Operating Systems

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Operating Systems
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #0
This poll was inspired by a topic over in Tech Support.

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 50 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=AXvMnoJyqqap"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=AXvMnoJyqqap"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
WWJD?
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #1
And I know which one.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #2
DOS will live forever!!!

--------------------
The Silent Assassin thinks that I'm looney.
The best operating system obviously comes with the Wii.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #3
The first question really should have the option to select more than one answer.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #4
Lol. At the moment there are 8 mac users and 8 that prefer mac and 6 windows users with 2 preferring "other".

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
So? Yes, you can make a case about Windows users being idiots who know better but don't act on it. But you can also argue Windows users are less deluded about how much their OS sucks. :P

quote:
Originally written by Lenar:

DOS will live forever!!!
Indeed: That is not dead which can eternal lie, and with strange aeons even death may die.

I use XP. I love Linux (all of them, though I have a special liking for Debian as well as Fedora). I basically ignore Mac. I despise Vista and 95 with all my heart.

[ Sunday, April 15, 2007 22:44: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #6
I need a demo of the Mac and Linux OS's to objectively answer this question. I have never used them before.

[ Monday, April 16, 2007 05:16: Message edited by: Jewels ]

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

The first question really should have the option to select more than one answer.
Seconded. Though my iMac is my working machine, I have used Windows XP for a very long time when I didn't have my new Intel iMac, but my old iMac G3.

Other than that, I hope this topic will be clean of Windows/Mac/Linux bashing.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #8
I doubt it. With that said, to save everyone a lot of time...

Every OS sucks. Period. That's what the end result of the platform arguments should end in.

...Or at least the would if people were more objective(like that'll ever happen)

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #9
I use Windows. I like Macintosh better.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by LF:

I doubt it. With that said, to save everyone a lot of time...

Every OS sucks. Period. That's what the end result of the platform arguments should end in.

...Or at least the would if people were more objective(like that'll ever happen)

Nah, I would say every OS has it's pros and cons.

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #11
For clarification:
I use both Windows XP and OS X quite regularly.
My personal computer (where I run any games that I own) runs Windows XP.
The multitrack console and mixing machine that I use for a good deal of my audio work is a ProTools interface, which is only supported on Macs.
Incidentally, I ran a Counter-Strike server off of a Red Hat Linux box for a year. I've decided since that I like having a GUI. A lot.

My all-time favorite OS is Windows 2000, noteworthy for its stability, security, backwards compatibility, and the ability to have tactile control over just about everything without having to manually open the config files.
And seeing as Windows has all but disowned this particular OS, choosing to look pretty and marketing to an ignorant consumer, I chose Other.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has given up on the OS wars and believes that the next great argument of any significance will be a debate over pie.
He believes that the best way to deliver is by applying the first to the face, and then spreading the rest evenly over the rest of the body.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #12
Used to use Windows, then Linux, now back to Windows again. I've invested too much time in Windows now to want to switch to another system again. But I always keep cygwin and emacs installed, because they are so much more convenient than relying solely on windows-ware.

--------------------
"I can't read this thread with that image. But then, that's not a complaint." -Scorpius

Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #13
Bah. I have a light switch hooked up to my processor. I prefer handling I/O on my own, thank you. And I hunt down and kill processes myself.

On a more serious note, I make regular use of Windows 98, Windows XP, and Unix (mostly good ol' bash).

--------------------
I had some eyeglasses. I was walking down the street when suddenly the prescription ran out.
- Steven Wright
Guardian
Member # 5360
Profile #14
Nalyd has a Mac, but he wants a Shaper control panel.

--------------------
May the fires of Undeath burn in your soul, and consume it.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #15
http://aycu07.webshots.com/image/12806/2004930000399454808_rs.jpg
'nuff said

Edit: Link it.

[ Monday, April 16, 2007 16:28: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #16
Desktop War!

Its all about the Mac.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/Dahak/desktop.png

Edit: And link again!

