Elitist?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Elitist?
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #0
A member of my forum staed that there was a whole load of "elitist crap" over here. Am I to take it that this means we hate noobs? Or is it something else?

--------------------
You Shall Die Laughing: http://www.worfthecat.ermarian.net/converted

The Roost: www.roost01.proboards104.com. Birds of a feather flock together.
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #1
Well, partially.

Elitists would be people who think that the elite should rule.

Sometimes used to discriminatorily label people, like liberals, who don't have experience with the real world. Like aristocrats.

Also used to describe "Hollywood liberals".

It's most often used disciminatorily against liberals. Which is why I hate it.

So your friend most likely thought we were a bunch of left wing idiots.

--------------------
Born in the year 1984.

War is Peace.
Freedom is Slavery.
Ignorance is Strength.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #2
I don't think that's quite what they meant...

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #3
There are clearly some established members who have great influence... and then there are established members who don't(such as me). That's true for just about every site. Most of the 'elitist' crap isn't as much of a big thing around here as it was back in the day(when I was somebody*insert laughter here*). Now as best as I can tell, there isn't an elitist group(anymore), but like most forum sites, there are some overly egotistical individuals *cough*Ephesos*cough*.

[ Tuesday, June 12, 2007 17:19: Message edited by: Big McLarge-Huge ]

--------------------
You've long since crossed over into unfounded speculation.
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #4
Well, it was Nioca that said it.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #5
Sounds like someone got their feelings hurt and is taking it out on your board. I wouldn't call Spidweb Elitist. They're all fairly friendly folk here, as long as you're not a dumbass.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #6
Or a noob, from what i can tell.

--------------------

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #7
I believe that many people perceive this forum to be elitist for a variety of reasons. First of all, by convention we all use well-punctuated English even though this is only a game forum. We have some members who have highly intellectual or scientific jobs (particle physicist, etc.).

In serious discussions or debates, we tend to use a diction or tone that is scholarly or intellectual. We also place an enormous amount of emphasis on stringently sound, rational arguments. This in particularly may be perceived as purposeful pretentiousness and elitism. Many people could easily judge the rebuttals against their arguments on this forum to be excessively pedantic and technical in nature.

While I do not believe that the left-wing political connotation of the term elitist is the foremost issue at hand, there is still some validity in Orwellianking's point. The community in this forum seems to pride itself on being morally progressive, and we advocate a liberal consideration of minorities. Constantly taking the moral high ground and claiming that one's position is more civilized than a more conservative one can become very irritating very fast to someone who disagrees.

EDIT: I just wanted to reiterate my point that a god awful argument on these boards is mercilessly shredded, sometimes without any consideration for the poster.

[ Tuesday, June 12, 2007 17:29: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7331
Profile Homepage #8
I agree with the EDIT, I have been a victim more than once.

--------------------

Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #9
Okay. So if you think you're going to post something stupid, that could possibly make you look like an idiot, then don't post it if you're that paranoid. Otherwise, suck it up.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #10
Associating the term "elitist" with left-wing politics is perverse. It can be done, and it can be done with good reason, but the more obvious association is with right-wing politics.

As with any community, there are people who are definite, established members of the community, and there are people who aren't. Some say that we dislike new people in the community because they're new, but I disagree; I dislike most new people in the community because they're stupid. A few stick around and either they become less stupid or I get accustomed to skipping their posts.

But it has been said that I was new for about five minutes and then was pretty much accepted. I remember BSC, who was another such. So the community can't be elitist if it is so welcoming to those who write interesting, intelligent posts.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #11
Kelandon-
quote:
Some say that we dislike new people in the community because they're new, but I disagree; I dislike most new people in the community because they're stupid. A few stick around and either they become less stupid or I get accustomed to skipping their posts.
Nalyd would guess that he belongs in the latter category, excluding Geneforge debates.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #12
A whole lot of people belong in that category. :rolleyes:

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Big McLarge-Huge:

...there are some overly egotistical individuals *cough*Ephesos*cough*.
Well, as long as we're making personal attacks, I hate you too.

--------------------
Thuryl: "Runescape: for people who are too stupid to save their games."

Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.
Infiltrator
Member # 7298
Profile #14
I sense a flame war.

The arrogance that comes with elitism can be quite annoying it often causes people to dismiss other arugments out of hand without even looking at it. I also find out that when playing against someone with this sense of elitism I have beaten people who I should not have been able to beat.

Another problem with the term is that people use it because they are sore losers. If some one can't win an arugment they often use the term elitism to hide their failures.

I pefer not to use such terms and ignore them when I see them. I find it much less convinceing to accuse some of elitism then to let the person build their own grave.

--------------------
A rock has weight whether you admit it or not
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #15
Why can't we all just get along?

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #16
Let me explain what I mean by elitist. It originated back when Robinator made a visit to the boards for about 3 or 4 months. During it, he commented on how many SW members were being over-critical and self-righteous idiots (to paraphrase), calling them elitist. Naturally, he was quickly shot down by many members, including myself. At the time, I don't really think it was even that much of a problem right then. However, in the interim, I have seen people harassed and belittled by other members (not naming names here) because they aren't as up-to-speed on a topic as other members, have poor spelling and/or grammar, or, god forbid, make one lousy mistake. This isn't a forum for rocket scientists, people! It's a game forum! A place where people from all walks of life can join together and discuss a common element: Spiderweb games. And, in all honesty, I think some of you have lost that idea.

Safey mentioned that it's better to let the issue lie rather than come out and say it, and let the offender(s) dig their own grave(s). I think that's another part of the problem as well. Members who take this attitude tend to receive approval from other members. Thus, there's no reason to stop, since they're doing something that's generally approved of, rather than frowned upon.

