Abandonware

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Abandonware
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #0
Last year I got ill with a weird disease of abandonware-liking...and I started looking for all those games that I played when I was a kid, I even re-re-re-replayed the Sega genesys games!!
And also I played Hexen, Doom, ID games...the first maxis SIM games!! Descent!!! All of that...

So what do you think of those damn old games???
Well all the games that I play are quite old by now, like Jedi knight 2, Diablo 2, all the newest games that I play are from 2001, as most of 2003... :rolleyes:
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
Old is the Gold Box Games, LucasArts point and click adventures, and Roguelikes. The 2000's don't count at all, and anyone calling them abandonware has a loose definition of abandoned.

—Alorael, who has fond memories of old Sims and a soft and squishy part of his heart (yes, groan, it's called for) for Descent. That was really the first and last first person shooter with which he had any degree of skill.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 4574
Profile #2
My favorite games among the older levels is definetly Myst and Riven. The series that it spawned has been described as the "best adventure game series ever".

--------------------
Constitutional monarchies are the in monarchies.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #3
I still think of those games as relatively new. To me an old game is Adventure, especially when played on a mainframe computer.

I still would like to go back and play the old 5 and 1/4 inch floppy disk games like Ultima 1 to 3, Might and Magic 1 and 2, Wizardry, Empire, and others that are not currently available in a format I can access. The original Bard's Tale was released with the new version.
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #4
Dungeon of Doom. I have no idea how old it is, but considering it was old when I was 6 years old and only runs on our little old black-and-white Mac, I'd say it counts. You are locked in a 50-level dungeon by a wizard and you have to travel all the way down to the lowest level, get an orb, and come back up again to get out while fighting monsters and (hopefully) not starving. It got very hard very quickly. No one in my family got past the 11th level.

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #5
I remember playing some great games like Shuffle Cafe and Scarab of Ra on a Macintosh SE/30 when I was about 6 or 7. At the time, they were just as engrossing as any of the more graphically advanced console games available today.

--------------------
"Build a man a fire, and he´ll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he´ll be warm for the rest of his life."
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #6
First game I remember is Uninvited. My mother played it for me on our first Mac, because I was 6 and didn't know any English. It was a bit too scary for me. I also remember Dungeon of Doom, Dark Castle, Scarab of Ra and dozens of other good old games.

Might and Magic 1 and 2 were slightly newer. The graphics of MM2 were actually smaller and (IMO) uglier than MM1 on a Mac. Theldrow was my favorite game in the 90's before I got a color Mac.

I have many of the old games on my new computer and I'm able to play them, thanks to emulators.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #7
I'm looking for abandonware too in these days. I found the demo of Hexen, Space Cab and the two Warcraft; then the freeware versions of System's Twilight and Dungeon Master II.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

I'm looking for abandonware too in these days. I found the demo of Hexen, Space Cab and the two Warcraft; then the freeware versions of System's Twilight and Dungeon Master II.
Hee hee. Did you ever manage to finish System's Twilight? The final puzzle is a doozy -- and the solution, when you find it (possibly by accident, as in my case), will make you want to throttle Andrew Plotkin.

[ Friday, July 28, 2006 03:06: Message edited by: Thuryl ]

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #9
Hee hee - Dark Castle. Anyone else here also play Thexder? Wishbringer? That one actually came with a wishbringer "stone" in the box.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Hee hee. Did you ever manage to finish System's Twilight? The final puzzle is a doozy -- and the solution, when you find it (possibly by accident, as in my case), will make you want to throttle Andrew Plotkin.
I'm trying to beat it... It's hard to do, but I'm keep advancing.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Infiltrator
Member # 5991
Profile Homepage #11
I recently found a game called, Star Control 2.It's complex ,but when you figure it out it's addictive.Terminal Velocity ,Tyrian,Traffic Department 2192,Solar Winds,Raptor:Call Of The Shadows, are definitely worth trying.

