Naturally, I'm sure this has been proposed before.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Naturally, I'm sure this has been proposed before.
Apprentice
Member # 6503
Profile #0
Jeff should take the scripting from the Avernum series and publish a series of books. I mean, that's about 75% of the reason I play Avernum in the first place, the story. I'd have no problem shelling out 10-15 dollars to grab it in story form. He'd just have to edit some things here and there to make it somewhat coherent in novel form.
Warrior
Member # 7223
Profile Homepage #1
Decent idea, but the book wouldn't be that good. Scripting isn't good enough for a novel.

It would be nice if a talented writer took Avernum, and made a novel out of the story. Geneforge would be good too. And why not Nethergate?

[ Sunday, July 09, 2006 04:29: Message edited by: Elijah ]

--------------------
Polaris

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.
- H.P. Lovecraft
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #2
Ohhh, wait till Ash sees this... :P

I think some BoE scenarios would make good novels. Redemption, An Apology, Shadow of the Stranger, Nephil's Gambit to name a few. I'm sure there's more. I'd also say Roots, but there's too many choices that affect the plot to really be a novel.

[ Sunday, July 09, 2006 05:39: Message edited by: BainIhrno ]

--------------------
"Let us see what the new day brings." - Temas, Areni.

Visit my realm!

Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Final Spire
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #3
Hmm... Writing a story inspired of a game? Good idea. KOTOR is a good example, IMHO. And EV Override too: in fact, I write a story about the EV series.

--------------------
Download Geneforge 4: Rebellion

You have 6 posts. Nobody cares what you think. - Thuryl

Wikipedia may be your friend, but UBB is not. - Dikiyoba
Infiltrator
Member # 4826
Profile #4
But wandering monsters as a book plot? I don't know if I could stomach that...

"The four sheathed their swords, which were now drenched with aranea blood. In the distance, they saw a group of eight goblins and seven goblin fighters. They went over and killed them, using Mycroft's newfound skill at casting Ice Lances. Then they found some rats and lizards and killed them. But in the distance, they could see even MORE hostile creatures..."

Yeah, a LOT of cutting would have to be done. But just maybe I'd read the Avernums. I don't think they'd be great, but there'd be only one way to find out if they'd be good.

--------------------
Bring back TM or [i]DIE.[/i]

To spread the hype, as well as cause your crush's name to appear on the screen, copy this into your signature.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3513
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Shard of Fire:

<snip>

Yeah, a LOT of cutting would have to be done. But just maybe I'd read the Avernums. I don't think they'd be great, but there'd be only one way to find out if they'd be good.

Well yes. I mean, nobody wants to read about people randomly wandering and killing. The story would have to be stripped down to the major plotlines and have some actual character development.

--------------------
Nobody appreciates me. It's all "Igor! Fetch some wine!" "Igor! Clean up this experiment!" or "Igor! Bury this in the garden, we're leaving town in 10 minutes!"

—Alorael, who tried to become a deivore once. The priest gave him a funny look after the third wafer.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by Mu:

quote:
Originally written by Shard of Fire:

<snip>

Well yes. I mean, nobody wants to read about people randomly wandering and killing. The story would have to be stripped down to the major plotlines and have some actual character development.

Who says they should be put in anyway. You could take all that away, but to keep up the tension put in some fights, just not that many. For example (following the example of Shard of Fire), take everything after the Aranea out, and concentrate on the main plotline. When exploring new terrutory however, let them encounter some monsters. Why is it that... leave it. I won't say that.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #7
There are plenty of truly awful novels based on scripting. You only have to read the Forgotten Reals series and the Warhammer 40K series to do this. It could be done. But, I think it would detract from the overall story unless you got a very solid writer...

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #8
Books and movies rely on fairly different things to be successful, which is why so many movies based on books aren't very good and why so many movie novelizations are equally mediocre. Games are even more different.

Consider: Avernum's story revolves around killing things, basically. There's a plot, but there's not much of a plot. There are very few real characters. A novel would be barely recognizable as Avernum or terrible or both.

—Alorael, who does think the world of Avernum could be used as the setting for a good story or two. It's just that the games aren't those stories.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3441
Profile Homepage #9
Has anyone read The Dig by Alan Dean Foster?

--------------------
"As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it." --Albert Einstein
--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Mu:

Well yes. I mean, nobody wants to read about people randomly wandering and killing.
I dunno. The Dice Man was a pretty good book.

:P

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #11
-points to sig-

yes, I'm still working on it. I'm just stuck on the next chapter in sequence.

EDIT: Whoa... when did I break 200 posts?

--------------------
The Silent Assassin says that he will hunt you down if you don't follow the link.
Actually, he just amended that.
He may go after you even if you do.

[ Sunday, July 09, 2006 16:39: Message edited by: Lenar Research Facilites ]

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #12
quote:
Originally written by WiKiSpidweb:

Has anyone read The Dig by Alan Dean Foster?
I've played the game... very good story, and I ought to read the book.

