Time vs. Money

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Time vs. Money
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #0
For the purposes of simplicity in this topic, do you value time or money more? It does not involve any kind of "infinite" amount whatsoever. Rather, it's just a simple question, does time mean more to you in life right now or does money?

Since I originally made it complex in the first place, I'm just going to make it a simple and direct opinion that is open ended from what you feel instead.

[ Sunday, July 17, 2005 20:05: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #1
The problem with time is that no matter how much you have it still comes out to one second per second. Money can come out to billions of dollars per second.

Infinite time in the form of endless longevity is no good without health and youth to go with it. It also depends very much on money anyway. An eternity of abject poverty isn't as nice as a lifetime of comfortable affluence.

On the other hand, infinite time concurrently is the best of both words, because time can easily be converted into money. You also have the time to enjoy that money. Visiting family, traveling to exoting places, volunteering for worthy causes, and repainting the kitchen simultaneously? A very attractive offer indeed!

—Alorael, who thus cannot choose time or money until he has a better understanding of just what is meant by time.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #2
Yea, I would suppose it depends on the definiton of "infinite time" you are using. Infinite time as in "live forever, everything goes by normally" would not be as good to me as say, "live forever, time stops". Regardless, I prefer time over money. I never liked money to start with.

I have some obsession with knowing what happens down the road with humans. I know it'll never happen, but I'd really love to stay here and see it. Also, seeing the end of this world would be SPECTACULAR.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3457
Profile #3
If I had infinite time I wouldn't need money I could just steal everything I need. And if I had to do my jail time without wasting the years of my lifespan because I wouldn't have a lifespan!!! The money would just make it easier but then all the fun would be gone. Stealing is a game you keep score with the items you steal. The more the value the more points you have.

[ Sunday, July 17, 2005 17:44: Message edited by: Bobba ]

--------------------
Who I am makes no difference but it is what I say and do that counts (mabey???)
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #4
I would only pick time if you mean I'd have all the time I need to do everything I want in my natural life. If you mean natural immortality, though, I'd certainly choose money over that. I'm too soft and sentimental to stay forever young and watch my friends and family wither and die, and too conservative to withstand all that change. At least with money I can do some of the things I want and otherwise follow where nature leads.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #5
I like how Alo shows some of his Rational-ness (as Kiersey means by Rational) by not accepting the usual concept of time.

In this case I would guess that time was meant to be assumed to be second following second.

This entire argument assumes that you are not going to exist eternally (or for infinate time, whether it ends up being concurrent or otherwise) anyway. But that gets into religion.

Let's assume the argument is living forever or having an infinate supply of money. However, infinate money would be bigger than the Earth (infinately so actually). So you would really be swimming through an infinate sea of money, rather than continuing normal life very rich.

IMAGE(http://images5.theimagehosting.com/money2.GIF)

Edit: Testing again! Does editing move a thread up?

[ Friday, July 22, 2005 09:47: Message edited by: Archmage Alex ]

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #6
To me personally, time and money go hand-in-hand with one another as I value them both equally. Time is needed to make money.

[ Sunday, July 17, 2005 20:07: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #7
I would probably not pick infinite wealth, as I could die soon after accepting it, but than again I could use my infinite money to do some very good things for humanity (and animals).

Even if I were granted a wonderful eternal life on earth I would still like to see the thereafter, and it would be too sad to watch everyone I love pass away (potentially thousands or millions of people, considering the time is infinite).

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #8
quote:
Originally written by Archmage Alex:

Let's assume the argument is living forever or having an infinate supply of money. However, infinate money would be bigger than the Earth (infinately so actually). So you would really be swimming through an infinate sea of money, rather than continuing normal life very rich.

IMAGE(http://images5.theimagehosting.com/money2.GIF)

That's why you make sure it's in credits. =]

quote:
Originally Written by Jeros:
In other words, "time" can be anything you think it could mean.
That's a bit broad, but I think I know what you're getting at. If it were up to me, I'd love to have the ability to travel in time and freeze time without necessarily living for all time. As long as I'm not immortal, I'd rather have time.

EDIT: Fixed a quote.

