Favorite and Most Hated Music To Play

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Favorite and Most Hated Music To Play
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #0
What piece is your favorite or most hated piece to play on your given instrument? My favorite to play on cello used to be Gavotte by Lully, but it recently changed to the Lord of the Rings music. My most hated piece of music to play is Pachebel's(sp?) Kanon. The cello part is the same two measures repeated over and over again. :mad:

--------------------
Do not underestimate the power of the mechanical pencil.

Join the Dark side. We have cookies.

Played in:
Fiddler on the Roof
Bye Bye Birdie

"Hey, Patrick, feel this random pipe. It's squishy"-Nils
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #1
Pachabel's Cannon In D is quite fun on the viola though. The first (and only) classical piece of music I memorized. Most hated piece; Flight of the Bumblebees. Never could get that one down, but it is lovely to listen to.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
BANNED
Member # 3477
Profile #2
hooray for those of us who know nothing of playing music
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #3
Hooray? I wouldn't say that avtually...

Most favorite piece on my trombone. Difficult. there are many things i love to play. Actually, i love everything which has some nice solo's. I always liked to play wagner things. its so beautifull! What i hate to play are pieces in which i have nothing or only uninteresting things to play. that is pachelbel's kanon for example. I'll think later of more things.

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
His Mighty Tentacle
Member # 627
Profile #4
If given enough time to prepare, and enough refried black beans for fuel, I can whistle dixie... Er, well, it's not whistling.

I can fart dixie.

--------------------
If I could make just one wish, I would want a tasty vlish.

Geneforge IV. Still no tasty vlish.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #5
My favorite pieces to play are by Telemann and Bach. Bach's flute partitas in particular are great pieces for the recorder even if they're not always written with actual human beings having to play them in mind.

I'm also very fond of the bass line of "Est Ist Ein Rose."

Least favorite would probably be some modern pieces. One "Carousel" springs to mind as the most irritatingly mindless piece for every single part that still manages to sound very nice. Matthias Maute in particular is a wonderful composer and a good person who nonetheless has produced some mind-bogglingly bizarre lines.

—Alorael, who holds a special place of hatred in his heart for every composer who betrayed the true flute by writing for traverso. The recorder will rise again!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #6
I can play Smoke On The Water, on my friends guitar. That is all. :)

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.
:ph34r:
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #7
Originally by Nicothodes:
quote:
My favorite to play on cello used to be Gavotte by Lully, but it recently changed to the Lord of the Rings music
I love LotR music too. I own all three soundtracks and listen to them constantly. I've played a medly of tunes from The Two Towers in band, which was fun except for all the rests.

Eye of the Tiger is fun to play. And most of the pieces I play in orchestra. I play flute.

Dikiyoba
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #8
I hate playing Have You Never Been Mellow?, by... what's-her-name.

I love playing Swing, Swing, Swing by we-all-know-who.

This is jazz of course. Drums.

--------------------
DEMON PLAY,
DEMON OUT!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 34
Profile Homepage #9
On marimba/xylophone, my favorite things to play are either the orchestral version of The Who's Tommy&lt, or Variations on a Korean Folk Song. Malanguena's cool too. I don't really have a least favorite, sop that I am. :P

On timpani, Mahler's 5th is fun. Sadly enough, I really don't like that one thing from the Rocky Horror Picture Show that's so famous (or maybe it's Little Shop of Horrors, I get them mixed up).

On piano, 'Winter Wonderland' and 'Tell Me on a Sunday' and all the other good show tunes are my faves. The Maple Leaf Rag is fun too. There's not really much I don't like to play there either. 'Hey Jude' gets a little old after a while. I like playing Beethoven and Liszt, but I haven't gotten any new music in a while.

On bass, 'The Elephant' from Carnival of the Animals, 'Dance of the Furies' from Oedipus and Euridice or something, the overture from 'The Meistersingers', 'Allegro' by Bach (I think, maybe it's Handel), and 'Failing' by Tom Johnson, even though it's impossible, are my favorites. 'Symphonie Fantastique' by Berlioz gets on my nerves the most.

Bahh. I'm really not showing off. Hoorah for instrumentalists!

EDIT: The italics weren't working properly.

[ Tuesday, December 27, 2005 20:06: Message edited by: Robert the Fourth ]

--------------------
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck.

'Spiderweb Software' anagrammmed: 'Word-bereft A**wipe'
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #10
quote:
Originally written by Two pipe solo:

—Alorael, who holds a special place of hatred in his heart for every composer who betrayed the true flute by writing for traverso. The recorder will rise again!
Does that mean you hate me?

--------------------
Play and rate my scenarios:

Where the rivers meet
View my upcoming scenario: The Nephil Search: Escape.

Give us your drek!
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #11
I love playing "Street Spirit" and the guitar, but hate it one the piano.

And "Like Spinning Plates" is the opposite.

Both are Radiohead songs.

--------------------
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?

Law Bringer
Member # 4153
Profile Homepage #12
I have next to no musical talent when it comes to instruments. I prefer singing, and it's usually bearable. The only instrument I ever learned anything for was the recorder, and it was required in my elementary school (I get the feeling that a lot of schools torture their students thusly). Those concerts were horrible...
quote:
Originally written by Two pipe solo:

If the recorder ever rises again, then it will be like one of those horrible zombie movies. I mean the kind where someone like Hitler comes back from the dead.

I will be more than pleased to put a shotgun shell (or a shovel) between the eyes of said zombie woodwind.

[ Wednesday, December 28, 2005 10:44: Message edited by: Ephesos ]

--------------------
Gamble with Gaea, and she eats your dice.