In summary, I hope people can look past this. Spiderweb was and still is a welcoming place. But I fear that if this doesn't stop, it could irreparably damage the community as a whole.

[ Tuesday, June 12, 2007 19:04: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #17
Kel, good point about the association of the right wing with elitism. I forgot to mention that.

Nioca, that was very clarifying. I generally agree with your position.

I also have a random thought about one of the reasons for the presence of this perceived elitism on these boards. On message boards for multiplayer games like Warcraft III and Halo, many of the posts involve members discussing strategy or challenging each other to a game. Here at the Spiderweb Boards, we lack the option of achieving merit or superiority by competing in direct game matches. Hence, we instead focus our attention on employing rhetoric and winning intellectual debates.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

However, in the interim, I have seen people harassed and belittled by other members (not naming names here) because they aren't as up-to-speed on a topic as other members, have poor spelling and/or grammar, or, god forbid, make one lousy mistake.
Yes, and you know who I think does the most harassing and belittling around here?

You.

No, really. Look. I've caught you red-handed: insulting other members, speaking derisively of others, and yelling at people! You're out of control! Your reckless behavior must be stopped before it ruins the fun of these boards for everyone. Therefore, I respectfully ask that you leave before you force the administration to ban you.

See, throwing around random accusations isn't fun for anyone but yourself. I quite enjoyed myself, though.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Yama:

Why can't we all just get along?
Now, where did I put my club?

:P

Edit - Kel, that was freakin' awesome.

Re-edit: I fail to find amusement in the concept of elitism here. While there are some diamonds, and quite a few spades, there are a huge number of hearts. Clubs are right out of it though, since the media doesn't permit. The concept of the boards self-destructing over this perceived elitism is amusing, as they have survived since day one with highly intelligent and motivated members. That we don't tolerated leet-speak, bone-headedness, ass-hattery, and ad hominem attacks makes this place more attractive to more people that spend more money on these games. The folks that get insulted by all the high-falutin' wurds and such are the same ones that beggorz for hackz and other such phantom-ware.

But still, Kelandon has already won this thread. I am in awe. Huz!

[ Tuesday, June 12, 2007 20:26: Message edited by: Jumpin' Sarcasmon ]

--------------------
WWtNSD?
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #20
...In all seriousness, where did I say I was innocent in all of this? But I'm doing more than throwing around random accusations.

--------------------
Scenarios need reviews! Please rate these scenarios at the CSR after playing them!
AmnesiaDileciaThe Empire's New GroveExpress Delivery
Twilight ValleyWitch HuntWhere the Rivers MeetFoul Hordes
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

However, in the interim, I have seen people harassed and belittled by other members (not naming names here) because they aren't as up-to-speed on a topic as other members, have poor spelling and/or grammar, or, god forbid, make one lousy mistake.
Yes, and you know who I think does the most harassing and belittling around here?

You.

No, really. Look. I've caught you red-handed: insulting other members, speaking derisively of others, and yelling at people! You're out of control! Your reckless behavior must be stopped before it ruins the fun of these boards for everyone. Therefore, I respectfully ask that you leave before you force the administration to ban you.

See, throwing around random accusations isn't fun for anyone but yourself. I quite enjoyed myself, though.

Zing!

--------------------
EncyclopaediaArchivesMembersRSS [Topic / Forum] • BlogPolarisNaNoWriMo
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
I have a love of woodwind instruments.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

As with any community, there are people who are definite, established members of the community, and there are people who aren't. Some say that we dislike new people in the community because they're new, but I disagree; I dislike most new people in the community because they're stupid.
Hear, hear! Let me point out that if you join the community, and don't act stupid from the beginning, no one ever picks on you.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Sarcasmon:

Edit - Kel, that was freakin' awesome... But still, Kelandon has already won this thread. I am in awe. Huz!
Hear, hear!

I happen to disagree with about 90% of what you’ve just said, Nioca. English is my second language, and when I first started the boards my grammar was quite embarrassing. I made a lot of mistakes, which is why I hate looking back at some of my old posts. However, I don’t remember being treated bad by anyone on those grounds. I’m thankful that the members in these boards are the way they are, because they actually helped my English. They would correct my grammar at times, but not in a pompotous manner and I appreciated it. I seem to recall Magma feeling the same way I do about this.

I did get warned and even insulted a couple of times. But it was because in said times either I was spamming stupidly (and yes there is a difference between spamming for fun, and acting like an idiot while you are at it. I’d know, I’ve spammed a lot :P ), making pointless threads, or speaking of things that I knew nothing about. I am one of the ones that have said “This isn't a forum for rocket scientists, people! It's a game forum!” quite a lot. Only when I see people over-react in a debate or taking things seriously. However, that has never affected me nor a new member. It has only affected those in the debate. If you aren’t prepared to deal with that kind of environment then don’t get involved in it. Nothing says you have to participate in a debate. Overall, newbies are often warned to stop spamming, stop making pointless posts/topics, and to calm down way before any insulting or harsh actions are made.

Every forum has its good and bad things. It’s been said a number of times that we prefer been seen as “elitists” than as a forum filled with pointless topics that go on forever to the point where no one reads them, where all of its members are illiterates, and everyone behaved as if they were eight.

Edit: Fixed quote.

[ Tuesday, June 12, 2007 20:41: Message edited by: M. ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #24
Let's hear it for elitism, because it keeps out the lower classes. It's not too much to try to have a better level of discourse when you aren't answering gaming questions. If you want to start a debate, then you better be ready for the results.

Pages