Girls: would you prefer to lay eggs?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Girls: would you prefer to lay eggs?
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #25
quote:
Originally written by Nemesis:

As Andraste said, it's apparently pretty unpleasant for them as it is.
And you didn't already know that?

A chicken egg every month seems like a small price to pay to me. Heck, I'd be willing to accept the egg laying myself if it meant we could prevent all the birth related injuries and deaths.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Raven v. Writing Desk
Member # 261
Profile Homepage #26
This all depends a lot on the size of the eggs we're talking about. Chicken egg sized eggs would be fine. Human baby sized eggs... not so much.

This would really cause a storm with all the pro-life and pro-choice screamers, though.

--------------------
Slarty vs. DeskDesk vs. SlartyTimeline of ErmarianG4 Strategy Central
Posts: 3560 | Registered: Wednesday, November 7 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #27
It's not as if I've researched or am familiar with this field, but I know that bird offspring 1) develop after being laid 2) develop further after hatching. It's not as if you'd be laying an entire, normal-baby-sized egg each month. So the choice seems to me to be between having one smaller baby per month, or going the normal route.

Also as I understand it, the act of laying an egg is quite a bit shorter than its alternative. One second it's not there, the next second you see a highly relieved mother with a fresh egg. Surely laying eggs is more uncomfortable, but it's also quicker and you could probably do it at your discretion, within a window of maybe one or two days.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #28
There is no debate to speak of if the eggs were human baby sized. Also, I repeat that I assume that the eggs would replace menstruation. The cramps from laying might be greater, but at least they are shorter and more definite.

quote:
This would really cause a storm with all the pro-life and pro-choice screamers, though.
Why would this cause debate within the abortion camps? Is it because people would scramble up the eggs and eat them?

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
====
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #29
Well, there's another factor that adds into this: population. Let's say that, out of an estimated 7 billion people on this planet, half (3.5 billion) are female. Now, if they laid an egg every month, that would be 12 kids a year, and assuming that a few of them didn't make it, let's say that 8 per year survive. This means that, for that year, 28,000,000,000 babies would be born in one year, which is 4 times the TOTAL world population. Needless to say, things would get a little crowded.

EDIT: after posting this, I already saw a counter-argument to these statistics. Let's take this a step further and say that, of 3.5 billion females, 1.5 couldn't lay eggs (Not old enough, physical disability, etc.). That's still 16,000,000,000 babies (a little over twice the TOTAL world population).

Also, with the current methods, women still have a choice in whether they have children or not. If they laid eggs, they wouldn't have this choice. And let's not forget, we already have premature births, premature in reference to the mother. If they laid eggs, we would have a lot of unprepared mothers out there.

[ Saturday, January 13, 2007 11:54: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #30
Uh, Nioca, there's have to be some sort of fertilization going on in there. The same thing goes for chickens.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #31
Human babies are already as little developed as possible when they're born. They're completely helpless because a more developed baby would be even more awful to squeeze out. So yes, I think human eggs would be more or less the size of human babies. They'd either need to contain the full baby or everything necessary to make it.

—Alorael, who would also like to remind everyone that you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

Uh, Nioca, there's have to be some sort of fertilization going on in there. The same thing goes for chickens.
I'm basing it directly on what Scorpius said, which was:
quote:
Originally written by Scorpius (emphasis added):

would you find it more preferable to ROUTINELY lay eggs like a chicken instead of menstruating once a month?
---------------------
This post is sponsored by the Incredible, Inedible Egg.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Infiltrator
Member # 8
Profile #33
quote:
Originally written by Time of Pellets:

—Alorael, who would also like to remind everyone that you can't make an omlette without breaking eggs.
Egg-xactly!

--------------------
"Names is for tombstones, baby." -Mr. Big
Posts: 699 | Registered: Thursday, September 20 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #34
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

quote:

I'm basing it directly on what Scorpius said, which was:
quote:
Originally written by Scorpius (emphasis added):

would you find it more preferable to ROUTINELY lay eggs like a chicken instead of menstruating once a month?
---------------------
This post is sponsored by the Incredible, Inedible Egg.

Chicken eggs are infertile, unless the chicken has mated with a rooster. That's why you don't have to worry about baby chicks hatching in your refrigerator (that, and the freezing cold). Some birds don't even lay eggs unless they're fertilized. Most would probably agree that this is the best route to take for humanity as well, but sadly it isn't an option.

