whole lot. The forums work 99% of the time and serve their intended purpose. The time investment to set up a new, more stable message board is not justified.

Couldn't UBB.classic just be converted using an automatic converter though? I know that phpBB2 has an automatic converter module for UBB.classic 6.x which once imported into phpBB2 could be upgraded to phpBB3.

http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=169217
http://www.grahameames.co.uk/phpbb/

Meh, just a suggestion...

--------------------
Open Blades of Exile Cross 32-bit Project
Know any Win16=>Win32 porting resources? Let me know!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #28
Aran, is there a reason I'm only getting 8 pages of Omaha Mall Shooting in the archive? Thanks!

(Of course, I'm only interested if there are replies after mine. If there weren't, ah well.)
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #29
I just now remembered...
For those who didn't see this topic.

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #30
¡Ay! These issues are cropping up all the time now on here. They used to only occur every 5-10 times, but now its occurring at least once every time..

--------------------
Lifecrafter
Member # 6388
Profile #31
quote:
Originally written by Jeran Korak:

Also, may I ask if UBB is so unstable [i]Why the hell stay on it??[/i]
Man, I've always wanted to meet someone who only knows one question.

[ Thursday, December 27, 2007 22:35: Message edited by: Najosz Thjsza Kjras ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by *i:

Time and convenience. These boards exist as a means for the fans of Spiderweb Software to communicate; they are not, however, the primary purpose of the company; releasing software is and these boards exist primarily for the game forums.

At the time UBB was one of the better ones out there and far superior to the old Ikonboards. While yes, Jeff and Mariann could make a different set of forums, this is a time sink. Realistically, what does that gain them? Not a whole lot. The forums work 99% of the time and serve their intended purpose. The time investment to set up a new, more stable message board is not justified.

It would take me about 25 minutes to make it and about another 2 hours to insert all the details. And quite a large ammount of that time would be because I'd have to wait for my poor internet connection to open things.

--------------------
The one and only.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
quote:

It would take me about 25 minutes to make it and about another 2 hours to insert all the details. And quite a large ammount of that time would be because I'd have to wait for my poor internet connection to open things.
And can you guarantee that it'd also be more secure? It's my understanding that the switch from Ikonboard to UBB happened in response to a hacking attempt.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #34
Hacking attempt? When?

--------------------
Don't judge a sentence until you know all the words.
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are sort of done. Helpful criticism is welcome.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.

Be grateful you have your unsellabe trowels -Goldenking
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #35
Back in 2001.

Point being the status quo works 99% of the time and serves its intended purpose. In other words: it works well enough. Switching is always a risk because it is difficult to predict how other forums will behave in the long haul. Yes, switching might be easy in theory, but there is no incentive to do so.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 9887
Profile #36
I have a question, are internal server errors the same as 500 errors? Because I have never got 500 errors, only internal server errors, in fact I got one just now.

--------------------
Hmm... Ornks, gazers and guacamole. What kind of food would you get?
=:T:=
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #37
Some internal server errors are marked as 500 somewhere on the message page. There are others.
Apprentice
Member # 11730
Profile Homepage #38
quote:
Originally written by The Ratt:

I have a question, are internal server errors the same as 500 errors? Because I have never got 500 errors, only internal server errors, in fact I got one just now.
Internal Server Error = HTTP 500 Status code

A 500 error is an internal server error. Generally you are supposed to get HTTP status code 200, which means the connection worked and content is being downloaded. Occasionally a 301 or a 302 status code, which means the site moved. 404 is missing destination. 401 is forbidden, and i think that wraps it up...

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #39
It's my understanding that the internal server errors don't have anything to do with the fact that we use UBB - they're based on the traffic and load that the ironycentral server is experiencing.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by King InuYasha:

quote:
Originally written by The Ratt:

Internal Server Error = HTTP 500 Status code

A 500 error is an internal server error. Generally you are supposed to get HTTP status code 200, which means the connection worked and content is being downloaded. Occasionally a 301 or a 302 status code, which means the site moved. 404 is missing destination. 401 is forbidden, and i think that wraps it up...

This does, actually.

---

While the 500 error is not directly caused by the UBB software (it is a server message), the load on the server is a function of what software is running to display the pages. They wouldn't happen if UBB was more efficient with server resources.

Web servers are now optimized for different things than they were when UBB was new. UBB Classic uses flat files (it's older than cheap DBMS like MySQL and PostGre). Wide replacement of flat files with a separate, dedicated DBMS layer is one of the technological shifts that have occurred since then. A modern webserver configuration would assume that an application uses a database backend and may just not be cut out for interpreted scripts reading and writing large text files very quickly.

---

About OMS being cut short: Database hickup. No data loss, the topic record was set to a length of 194 for no obvious reason. Fixed now. I'd look into what caused it (I suspect it's happened at least once with another topic), but it's so rare and non-fatal that I'm putting it a bit further down the todo list.

[ Saturday, December 29, 2007 07:59: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

About OMS being cut short: Database hickup. No data loss, the topic record was set to a length of 194 for no obvious reason. Fixed now. I'd look into what caused it (I suspect it's happened at least once with another topic), but it's so rare and non-fatal that I'm putting it a bit further down the todo list.
When I look at the last few pages now, I get this: "Uh-oh! This topic is empty. That means either the file is missing, the file is corrupted, or the program is messed up."

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #42
I propose the creation of back-up boards. Some one who has time, and the desire and knowledge do so, should make a set of boards set up exactly like these ones. Same sub-forums (Exile trilogy, General, etc.) same links, and so forth.

If UBB ever dies or Jeff decides to get rid of the forums, we could just have a bot or a few ambitious members transfer the active topics from the archives to the new boards and the community could continue almost uninterrupted. Should one of those situations arise, I'm pretty sure Jeff would be willing to take the time to change the Forums link on his page to say "Here's where our fans tend to hang out."

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #43
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

I propose the creation of back-up boards. Some one who has time, and the desire and knowledge do so, should make a set of boards set up exactly like these ones. Same sub-forums (Exile trilogy, General, etc.) same links, and so forth.

If UBB ever dies or Jeff decides to get rid of the forums, we could just have a bot or a few ambitious members transfer the active topics from the archives to the new boards and the community could continue almost uninterrupted. Should one of those situations arise, I'm pretty sure Jeff would be willing to take the time to change the Forums link on his page to say "Here's where our fans tend to hang out."

I could create a forum. But I could never get it looking exactly like UBB. But I'd be happy to help out any other way I can. I STRONGLY second this notion.

--------------------
The one and only.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #44
Huh. It seems nothing of interest has happened in my absence.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #45
Nothing interesting happens when you're here.

--------------------
You lose.
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #46
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

Nothing interesting happens when you're here.
As Kelso would say, "You got burned man! Burned!"

--------------------
This is what happens when you drink Life Water: [SQLSTATE[42000]: Syntax error or access violation: 1064 You have an error in your SQL syntax; check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near '' at line 1]
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #47
Meh. Kelso was cool. ET is just a poseur.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #48
quote:

I could create a forum. But I could never get a substantial membership to stick around.
FYT. It's been tried, and most Spidweb satellites have failed. And honestly, I don't like the thought of you being an admin... of anything.

--------------------
TM: "I want BoA to grow. Evolve where the food ladder has rungs to be reached."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #49
It's not supposed to be a satellite. It's supposed to just sit there, completely empty, awaiting the possible demise of these boards, when it will spring to life as a near-seamless replacement.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.

Pages