November Posting Stats Self-Fulfilling Prophecy Poll

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: November Posting Stats Self-Fulfilling Prophecy Poll
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #100
Though we do seem to be drawing a younger audience.

--------------------
I tried to think of something witty to put here.

Needless to say, I failed.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #101
quote:
Originally written by Nioca:

But he got 'May your swords stay sharp!' right. ;)
^__________^

quote:
Originally written by Micawber.:

In idiomatic English, one would usually say "the fluffy turtles must have been very hungry". Just thought you might like to know, in the interests of learning and all that.
Thank you. It's always good learning a better English.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #102
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

(One of the "nice" features of UBB is that admins can see your password. In fact, you should assume that admins of any message board can see your password.)
The number of distinct passwords I can remember is a limiting factor in the number of forums I visit.

—Alorael, who means that in a mostly hypothetical sense, because he could always just not log out and he has no real desire to join more forums.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #103
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

123 posts. I'm shocked at my ability to say a lot but not really contribute anything. Much like this post. Actually, it 124 posts now.
The gnomes have expressed both shock and awe at the magnificence of your posting. They encourage further posting of a nature that is found useful for whatever reason. So, spam's good.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #104
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

123 posts. I'm shocked at my ability to say a lot but not really contribute anything. Much like this post. Actually, it 124 posts now.
Yeah. Mine are a lot more though.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #105
Look folks, we went over this back in March.

When I said "this board is slow" I was referring to the lack of content.

This lack continues, although it is even more apparent now that the content is spread across thrice as many posts.

Here's a trick: Before hitting "Add Reply", ask yourself what exactly you are saying. Does it contain anything people don't yet know? Is it relevant to the thread? Does it contain anything someone might wish to know? Is it, in fact, useful for anything but incremementing your postcount by one?

No?

Then hit "Back" and try a different topic.

:P

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #106
Wise words. This is my last semi-spamming post.

quote:
Originally written by Robert Daniel Oliver:

Here's a trick: Before hitting "Add Reply"...
"Add Reply"? I read only "Add One Post". :P

quote:
Originally written by Robert Daniel Oliver:

When I said "this board is slow" I was referring to the lack of content.

So, are you telling all this spam is YOUR fault? :P

EDIT: I'm kidding.

[ Thursday, November 02, 2006 08:54: Message edited by: Guardian Magma ]

--------------------

Guardian
Member # 6670
Profile Homepage #107
By Aran:
quote:
Here's a trick: Before hitting "Add Reply", ask yourself what exactly you are saying. Does it contain anything people don't yet know? Is it relevant to the thread? Does it contain anything someone might wish to know? Is it, in fact, useful for anything but incremementing your postcount by one?

No?

Then hit "Back" and try a different topic.
This is the reason that my post count isn't double what it is right now. Having a time consuming posting gimmick might help as well.

--------------------
not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nail. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nail by leaving not-nail, not nale, in jail.
- Thog (OotS)
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #108
Haven't you ever see the corollary to Gresham's Law:

Bad postings (spam) drive out good content.

If we really had something to say then posting would drop to almost zero except for the game forums.
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #109
quote:
Originally by Arancaytar:
(Whole spam thing)
And people wonder why my post count is so low, relative to my time here.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin believes that if one can launch a chicken into space using a rubber band and a pair of latex gloves, one can do anything.
Fortunately, he has no chicken to work with.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #110
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

(A lecture about spam)
Most people, however, will not read it, because this topic is basically a giant can of spam. It's like putting a WARNING: COFFEE IS HOT! label inside the cup of coffee. The people can only read it after getting scalded by the massive amount of spam.

[ Friday, November 03, 2006 10:47: Message edited by: Nioca ]

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #111
What are your goals, Aran? My perception is that you fret over the level of activity on the forums, high or low. You grumble when there is a request for more posting, and the result is mostly spam. If there is no request, and spam is still the major style, you don't grumble.

So, it would seem that your grumble happens when a person or persons hears you fret, and then takes action. We have a lot of very decent, informative, and controversial threads at present. Sure, there is some spam, but overall the threads fit into your personal requirements of validity. I would be willing to bet that there are more content laden posts this month than in last month's crop.

It may be that you see crap like the X-war and have a negative reaction. Maybe things do happen when posting level increases and certain immature individuals react spasticly. But hey, it happens and is really no big deal. Last night's example was spectacular only in volume of disk space. NO words or pictures. Isn't it better?

The simple truth is that the forum attracts people because of the games. Once you've played all the games, there is really no reason to stick around other than the people and conversation. If you want to curtail it or take that away, well I've got other things to do and I may or may not make it back when G4 comes out. My last absence was 1998 through 2005.

