Happy Hanukah

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Happy Hanukah
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #0
Happy Hanukah to everyone out there. As we start off another round of holidays. Jews get to celebrate a minor holiday elevated to commercial importance due to its closeness to that other one.
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #1
Where is the rest of the second sentence? Since when was the celebration of the Jews' mythic and miraculous military triumph over their enemies to preserve their whole race a "minor holiday?" Since when was Hanukkah only important because of that "other holiday," to wit, Christmas?

Happy Chanukah everyone!

[ Friday, December 15, 2006 20:24: Message edited by: Garrison ]

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #2
Any holiday not listed in the first five books of the Old Testament is generally considered a minor holiday in Jewish tradition. After all those were the ones that God had chosen to be commerated.

I'm not sure when it started to move up in importance to compete with Christmas.

[ Friday, December 15, 2006 20:32: Message edited by: Randomizer ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #3
La chaim!

There was something interesting on NPR today about Woody Guthrie writing Hanukah songs and having them performed by some traditional Hebrew music group in New York.

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #4
Out of curiosity, is the 'official' spelling Hanukah or Chanukah?

If the mass letter from my MP is any indication, it is now bad form to mention one of Christmas/Xmas, Hanukah/Chanukah, or Season's Greetings without mentioning the other two in the same sentence.

--------------------
Actually, I can't see you because I would rather poke out my eyes with a burning stick than open them right now. But, hey, whatever.
- Roy (OotS #26)
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #5
I prefer "Chanukah", because the "ch" is often used to represent the guttural h sound in Hebrew-to-English transliteration. "Khanukah" would also work.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #6
Anybody notice the airport (I think Seattle) that removed it's Christmas trees? Seems a Jewish Rabbi asked the Airport Authorities to display a menorah and threatened legal action if the A.A. continued to discriminate by displaying only Christian symbols.

The A.A. decided that it would have to honor all or none and it just didn't have the resources for option one so it took them down. Now the Rabbi is worried about getting Jews tarnished as the Grinch people who stole Christmas. Thats what happens when you threaten lawsuits during holidays - but it will only be the sad little Rabbi who gets tarnished.

(And this is not fascetious) Happy Hanukkah. I still love my Jewish friends.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #7
The next day the airport put the Christmas trees back up and the rabbi withdrew his threat of legal action. He just wanted to balance out the holiday symbolism.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Dintiradan:

If the mass letter from my MP is any indication, it is now bad form to mention one of Christmas/Xmas, Hanukah/Chanukah, or Season's Greetings without mentioning the other two in the same sentence.
If you're talking political correctness, I'll hear none of it. Most people I know are actually slightly offended by it. For instance, my Mexican friends like to be called 'Mexican', not 'Hispanic'; my Black friends like to be called 'Black', not 'African American'. Likewise with religions and holidays. Be respectful of other cultures and beliefs, but don't forsake your own.

quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

The next day the airport put the Christmas trees back up and the rabbi withdrew his threat of legal action. He just wanted to balance out the holiday symbolism.
Yeah… if I recall, he just wanted Hanukkah/Chanukah to be acknowledged as well. Not an unfair request, by any means.

[ Saturday, December 16, 2006 01:01: Message edited by: Nemesis ]

--------------------
Do not provoke the turtles.
They do not like being provoked.

-Lenar

My website: Nemesis' Refuge
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

I'm not sure when it started to move up in importance to compete with Christmas.
I, being Dutch, still see a great part of the Christmas tradition as a rip off of Sinterklaas. Santaclaus... from the north pole? Yeah, sure.

Happy Hanukah!

(I think it's Hanukah, but my Hebrew spelling is quite bad...)

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 2820
Profile #10
In Hebrew it would be something entirely different of course. Any translation, I presume, is phonetically based. Hanukah, Hanukkah, and Chanukah are all accepted forms for the holiday.

My history of Hanukkah is extremely basic, so actually I would like to know how important Hanukah was when it first originated, Randomizer. I always thought, perhaps naively, that it was always a major celebration.

