Who celebrates Christmas?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Who celebrates Christmas?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #0
Should be self explanetory.

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 1 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=ikBVWNHvHkNf"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=ikBVWNHvHkNf"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, but not sanity -Iffy
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are still under developement, but help would be nice. By the way, most of the conversation goes in the Moderator forum, in case your confused.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #1
I celebrate the Winter Solstice and Capitalismas, but not Christmas.

--------------------
"I'm happy I'm the mentally disturbed person I am." -Nioca
"Yes, Iffy is a demon." -Iffy
The Two Universal Truthes:
"All I know is that I know nothing" -Socrates
"I think, therefore I am." -René Descartes
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #2
I celebrate it as a time to be together with family, exchange gifts, and see old friends back home. Jesus has little to do with it for me anymore.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #3
I second that...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
I distribute and accept presents to and from friends. I gorge myself on chocolate with lots of cinnamon and coriander, and I enjoy meeting with family members and getting in a festive, warm spirit. Does that count?

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #5
Thats what Christmas in about, as well as exchanging gifts.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, but not sanity -Iffy
Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I like this image
Not in your shed -We are still under developement, but help would be nice. By the way, most of the conversation goes in the Moderator forum, in case your confused.
Everyone, just call me Iffy. Please.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #6
Christmas is so rarely religious now adays, I'd doubt that the majority of Christians actually celebrate it as the Birth Day of Iesus Christ. The way most people celebrate it, with out much if any at all Christianity, you might as well just rename it Capitalismas.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #7
No, us pagans are just taking back our stolen holiday, so we needn't change the name... :P

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #8
Ah, but the solstice is actually around the 21 December in the Northern Hemisphere. I should know, I celbrate it. Along with the Equinoxes and the Summer Solstice.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #9
December 25th is actually a pagan holiday.

Having very little interest in birthdays, I fail to see why it should be celebrated. Anyways, Jesus was supposedly born around Easter. (Like that's true).

Christmas is capitalistic. For what purpose? People, the only good present is socks. Or at least that's what I think.

--------------------
A Bile Crux
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #10
quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I'm wholly aware of the variety of Pagan Winter Festivals, but this thread is about Christmas in particular.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #11
I celebrate Christmas. Admittedly most Christians celebrate it in the more secular form. Even I'm not innocent of that.

Speaking about it being a pagan holiday I think it was a celebration for the Roman god Saturn but my ancient history is a bit rusty.

It is true that Jesus was more likely born sometime in spring. When ever some says that Christmas offends their religion I chuckle under my breath because its so far removed from the traditional Christian celebration that its now a secular holiday

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #12
What's this thing about solstices Goldenking?

quote:
a secular holiday
Almost all Christian holidays are secularized, and the one that aren't are paid little attention.

--------------------
A Bile Crux
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by Goldenking:

quote:
Originally written by Excalibur:

I'm wholly aware of the variety of Pagan Winter Festivals, but this thread is about Christmas in particular.

Sol Invictus

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Quaere verum
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
I give Jesus a tip around this time for all the hard work he has done for us during the past year.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #15
I have enough (nominally) Christian family members that we do celebrate Christmas in a manner that closely resembles Thanksgiving: big gathering, big dinner, lots of talking, and presents. Yes, we also tend to give gifts on Thanksgiving. At least everyone is thankful for them!

On the other hand, this Christmas celebration is not on the 25th very often, because that's frequently a time for travel, gathering with other family, churchgoing, and so on. That means that Christmas day is usually free for the traditional Jewish celebration of Christmas.

—Alorael, who already knows which Chinese restaurant he'll be heading to, with whom, and which movie everyone will be going to see afterwards. It's the Sweeney season!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #16
Swing your razor high, Sweeney! I understand the movie actually isn't going to feature the musical's opening anthem. :(
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #17
quote:
Originally written by Hanged Man:

—Alorael, who already knows which Chinese restaurant he'll be heading to, with whom, and which movie everyone will be going to see afterwards. It's the Sweeney season!
I took a stab in the dark on Friday and told my friends that Jews always go for Chinese on Christmas based on, oh, three examples. Hearing this, maybe I'm sort of on to something. Do most Jews get Chinese on Christmas in the US?

I don't celebrate Christmas anymore. We used to do it with my mom's relatives, but there were issues with them so now we don't. But latkes...mmmmmmmm...

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Iffy is begging for a PS3:

Should be self explanetory.
I just realized: It's spelled planetary.

Although I'm confused as to what self-explanetary would mean. Removing oneself from the surface of the planet? I can think of a few people who ought to be self-explanetary in that case.

( :P )

--------------------
The Noble and Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaBlades ForgeArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Decorum deserves a whole line of my signature, and an entry in your bookmarks.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #19
By Shard of Fire
quote:
Do most Jews get Chinese on Christmas in the US?
There's quite a bit of Chinese food that isn't Kosher. So I don't know, but I'm wondering why you thought that.

--------------------
A Bile Crux
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #20
Chinese restaurants are typically open on Christmas, since it isn't a real holiday.

--------------------
Synergy, et al - "I don't get it."

Thralni - "a lot of people are ... too weird to be trusted"
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #21
There's quite a lot of Chinese food that's vegetarian. That's always kosher. And yes, Jews apparently do this. Actually, it's somewhere between a tradition and a joke, much like a great deal of Jewish culture.

—Alorael, who will in fact admit to spending more Christmas dinners at home eating non-Chinese than not. But it's still an important thing!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Swing your razor high, Sweeney! I understand the movie actually isn't going to feature the musical's opening anthem. :(
I've heard that too... :(

I celebrate Christmas in a way not wholly unlike Aran, but with less coriander, and more Jack Daniels.

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - bigger than Jesus?
Warrior
Member # 12481
Profile #23
I kind of celebrate something on that date. Like, my whole family is heathen so we have blots to all the gods, do the whole big sit down and eat and talk and presents thing; we also have Polish Christmas as my grandfather is Polish. That usually happens on the 24th but this year we're doing it on the 22nd (so it coincides with the summer solstice, woot!).

--------------------
Third generation geek and heathen!
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
(so it coincides with the summer solstice, woot!).
When they incorporated winter festivities with Christmas, they completely left out the southern hemisphere. So I suppose Santa pulls a sleight with kangaroos there.

--------------------
A Bile Crux

Pages