Who's your role model?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Who's your role model?
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #0
I know that this sounds like a corny thread, but I'm just curious in the different role models that people around here appreciate or conform to.

I have my parents as role models, even though they despise religion and believe the whole world revolves around science and logic.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #1
But science proves no more than religion, so why categorize it with logic?

I'd say my current role model is my 4 year old nephew. His mind isn't shaped into seeing things a certain way yet...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #2
It's true that science doesn't prove any more than religion, but that's just what my parents think, not to me personally. It's also true that science and logic don't always mix, though in some cases they do, if people believe the theory enough, even if it's wrong.

EDIT: I meant that science and religion do not go hand-in-hand and do not prove more than one another. Sorry for the typos. Like Lt. Sullust said, nothing.

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:16: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #3
Are you saying religion proves more than science?

Your statement about logic made me laugh out loud.

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:17: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #4
No, I'd say they both prove nothing :)

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #5
Well, I wouldn't say "nothing." But as far as existence goes isn't it a leap of faith either way? At least science has the possibility of a breakthrough and further insight.

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 10:19: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #6
Arguable to a lot of people, but a valid point. Science can actually be used to help people. Um....medicine, surgery, technology, etc.

They both are sort of "leaps of faith" if you put it that way stranger. Religion is conformed hope while with science, you never know if the medicine or surgery that might help you could kill you as well.

Alas, this thread is supposed to be about role models, though I don't mind the whole science to logic to religion debate either.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #7
... *pause* ... I have a STRONG URGE to FLAME you, but you are right.

I don't a have a role model as such, I respect and look up to my father as-per-usual.

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 11:49: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------

Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #8
All my role-models are fictional characters. It may be less realistic, but it's a whole safer that way. Not to mention far more interesting.

Oh, except for Genghis Khan. He's one of my few nonfictional role models.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #9
I don't really have a role model. Hawthorne influences my writing style, Debussy my piano playing, etc. but that's as far as I go.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #10
Safer? I don't get it.

If your role models are real, you can interact with them.

--------------------

Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
quote:
Originally written by stranger:

Safer? I don't get it.

If your role models are real, you can interact with them.

That might be the explanation. ;)

As for me, I try not to have any role models. If I see someone around me behaving in a fashion I find exemplary, I will attempt to act like that as well; but I avoid putting this on a personal basis - if I did everything like a certain role model, I'd be copying the good with the bad, and I wouldn't be myself.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #12
Yeah, being yourself is a must.

ICSHI! NO HORDES 4U!

EDIT: *looks below* Well? Explain yourselves!

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 12:30: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------

By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #13
My maternal grandfather.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #14
My good side.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #15
Jeff Vogel. He inspired me to become a game developer.

-- Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #16
Really? Are you working on anything or just have plans for the future?

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #17
Yes, I am working on a few projects. And my plans for the future are quite extravagant.

-- Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #18
Nakor the Isalani.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #19
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

Hawthorne influences my writing style
Are you talking about the Hawthrone effect, as in you react differently when people are observing you or the actual person?

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 13:28: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
Too Sexy for my Title
Member # 5654
Profile #20
My mother.
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #21
Musashi, he slices toast very well, and rarely bathes to protect himself from his enemies.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by stranger:

Safer? I don't get it.
"Safer" as in "You'll never hear on the news that he was pulled over by the cops with two under-age female prostitutes in his car." Fictional characters tend not to throw you unexpected curveballs like that. Although I was unpleasantly shocked when Sherlock turned out to be a cocaine enthusiast.

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 14:38: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #23
When I was a kid, I looked up to my brother, who was practically me++. But now that I'm a young adult myself - a few days short of 19 years - I don't even have that role model anymore.

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 643
Profile #24
I'm not sure if it is considered a proper role model, more of an inspiration. Albert Einstien, not that I intend to become a world reknowned genius, but rather that he overcame a common disability.

--------------------
Fine Meal is people!!!

Pages