Your favorite video game company

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Your favorite video game company
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #0
Myself, I have been a loyal Nintendo fan and I have owned all of their consoles except the virtural boy. I like the X-Box and the PSP too, but their prices are INSANE!

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 49 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=aQZmCnPExEhf"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=aQZmCnPExEhf"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #1
For video games, SEGA all the way. The Genesis had many more PC-style RPGs as compared to the SNES. The Genesis also was less politically correct and as a result had more mature games overall.

Modern consoles have unfortunately followed the SNES example of dishing out mostly FF clones.

The PC remains my platform of choice, by far.

--------------------
Lancer
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #2
I used to be a Nintendo fan, but their new stuff sucks out loud. These days, the only new games i play are on the PS2. The PC will always win over the console though.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #3
I rather enjoy the work Macsoft has done, as well as anyone affiliated with the Civilization series. Cyan gets points for Myst.

I voted Other, but I'll cast a nostalgia vote for Nintendo in spirit.

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Warrior
Member # 6846
Profile #4
I like many SEGA games, to the extent that I bought a now dubiously reliable Dreamcast. Pity it was never marketed well and failed, but I still get fun out of it at times.

With SEGA's console demise I jumped ship to Nintendo and bought a Gamecube, although there have been less good titles than I had hoped.

In general I don't prefer consoles over PC games, it's just that for arcade style games consoles will be better, whereas you'll probably find a greater variety of strategy and RPGs on the latter.

--------------------
"Build a man a fire, and he´ll be warm for a day; set a man on fire, and he´ll be warm for the rest of his life."
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #5
For game developers, I have predominantly enjoyed games published by Blizzard, BioWare, and the creative forces behind the former BlackIsle Studios/now (mostly) Obsidian Entertainment.

Regarding consoles, I probably have enjoyed the PS2 most for sheer volume of titles as well as access to SquareEnix's games, but for sheer quality, I have to go for games developed for Nintendo. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time remains my favorite game ever, and the Metroid series, including the Metroid Primes, are very high quality, too.

I also really enjoyed Silicon Knights' Eternal Darkness for Gamecube, and I am sad that they never released a sequel. :(

[ Monday, June 26, 2006 10:03: Message edited by: Drew ]
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #6
Apart from Spidweb, I really enjoyed the work of Silicon beach (and I still enjoy it), Microsoft (IEK!!!!), Macsoft and Nintendo, though I only have the very first 9black and white) gameboy.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #7
For consoles, Square. Not Square-Enix, but Square.

For PC, that's a no-brainer: Black Isle.

--------------------
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #8
[quote=Real Ultimate Designing
For consoles, Square. Not Square-Enix, but Square.[/quote]Xenogears remains my favorite Squaresoft game.

quote]
For PC, that's a no-brainer: Black Isle.[/quote]Amen. Planescape Torment was the best RPG ever made, IMHO.
Obsidian Entertainment is one to watch out for..

[ Monday, June 26, 2006 12:01: Message edited by: Lancer ]

--------------------
Lancer
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #9
I grew up on VII. Personally, my ordering is VII, VI, X, VIII, IX, IV, V, II, I.
(I haven't played III, I'm not counting XI, and anything else is S-E.)

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
I haven't exactly been keeping up with the console world, but I think I prefer Sony. Nintendo has a few good offerings, but my tastes lean strongly towards strategy and RPG. All the RPGs migrated to Playstation and strategy belongs on the computer (specifically the Mac).

Actually, everything belongs on a Mac, but I'm biased.

—Alorael, who had the dubiously enjoyable experience of playing through Zelda: Ocarina of Time on his Mac. He'll stand by his statement but amend it to specify that things like joysticks also belong on Macs for some purposes.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #11
How did you emulate it properly? Sixtyforce usually chokes up and dies.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out I'm using v.6 instead of v.8.

EDIT2: Actually, Alo, if you could forward me registrated sixtyforce, it'd be nice. :P

[ Monday, June 26, 2006 15:39: Message edited by: Real Ultimate Designing Power ]

--------------------
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #12
I'll always love id Software. Valve will also forever have my attention. Same with Blizzard and Obsidian.

And Ion Storm did give us Deus Ex.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2836
Profile #13
I voted Microsoft, mainly because I don't have any of the other systems, and I only ever play them at my cousins' house, who I visit about twice a year.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #14
Colecovision.

