London Bombings

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: London Bombings
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #25
Too bad for all those people. Deaths are always hard.

This all just goes to show that terrorists are still there, and that's why we're still figthing them instead of setting timetables for our troops to me moving out of Iraq.

This also suggests that Bin Laden and his hoots are still operating too. That guy is trouble.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #26
Right, because leaving Iraq would mean we've given up against the terrorists...

Get real.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #27
My condolences to everybody who was affected by this attack.

PS I am very impressed by the fact that this thread remained free of political arguments so far and I hope that it stays that way.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #28
The British eventually gave up and left the 13 colonies. We seem to have done a decent enough job on our own since then.

The point? leave your petty politicking out of a thread in which people are expressing concern over a specific terrorist attack. It doesn't belong here.

*this message expresses distaste for faulty and misplaced logic*
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #29
London was bombed by the organization of terrorists who bombed the twin towers I think.

--------------------
I AM A MINOTAUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM INVADING THE SHAPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALL SHALL FALL TO MY WRATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
That organization is Al-Qaida, and yes, it appears that they were responsible, as has been established since the first few posts in this thread.

I think Iraq is directly related, insofar as the terrorist cell that took credit for the bombing made it clear while claiming credit that they did it because of the Iraq War. If nothing else, this suggests to me that we need to change something about our involvement over there. I'm not sure what, but something.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 5132
Profile Homepage #31
My condolences to everyone in London as well, and to everyone who had friends and relatives in London as well.

--------------------
Rate My Scenarios!
Fort Emerald Robbery
The Nephils' Defense
The Fifth Tower of Magi
The Portal
Infiltrator
Member # 5754
Profile #32
The world needs to invent words that can describe how stupid and bad and cruel those losers who bombed Londen are.

And I hope no more people ae found dead. I feel sorry for any one who knew somebody who got killed or injured or that did get killed or injured.

--------------------
I AM A MINOTAUR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I AM INVADING THE SHAPERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ALL SHALL FALL TO MY WRATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #33
B@stards. The lives of innocent Londoners were taken with no benefit to anyone, and I hope the rest of the world gets that message. My heart and my prayers go to the victims and their families, and all those still at risk (which constitutes a group larger than I'm comfortable with). I suppose we're fortunate that there haven't been more such attacks, really - either that or we're protected better than we think.

quote:
Did you see what they said they'd do to any prank callers at the moment?
...Actually, no. What did they say, and who are "they"?

Ben, no. Salmon, please don't get him started. Zeviz, good timing...

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

Polaris = joy.

In case of emergency, break glass.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #34
Without meaning to cause worry, has BtI posted since the bombings yet?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #35
His last post here was on the 3rd. Checking elsewhere...

It appears that he posted on Desperance well after the bombs went off.

[ Thursday, July 07, 2005 21:13: Message edited by: Manhood Typing Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #36
Will the people of England take Spain's example after the train bombing a year ago? Spain gave into the terrorist demands and curled into a fetal ball, praying that the boogeyman would go away.

Will they take the example of America after 9-11? We went out into the world looking for some asses to kick in retalliation.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Lady Davida:

quote:
Did you see what they said they'd do to any prank callers at the moment?
...Actually, no. What did they say, and who are "they"?

The authorities. It was on the live radio and also oneof the movie clips. They will only send emergency services to an area if someone's situation is lethal, and anyone who prank-calls now can be locked up for a week, and is also liable a £15,000 fine.

Harsh... But needed.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Guardian
Member # 2476
Profile #38
quote:
We went out into the world looking for some asses to kick in retalliation.
Thereby destroying an ancient culture and recruiting a whole new generation of muslim jihadists. Congratulations.

--------------------
Polaris
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #39
Hectonkhyres - We may not have handled 9/11 in the best way possible considering those responsible for the attack remain free.

I won't even comment on Ben…

[ Thursday, July 07, 2005 21:55: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #40
I really don't understand all this violence. Maybe I'm jumping to conclusion. Call me a racist, but, doens't matter to me if it were Marocans (sorry if I misspelled the name), the IRA or somebody else, Why do they do it? What do they gain from it? a sence of satisfaction? How would it help them, in Irak, against an other regime of the US and other countries who still are there. It will only hurt them more, to do this, in my opinion. The Dutch were also in Irak. We are still in Afganistan. I hope the violence and bombings wouldn't start here also (although there already were attacks. Like Vincent van Gogh, and churches and mosks who were burned.)

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #41
Terrorists are like trolls, but on a much larger and more dangerous scale, if you'll forgive the somewhat humorous analogy. They appear en masse once in a while to make sure people don't ever get comfortable in the least. And we feed the terrorists by panicking about them for months while they sit and laugh, waiting to destabilize the world once again.

I'm tired of it. I do not care what twisted religious ideal they are hiding behind; Christianity, Islam, and Judaism do NOT preach killing as something honorable, even for religious purposes. Killing in the name of a crusade or Jihad is a perversion of holy texts by mankind. Al Quaeda terrorists aren't following the Quoran in the way Mohammed would have condoned. Murdering hundreds of your fellow men is definitely not an example of spreading love to others (a staple of ALL THREE major western religions, making any religious wars absolutely contradictory to true followers, by the way), and is certainly no fast track to a Heaven with 17 virgins. Some violent fool using a veil of Islam took a bunch of passages from of the Quoran and put them together out of context to justify these kinds of things.

Al-Quaeda isn't a group of real Muslims. They bastardize Islam and are thus an affront to spiritual people around the world. The use of religion to justify wanton destruction is one of the reasons why I'm an atheist.