:)

ps. If you think that post count is an issue you are dead wrong. Too bad there is no method of allowing users to edit their counts. I think you would see how few care.

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #112
The absolute number of meaningful and spam posts and the signal to spam ratio are not the same. I think Aran may be upset because we've got more meaningful posts but they're lost in a disproportionately larger sea of garbage.

Boost the signal and reduce the noise or the bots will do it for you.

—Alorael, who wonders how long it would take for people to notice well crafter but randomly generated posts. Throw in enough vahnatai and shapers and you could easily get fake illiterate newbies.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #113
As usual, I predict we'll see a rise in membership at about the time of GF 4. Activity has been declining lately, not sure what to make of it to be honest.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 6292
Profile #114
Methinks Aran caters to the fickle, shuffling masses of spiderweblings with invitations to bread and circuses, then shuts the gates and releases the hounds, er, lions. (Smithers, have that man killed!)

Meanwhile, one wonders how much more nothing does it take to add something to nearly nothing? Is less more (more or less?) Do we herein wrestle with the great existential paradox of meaning versus meaninglessness? Who makes meaning here? Or perhaps this is an issue of freedom and responsibility. We are free and responsible to choose what and if we post. Or shall it be seen as a vital issue of isolation and connection? A minute spent here is a minute isolated from live human contact. Or perhaps it really reduces to the paradox of life and death. Do we live to post? Have we already died a death in getting sucked into the web?

Random (a)Musings #851c.

-S- is for Spamalicious

[ Monday, November 06, 2006 19:12: Message edited by: S is for Synergy ]

--------------------
A4 Item Locations A4 Singleton G4 Items List G4 Forging List The Insidious Infiltrator
The Establishment
Member # 6
Profile #115
Indeed. For I think we have already died a true death of webness, it is ultimately an incomplete death. For the web has its own oneness, and as part of the minds we are assured immortality. At the same time this immortality is fickle as it destroys all sense of individuality. The paradox is that we are both immortal and dead simultaneously.

--------------------
Your flower power is no match for my glower power!
Posts: 3726 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #116
quote:
Originally written by Spammin' Salmon:

What are your goals, Aran? My perception is that you fret over the level of activity on the forums, high or low. You grumble when there is a request for more posting, and the result is mostly spam. If there is no request, and spam is still the major style, you don't grumble.

I am unmasked. Spam or no spam, I grumble. For grumbling raises my post count.

Busted.

>_<

quote:
not nale. not-nale. thog help nail not-nale, not nale. and thog knot not-nale while nale nail not-nail. nale, not not-nale, now nail not-nail by leaving not-nail, not nale, in jail.
- Thog (OotS)
:D

I knew there would be a time when Thog's inability to pronounce more than a single syllable word would cause hilariousness.

[ Tuesday, November 07, 2006 03:01: Message edited by: Sirrus ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Shaper
Member # 7472
Profile Homepage #117
But 'leaving' consists of two syllables, not one.

--------------------

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #118
quote:
Originally written by Sirrus:

quote:
Originally written by Spammin' Salmon:

I am unmasked. Spam or no spam, I grumble. For grumbling raises my post count.

Busted.

Your post count is so cute this month. :D

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #119
Aran will have his bots alter the numbers at the last moment to give the results he desires.

Next month should see the release of Geneforge 4 and the flood of game posting questions and answers.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #120
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

Aran will have his bots alter the numbers at the last moment to give the results he desires.

Next month should see the release of Geneforge 4 and the flood of game posting questions and answers.

Some threads may cause large confusions if they still exist post-release. Those questions were never meant to get answered, or asked.

--------------------
quote:

? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #121
I should more properly have made this it's own poll, but I'm pressed for time.

Aran - Your endeavorbot is drunk again. Dereliction of duty is grounds for dismissal from the service.

--------------------
quote:

Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #122
quote:
Originally written by Silent Salmon:
Some threads may cause large confusions if they still exist post-release. Those questions were never meant to get answered, or asked.

If the readers can't figure out the real information after game release then they may lack the intelligence to play the game. Besides Jeff may add some of it before release just to make it true. I've found from seeing the same questions repeated in Avernum 4 that most gamers don't read old threads.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #123
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

most gamers don't read old threads.
Quoted for outright truth... this is why boards have to exist... who has time to hunt down/pay for a detailed walkthrough?

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #124
quote:
Originally written by Ephesos:

Quoted for outright truth... this is why boards have to exist... who has time to hunt down/pay for a detailed walkthrough?
I do. It's usually faster than waiting for someone to answer your question. Then, when they do answer, they usually link you to the thread containing the answer. I just cut out the middle man.

[ Wednesday, November 08, 2006 23:23: Message edited by: Andraste ]

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil

Pages