What was the last book that made you go "Wow"?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What was the last book that made you go "Wow"?
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #0
I mean, books where you got so attached to the characters and the plot that you're left in a sort of daze. Books that affected how you thought of the world.

I just finished reading one: "Thirteen Reasons Why" by Jay Asher. It's about a girl's suicide note, which is sent to 13 people who, if you aren't able to guess, caused her to make her decision. Normally I wouldn't pick up a book about this subject because all the ones I've read have handled the subject completely wrong and I've found them offensive and have shown that the authors have not researched the topic well(what mental hospital forces the patients to go camping for a month before it releases them? or lets them go home for the holidays? yup, "Impulse" was a waste of time), but this one was reccommended to me and was incredible.

Sorry about the run-on sentence. *hands out cookies in hopes people won't yell about it* :o

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

"Sanity" available at
http://cdbaby.com/cd/arianamorrow
and
http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewAlbum?playListId=257479700

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Cryptonomicon. Since then I've read Snow Crash and Quicksilver by the same author, but while both were great neither astounded me the same as the first.

I get something like claustrophobia when the setting of a book is confined to a small area. The effect I liked most about Crypto is therefore that it appeared to set the whole world as the scene. Even though the story spanned half a century, and the author went into page-long rambles about obscure mathematical phenomena, it was fast-paced.

The story also managed to suspend disbelief completely. It's a bit refreshing, after so many years, to see a novel that actually contains computers without indicating the author as completely ignorant of technology. I can't speak for most of the mathematics (or, in fact, history), but all of these were described with a sense of realism that actually made me check Wikipedia to see which of the historical characters didn't exist and which did.

I last felt this wowed by a book when I read Lord of the Rings seven years ago.

--------------------
The Noble and Most Ancient Order of Polaris - We're Not Yet Dead.
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS [This Topic / Forum] • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
The Myth Adventure series by Robert Asprin with the last novel, Mis-Gotten Gains, where it looked like Aahz might finally get his powers back. Sure they're silly, but figuring out literary and pop culture references while still having a story that grabs you and have an investment in how things turn out is rare.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #3
Mein Kampf.

Okay, not really.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #4
"Siegfried" by... no, not Richard Wagner, by Harry Mulisch. That's an important Dutch writer.

So anyway, the book's a writer, who gets totally obsessed by the question "what was Hitler." He visits this ols couple, they were two of Hitlers servants, and they tell him a story, Hitler's greatest secret, that he had a son. The story is for a great deal about this son... and his very sudden death. Overpowered by all the emotions, eventually the writer dies back in his hotel room.

I was listening to the third movement of Shostakovich's fifth symphony, so you people who know it might understand how extremely depressed I was when I had finished that book. Nevertheless, though, I felt like "Wow". I'm quite hapopy to have read it...

I'm also sure that it was translated to Eglish since the Mulisch is so important, so I can recommend it to you. And by the way, the theme is not a favorite of mine. Still I was dragged into the book.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #5
circle of magic quartet by tamora pierce.
she has actually written about 4 quartets now i think and they are all ones you cant put down.

the circle quartet was a great set of books, all about magic and those who wield it. well worth the read

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #6
The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle (and Murakami in general) makes me go wow, but mostly in a mystified way. In a good mystified way.

—Alorael, who definitely wowed at Cryptonomicon too. And it was a year ago that he read it. Almost to the day! It's getting to be time to read it again. The Baroque Cycle was even wowwer, too.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #7
Anyway, I can't really say what the last one was.
However, I am writing a book. The idea has been in me for a while.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.

Muffins n' Hell|Muffins n' Hell: The Muffins Are Back Again
I have an addiction to Spiderweb games.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #8
I question the quality of any book written by someone who's a teenager, or younger.

Not to mention that your scripts have me seriously questioning your book.

On topic then, I'd have to say I don't honestly know. I've read some good books, but none that changed my view of the world.

--------------------
i dont ned noo steenking signachur.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #9
It will be nothing at all like my scripts.
I will actually revise it (and have my sister who is very good at writing read it).

Besides...you don't know the extent of my creativity.
However, I should have expected someone to make that assumption.

Edit -Dikiyoba's scripts changed my view of these forums...but that is it.

[ Tuesday, August 14, 2007 07:58: Message edited by: No more muffins ]

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
What was the last book that made you go "Wow"?
Honestly, I go wow with a lot with books and then a couple of weeks later I am able to make a more balanced judgement.

I suppose the last book that made a really lasting impression on me was The First World War, by John Keegan.

--------------------
"Blink and you're dead... Don't turn your back, don't look away and don't blink."

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #11
This shouldn't be such a difficult question, yet I'm having trouble remembering anything about the books I've been reading. I guess nothing's made a lasting impression for a year or two of reading.

