Abandonware

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Abandonware
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #25
Windows 2000 does not have support for many older games, as the OS was designed for businesses. However, if you have a relatively powerful computer, you might want to try using DOSBox. The DOS version of Inner Worlds is available here, and you can download DOSBox here.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #26
Fine I know all that part but i couldn't use Dosbox the last time, it was so complicated!!

He, the underdogs, I have used that page MANY times, but when I used it IW was not availible...

Ahhh Help!! How the hell do I know what is my sound card? Sounblaster 16, pro, adlib, etc??And the port DMA and IRC?

[ Friday, July 28, 2006 19:50: Message edited by: chicho1102 ]
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #27
D/GENERATION is pretty neat, as is Twinsen's Oddysey.

DRoD isn't abandonware, but I might as well mention it anyway.

Oh, and everyone mentions LucasArts, but nobody ever seems to mention Sierra, Space Quest, and so forth.

[ Saturday, July 29, 2006 08:36: Message edited by: UA ]

--------------------
Apparently still annoying.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #28
I love abandonware. I've been trying to beat System's Twilight for years, but I get stuck in the workshop. But my favorite peice of abandonware has to be Taskmaker. I really need to get that again.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Infiltrator
Member # 3040
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by UA:

Oh, and everyone mentions LucasArts, but nobody ever seems to mention Sierra, Space Quest, and so forth.
That reminds me... I recently downloaded Lode Runner: The Legend Returns. Awesome game. I believe it is in fact abandonware. I did manage to download the entire game, in any case. Works extremely well in Classic mode (it's not OS X native, of course).

[ Saturday, July 29, 2006 13:13: Message edited by: wz. As ]

--------------------
BANNED
Member # 7335
Profile #30
quote:
Originally written by Tyranicus:

quote:
Originally written by The Crusher:

Chex Quest
Chex Quest was cool. I remember my parents let me play it because the box said it was educational, but it was really just a mod of Doom. :P

Lol, my parents let me play whatever. I remember my dad downloading a bunch of free demos with blood and gore. I even played the duke nukem demo, which had those ladies flash their computer boobs at you.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #31
I hate abandonware because you have to use Dosbox which is a pain. There are plenty of places for this nonsense. The one with the huge list of free rpgs is http://www.abandonia.com

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #32
Descent is pretty darn cool. Expecially at 1024x768 resolution. :P

That and Donkey Kong Country, only it didn't last as long.

--------------------
-ben4808
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #33
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

I hate abandonware because you have to use Dosbox which is a pain.
I really don't understand why people dislike DOSBox so much. I don't find it that difficult to use, personally.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #34
quote:
Originally written by Andraste:

I love abandonware. I've been trying to beat System's Twilight for years, but I get stuck in the workshop.
http://www.ofb.net/~whuang/ugcs/gp/systwi/

There you go. A hint guide that provides solutions to everything except the last puzzle. Don't abuse it.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Warrior
Member # 6923
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by wz. As:

quote:
Originally written by UA:

That reminds me... I recently downloaded Lode Runner: The Legend Returns. Awesome game. I believe it is in fact abandonware. I did manage to download the entire game, in any case. Works extremely well in Classic mode (it's not OS X native, of course).

You should get the slightly upgraded one, Lode Runner: Online or Mad Monks Revenge here.

--------------------
"There are no turtles anywhere" Ponder Stibbons
One, Two, Three, Pfhor, Five…
Avernum 2 AM Status
- Maps - Tomb of Dahris-Bok
- Annotation - Fort Draco/Ganrick Spider/Areana Caves
I have an interest in "custard titles". I want one. Now!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #36
quote:

I love abandonware. I've been trying to beat System's Twilight for years, but I get stuck in the workshop. But my favorite peice of abandonware has to be Taskmaker. I really need to get that again.
You want it? I can give it to you.

quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

quote:

I love abandonware. I've been trying to beat System's Twilight for years, but I get stuck in the workshop.
http://www.ofb.net/~whuang/ugcs/gp/systwi/

There you go. A hint guide that provides solutions to everything except the last puzzle. Don't abuse it.

WHAT?! A Hint Guide?! Oooh...

