Time vs. Money

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Time vs. Money
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #25
It's true that money would probably be useful in a finite world as there's only so much that can be spent and obtained and with finite time comes the desire or motivation to accomplish things in a set period of time. If time really was infinite, we could not care for anything and see the world change and evolve through the years. I wonder what the world look like in the next hundred to thousand years...

[ Monday, July 18, 2005 07:47: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #26
Money doesn't buy time, but time can get you money, as has been said.

As well as this, time with loved ones is worth far more than any amount of money. Time gets my vote.

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #27
quote:
Originally written by Jeros The Creator:

By the way, for those that are confused by my name Jeros, I've changed it to Jeros The Creator to avoid future confusion.
Actually, dude, this will probably only add to the confusion. You're best going with just "Jeros."
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #28
Now that I think about, I probably would value time as I tend to care more for my family and friends than personal finances.

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #29
Why is everyone throwing around terms like "infinite" as if they were crackers for the seagulls? That term is a theoretical one, and doesn't apply here. Having a huge sum of money would be like people giving you whatever you wanted for free, because you would end up still having a huge amount of money. Therefore you would own everything in the world by default, while still having said huge amount of money.

(No one can make a salmon bite the lure)

Infinite time is a myth without proof beyond historical fiction. There is nothing anywhere that says the universe couldn't cease to exist in 12 minutes 39.23 seconds from the time you read this post. All we have is theory, and hope.

My suggestion is to value the time that is occuring right now, make it count, and don't ignore the money if lack thereof distracts you from the "rightnow."

*this message sponsored by me - adjudicator of all that is infinite*
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
Originally written by Jeros:

For the purposes of simplicity in this topic, do you value time or money more?
Speaking economically, the value of money depends upon its timing.

Therefore, if you value time more than money, then you are necessarily valuing money. If you value money more than time, then you are actually valuing time.

(Yes, I admit this is silly. I take no responsibility for anyone taking this seriously, and I shan't respond to replies.)

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #31
Money and time, to a point, are the same thing. Going to work is essentially hacking pieces of your life off and selling them to the highest bidder. With the profits of the sale, you can actually go and do something worthwhile.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #32
What if the infinite time you are granted is all granted in a circular loop? Think Groundhog Day. Is it such an attractive idea then?

—Alorael, who will muddy the waters further by suggesting that your infinite money comees in significant but not unthinkable sums, like a million dollars a week, perhaps, forever. That means you're really going to have to set up a good system to handle it after you're dead, among others things.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #33
That depends on two things. Is it a good day? Will I remember it each time?

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #34
Perhaps time is not an arrow after all, but an expanding sphere generated anew every (insert appropriate really small duration here).

Edit - I am clearly trying too hard to offer constructive messages to each topic. I will now move to SoT's topic and talk about money.

*this message sponsored by mr. bubbles*

[ Monday, July 18, 2005 15:06: Message edited by: Jumpin' Salmon ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Hectonkhyres:

Money and time, to a point, are the same thing. Going to work is essentially hacking pieces of your life off and selling them to the highest bidder. With the profits of the sale, you can actually go and do something worthwhile.
That's not really true, though. Some people enjoy their job and would do it even if not paid for it. Most people at least enjoy being at work more than they'd enjoy not existing for the same span of time.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #36
quote:
As written by Thur:
Most people at least enjoy being at work more than they'd enjoy not existing for the same span of time.
I would refer you to the Department of Motor Vehicles employee handbook.

*this message sponsored by patti and selma*
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #37
Going to the DMV may well qualify as time better spent not existing. That's at least better for blood pressure.

—Alorael, who often wonders whether the DMV atmosphere is a product of the employees or vice versa. Perhaps the Department of Motor Vehicles is a front for some soul-draining evil conspiracy. More evil than the government!
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #38
DMVs do have a certain odor to them, quite similar to that of the Social Security Administration, though maybe not quite as desperate. Ah, the smell of bureaucracy!
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #39
About time or money, you always need at least some money to enjoy your time. (Infinite life isn't fun if you spend it starving.) You will also need some time to enjoy your money. (A billion dollars does you no good when you are dead.) The trick is to have the right ratio of time and money to be able to enjoy your life the most. This ratio is very different for different people.

As for infinite life, I'd never agree to it unless I could end it at any time. Don't forget that the sun is going to go out eventually. And, if you assume that universe is ever-expanding, eventually all stars will go out and the universe will be filled with cold emptiness. An eternity spent in frozen void sounds very similar to some religions' idea of hell. So be very careful what you wish for. :)

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

An eternity spent in frozen void sounds very similar to some religions' idea of hell.

That is also where a certain major religion's god is reputed to be hanging out. At least part time. I also hear she spends part of her time tending her garden.

*this message sponsored by the new jersey tourism board*
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #41
quote:
Originally written by Zeviz:

About time or money, you always need at least some money to enjoy your time. (Infinite life isn't fun if you spend it starving.) You will also need some time to enjoy your money. (A billion dollars does you no good when you are dead.) The trick is to have the right ratio of time and money to be able to enjoy your life the most. This ratio is very different for different people.

As for infinite life, I'd never agree to it unless I could end it at any time. Don't forget that the sun is going to go out eventually. And, if you assume that universe is ever-expanding, eventually all stars will go out and the universe will be filled with cold emptiness. An eternity spent in frozen void sounds very similar to some religions' idea of hell. So be very careful what you wish for. :)

An eternal frozen hell, something that would make infinite life not worth living for.

I agree with Zeviz's point about being able to balance out time and money as they sort of go hand-in-hand in most cases. If you manage your time wisely to make money, you tend to feel more satisfied with your life, unless you're one of those people that perfer a life w/o materialistic goods and services.

Of course, there are people that perfer to use their time to help others w/o money (charity, volunteers, etc...) and that would be their satisfaction of life.

[ Tuesday, July 19, 2005 12:47: Message edited by: Jeros ]

--------------------

Pages