Who's your role model?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Who's your role model?
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #25
quote:
Originally written by Jeros:

quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

Hawthorne influences my writing style
Are you talking about the Hawthrone effect, as in you react differently when people are observing you or the actual person?

Hawthorne, fyi, is a well-known author. I didn't read any books by him, however, and I can only remember the title of one ("The Scarlet Letter" - *hopes he is right*).

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 15:16: Message edited by: Aranfoolcaytar ]

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #26
Oh okay. It was just that the name Hawthrone is more common in the field of sociology as the guy who brought the idea of observant behavior. His theory was that people work and react differently when they are being watched and they know it. The author himself is a first for me, as I tend to not read a lot of books, rather I read research articles on human behavior and social well being.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Agent
Member # 1558
Profile #27
Maybe you've heard of Elton Mayo then.

What I meant earlier was you don't offer a level playing field when you state your opinion, you favour one side and are therefore slanted.

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 16:18: Message edited by: stranger ]

--------------------
I'm tired of the strain and the pain ___ ___ ___ I feel the same, I feel nothing
Nothing is important to me ___ ___ ___ ___ __ And nobody nowhere understands anything
About me and all my dreams lost at sea ___ __ But we’re not the same, we’re different tonight
We’ll make things right, we’ll feel it all tonight _ The indescribable moments of your life tonight
The impossible is possible tonight ___ ____ ___ Believe in me as I believe in you, tonight

Go All Blacks xtraMSN Rugby _ MuggleNet
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #28
Yeah, now that I've took some time to read my past posts, I'm starting to realize that. Isn't it common though for people to have biases on a lot of things?

Like, for example, an employer could choose to hire certain people over others. I work at a Hallmark and my boss has this habit of always hiring people who "look" the job rather than do the job. A person covered in nose piercings and tattoos can do the same quality job, but is rejected because it isn't commonly accepted among people. Wouldn't that be a bias?

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #29
Robert Smith is my role model. Not really, but it sounds funny.

I would suppose I don't really have any role models. I find most people to round out to the same basic features. And then I don't like them.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #30
Yes, Aran, Nathaniel Hawthorne. He also wrote The House of the Seven Gables, which is almost as famous as The Scarlet Letter.

That kind of role model applies in my daily life, too, by the way. If I have a friend with a certain favorable characteristic and a bunch of unfavorable ones, I'll discriminate and adopt some traits while rejecting others. That's what positive peer pressure is all about, I say: take what's best, leave the rest.

EDIT: Typo.

[ Wednesday, August 03, 2005 19:16: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #31
Actually, a lot of books from the Hawthorne era (1800's) offer a lot of insight into sociology. Some of the historical stuff shows the biases of the author and society, and there was a lot of social commentary written as well. The Great Gatsby is an interesting look at a portion of society, as is the aforementioned Scarlet Letter.

I've found that the books that stand the test of time are usually those that provide insight into society and still demonstrate the quirks as they exist today.

I'm not sure I have a role model, but I do hold myself to a standard that is pretty high. I guess I don't bother trying to compare myself against other people, and I couldn't care less about the acclaim they may receive. So there. :P

*this message sponsored by sammy clemens*
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #32
quote:
Originally written by Mortimer:

Albert Einstien, not that I intend to become a world reknowned genius, but rather that he overcame a common disability.
He also disowned his son for having the same illness and, far less related to that comment, left his wife to marry his cousin.

My role models would have to be my friend who pretty much influenced me into being who I am today and my dad. My dads just a classic, laid back, funny guy and is incredibly easy to get along with.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #33
I don't really have a single role model, but to pick one I'll say one of my teachers. I have been studying with him for over three years now, and I am very grateful for all he has done for me.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 4682
Profile #34
Lord Voldemort.Just kidding. My real role model is much more evil.I'd tell you,but it's more fun to havepeople guess. HINT: It's not Bush.

--------------------
If anyone ever asks you why you did something, say "Because I could".
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #35
My role model is Pickman's Model.

[ Thursday, August 04, 2005 18:13: Message edited by: Icshi ]

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #36
In my younger years I used to idolize some of my more self-assured friends. In those years, I was constantly dogged by low self-confidence, physical and emotional vulnerability, and a cowardly mind. A growth spurt and some facial hair took care of much of the problem, and I no longer look to real people for inspiration. At times I believe I attempt to conform to what I find the ideal type of male, the charming rogue with the heart of gold. I'd really love to be that sort of man, but I'm still a ways away from possessing the necessary confidence.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

A growth spurt and some facial hair took care of much of the problem.
I can identify with that. :P

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #38
I don't really have a role-model. I look up to people, sure, but no role-models for me.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #39
I mainly see my parents as role models. At scripting however, I prefer to have Kalendon as a sort of role model.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #40
I mainly see my parents as role models. At scripting however, I prefer to have Kelandon as a sort of role model.

EDIT:
Two of the same post? Strange...

[ Friday, August 05, 2005 00:26: Message edited by: Marvin, the paranoid android ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Aranfoolcaytar:

quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

A growth spurt and some facial hair took care of much of the problem.
I can identify with that. :P

Aye, except I doubt that girls regularly cross to the other side of the street when they see you walking down the sidewalk at night in the winter-time. :P

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.

Pages