Spiderweb Monthly Stats - February 2007

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spiderweb Monthly Stats - February 2007
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #100
Wow... Aran, I applaud you making the decision. And I echo what Alo said: there was never anything intrinsically wrong with the stats. It's just that the Heisenberg uncertainty principle of Spiderweb kicked in: by telling people about how they ranked, their behaviour changed (I suppose the converse would be Alec's thread: by telling people how their behaviour sucks, their posting changes).

I also don't think there's anything wrong with creating the stats for 'popularity', either. You did it pro bono, along with other, bigger things (the Encyclopaedia, the archives, free hosting...) Just think of the stats as a coding challenge you made for yourself, and passed.

--------------------
As a teenager I just wanted to fit in, just be one of the boys. It was tough. I went to an all-black school. I went so far as to have them print my negative in the yearbook. I think it was the black teeth that gave me away.
- Ronnie Shakes

[ Thursday, February 22, 2007 10:12: Message edited by: Dintiradan ]
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #101
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

*puts Synergy and Alex on the list, 13th and 14th respectively*
Awwww, I wanted to be 13. :(

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #102
Personally, I think you could get a pretty good idea of contents from posts. Do word counts, sentence counts, and comma counts. Look for the variation in words used, sentence lengths, and number of times parts of each post are quoted. Examine the average length of time between posts within a single visit to Spiderweb. Divide up the contents of each post into nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, and articles. Give bonus points for gerunds and proper use of the subjunctive! Put those who dangle participles on a special list! Make us watch our words!

—Alorael, who is aware that his suggestions range from the possible to the impractical to the impossible. He has faith in the EndeavorBot. After all, its creator has created bots who have done well on their Turing Tests before.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #103
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

Awwww, I wanted to be 13. :(
You are! I already demoted Synergy in another thread. Congratulations.

--------------------
You lose.
Canned
Member # 8014
Profile #104
quote:
Pale Flamming Muffin
I am okay again.
And my post count slowed down. Most of that 30 posts in one day was just spam.
Yes, I admit to that.

--------------------
I can transform into almost anything, though not sanity.
Muffins n' Hell. Note that revisions of the first part is down the list.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #105
Aran - you could evaluate posts for quality by deducting value for every instance of name dropping and every instance of URL linking within IronyCentral. That should demote 90% of the offenders. Replies that include quotes from 2 or more members should be given extra value. Once you determine the mechanics of the judging, don't publish them. It can be the meta-game!

Figure out how to structure your posts to get a better ranking! This should allow you (Aran) to feed your power-hungry soul, as you tweak the bot to persuade posts that are more and more to your liking.

:D

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #106
URL linking depends upon the forum. For general it usually goes to a previous useless page to make a point. Over in games it usually means a reference to save retyping something that has already been done.

The hard part will be a general program to detect spam. After all how would a bot consider a TM post that uses foreign languages to defeat the autocensor? In general TM as an example was usually spam, but in Blades he wasn't. Keywords will help, but spelling errors will confuse the bot.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #107
quote:
Originally written by Spent Salmon:

Aran - you could evaluate posts for quality by deducting value for every instance of name dropping and every instance of URL linking within IronyCentral. That should demote 90% of the offenders. Replies that include quotes from 2 or more members should be given extra value. Once you determine the mechanics of the judging, don't publish them. It can be the meta-game!

Figure out how to structure your posts to get a better ranking! This should allow you (Aran) to feed your power-hungry soul, as you tweak the bot to persuade posts that are more and more to your liking.

:D

Yes, and I should rename the project to Goog---

oh wait. :P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.

Pages