Exile or Avernum

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Exile or Avernum
Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #0
Let's get this thing settled before I take my leave. In another forum (you all know which) there was aonther poll about the best Spiderweb Series (NOT including Blades). It left out Exile and a frenzy was born.

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 59 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=oalKEWiCrdoU"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=oalKEWiCrdoU"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Agent
Member # 8030
Profile Homepage #1
quote:
It left out Exile and a frenzy was born.
And even though I protested many times the reason, no one listened.

[ Tuesday, March 27, 2007 18:20: Message edited by: Excalibur ]

--------------------
WWJD?
Infiltrator
Member # 8
Profile #2
We don't really need all these polls, especially on topics that have been covered ad nauseum

--------------------
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big
Posts: 699 | Registered: Thursday, September 20 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #3
IMAGE(http://www.nethergate.net/exile.bmp)

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #4
Last before the lock, maybe?

For the record, obviously, I like Avernum better, but the margin is getting thinner all the time.

[ Tuesday, March 27, 2007 18:35: Message edited by: Malakos the Freshly-Plowed ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
Avernum is newer and awesome! Exile is also awesome without being nostalgic. Well, okay, E2, E3, and BoE are. E1 is just a bit too crude for me.

Oh, yes. I do feel some nostalgia for the games, but they're awesome without that too.

—Alorael, who prefers Avernum by a comfortable margin. He can appreciate reasons to disagree, though. Sometimes you just want to Mindduel someone.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #6
Dikiyoba is a Geneforge freak, but not nearly as freaky as some of the other ones. It's always a very close call between the Geneforge Series and the Avernum Series.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #7
Geneforge freak, but I voted Avernum since it has a better chance of beating those Exile-loving sickos.

--------------------
You lose.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #8
This poll doesn't really present the options in an equitable way which is unlikely to influence the results at all.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #9
Cloaca Cola is the real thing. Dyspepsi Cola will always be a false god.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Dyspepsi Cola will always be a false god.
Blasphemer. Dyspepsi FTW! They really did win the Cola Wars.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #11
Short summary from the other thread: Exile has better graphics and spell system. Avernum has better dialogue and skill system and is more polished. Overall, Avernum wins by a slight margin.

As for the more important debate in the thread, I usually go for the Dyspepsi uniform, because I think it looks better than the Cloaka one. I use it only as an MP restorer anyway, so the two are interchangable for me.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Warrior
Member # 5186
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

Short summary from the other thread: Exile has better graphics and spell system. Avernum has better dialogue and skill system and is more polished.
I agree with this as well...
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #13
Woot for Nethergate!

Sorry, but the Avernum fans have to pay homage to Nethergate, because without it, Avernum probly would've have come into existence.

Anyway, if there was a remake of Avernum and Exile that took the best aspects of the two: Exiles graphics(though they could use some polishing) and spells & Avernum's character set up, game interaction, and some of the graphics; and bam! great game. I'd probly buy it.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #14
Exile, Exile 3 was the irst spid game I got and I've always had fond memorys of it almost 5 years ago when gaming was still in its infancy.

--------------------
The force is with ME! I'm not so sure about YOU!

Never trust a man who can say "Pickles" with a manic gleam in his eye.
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #15
You know, I honestly can't say for sure I like Avernum's skill system better. Sure, it's neater in a lot of ways, and Exile's had skill loopholes out the wazoo...

...but I liked how the fixed costs and (relatively) low limits meant that you could expand into multiple fields of ass-kicking on each character rather than needing to hardcore specialize for diminishing returns.
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #16
True, though variety is nice.

Although, come to think of it, Avernum had a bunch of redundant skills... truthfully too many for it's own good. And as stated by Imban, the changing prices of the Avernum skills was a pain.

So I should make some corrections...

Has the best parts of both skills systems: Avernum's variety(sans unnecessary reduncies) and Exile's fixed skill point costs; plus a compromise max value between the 2. Exile's biggest skill max is 20, while Avernum's is somewhere over 100. Thus I say 40 would be a good max.

--------------------
"I don't understand a word you just said. Try speaking American. It's the only language I understand."
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #17
I on the other hand, love superspecialization. Training a character all the way up in one particular thing is more appealing to me. I just find it easier if everyone has straitforward roles in the group. For example I like to have one superstrong defensive character who can dish out some damage to "tank" the monsters, then a second more damage heavy character, then my priest and my mage. It's more conceptual to me than actually pragmatic. Perhaps it's why I'm not a very skilled player.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #18
It's worth pointing out that even Zeviz's reasonable and moderate assessment is far from universally agreed upon. I personally despise Avernum's dialogue system; and I know there are those who (for some strange reason) prefer Avernite graphics.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #19
All my base are belong to Avernum.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty, so blame him if it's filthy...
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #20
For the trilogy alone I'm really on the fence about it. I'm much more comfortable with Avernum because I played it first, but I do like the way Exile works better than Avernum.
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by WiKiSpidweb:

I on the other hand, love superspecialization. Training a character all the way up in one particular thing is more appealing to me. I just find it easier if everyone has straitforward roles in the group. For example I like to have one superstrong defensive character who can dish out some damage to "tank" the monsters, then a second more damage heavy character, then my priest and my mage. It's more conceptual to me than actually pragmatic. Perhaps it's why I'm not a very skilled player.
Suppose your token healer dies, then everyone's screwed. Sure, being overly well-rounded is a great weakness as well, but when push comes to shove, it doesn't hurt to have variety.

I've noticed that Avernum's system, unlike Exile's, kinda makes it harder to have variety and not completely and utterly suck

--------------------
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #22
Avernum, definitely crazy of geneforge, but avernum.
And it's over specialization that killed the dinosaurs.
So yes, you are ( "censored" ) when you take the over specialization drug.

[ Wednesday, March 28, 2007 07:16: Message edited by: upon mars ]

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #23
I'm not attached to the increasing costs, but I like having secondary skills based entirely on the other skills you have. I also like having the base value of some skills determined by other skills, although that seems to have been mostly removed from the more recent Spiderweb games.

—Alorael, who isn't quite sure how Avernum discourages jacks of all trades. Increasing costs should make it more worthwhile to invest a little bit in many things. No, it may not work out, but fixed costs are a step in the wrong direction.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2080
Profile #24
I fail to see how fixed skill value is a bad thing. It worked just fine in Exile, while Avernum's skill system is a pain. At a relatively early point a character simply doesn't get enough points to raise a single skill at anything that could be considered by even the most lax imagination as a decent rate.

--------------------

Pages