Favorite Time Waster.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Favorite Time Waster.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #0
Since, I am on a kind of lunatic sabbatical, I am thinking of new favorite time wasters. The building I work in is getting asbestos abatement and a new roof, so I get a free unplanned paid vacation where I can be theoretically called in at any time "so I can't run off to Peru for two weeks or something like that" but mostly wait.

I have managed to watch lots of bad cheap kung fu movies from Walmart and the supermarket. But, I am looking for novel couch potato time wasters or light physical activities . Any suggestions, bungee jumping, etc.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #1
A good book to read would be "The Boy Who Reversed Himself" by William Sleator, well if you're a mathmatician geek and all, or other classics that I used to read at a younger age like "Timeline" or even Orson Scott Card's "Ender's Game".

As for movie time wasters, um..., a Monty Python movie is good for a few laughs, or some war movies, like "Alexander" or something like that...

As for activities that can waste time, how about bungee jumping off of an airplane? Great waste of time there, but life risking as well...

[ Monday, August 22, 2005 17:32: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #2
quote:
Originally written by Jeros:

As for activities that can waste time, how about bungee jumping off of an airplane? Great waste of time there, but life risking as well...
Skydiving, wind surfing, these I've heard of but bungee jumping with your cord attached to a plane?!? It sounds like suicide to me.

Have you really played every scenario made for BoE/BoA, Toast? Or you could make your own scenario... The computer is an endless sea of options for wasting your time.

Try your hand at a couple different hobbies. Photography with or without album making, model cars/airplanes/boats, model racing cars, going to real car races, there are many types of 'stitching', drawing, painting, story writing. And this is just a list of what I've done. Google 'hobbie' and try what looks best. Look for a creative outlet and make a couple Christmas presents in the meantime.

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #3
Yeah, about the whole "bungee jumping off of an airplane thing", I was just being sarcastic on that. It actually is an extreme sport hobby for some people, believe it or not. I personally am afraid of heights, so I wouldn't even dare to dream of doing it.

Now, as for some serious free time activities, since major sports are coming back in the fall, try tuning in to some Monday Night Football and kick back with some friends or even do some odd jobs that need done around the house. Fixing something that's been put off for a while, this could be the time to do those things. Of course, a lot of people do tend to be "professional procrastinators"...

[ Monday, August 22, 2005 19:06: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #4
Surf the net, read a book, go outside. Theres many.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #5
Poor guy. You know something's wrong when you have to look for stuff to do with your free time rather than looking for time which which to do stuff.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
It's subconscious. I get the same thing (looking for ways to kill time) when there's indeed something to do and indeed the time to do it in, but I'm absolutely too lazy to do it.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #7
No really. What do you do with your free time, when you are bored? I have learned the ultimate kung fu moves and weapons. I have a flying guillotine, a staff which shoots spikes from its ends, steel throwing balls, kung fu hand grenades a conical hat made of iron, and steel chop sticks and rice bowl. I know the kung fu leap, king kong punch, scissor kick, eagle claw, snake fist, red hand, low moving goose grab, drunken fist, rooster kick, etc. I have toughened myself up with iron crotch, forehead bone hardening-- I smack myself in the head every day, I can run up an upright sword blade and stand on the tip without hurting myself. I am going to visit the mad monks.

I would love to go bungee jumping from an airplane, sounds extremely fun. I wonder if they attach little baskets to airplanes so you can fly around in them outside.

I've been to the library. Checked the stock pages, read various books-- read about the eight pieces of jade brocade, a few science fiction novels, a bit about the stock market, been to the park. Plenty of regular things to do. I'm looking for novel ideas. The airplane thing sounds like fun. Maybe I'll rent the movie Jackass. I've heard it looks good.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #8
The ultimate time waster I've encountered is Civilization II. You should be able to scrounge up a copy of this somewhere, though it does seem the price on Civ III has come down quite a bit - I can't vouch for this, though.

One time when I had a day to kill, I went to the supermarket and purchased five dozen eggs and two pounds of butter. I then went home and spent the next several hours practicing frying two eggs over easy in an effort to get it down to an art. IMO a true test of a cook's ability is how good they are at preparing eggs, which can be quite tricky. Over the course of the day, my skills improved to a level that I don't think I could have achieved if I hadn't gone about it that way. Anyway, the eggs were cheap, and I continue to benefit from the time and money spent that day.

A good use of this time would be to spend more time with family, or get something done around the house you've been meaning to (assuming you keep your own place of residence). I bet you could find something you've been putting off that needs to be done, if you think about it long enough.