[ Monday, April 16, 2007 16:28: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Warrior
Member # 8131
Profile Homepage #17
AppleGeeks nice! This is my work desktop. Nuffin too fancy. Rotates between a folder of about 100 desktop pictures. Also have a second monitor that is running XP, Vista, or Ubuntu full screen at any given time.

Personally I don't care what you use if it works well for you, BeOS, AmigaOne, Windows ME(if you're using this I do care, seek mental help) but if you're family or freinds begging for support all the time I usually cut ya off the support teet at some point and suggest getting a Mac. For most purposes and users I find the Mac OS to be superior, but by all means use WIndows, Linux, whatever, competition is what drives companies and organizations to make better products. I'd hate to live in a world where we only had a lone platform to choose from.

http://homepage.mac.com/macdude22/pics/desk.png

Edit: Do not stretch the page.

[ Monday, April 16, 2007 16:27: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #18
Oooh, a Starbridge.(I like Valkyries better)

I'm a Mac enthusiast. I wish I had the funds to buy a Boot Camp, but fourteen-year-olds don't make good money, so I'm stuck with an Imac running on Mac OS 9.2 and a Power PC on Mac OS 8.1.

--------------------
WWJD?
Infiltrator
Member # 148
Profile #19
I preferred Starbridges and later Carriers. My only problem is that the Starbridge is a trader rather than a warship class. so don't use it for those missions that require a warship. I missed out on the Auroran sidequest because of that. =(

--------------------
My ego is bigger than yours.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #20
Hmm… Starbridge, eh?

Gotta admit, I haven't really gotten into EVN so much. My favorite ship of all time was the Atinoda Kestrel, from EVC. Makes me wish they made desktop pictures for it back then. :(

I am a Mac user who is forced to use Windows for school. It's tragic, really.

I can see merits in both, I just much prefer Mac.

And since we're posting the desktops…
http://i77.photobucket.com/albums/j47/OneWingedAngel88/Misc/desktop.png

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #21
Current:

http://stuff.ermarian.net/arancaytar/images/desktop/desktop-2007-04-07.jpg

I must say, what with all the Mac desktops, XP feels almost feel non-conformist again. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #22
I have always had a Mac at home, and have become quite used to the OS. Even after a great deal of exposure to Windows, as is required by society in the current era, I still very much prefer OS X. I did run Linux on a laptop for a while, however, and enjoyed it. I might have become a convert if the laptop had to been an ancient device that simply died one day.

Oh, and my current desktop . Rather boring by the previous standards.
If I knew where Aran got his pictures (like the one on his desktop wallpaper and the new one he uses to close topics), I would likely have a more interesting background.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by macdude22:

AppleGeeks nice! This is my work desktop. Nuffin too fancy. Rotates between a folder of about 100 desktop pictures. Also have a second monitor that is running XP, Vista, or Ubuntu full screen at any given time.

Personally I don't care what you use if it works well for you, BeOS, AmigaOne, Windows ME(if you're using this I do care, seek mental help) but if you're family or freinds begging for support all the time I usually cut ya off the support teet at some point and suggest getting a Mac. For most purposes and users I find the Mac OS to be superior, but by all means use WIndows, Linux, whatever, competition is what drives companies and organizations to make better products. I'd hate to live in a world where we only had a lone platform to choose from.

http://homepage.mac.com/macdude22/pics/desk.png

Edit: Do not stretch the page.

Hey! You are the dude from MacConsumers, aren't you? How nice to see you here.

EDIT: Oh yes, three desktops, running all on my iMac. When I have the time I could make a screenshot of my Windows Boot camp partition.

Vista-on-Mac (Though I removed this already, it's nice anyway)

Windows XP-on-Mac

My OS X desktop. Nothing too fancy. Just the plain thing.

[ Tuesday, April 17, 2007 06:18: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------

Where the rivers meet

Give us your drek!
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #24
I'm not sure if my desktop would break the CoC -- for, actually, various reasons -- so it will stay unsnapshotted.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00

Pages