[ Sunday, July 17, 2005 19:16: Message edited by: Lady Davida ]

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #9
Well on the one hand, given an infinite amount of money you would likely enjoy yourself quite a bit, but for a relatively short time. However given an infinite amount of time you may not enjoy yourself as much, but as it is over an infinite amount of time it is necessarily more total enjoyment. However, that also means an infinite amount of pain, sadness, and other forms of displeasure. So it is really a question of living a happy life or a long one. Then again as you left the question so open ended it is difficult to have a proper discussion as we aren't all talking about the same situation.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #10
I think this topic needed more thought before being thrown out here. No offense to creator...

I doubt you'll get a serious one-or-the-other answer.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #11
I take no offense to your comment at all. In fact, it is criticism that makes you a better person, not praise. Now, if I can only remember on who said that quote...

My original intention with this thread was to not get a direct answer, rather on what people's opinions were on the infinity of time and/or money, though it must of been on how I worded my original post that must of caused the confusion and misunderstanding. You seriously cannot get a direct answer on time itself as people have different viewpoints and opinions over it. Next time I make a thread, I will take a little more time and thought into it.

[ Sunday, July 17, 2005 20:14: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #12
Time. I'm broke so time is more important at the moment.

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #13
If you had infinite time, as long as you saved more a couple percentage points than inflation you would eventually be able to retire in permanent leisure and never work agin. A thousand years for example does incredible things to wealth.

Money can always be earned, time cannot be reearned. Generally the people who have the money think time is more important.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #14
Jeros = Creator? :confused:

I choose time because everybody (well, not on these boards) goes for money. Money is generally more available than time, at least here in industrialized countries. Now it's going to change with all these workless people though. I think there will be a rearrangement, time will become more and more important. See the barter communities (LETS) where you can trade with time instead of money.

--------------------
^ö^ I was a cannibal for twenty-five years. For the rest I have been a vegetarian. George Bernard Shaw
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #15
Jeros is the creator of this thread, and not one of the Ashby brothers.

I would choose time. Time manipulation is fun.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #16
See, this is why Creator doesn't want to be called Creator any more. People keep confusing him with other people who have created things.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #17
An infinite supply of money would make money worthless, ruining the world economy. An infinite supply of something worthless is just that.

Time is money. There's not a moment to be lost!
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #18
Time, simply for the sake of seeing if RiB ever does come out. If not I'll just spend my time playing Avernum 3276...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #19
No matter what you do or what you have, you'll live for a limited time. Time's very precious, so we should be conscious about how we use it.

In a more abstract concept: without time, there wouldn't be existence.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #20
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

An infinite supply of money would make money worthless, ruining the world economy. An infinite supply of something worthless is just that.

Time is money. There's not a moment to be lost!

Time=Money
Infinite Money=Worthless
Infinite Time=Worthless
Time=Worthless/Infinite=0/oo=0=Worthless

Are you saying Time is Worthless? :P

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #21
Time is just a way for us to keep track of things. Without it we'd already have that almighty unified equation that physicists are always talking about...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #22
I wouldn't enjoy being immortal, as I believe life would get rather boring and mind-numbing after centuries of exploring all of its many facets. It would be nice to have control over time, though. That way I could live a life of normal length and never have to watch friends die around me, but I could still maintain the looks, physique and healthy constitution of my twenties throughout the course of my life. Perhaps I'd let my hair go grey for the sake of elderly elegance, but that's about it.

Unlimited money would be great at first, but it would create nearly as many problems as it would solve. I'd really hate to have to deal with endless streams of people begging at my door, and as such I would rather make a comfortable salary and live modestly.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #23
quote:
Originally written by Overwhelming:

Are you saying Time is Worthless? :P
Well, I guess my point is that money, in order to be useful, must be finite, and regardless of whether you have infinite time or no, you can only at any one time possess a finite sum of money. The pie only gets so big, and only has value relative to everyone else's stuff. If you don't want their stuff, then money has no value. :)

Infinite time, on the other hand, I think is impossible to comprehend with a mind set up to accommodate a finite framework. With time no longer at issue, what are your motivations? That's what I think is the problem with the whole vampire mythos, and especially games like "Vampire: the Masquerade." Why the heck would immortal beings bother with being so petty and come into so many conflicts, or bother dressing up like punks? It just seems silly to me.

[ Monday, July 18, 2005 05:07: Message edited by: Drew ]
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #24
Maybe they are bored.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.

Pages