What I can remember is that Les Miserables certainly had quite a strong impact on me. Intense ending. Sad - but enjoyable. Just for the huge feeling it invoked.

But then.. there have been other books that somehow struck deep within me. And those are even more years away. :\ I need something new to read..

--------------------
Pannaan kaikki hippulat vinkumaan! ^_^

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by No more muffins:

Besides...you don't know the extent of my creativity.

You're right. As far as anyone here can see, it's making up polls.

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #13
If that is what you, and everyone else thinks...you don't know the first thing about me.

Also, some of you search all my posts for things you can use against me and only pay attention to that.

Have you guys ever considered that I am intelligent (which I am)?
Besides, I am young so I am not fully mature.

Yes, this post is spam. But it is a reply to what other people have said.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
quote:

Have you guys ever considered that I am intelligent (which I am)?
Since you keep telling us, yes. You really shouldn't tell us, though. Actions speak louder than words. The act of self-aggrandizement drowns out what you're actually trying to convey.

quote:
That's why there's some skepticism about your book.

quote:
Yes, this post is spam. But it is a reply to what other people have said.
No, it's not spam. It's relevant to the discussion.

—Alorael, who facepalmed no fewer than four times while reading this thread. That's close to a record for something that hasn't reached page two yet.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Also, some of you search all my posts for things you can use against me and only pay attention to that.
No one has to seach, because you talk about yourself constantly. Stop doing that, and topics will stop devolving into a muddle of Muffin-mockery.

Back on topic, Dikiyoba is probably impressed more often by non-fiction than fiction, and typically only a chapter or line rather than the entire book.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

—Alorael, who facepalmed no fewer than four times while reading this thread. That's close to a record for something that hasn't reached page two yet.
Easy there; that's Slarty's job, if I remember right.

I've tried writing a book several times, always fiction, but it never really goes anywhere. I always find it to cliche or to similar to something I've already read, and thus abandon it.

As for ones that make me go wow, the most recent on was The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane. I really thought I was there till the end, and it's rather amazing that the author never saw it himself.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #17
quote:

I'm thirteen too. But I got off the everyone-yells-at-me-for-existing-on-a-forum hook.

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

No one has to seach, because you talk about yourself constantly. Stop doing that, and topics will stop devolving into a muddle of Muffin-mockery.
It's more because we're predisposed to criticize him.

Muffin: Hi guys.

Us: Are you aware of how obnoxious it is to increase your post count like that? Say something constructive for once. You're not helping anything.

--------------------
"Of course, not all technology is good. Some is exactly the opposite (bad)." — Dave Barry
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
Ahem.

I believe the topic is about books you have read, not books you are writing or attempting to write.

In that spirit, I encourage every would-be writer to start reading a few books first. It is very helpful.

--------------------
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS [This Topic / Forum] • BlogNaNoWriMo
Did-chat thentagoespyet jumund fori is jus, hat onlime gly nertan ne gethen Firyoubbit 'obio.'
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Back on topic, Dikiyoba

:V

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
The Letters of Abelard and Heloise. They would be great if they were fiction. But they're true!

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #21
Toward A Psychology of Awakening by John Welwood. It caused me to revise many of my thoughts about human psychology, and spirituality for that matter. It was so rich, I felt like I needed to contemplate every chapter after reading, yet it was written in a very uncomplicated fashion.

The book on Jungian dream interpretation I am reading right now is good, but not wow good.

The recently read book on how sun cycles are driving our climate, rather than the CO2 global warming myth, was excellent material that settled in scientific terms what I already knew was the case more generally. Anyone who relies on a politician to get their science makes me wonder.

-S-

[ Tuesday, August 14, 2007 15:09: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 ItemsA4 SingletonG4 ItemsG4 ForgingG4 Infiltrator NR Items The Lonely Celt
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #22
Harry Potter... no I'm serious.
Other recent books I've been impressed by are Justinian by Harry Turtledove (using the pseudonym H.N. Turteltaub), and Regina's Song by David and Leigh Eddings.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
BoaEdit
Warrior
Member # 7638
Profile #23
Ender's Game

Simply amazing. It was the only school assignment I ever liked.

--------------------
"640K ought to be enough for anybody."
-- Bill Gates, 1981

It's time to meet your maker!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Synergy:

The recently read book on how sun cycles are driving our climate, rather than the CO2 global warming myth, was excellent material that settled in scientific terms what I already knew was the case more generally. Anyone who relies on a politician to get their science makes me wonder.

-S-

How about relying on data to get our science?

Wait, I'll drop it. We don't want a repetition of that topic.

--------------------
EncyclopediaArchivesStatsRSS (This Topic / Forum) • BlogNaNoWriMo

Pages