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #35
Hm... if over-crowding due to egg-ceptionally high birth rates became a problem, I expect cannibalism omelette-style would come into vogue.

quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

I am so going to start using this question as a pickup line.
Do tell us how it works out for you. :P

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Apprentice
Member # 7823
Profile #36
*Joins Scorp in teh get-my-butt-kicked-for-this club*

If it functioned similar to other birds/large fish then, which only develope eggs once fertilized, do any of your oppinions change?

I'm not certain on how menstration would work then, though, so for the sake of this argument we will say it is replaced by the egg cycle. The question here becomes: 1 human baby aafter 9 months or 1 human baby sized egg after 9 months?
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #37
By Rakshasi:
quote:
Some birds don't even lay eggs unless they're fertilized.
How does this work exactly?

By Diki:
quote:
quote:
FORTRAN was the language of choice for the same reason that three-legged races are popular.
- Ken Thompson
Dikiyoba remembers you using that quote before.
That's possible. It was a while since I had to use WikiQuote for a sig, and I couldn't remember where I left off. Don't remember using the Emily White epitaph before. In my defense, it's style is fairly popular.

--------------------
Here lies the body of Sara Lee
Lived to the age of a hundred and three
For fifteen years she kept her virginity
That's quite the record in this vincinity
- Jaws
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #38
Out of curiousity, why are people equating menstruation with development of a fertilized embyro? My understanding, limited as it may be, is that women tend to expel an unfertilized egg every 4 weeks (or so), and it is small like pin head. Expulsion of that sized egg, while unusual, shouldn't be a problem if the human body had evolved (sorry IDiots and creationists) over millenia to perform that function.

The fertilized egg would likely have to develop outside the human female, as the current skeletal structure would not allow a fully functioning baby-sized egg to pass through any human oriface.

All this talk has made me hungry. Omelette!!!

[ Saturday, January 13, 2007 13:11: Message edited by: Spent Salmon ]

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #39
Originally by Alorael:

quote:
Human babies are already as little developed as possible when they're born. They're completely helpless because a more developed baby would be even more awful to squeeze out. So yes, I think human eggs would be more or less the size of human babies. They'd either need to contain the full baby or everything necessary to make it.
Would a human baby-sized egg even be possible? The largest known dinosaur egg is only about 30 cm/12 inches long (about twice as large as an ostrich egg). Much larger and the shell would be too thick for the young get enough oxygen or to hatch. Human babies are about 50–60 cm/20–24 inches tall when born. This seems like a problem.

Dikiyoba.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Human babies are about 50–60 cm/20–24 inches tall when born. This seems like a problem.

Dikiyoba.

Agreed. It would be a huge egg and most uncomfortable.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

quote:
Originally written by Nemesis:

As Andraste said, it's apparently pretty unpleasant for them as it is.
And you didn't already know that?

It's not that I didn't know it was unpleasant. It's just that, being a guy, I've never had to experience it. Therefore, I don't want to act like I understand something that I really don't.

quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Human babies are about 50–60 cm/20–24 inches tall when born. This seems like a problem.

Dikiyoba.

Thinking about it, though, most dinosaurs were much bigger than people. If they laid eggs that were smaller than newborn babies, wouldn't humans do the same thing in that case?

quote:

Agreed. It would be a huge egg and most uncomfortable.
So pretty much what you're saying is you'd rather not lay eggs? :P

EDIT: Response to Garrison.

[ Saturday, January 13, 2007 13:50: Message edited by: Nemesis ]

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #42
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

By Rakshasi:
quote:
Some birds don't even lay eggs unless they're fertilized.
How does this work exactly?

I don't know why. :P I just know.

From Wikipedia (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Egg_(biology)#Bird_eggs):
"Some birds lay eggs even when not fertilized; it is not uncommon for pet owners to find their lone bird nesting on a clutch of infertile eggs." Only some. Chickens are, in fact, the freaks.

--------------------
quote:

Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #43
We need to organize our different conceptions of how exactly this egg laying would work. From there it will be a matter of picking and choosing which features are acceptable as replacements to our current reproduction system. I will order them in lists from most desirable to least desirable characteristics.

