Spiderweb Monthly Stats - February 2007

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Spiderweb Monthly Stats - February 2007
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #75
I doubt that the posters post just to have a high post count. They post opinions and such, the post counter is more of a nice little thing of to the side that gives you information on what you have been like each month. It's just a useful thing to know, not something to make people post so that they get to be number one.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #76
I agree that the post counter promotes spam, but I'm not so sure that it's absence will do anything except reducing the amount of spam without increasing the amount of useful posting. Whether or not that's real progress is a matter of opinion.

In any case, we'll see. I salute you for being the one to attempt to do something about Spiderweb.

—Alorael, who finds it just a bit odd to declare oneself the sole cause of the Downfall of Spiderweb. Don't beat yourself up over it and don't give yourself an inflated sense of self-importance just because you collected and shared statistics.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #77
quote:
Aran:
ET, one would almost think you were desperately trying reverse psychology.

The stats had become yet another institution of the ancien régime. Surely their destruction is a victory for me. Somehow.

--------------------
You lose.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #78
Um, you are aware that the stats haven't even been around for two years, Aran is mostly only considered an oldbie by newbies, and newer members consistently made it into the top ten?

It seems a bit like having your spilled milk look like Elvis and calling it a sign that your cause has divine favor.

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 18:54: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #79
The stats were a fun diversion, like birthdays. A way to celebrate spam, nothing more.

True spamlonites will find other ways to clutter up these boards with drivel.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #80
Okay, so a bit of analysis. There'll probably be a lot of spam complaining about the death of the stats, and then more spam trying to predict the effects of...

Nevermind. It'll quiet down.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #81
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

It seems a bit like having your spilled milk look like Elvis and calling it a sign that your cause has divine favor.
Silence! How dare you tell me how to interpret my Concluding Resolution? You could not begin to fathom its machinations!

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #82
Please don't be disrespectful toward the very respectable and valuable asset we have here in Alex. You don't know what you're doing, and I'll get mad.

-S-

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #83
Aran, your stats are coming and going more often than Alec.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #84
Well, at least I'll still have my total post count.

*gazes fondly at his 6786*

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 19:54: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #85
I'll not be told not to defend myself or my ideas. No matter how unanimous their disapproval may be.

*puts Synergy and Alex on the list, 13th and 14th respectively*

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 19:58: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #86
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, at least I'll still have my total post count.

*gazes fondly at his 6786*

I think 6789 will be an even more interesting number to note.

-S-

[ Wednesday, February 21, 2007 20:05: Message edited by: Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #87
I doubt ending the monthly reports and access to the current numbers will do too much. Some people will post and spam no matter what and you know who you are.

Pale Flamming Muffin didn't even know about the page and he reached 30 in his 1st day. He'll probably reach 500 before the year is out.

Alorael will keep on posting barring another ban or loss of his internet connection.

Nioca would probably be a few hundred posts lower with out the monthly reports. Maybe 400 posts lower without the spamfest.

You aren't going to change the numbers too much. It just means we won't be able to measure them. Also no more month post topic.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #88
quote:
Originally written by Slartyphobia:

Aran, your stats are coming and going more often than Alec.
Alec has left and returned more than twice. The other times for the stats were for technical reasons and don't really count. I left in 2005 and said I would not be back in time for the next update, but this did not in fact happen.

Alex: Leave him to his delusions, I'd say. As long as he can't distinguish between oldbies and newbies, he doesn't know the structure of Spiderweb; until he does, his precious plans of domination are pretty much doomed.

Eph, Randomizer: Of course the end of the stats won't stop spam. But they were an essential asset of the school of thought that glorified spam, so at least one corner-stone of posts for posts' sake is close to toppling.

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #89
How come you never locked the topics so they wouldn't be spammed in? I mean, not being able to reply would help, wouldn't it?

--------------------
"I'm not crazy!"
"Well, whatever. Maybe you just ate something really questionable, or perhaps someone hit you on the head with something large, blunt and heavy just now. By the way..." Gil nudged Grul pointedly.

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery and DevArt page
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #90
quote:
Originally written by Now With Responsibility:

How come you never locked the topics so they wouldn't be spammed in? I mean, not being able to reply would help, wouldn't it?
ZOMG!

You mean like posting the stats and then locking the topic? Perhaps forbidding discussion of the statistics on the forum? Gah! Crazy!

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #91
quote:
Originally written by Now With Responsibility:

That's… a dirty, dirty trick…

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #92
Alas, I shall indeed miss poor Endeavorbot.

I feel that I should add, for posterity, that the only time I have ever looked forward to stats in my thirteen+ months here was the November release, at the end of the spamfest. All other times, I merely found it a novelty to measure my involvement in relation to the rest of the boards.

I now wonder if the oldbie generation is defined by what has been left behind...

I dunno.
Seeing as I found the end of stats and the end of the DikiFic within the same night, I suppose that it's finally hit me that we are still a new generation, and that we need to find something to define ourselves.

Huh. I feel all somber all of the sudden.

I suppose I will begin anew my efforts on the Lore of Ermarian.
Because the EE will probably be one of the potentially greatest things that this community has come up with.
And turtles, of course.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin believes that this post is a little to serious to tag.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #93
My little homunculus said to tell you he misses you all as well, but agrees with me that his current occupation may not be in the best interests of this forum, and would rather watch this place from afar than interfere directly with it. He added something about prime directives; I don't know, I never watched Star Trek myself really.

He did say he'd be glad to return if he could find a way to contribute less harmfully to the community - say, by calculating statistics that actually valued worthwhile posts rather than spam, aggregating by thread subjects, topic derailment, wordcount/content per posts or something like that. But since these things are far in the future for our young bot, he says he'll wait for the time being.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #94
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Johann Georg Faust:

He did say he'd be glad to return if he could find a way to contribute less harmfully to the community - say, by calculating statistics that actually valued worthwhile posts rather than spam, aggregating by thread subjects, topic derailment, wordcount/content per posts or something like that.
I think that would be even worse. At least generally encouraging posting, even spam, adds to the net quality content as well. I think if people thought their posts would actually be scrutinized like you are describing, they would post much less overall, even things that might have had interesting possibilities would be lost, and net quality posting would fall as well.

--------------------
You lose.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #95
There's already someone scrutinizing every single post you make, evaluating its quality, and judging you by it. They're called "other members". :P

What I'm envisioning is more an advanced karma/tagging system - if I could actually build machines that could accurately judge text content on their own, I'd be on some lovely private Pacific island writing my next best-selling scientific textbook instead of posting here. :P

But as I said, even the former is only pipe-dreaming right now.

--------------------
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #96
You know what would be interesting (and probably within your capabilities)? Aggregating a list of the words most frequently used by each member across all of his or her posts in a given month. A sort of (extremely) crude approximation of topicality. You could have a list of articles and prepositions to toss out.

That would be interesting and, probably, quite amusing. It would have to be a non-live list updated monthly though, to prevent abuse.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #97
Let's get top heavy and impose spam prevention. Mods could lock topics that are spamalicious and provide discussion on what is appropriate or not on these boards.

Eventually the serfs will fall into line with the daily drudgery and post appropriately, or not at all. Problem solved.

Leniency from above and lack of direction is causing these issues, not statistical compilation.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #98
quote:
Originally written by Dr. Johann Georg Faust:

My little homunculus
You get a Certificate of Redundancy Certificate!

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #99
Whoops.

But I didn't major in classical languages; I have an excuse. :P

--------------------

Pages