Spiderweb Monthly Stats - February 2007

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spiderweb Monthly Stats - February 2007
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #50
I think it's high time to shut down the stats again, Aran.

--------------------
So, do you live around here often?
- Steven Wright
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #51
I doubt Muffin's posting rate has anything to do with the stats. In fact, I'm not even sure he knew of the stats before this topic, but his posting habit was already quick and insane. In fact, it's similar to the posting rates during the spamfest.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #52
I don't think the stats should be shut down yet. After the early surge of posts, I think it will slow down again for this month.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #53
A large chunk of Muffin's recent posts are in response to comments about him and the recent imposter.

The boards tend to equalize on their own.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #54
If the insanity of the current spam-fest continues well past the release of G4, then the rankings should go away for a while. Otherwise, I don't think it's much to worry about.

Honestly, though, I wouldn't mind seeing them disappear. What I would like to see, however, is the return of the all-time post rankings, which have only displayed an empty list for quite some time.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #55
(reads the recent posts on this topic)
What is this Ed incident?

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #56
Ed was, well, one of the low points on these message boards. He started a lot of pointless topics, insulted people by calling them various vegetables, apologized, begged for forgiveness, and soon insulted people again. He was finally banned. He was here about a year ago, if you really want to browse through the old topics and see his posts.

Edit: Originally by Ephesos:

quote:
What I would like to see, however, is the return of the all-time post rankings, which have only displayed an empty list for quite some time.
Dikiyoba seconds that.

[ Tuesday, February 20, 2007 18:45: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #57
If we hadn't scared away Mr. Poser, he probably would have been another Ed incident.
But I don't insult and perposly start meaningless topics.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #58
I don't think most people have it in them to be Ed. Spamming and getting Canned or Banned is easy and frequent. Alternating between enraged bouts of calling people vegetables and pleading for mercy takes a special kind of person.

—Alorael, who thinks the Fake Muffin incident had none of the hallmarks of an Ed. If it were Ed, he would have called you a silly artichoke, apologized profusely, and begged for another chance. Then he would have done it all over again.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #59
Wait, someone imitated Muffin?

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #60
One "Mr. Bojangles," who is apparently somehow related to Actaeon, used the PDN "Infernal Flaming Muffin" to imitate the real Flamming Muffin. After some brief anger, angst, and confusion, all was made well.

—Alorael, who believes it was less pure malice and more humorous malice. It wouldn't be the first time on Spiderweb.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #61
Alorael spent some time analyzing and editing the posts before locking the related threads.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #62
How is my month's post count higher than Iffy's? I have barely even been here for the past two weeks or so. Or… well that's what it seems like.

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #63
By Kyrek:
quote:
I don't think the stats should be shut down yet. After the early surge of posts, I think it will slow down again for this month.
That's just it: there shouldn't be any surge of posting. You have people posting only to increase their post count, citing that they need to win the race by the seventeenth.

--------------------
We live in a mobile home. Hey, there are advantages to living in a mobile home. One time, it caught on fire. We met the fire department half way.
- Ronnie Shakes
Canned
Member # 7704
Profile #64
Wow i didn't know i was ranked that high and how did you get this information?

--------------------
You can jump off a bridge, fire a gun in your mouth, drink poison,or going in to the tiger's pit but you will still end up dead it's a mater of time and how .
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #65
quote:
Originally written by upon mars:

Wow i didn't know i was ranked that high and how did you get this information?
Pact with the devil.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #66
I'm really wondering about this topic now - and the general concept of the stats. Didn't I buy myself a spot on the board of notable members at the cost of driving the community into the ground? I had similar scruples last year, and I turned off the stats for a month, but it didn't help anything - especially when I brought them back.

You know, back near the start of 2005, when I first thought of making postcount statistics, I thought "crap, this is going to completely break the community". One of two things I thought would do this - the other one being an "ignore" list that let you shut out posts by certain members. If postcount became an objective in itself, and all confrontation could be avoided, the Spiderweb community would cease to be about anything and become a paradox - a community that was about nothing at all but itself. That was a thought experiment which I tried to carefully test back in March 2005. It was not meant to be more.

But I brushed away those doubts when monthly stats became an institution and suddenly, I was on the fast-track to respect. Nobody would have voted me for mod back in 2005 for an encyclopedia (let alone one on Geocities). I'd be nothing now, even with my postcount - or if anything, certainly not admin of 2/3 of the active satellites.

So, in conclusion, I suck. I broke Spiderweb. And I did it for popularity. I'm not sure how significant my contribution was to doing it, but just look at what we've become.

I'm sorry.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #67
Thanks for the thought, Aran, even if it was sarcastic (I honestly can't tell). But we all kinda broke it.

(Kill the stats, please, before they kill us.)

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #68
The destruction of the stats will be a victory for the Concluding Resolution.

--------------------
You lose.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5545
Profile Homepage #69
They're all... gone. Either it's a miracle, or somethings wrong with my browser. Either way... a relief. If it is indeed not just me, I must salute Aran for his will power. It must have been hard.

--------------------
Plaudite, amici, comedia finita est.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #70
Eph: I don't think I've been less sarcastic or more honest with myself so far this year. I don't know why I dared to post that - chalk it up to me being tired, facing a lot of trouble by Friday, and having brooded over this for some time.

ET, I'll just have to live with that. Making the right decisions is not just about denying windfalls to your opponents. :P

And it's not just you, Actaeon.

I don't want to make a big fuss of this, like last year - that turned out a sham/flop after all.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 16:27: Message edited by: Dr. Johann Georg Faust ]

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #71
Darn, I will miss them. I liked them, but I don't post just to have a high post count. I post for fun, and I don't think that anyone would post just to have a high post count. It just doesn't make sense. Not very many people have enough relevent things to say the be the number one poster, and if people kept posting irrelevant things the rest of the board would get pretty annoyed with them. I don't think that it's the post counter that's killing the boards, I think that it is the posters.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #72
A glorious day.
IMAGE(http://img219.imageshack.us/img219/9250/tullyflague1.gif)

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #73
If it makes you feel any better, I ignore most of the stupid ouroborotic topics and still manage to consistently rank highly in the posting standings, although whatever goodwill the community may once have borne toward me has doubtless evaporated by now as a result.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 17:59: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #74
Kyrek, the post counter may be causing the posters to destroy the board, however. Unaware.

ET, one would almost think you were desperately trying reverse psychology.

quote:
ouroborotic
To go with ouroborosis, the name of the disease?

--------------------

Pages