Menstruation - replaced by egg laying
-Egg laying only when fertilized
-Egg laying every 9 months
-Egg laying every month

Egg Size
-Chicken egg
-Human baby

PMS
-Only discomfort during egg laying
-PMS replace by Irritable Egg Syndrome

Development at Hatching
-Current human baby
-More advanced, which would be similar to the status of many reptilian offspring that are basically miniature versions of their adult forms
-Significantly less developed, like a tadpole

Population Issues
-Women can choose when to lay eggs
-It is OK to dispose of unfertilized human eggs
-It is OK to eat unfertilized human eggs

EDIT: My opinion:
-Egg laying every month
-Chicken egg
-Only discomfort during egg laying
-More advanced
-It is OK to dispose of unfertilized human eggs

[ Saturday, January 13, 2007 15:42: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
====
====
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #44
quote:
Originally written by Garrison:

Development at Hatching
-Current human baby
-More advanced, which would be similar to the status of many reptilian offspring that are basically miniature versions of their adult forms
-Significantly less developed, like a tadpole

I don't think that the Current human baby would be most desirable - again, that would suggest a HUGE egg. I mean, there would have to be room for a baby to grow that much.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #45
Garrison, how do you expect the egg to be chicken egg sized and yet the baby to be more advanced than live birth?

My Opinion (by opinion I mean what I think would be the case, not what I hope would be the case):
-Egg laying every month, since that's basically what women do already, only, like someone said, it is a tiny tiny egg.
-Baby sized, since it will need all that room to develop enough to be born. Unless you go with the tadpole idea, which would have all kinds of new problems.
-Irritable Egg Syndrome, since all the hormones will be there no matter what. However, there will be no cramping since the womb wall or whatever doesn't have to break up. Still, there would be the whole giving birth every month problem, which sucks and is why this is a terrible idea. Women would probably get used to it, but it would mean the end of vaginas as we know them.
-Current human baby, to be more advanced the egg would have to be bigger. I don't think a human baby could live much less developed than they already are.
-It's okay to dispose of infertile eggs, I mean what, is the alternative to keep them all? I would probably also support eating, with the mother's consent of course, since there really is no harm done, and, even though it is gross, it would probably be really tasty.

[ Saturday, January 13, 2007 15:57: Message edited by: Emperor Tullegolar ]

--------------------
You lose.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

-Irritable Egg Syndrome, since all the hormones will be there no matter what.
No need for a huge hormonal surge if you don't need to prepare your body for pregnancy.

On the other hand, you're still going to want to prepare to lactate, among other things, so there's going to be some excess hormones running around.

quote:
-Current human baby, to be more advanced the egg would have to be bigger. I don't think a human baby could live much less developed than they already are.
Hey, so it turns out studying marsupial reproductive biology does come in handy in the real world after all.

Marsupials manage to give birth to extremely underdeveloped young basically by having organs which are essential for life outside the uterus (like the lungs) develop rapidly, while others (like the digestive tract) are in a much less developed state.

So basically, having human babies born at a much earlier stage of development would be feasible, but they'd be exclusively dependent on breast milk for a much longer period until their digestive system was fully developed. Also, since the brain would have to be born in an underdeveloped state (since the head is basically the biggest part of the baby), that means the skull would have to be soft for a considerable length of time after birth while the brain continued to expand, rendering young babies highly vulnerable to head injuries. The underdevelopment of the brain would also mean that much more care would be required on the mother's part, since the baby would be essentially incapable of fending for itself at all for quite some time. Marsupials have the benefit of pouches to protect their young; humans don't. (Although since we're already proposing that they lay eggs, I suppose they can have pouches too if you really want.)

[ Saturday, January 13, 2007 16:25: Message edited by: Cryptozoology ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Cryptozoology:

Hey, so it turns out studying marsupial reproductive biology does come in handy in the real world after all.
If I had a nickel for every time I'd heard someone say that...

... I'd have about five cents as of right now. And your concept of "the real world" is an interesting one. :P

[ Saturday, January 13, 2007 16:33: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #48
How many hit points should this egg have?

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #49
Not too many. It'd be fragile as an egg.

I suppose the expression "walking on eggshells" would take on an entirely new and sinister meaning, too.

—Alorael, who wonders if pro-lifers would start egging the houses of pro-choicers.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00

Pages