Fatal Computer Game Marathon

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Fatal Computer Game Marathon
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #0
http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue434/news.html

quote:
[b]Man Dies After Game Marathon

A 28-year-old South Korean man died of exhaustion in an Internet cafe after playing computer games nonstop for 50 hours, the Reuters news service reported.

Lee, a resident in the southern city of Taegu who was identified only by his last name, collapsed Aug. 5 while he played the battle simulation game Starcraft, the news service reported. Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play online games, leaving over the course of three days only to go to the toilet and take brief naps on a makeshift bed.

Lee was quickly moved to a hospital, but died after a few hours, due to what doctors are presuming was a heart attack, police told Reuters. Lee had been fired from his job last month because he kept missing work to play.
[/b]

I think there's a lesson here for all of us. (Especially me, who's been playing Master of Orion II way too much recently...)

At least Mr. Lee died at the hands of one of the best games out there.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #1
I've heard hundreds (ok... tens) of stories like this.

I love games. But dang. At least realize when your body can't take anymore.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #2
It's like those rats they rig up to the pleasure electrodes—they can't do anything other than just sit there and enjoy dying. No eating, drinking, sleeping, etc.

But what a way to go!

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #3
This is actually old news as I originally posted a brief summary of that particular story last week in the "What's your most embarassing moment?" thread. Nonetheless, now I know the complete story to it now.

Alas, it is indeed a lesson to be learned: Never go overboard with video games. Have fun with games, but not over an untimely demise...

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #4
I read this story 2 years ago. And again a year ago, and again a few months ago.

Are gamers dropping like flies, or is it being constantly retold?

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #5
More gamers are dying.

I read the topic title as the Fatal Computer Game, Marathon, which I enjoy very much.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #6
Dehydration will do that to a body after about two or three days. What a moron.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
quote:
Originally written by Drakefyre:

More gamers are dying.

I read the topic title as the Fatal Computer Game, Marathon, which I enjoy very much.

That's originally what I thought, too. I was thinking Lieberman was going to go attack Marathon now, for showing bad sprite graphics of green alien blood.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #8
Somebody had way too much time on their hands.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 1320
Profile #9
Hmm, maybe something to watch out for. When I slept over at a friends house a while back, well... "slept" isn't the right word. We played on the xbox/wacthed tv nonstop all through the night. I was completely energyless in the morning...

--------------------
-Step aside, worthy adversary!
-T'is but a scratch!
-A scratch! Your arms off!
(pause)
-I've had worse!
-You liar!
-C'mon, you pansy!
(Fighting continues.)
-Allright. We'll call it a draw then.
-Oh I see. Running away are we? You yellow bastard! Come back here and take whats coming for you! I'll bite your legs off!

"You know that you've played Halo 2 to much when you sit down for dinner, pick your fork up, look at the knife, and in the corner of your vision, you see *Press X to pick up Press Y to dual wield*"
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #10
I once played a computer game for 12 hours, then slept for 12 more hours. I regret losing that entire day...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Agent
Member # 5814
Profile #11
http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=481330

Hmmm... Suspiscous. They're like us, except bigger. Or maybe we're like them, except smaller... Hmmm... Even more suspiscous.
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #12
He lost his job to video games, and then lost his life to them. It sounded like he might have done this on purpose.

50 hours! I've only managed 8 at the most!

"Zephyr Tempest - Your personal entertainer!"

[ Tuesday, August 16, 2005 20:51: Message edited by: Zephyr Tempest ]

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Not I:

http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=481330

Hmmm... Suspiscous. They're like us, except bigger. Or maybe we're like them, except smaller... Hmmm... Even more suspiscous.

For some reason all Invision Boards I've seen have been tiny, all ezboards have been small to moderate size, all UBB forums have been large, and all vBulletin ones gigantic (in terms of membership).

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperment, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #14
:D Hehe! One of the signatures on that board provided The Sloganizer! Mine was "Swing your Archmage Alex." :D

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #15
"Bigger. Better. Sir David."

I can't imagine that anyone could get so caught up in a game. All other nominees for the Darwin Award might as well bow to such tough competition.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #16
I don't think that too ling should be spent in front of a monitor because it's bad for your eyes and too much concentration give you headaches.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Infiltrator
Member # 5785
Profile #17
When I am on vacation and have nothing to do I usually sit by the comptuer for 12h, sleep for 12 h. So do many of my friends. Not always something to do.