--------------------
George Bush is a Nazi - Eric Cartmen

I'm not as think you stoned I am
Visit the RIFQ Forums
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #12
How can you leave out Oregon Trail on Apple II's. I miss the "really floppy" disks.

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #13
Thexder is fun but really not worth playing unless you want to relive childhood memories of playing it or are just a masochist.

Solar Winds is really just not worth playing.

(That said, Tyrian, Traffic Department 2192, and Raptor are all great games.)

[ Friday, July 28, 2006 07:00: Message edited by: Imban ]
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #14
quote:
Originally written by WKS:

I miss the "really floppy" disks.
I actually have a 5.25" floppy drive on my desktop. I use it for playing old games and whatnot.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
BANNED
Member # 7335
Profile #15
Heh, I remember those good old days. I just used to sit playing Hexen II(never played Hexen) and Doom, even Chex Quest{a game I got out of a cereal box}.

I actually had more fun back then. Now, games are all about producing the best graphics. They've come up with some amazing ****, but the gameplay just isn't as good as it used to be. I've pretty much stopped playing videogames, at least for the time being.

[ Friday, July 28, 2006 07:11: Message edited by: The Crusher ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Shuan Wuan:

I recently found a game called, Star Control 2.It's complex ,but when you figure it out it's addictive.
Ooh, ooh, plug time:

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

An open-source remake of Star Control 2, ported to run on modern computers. 100% free and legal.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #17
I used to play Oregon Trail, Crystal Quest, Rogue, Uninvited, Zork, HHGttG, Othello, and Go on my MacPlus.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #18
Archon and Mule were popular with my brothers and me. The problem with Archon, though, was that my youngest brother played against the computer to the point where he could beat the strongest piece with the weakest one, every time, even at the wrong time of day. This eliminated any possibility of strategy for him, or for that matter against him.

In some ways my favorite video games of all time are the really crappy ones I wrote myself for our old TRS-80 Model III. This was truly a power-gamer's dream machine; a very bad dream. But the great thing about graphics that bad was that you didn't have to worry about trying to make good graphics. As a kid with no knowledge or particular talent, I could write a hundred lines of BASIC in evenings after school and make a game that my brothers really wanted to play. I turned out maybe a dozen or two different games, some of them variants of each other, some of them fun and some of them not, and had a lot of fun doing it.

It was interesting to see what worked in a game and what didn't. It needed to be a bit tricky, but not too hard; but it also needed to have some sort of unique atmosphere or flavor that was hard to define. The weird thing was that even in such very minimal games, some games had it and some games didn't. Grenade toss didn't, but Abyss Jumper somehow did, and was weirdly addictive.

When we upgraded to a Commodore 128, it was too hard to live up to the higher graphical possibilities, and I stopped making games. One of my brothers made a masterpiece of a maze game, though, that was beautiful and challenging; but he lost his files in some crash.

--------------------
We're not doing cool. We're doing pretty.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by The Crusher:

Chex Quest
Chex Quest was cool. I remember my parents let me play it because the box said it was educational, but it was really just a mod of Doom. :P

[ Friday, July 28, 2006 09:54: Message edited by: Tyranicus ]

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #20
I like abandonware too. Why, just yesterday, I replayed WC3 and FF6 some...

Good times.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #21
Oh, the good old days of Moria, and then later Angband and its variants. Now that was true suspense. Tried the more recent ToME. Seemed all right, if a little bloated.

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
There is nothing old about Angband, although I'm on hiatus after my most recent death. To poison. After killing Qlzqqlzuup. Oh, the pseudorandom!

—Alorael, who wonders who this Julian Lighton is and whether he knows he's now the Angband maintainer.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #23
Bizarrely, it seems that System Shock 2 (not a particularly old game compared to many) is now abandonware. You can download it from Home of the Underdogs, though for some reason I haven't been able to get that particular file to work.

The sound work in that game is the best I've heard.

--------------------
SupaNik: Aran, you're not big enough to threaten Ash. Dammit, even JV had to think twice.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #24
Does anyone here knows Inner Worlds???
And some way to play it in win2000?

Pages