[ Sunday, July 30, 2006 12:11: Message edited by: MagmaDragoon ]

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Nicothodes:

Dungeon of Doom. I have no idea how old it is, but considering it was old when I was 6 years old and only runs on our little old black-and-white Mac, I'd say it counts. You are locked in a 50-level dungeon by a wizard and you have to travel all the way down to the lowest level, get an orb, and come back up again to get out while fighting monsters and (hopefully) not starving. It got very hard very quickly. No one in my family got past the 11th level.
Once you get your hands on a wishing scroll (preferably two), it becomes fairly easy. I never had a problem with starving, but then I always half filled my pack with food.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #38
The first game I played was Digger, if I recall that correct. Then Lemmings.
But most of all I like King's Bounty. I still play it sometimes when I get tired of conquering the world trying to win tough fights in the new turn-time strategies. And Prince of Percia 1, of course was my beloved arcade.
Lode Runner: The Legend Returns once was like a drug for my family. Now I don't want to start it again. There's work I have to do. :)

---------------------------------------------
Voices were sure that abandonware is something noone can remember the name of. Everything else for them is classicsware. I can think of some games whose names I don't want to remember.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #39
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

But most of all I like King's Bounty. I still play it sometimes when I get tired of conquering the world trying to win tough fights in the new turn-time strategies.
Ooh, King's Bounty. Now I get a chance to brag.

I played KB for a long time, until I finally managed to achieve what I'm pretty sure is a perfect game: every artifact found, every castle garrisoned and every villain defeated, on Impossible difficulty, with a total of only 2 followers killed. Final score something around 48000, if I recall correctly. Anyone else here ever match or beat that record? :P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #40
quote:
Originally written by Meeshka:

But most of all I like King's Bounty. I still play it sometimes when I get tired of conquering the world trying to win tough fights in the new turn-time strategies...

Nice game, I still remember it. It was hard to beat, thanks to that stupid desert. ;)

--------------------

Shock Trooper
Member # 6908
Profile #41
I could never beat King's Bounty 2 though. It's a pity KB2 was made as a sequel to KB only in Russian language, otherwise you may have heard about it.
As for the final score, I never tried to remember it. Every time I play KB is just to revive the feeling of those good days.

--------------------
9 masks sing in a choir:
Gnome Dwarf Slith
Giant Troll Troglo
Human Nephil Vahnatai
"If the mask under mask to SE of mask to the left of mask and to the right of me is the mask below the mask to the right of mask to the right of mask below me is the same, then who am I?"

radix: +2 nicothodes: +1 salmon:+1
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #42
I like playing Realmz and Civ II on my old Mac, and a few other old school games.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Why should I say somthin intelligent when idiots like you make me look intelligent in the first place.
Loyal Underling
Member # 13
Profile #43
Oh, and I can't forget the old favorites - Marathon and Descent. Marathon 2 is still the only FPS I've been able to play from beginning to end and still enjoy it.

--------------------
[i]Great Potato[/i]
"Unless by the force of eloquence they mean the force of truth; for if such is their meaning, I admit that I am eloquent." -- Socrates
Posts: 126 | Registered: Thursday, September 27 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by the Great Potato:

...Marathon 2 is still the only FPS I've been able to play from beginning to end and still enjoy it.
You lucky. I was stuck around the 15th level and I give up.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #45
I never did really come to like Civ 3, but I still consider Civ 2 a wonderful game that was made even more wonderful in the apparenty largely overlooked game Alpha Centauri.

—Alorael, who also still likes the Asteroids clone Asterax. It seems strange to him that the simple concept of having improvements for sale between levels never caught on in other Asteroids variations.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #46
Wow. Thanks Thuryl. I promise not abuse it. :D
I remember Chex Quest. I think it's still around here somewhere. My favorite weapon is the turbo spork.

--------------------
You acquire an item: Radio Free Foil
Infiltrator
Member # 6136
Profile #47
Heh Im playing now Prehistorik 2, wich was the first game I ever played, rather than just the Win95 included games...
But I still need to know how to configure correctly my DOS soundcard!!!!
Warrior
Member # 6923
Profile Homepage #48
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

quote:
Originally written by the Great Potato:

...Marathon 2 is still the only FPS I've been able to play from beginning to end and still enjoy it.
You lucky. I was stuck around the 15th level and I give up.

<Warning: Transmission may not be complete>
You could always try again. Here.
<Data Transmission Unsuccessful>
Communication interruption cause: unknown

***INCOMING MESSAGE FROM DURANDAL***

Give me a D.
Give me a U.
Give me an R.
Give me an A.
Give me an N.
Give me a D.
Give me an A.
Give me an L.

What does it spell?

Durandal?
No.

Durandal?
No.

T-R-O-U-B-L-E.

T-Minus 15.193792102158E+9 years until the universe closes!

***END OF MESSAGE***

--------------------
"There are no turtles anywhere" Ponder Stibbons
One, Two, Three, Pfhor, Five…
Avernum 2 AM Status
- Maps - Tomb of Dahris-Bok
- Annotation - Fort Draco/Ganrick Spider/Areana Caves
I have an interest in "custard titles". I want one. Now!
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #49
quote:
Originally written by chicho1102:

Heh Im playing now Prehistorik 2, wich was the first game I ever played, rather than just the Win95 included games...
But I still need to know how to configure correctly my DOS soundcard!!!!

That's why I just use DOSBox. It emulates an old SoundBlaster.

--------------------
Spiderweb Chat Room

Pages