--------------------
quote:
Originally written by Kelandon:

Well, I'm at least pretty sure that Salmon is losing.

Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #15
Sony, but Microsoft get points for Mircosoft Golf.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #16
quote:
Originally written by Sprong:

Sony, but Microsoft get points for Mircosoft Golf.
never heard of that one before...

I chose "other" as most games I play at the moment are not by Microsoft. however, i would give them an A if i were only playing Flight Simulator or Age of Empires besides Avernum. Flight Simulator 2004 is in every respect amazing. I'm still trying to figure out how they made every little piece of the earth so detailed...

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shock Trooper
Member # 3898
Profile #17
Looking Glass and Blizzard get props for System Shock and Starcraft respectively, and Bungie did make both Myth and the Marathons (well, and Halo, but nobody cares about Halo). Sierra gave us Leisure Suit Larry and LucasArts produced the first three Monkey Islands. However, in the end I have to go with Black Isle.

--------------------
~Note : The professional newbie's advice should not be taken seriously, or at all.~
LINKAGE
Shock Trooper
Member # 6821
Profile #18
Team Darkland, Spiderweb Software (EDIT : and Dragonlore, too!), and Sierra On-Line (my favorite series were Space Quest and Quest for Glory).

[ Tuesday, June 27, 2006 00:29: Message edited by: The Lurker ]
Posts: 363 | Registered: Wednesday, February 22 2006 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #19
Darklands was great! Space Quest was impossible.

TM, do you really think Square-Enix has gone off in so different a direction? I'm certain that X-2 was in the pipeline well before they merged, and it seems to me that the company's current direction is still profoundly Square-ish - they just wanted Enix's name and titles. Also, Square has released a lot of dross for all the gems it's produced...

My order would be I, VI, VII, X, IX, IV, V, III, II, VIII. I also did enjoy X-2, and FFT, though very different, is an excellent game.

[ Tuesday, June 27, 2006 04:07: Message edited by: Drew ]
Warrior
Member # 5483
Profile #20
quote:
The PC remains my platform of choice, by far.
I think most of us agree with that or Mac, especially since we're using them right now. This seems to be confirmed by the replies on this thread. Myself, I haven't used a Mac since grade school; they used them in the computer lab. Other than commercials and internet ads, I haven't seen one since then either. On another note, I noticed "Other" has a commanding lead and I was wondering what consoles you guys are referring to.

--------------------
Ignorance Is bliss -Cypher (Matrix)
Don't think you can; know you can -Morpheus (Matrix)

sanity is overrated :)
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by The_Other_Guy:

] On another note, I noticed "Other" has a commanding lead and I was wondering what consoles you guys are referring to.
I'd gander that many who put down "Other" are not fervent console gamers and put that down to represent their preference for PC or Mac. But the poll clearly was referring to consoles/ video games and not computer games. Thus, although I do prefer the PC over all else, I put in my vote for SEGA since this is a console poll after all.

I have a feeling that the "Other" results may be a bit misleading and not telling the whole story...

[ Tuesday, June 27, 2006 05:17: Message edited by: Lancer ]

--------------------
Lancer
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #22
"video game company" is a little vague.
Warrior
Member # 6682
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

"video game company" is a little vague.
For me, there is a sharp distinction between "computer" games and "video" games. When someone says "video games", by definition, I think about games created specifically for the console. Likewise, I never refer to PC/Mac games as video games. They are computer games.

Besides, from the choices given in the poll, there was little doubt as to what the original poster intended, I thought. But maybe that was just me I guess.

Maybe the OP could have put down "Other consoles" instead of just "Other" to make his meaning more explicit.

[ Tuesday, June 27, 2006 05:35: Message edited by: Lancer ]

--------------------
Lancer
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

TM, do you really think Square-Enix has gone off in so different a direction? I'm certain that X-2 was in the pipeline well before they merged,

Well then.

(Although honestly-- I do feel as if Square is changing directions here. I merely found it to be non-coincidental that it happened around the time of the merger. If Square is responsible for the crap it's been putting out, so be it-- I'll just learn to hate them instead. ~_~)

quote:
y order would be I, VI, VII, X, IX, IV, V, III, II, VIII. I also did enjoy X-2, and FFT, though very different, is an excellent game.
X-2 is horrible, and placing I above anything short of V is a sin.

--------------------

Pages