EDIT: Another good use of your time would be to find places to go for short hikes, and just take your cell phone along. I reckon all of us computer-bound folk (especially those of us in the US) could use a bit more legwork than we're getting.

[ Tuesday, August 23, 2005 03:46: Message edited by: Drew ]
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

One time when I had a day to kill, I went to the supermarket and purchased five dozen eggs and two pounds of butter. I then went home and spent the next several hours practicing frying two eggs over easy in an effort to get it down to an art. IMO a true test of a cook's ability is how good they are at preparing eggs, which can be quite tricky. Over the course of the day, my skills improved to a level that I don't think I could have achieved if I hadn't gone about it that way. Anyway, the eggs were cheap, and I continue to benefit from the time and money spent that day.
Hope you didn't get cholesterol poisoning. :P Or did you just throw it into the trash afterward?

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #10
I just threw them away after cutting open the yolk to see how cooked through it was. I know it's somewhat wasteful, but eggs are pretty cheap.

The most fried eggs I've ever eaten in one sitting is six. :)
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

but eggs are pretty cheap.

And of course they're a renewable resource, so there's no harm to the environment there. :P

[ Tuesday, August 23, 2005 04:20: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #12
You know, if you just ate eggs hard-boiled, you wouldn't have to be so fussy about how you prepared them.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #13
Yeah, but then you get the sulfury flavor of the hard-cooked yolk. I prefer a heated-but-runny yolk that I can sop up with a piece of toast, preferably buttered wheat toast. Also, shelling a hard-boiled egg is a pain, though I'm willing to concede that hard-boiled eggs are a much more practical way to include an egg in a bag lunch.

Besides, anyone can hard-boil an egg. It takes skill to fry an egg well.

[ Tuesday, August 23, 2005 04:57: Message edited by: Drew ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #14
I like my eggs with rye toast with a bit of butter. Medium soft yolks. Civilization iv is coming out soon. It looks pretty good.

--------------------

Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #15
I totally hate eggs. Possibly due to a story someone told me when I was five...

As for killing time, I don't tend to. I don't appreciate time as much as I should, and if I do something I don't schedule it. It happens when it does, and takes as long as it needs.

If you do want to while it away though, read "Saint Morrissey", by Mark Simpson. It's a wonderful book.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #16
Programming unuseful stuff and posting here. And reading books, though that's not so much of a waste of time.

I actually prefer my eggs, greasy, tasty, and with a yolk that is solid. If the yolk is runny, that seems to mean that the whole egg is a bit soft.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #17
I waste my time watching the stuff on this site:

Albino sheep.com (i think its .com)

Especially the demented cartoon movie and the end of the world are my favorites.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #18
If you are looking for simple and addictive time-wasters, try old games like Angband or online "RPGs" like Runescape. The time you spend will be completely wasted, but if that's what you are looking for...

If you want slightly more useful way to spend time, there is a recommended reading thread somewhere on this forum.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #19
I'm with Drew. Civ 2 and or 3 are very solid time wasters. Try to go from the beginning to the end in one sitting. Good stuff. Also I like to download movies and shows to watch on my computer. I've probably seen every Futurama episode at least three times.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Agent
Member # 3364
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by I'll Steal Your Toast:

I have learned the ultimate kung fu moves...
Monkey steals peach?

I wouldn't even mention it, except that I saw an illistrated description of how to do it less then a week back. Made me question the honor of whoever invented it. I mean the peaches really should be off limits shouldn't they?

--------------------
"Even the worst Terror from Hell can be transformed to a testimony from Heaven!" - Rev. David Wood 6\23\05

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." - John Wesley
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #21
Shaolin iron crotch-- there really is such a thing-- counters monkey steals the peach... Hah... anyways. There are numerous such techniques-- step up and raise the knee to the most precious jewels... Anyways-- I've been able to find a pretty good review site http://www.kungfucinema.com . I've mostly missed the truly terrible stuff.

[ Tuesday, August 23, 2005 10:22: Message edited by: I'll Steal Your Toast ]

--------------------

Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #22
Cooking Channel. There is nothing like watching someone cook something you are never going to cook; it def makes you think: "What a waste of time".

Now, if you wanna have fun while wasting your time, then you should try thinking on all those things you wish you would've done when you had work like going to the beach or something. I just think that you should go to a book or movie store and buy or rent something of your preference, rather than taking some random advice.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #23
There's always skribbane. :)

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #24
Certainly a good time-waster is any Pac-Man clone. Just keep driving this little yellow circle around, eating dots... And one clone has over 2000 levels.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?

Pages