I hate undead. I really, really, really, really hate undead. With a passion.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3377
Profile #13
Beethoven's 5th is fun to play. Unfortunately if, like us, you are rather deficient in a viola section, some awkward silences develop.

I really, really dislike playing musicals, such as West Side Story, My Fair Lady, etc. It's not that they're bad music, although that's debatable, but that we play them so often. Most of our audience tends to be fundraising or retirement villages, and the old folks really enjoy the musicals.

There's a world of difference between the plastic, tuneless recorders inflicted by schools everywhere on students, and proper recorders. Here a recorder played professionally, and you'll realize they can be quite nice.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #14
The recorder already lives again. The question is when it will burst forth and the tenors of righteousness shall be used in holy bludgeoning.

While searching for freely available recorder music I came across a hilarious argument over what the recorder should be called. Apparently "recorder" is no longer politically correct and we should all be talking about blocklutes (Blockflöte) or fipple flutes. Oops.

—Alorael, who doesn't have anything against plastic recorders as long as they're good plastic. Nobody who isn't a professional can afford to buy a bass made of wood, and that's why those black and white L-shaped Yamahas are so common. Well, common in the world of recorders, er, blockflutes.
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Secular Right:

...words...
Secular Right? You are aware that you cannot exist, right Right?

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #16
quote:

Apparently "recorder" is no longer politically correct and we should all be talking about blocklutes (Blockflöte) or fipple flutes.
The word "recorder" always bothered me. I expect it to be something that, you know, records. For the sake of linguistic (if perhaps not musical) harmony, I think we should just ditch all recorders in favor of pennywhistles, which are almost the same thing anyway.

[ Wednesday, December 28, 2005 17:26: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
Or tin whistles, if you're from Ireland.
Apprentice
Member # 4448
Profile #18
First point of order: as an experienced recorderist and tin whistler, I can assure you that the two are entirely separate instruments and that the meeting of the twain would result in a horrible adverse impact on Dixie music and sixteenth century English ballads.

My faves are Mercy, Mercy, Mercy (sax), Caravan (also sax), and Schubert's Unfinished Symphony (oboe).

Least favorite: any Ken Dye arrangement, Ferling's little monstrosities.

[ Wednesday, December 28, 2005 19:16: Message edited by: Celchu ]

--------------------
Yeah, here's a sig. On to more posts...
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Kel, you fill me with rage and loathing. While the garklein and the pennywhistle may be more or less interchangeable, the pennywhistle makes a very poor contrabass. This is both because there are several octaves between them and because getting hit with a pennywhistle is likely to cause annoyance and getting hit with a contrabass is likely to cause hospitalization.

CPeters, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you mean the political right has no secular members, you're quite wrong. If you mean that one cannot claim secular right as the obvious counterpart of divine right, well, you're still wrong. If that was a flimsy pretext for an unnecessary pun, I salute you.

—Alorael, who takes pride in his role as militant flaut(a dolce )ist.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #20
quote:

Kel, you fill me with rage and loathing.
I have succeeded. :D

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 932
Profile #21
quote:

CPeters, I'm not exactly sure what you mean. If you mean the political right has no secular members, you're quite wrong. If you mean that one cannot claim secular right as the obvious counterpart of divine right, well, you're still wrong. If that was a flimsy pretext for an unnecessary pun, I salute you.
I was being... eh... what's that word? About the closest I get to describing my frame of mind at the time: cynically facetious. It was a vast, sweeping and deliberate generalisation. I'm sure that there is at least one secular member of the American's Republican Party, or Australia's Liberal Party, etc. But I think that for the most part 'Secular Right' is an oxymoron in today's world.

--------------------
Microsoft Patents Ones, Zeroes (March 25, 1998)
"Asians are good at Starcraft because they're always squinting, thus they can see things sharply. Remember to always squint in war." ~ Sun-Tzu
Warrior
Member # 6234
Profile #22
I'd love to play Rainmaker on my guitar, it's from Iron Maiden, and Down Again from Chimaira. And i'd love to drum A.D.I.D.A.S. (stands for All Day I Dream About Sex ;) ) from KoRn and Breathe from Nickelback. Those are good songs, it's not the taste that is most wanted on this forum, but mixing culture is never a bad thing :) What i hate to play (for drum) are crappy popsongs. They only have 1 beat, repeated over and over and over and... over. It's so boring... And on my guitar i hate to play crappy popsongs as well... no solos... no interesting chords... just stupid boring chords...

--------------------
There are 400 words in the dictionary that begin with "self" and only 8 that begin with "fellow".

When in doubt. . . mumble.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #23
Originally by Kelandon:
quote:
The word "recorder" always bothered me. I expect it to be something that, you know, records. For the sake of linguistic (if perhaps not musical) harmony, I think we should just ditch all recorders in favor of pennywhistles, which are almost the same thing anyway.
I know there are songflutes, which are almost exactly like recorders but (I think) they're smaller. They sound almost as bad when played by a mass of grade school children, though.

Dikiyoba didn't mind playing the recorder, it was being in the same room as the music teacher that was the problem. *Shudder* Some people do not have the proper temperament to work with small children.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #24
quote:

If that was a flimsy pretext for an unnecessary pun, I salute you.
Ouch... :P

It's hard to say what I most enjoy playing... Flight of the Bumblebee is certainly my favorite mallet piece, and you can't get better than drumset improv... I guess the third movement of Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata is my favorite piece to play, or would be, rather, if I could play it well enough to do so in public. Least favorite... any modern classical, really, especially if it's atonal. Piano arrangements of orchestral pieces never go over well, either.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.

Pages