Come to think of it, I'd just like the game to work in Mac OS X.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #13
I'd prefer a movie. After all, they made Pirates of the Carribean from a theme park ride and that Bear one too. Wait, no the Bears were awful...

I'd like to see how the script gets visualized although I might be disappointed. For me, LOTR was disappointing as I had a different view of the world than what came from the books to the movie. Still...

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

"You Spiderwebbians are mad, mad, mad as March hares."
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #14
A movie... Still the main problems are the killing. I'm thinking about GF3, but it don't work because lot of areas requies only killing rogues. Well, we can try to do what Doom did: first person view!

Ok, this wouldn't work. Ever. :rolleyes:

--------------------

Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

A movie... Still the main problems are the killing.
Peter Jackson did it.

Also, I think that any Geneforge would make a bad movie because of the many different sides to pick.

If I had to make a movie set in Avernum, it probably wouldn't follow any of the game plots. It'd probably be set during the Empire-Avernum war.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon
Well, I'm at least pretty

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #16
quote:
If I had to make a movie set in Avernum, it probably wouldn't follow any of the game plots. It'd probably be set during the Empire-Avernum war.

Not that there is anything wrong with the above. Look at Star Wars. There are many books serializing the adventures of that world that have little/nothing to do with what happened in the movies. Star Trek is another example where characters from the TV show show up in books/movies but the plots are independent stories.

--------------------
"Dikiyoba ... is demon ... drives people mad and ... do all sorts of strange things."

Lifecrafter
Member # 6700
Profile Homepage #17
Okay... how about instead of a movie we go to TV?
With some effort, one could turn an Avernum game into a miniseries (I say an Avernum only because of their linear plots).

Or, one could find some way to link between a few scenarios for BOE and BOA (the most obvious link being the party), and one would have an interesting basis for a TV series. Granted, you'd need a lot of deveolpment after that basis: reoccurring characters, a series goal, process message, etc.

--------------------
The Silent Assassin has proposed the creation of a new holiday, in his honor. To celebrate this holiday, all participants must run around in pink raincoats and throw lemons at each other.

--------------------
-Lenar Labs
What's Your Destiny?

Ushmushmeifa: Lenar's power is almighty and ineffable.

All hail lord Noric, god of... well, something important, I'm sure.
Infiltrator
Member # 4248
Profile #18
De ja vu. A bad one. Didn't we once go ways thinking about who would play Jenneke's part in the movie (or the TV series)? And ended up with Michael Jackson?

Please, let's not do that again...

--------------------
I have nothing more to do in this world, so I can go & pester the inhabitants of the next one with a pure concscience.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Citizen of Exile's Arrest:

Consider: Avernum's story revolves around killing things, basically. There's a plot, but there's not much of a plot. There are very few real characters. A novel would be barely recognizable as Avernum or terrible or both.

—Alorael, who does think the world of Avernum could be used as the setting for a good story or two. It's just that the games aren't those stories.

I agree that telling the story as your PC plays it would never work well, but I think Exile's plot is solid enough that a good author could do a decent job of making it the underlying plot of a book and still have it come out as recognizably Exile.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test!
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Law Bringer
Member # 6785
Profile #20
The trick is to stick to quests and skip most of the random encounters. There is enough action with the quests. The dialog with the NPCs does have to be expanded upon since most of them have very little to say and are there for trading.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Originally written by Randomizer:

The trick is to stick to quests and skip most of the random encounters. There is enough action with the quests. The dialog with the NPCs does have to be expanded upon since most of them have very little to say and are there for trading.
Agree. Maybe the protagonist can follow a mayor storyline and occasionally take quest. It can work well.

Oh, and don't forgot The Love in the movie. ;)

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #22
quote:
Originally written by MagmaDragoon:

Oh, and don't forgot The Love in the movie. ;)

But please, no Nephil/Slith thing. Too cliché... >_<

Edit: That said, Vahnatai-on-Vahna---- no.

What was I thinking? :eek:

*washes brain with soap*

[ Tuesday, July 11, 2006 04:22: Message edited by: Drow ]

--------------------
Encyclopaedia ErmarianaForum ArchivesForum StatisticsRSS [Topic / Forum]
My BlogPolarisI eat novels for breakfast.
Polaris is dead, long live Polaris.
Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair.
Agent
Member # 6581
Profile Homepage #23
:D

Nephil + Slith= Neslitp Baby?

Ok. Bad idea.

--------------------

Infiltrator
Member # 5410
Profile #24
Visually, stunning things could be done. Especially the creatures as we haven't seen their ilk in movies before. And at least in the first movie that could compensate enough for a thin plot - ie worth seeing once. I'd want more though (Superman was visually stunning with a bland story that left me cold and bored)

--------------------

Pages