--------------------
Thuryl: I mean, most of us don't go around consuming our own bodily fluids, no matter how delicious they are.
====
Alorael: War and violence would end if we all had each other's babies!
====
Drakefyre: Those are hideous mangos.
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #11
I gave my girlfriend a yamulkah that I'd found on a street in New York. It was a nice, robin's egg blue satin and looked, oddly enough, kind of attractive. It only seems odd becuase I always thought yamulkahs were more functional than aesthetic. But maybe it's a calling for designer yamulkahs! (if that didn't pretty much completely undermine the humility that's supposed to be manifested in them)

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #12
Perhaps no one told you ... but they're meant to be worn by men.

--------------------
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #13
They're also spelled 'yarmulke'.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
Yes, but that's because English enjoys translation butchery. It's a kippah anyway! And if she likes it, it's a keepah in Boston. For that matter, I spell the hoiday (C)han(n)uk(k)a(h).

—Alorael, who wishes everyone a happy one. He's not going to write it again when it takes that much effort.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #15
By Thralni:
quote:
I, being Dutch, still see a great part of the Christmas tradition as a rip off of Sinterklaas. Santaclaus... from the north pole? Yeah, sure.
Right. Why get elves to do your work when you can get cheap Spanish labour? :P

I celebrate both pakjesavond and Christmas, actually, although Christmas is celebrated for religious reasons and pakjesavond is celebrated as an excuse to eat as much pepernoten as possible.

--------------------
Unix is like a toll road on which you have to stop every 50 feet to pay another nickel. But hey! You only feel 5 cents poorer each time.
- Larry Wall
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #16
quote:

I celebrate both pakjesavond and Christmas, actually, although Christmas is celebrated for religious reasons and pakjesavond is celebrated as an excuse to eat as much pepernoten as possible.
What's pakjesavond?

--------------------

-Lenar

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #17
Sinterklaas kapoentje,
gooi wat in mijn schoentje,
gooi wat in mijn laarsje,
dank u, Sinterklaasje.

It looks really, really weird to see that in print. I can say the words just fine, but wouldn't be able to spell them for the life of me. That's what Google's for.

--------------------
Psychotics are consistently inconsistent. The essence of sanity is to be inconsistently inconsistent.
- Larry Wall
Lifecrafter
Member # 7538
Profile Homepage #18
Yay! Another day to have a party!

Unfortunately, they probably won't make it a holiday in schools. -_-

--------------------

-Lenar

Shock Trooper
Member # 303
Profile #19
Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

That's right, I said CHRISTMAS! Not X-mas, Holiday or whatever bullcrap people are saying. If you don't believe in Jesus then don't cellebrate Christmas. That's the day we Christians cellebrate Jesus' birth.

This ain't really meant for the people here...I'm just venting. I do agree with the thought that the rabbi had with the exception of the lawsuit. Buisnesses should display all holiday's, but people shouldn't be offended to the point of threats! Again, Happy Chanukah, Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year.

--------------------
My name's Solberg. Pronounced Sol-Berg. Exile/Avernum's Greatest LIVING Archmage! I'm sure you've heard of me at some point.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #20
quote:

Sinterklaas kapoentje,
gooi wat in mijn schoentje,
gooi wat in mijn laarsje,
dank u, Sinterklaasje.

Hey! I know that song, since I'm half Dutch and we have a minor celebration on the 5th/6th. Hooray for chocolate letters and coins in your shoes!

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #21
Happy Chanukah!
*distributes cookies*
With my friends, I just say "Happy Birthday" for holidays like this. It can't offend anyone based off of religion, and considering I never remember their birthdays anyway... :(

Oh, and hi!

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

Oh, and hi!
HI!! Where *have* you been?!

And, to everybody who celebrates it, Happy Chanukah! I will wish a Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate THAT holiday sooner to the date.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

*Name by Slarty
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #23
Originally by Nicothodes:

quote:
With my friends, I just say "Happy Birthday" for holidays like this. It can't offend anyone based off of religion, and considering I never remember their birthdays anyway... :(
The funny thing is, that would actually make sense for Dikiyoba. Welcome back, stick around, drop off any excess sanity, etc.