--------------------
"..The seventh wave of Thrall stumbled and climbed over the slippery, piled dead and Mazzarin saw The Watcher with them and at last knew the number of his days."
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Aranfoolcaytar:

I read this story 2 years ago. And again a year ago, and again a few months ago.

Are gamers dropping like flies, or is it being constantly retold?

This is the first time I've heard of anything like this, so it made quite an impression with me. But if I'd known this sort of thing was so passe, I wouldn't have bothered drawing attention to it.

However, I apparently didn't learn anything from this since I ended up "accidentally" playing Master of Orion II yesterday from about 1 pm to 1 am, with about four hours in there with me not in front of the computer. I didn't meant to do that—I kept saying to myself, "Well, I'll just wrap up this little war with the Alkari before stopping." Then it was "Okay, well, that's done, now I should rebuild my empire while I have this master plan in mind." Then the Klackons suddenly declared war on me because those insidious Darlok were spying on them and framed me for stealiing some inconsequential technology or other, so I went into "galactic emergency" mode and refitted all my ships with the new Graviton Beams, and said "Okay, just get the Klackon fleets out of the Dorado system, and, well, maybe destroy a few of their systems, then I'll stop." Once that was done, there was just the puny Darlok and Bulrathi empires left. I looked at the clock and thought "Yeah, I can wrap up this game in the next fifteen minutes. Neither of these guys will put up much of a fight." An hour later I had eradicated all other life in the galaxy. I then looked at the clock and kicked myself for wasting the entire day on some stupid computer game. This regret lasts about four days, then I start up another game.

Further evidence that human beings are truly incapable of learning in the ways that truly count. So if you read about some guy dropping dead in front of an iBook as he's playing Master of Orion II, you can send flowers to my parents...

--------------------
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

:D Hehe! One of the signatures on that board provided The Sloganizer! Mine was "Swing your Archmage Alex." :D
Praise Mortimer

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #20
«You better get inside Drakefyre.»
«Take what you want, but leave Drakefyre alone!»
«The president buys Drakefyre.»
«Drakefyre's like heaven.»

[ Friday, August 19, 2005 03:06: Message edited by: Drakefyre ]

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #21
quote:
Lee, a resident in the southern city of Taegu who was identified only by his last name, collapsed Aug. 5 while he played the battle simulation game Starcraft, the news service reported. Lee had planted himself in front of a computer monitor to play online games
quote:
played the battle simulation game Starcraft, the news service reported
quote:
Starcraft
Maybe I shouldn't buy it. I didn't know it was fatal. :D

[ Friday, August 19, 2005 04:22: Message edited by: JadeWolf ]

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by JadeWolf:

quote:
Starcraft
Maybe I shouldn't buy it. I didn't know it was fatal. :D

No, don't listen. You must buy it. Join us...join us...

My brother used to play that game for hours on end, even after I was tired of it (temporarily). But since he still lives with the rest of our family, he never managed to play it long enough for it to be fatal.

This also reminds me of the time I first discovered Halo at my cousin's house on Christmas Eve. My brother and I played the first few levels (the levels Assault on the Control Room through The Maw were inaccesible due to a scratched CD) over and over from around dinner time until 12:35 in the morning. Them we went to bed. A few hours later, my cousin's family's dog walked on the frozen pond next to the house and fell through. She was rescued, but she passed away this year. :(

Sorry of that got off-topic.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #23
«Drew, your way!»
«There's only one thing in the world I want and that is Drew.»
«Drew evolution.»
«One goal, one passion - Drew.»

[ Friday, August 19, 2005 05:31: Message edited by: Drew ]
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #24
The magic of Jasper
Jasper, i want it all
Truly Jasper
Life's beautiful with Jasper

Slogans aside, such things are becoming more common. I, personally, spend far too much time playing games. It really is as you say, Icshi. It's the "just a little more" frame of mind, where you get to one point, then you think that you'll just get to the next point, but when you're there, you just keep on going.

--------------------
Aut Tace Aut Loquere Meliora Silencio

Pages