I am greatly saddened by the London attacks. Our countries ought to stop bickering about who is harboring who and just try to root out the cells. Getting distracted by the politics of other nations, no matter how corrupt one nation's government might be, takes attention away from the true terrorist threat. We might succeed in "banning the trolls," then. And that's as far as my political commentary will go.

IP ban Al-Quaeda!

[ Thursday, July 07, 2005 22:59: Message edited by: Slp006 ]

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #42
Why do they do it? To create terror and suffering, and to undermine our way of life. Because they're so pathetic the only way they can validate their lives is to try and ruin other people's.

But they will fail. Everyone is united in their sympathy for the victims of the bombings. But already today most of London is back to normal - trains and buses are running except for the directly affected stations, people are going to work as usual. In Scotland the G8 summit will resume and, I hope, we will be a step closer to a fairer world.

In London we previously experienced terrorist attacks in the 70s/80s/90s. Most people's lives continued as normal, and we persisted in an attempt to find a peaceful solution to the conflict in the North of Ireland. There is work to do there, but the ceasefire continues. The IRA did not succeed in terrorising us and nor will these new terrorists.

London 2012 - Olympic Host City

--------------------
Everything I know about the Avernum Trilogy: [ A1 | A2 | A3 ]
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #43
What pisses me off the most is that these were people that would have never caused any harm. They're not even trying to attack military targets. They fight like cowards, attacking and then fleeing back to their holes in the sand, not bothering to stand and fight like men. WWI and WWII were the best (not saying that war and death are good) in the fact that the enemy was fighting fairly. Sure they may not have been great people but they didn't just blow themselves up in the midst of innocent people and then wait for chaos to ensue. They stood and fought with some honor.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by Manhood Typing Kelandon:

His last post here was on the 3rd. Checking elsewhere...

It appears that he posted on Desperance well after the bombs went off.

Yes, and I talked to him on AIM yesterday as well.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #45
I'm absolutely fine. I live about 65 miles away from London and my absence was purely due to a brief holiday I was taking. I was at Stansted at about 10AM and saw that the trains to London weren't running, but that's as close as I got.

I'm sure whichever extremist group, whatever its connection to Al-Qaeda (because it's an extremely decentralised group, they simply couldn't run a tightly organised group of such a size now) will claim Iraq as a reason. I really do doubt that it was a significant factor, however. Bush's comment that it is happening because "they hate our freedoms" is actually broadly accurate. They hate Christians, in all their forms, they hate Hindus, and Sikhs and probably almost every Muslim who doesn't follow the same interpretation of the Qu'ran as they do. They hate our cultural mores, our wealth, our power. Essentially, they just hate. Behind the religion and indoctrination, those who actually carried out the attacks, as with terrorist footsoldiers across the centuries, are more than anything likely to be fueled by pure atavistic fury at anything which they can identify as 'other.'

Kingy, I don't think I can agree with you about the fighting in WW1 and WW2 was more noble. Not only were most of the casualties caused by long-range artillery fire, but the very concept of the noble death is a myth. Death simply cannot be glorious, it is by its very nature wretched. One can make an argument that it is necessary, but this is appalling because somebody deliberately planned a co-ordinated attack to kill large numbers of civilians, not because they did so and made no attempt to give away their positions.

[ Friday, July 08, 2005 01:43: Message edited by: Unpleasantness for its Own Sake ]

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Hectonkhyres:

Will the people of England take Spain's example after the train bombing a year ago? Spain gave into the terrorist demands and curled into a fetal ball, praying that the boogeyman would go away.

Will they take the example of America after 9-11? We went out into the world looking for some asses to kick in retalliation.

Failling miserably to get Osama, going to Iraq following the petroil smell trail, killing many civilians on the way, causing the creation of terrorist groups.

Except England (wich kissed Bush's ass), all Europe wasn't agains't Iraq evasion. Did that stop Bush? No. He imposed his narrow view. At the end, he had the nerve to ask Europe's help to support the costs of mantaining order and reconstruction in Iraq.

And Bush was reelected (incredible, isn't it?).

I guess England suffered for being USA's ally.

Terorrist are wrong. USA and England were/are wrong. And who sufferes? Innocent civilians of both sides.

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Infiltrator
Member # 4637
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

They fight like cowards, attacking and then fleeing back to their holes in the sand, not bothering to stand and fight like men.
They fight as they can. If you destroyed an ant hole and those ants attacked you, you wouldn't say they were cowards, because you're just one and they are millions attacking you. Well, terrorists are smarter than ants, and know they would be just stomped if they made a frontal attack to their opressors.

What the purpose of attacking innocent people? Terror. It's plain wrong and cruel. But they aren't the only ones killing innocent people too.

So this is a "war", where there isn't a "good" side vs a "bad" side. They're both "bad", although terrorists are a little bit "worse". It's hard to take a side, when both have "collateral damage".

--------------------
Visit the Blades of Avernum Center
and the Beta Testing Center

--------------
"Beware lest anyone cheat you through philosophy and empty deceit, according to the tradition of men, according to the basic principles of the world, and not according to Christ." Colossians 2:6-9
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #48
At the end of the day, the English will neither curl up in panic, or go out kicking arses in retaliation. We will carry on the way we always do, regardless of what is going on on our doorstep. We still have the same "get over it, get on with it" attitude we always have, and I for one have already used the Tube today as normal.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #49
quote:
Originally written by ef:

quote:
We went out into the world looking for some asses to kick in retalliation.
Thereby destroying an ancient culture and recruiting a whole new generation of muslim jihadists. Congratulations.

ef, the Taliban was doing a pretty good job of destroying ancient culture in Afghanistan on its own. Also, are you so keen to defend their rights to subjugate women to such an extent?

In fact, I would posit that we haven't destroyed any ancient culture. I don't know where you're getting this.

[ Friday, July 08, 2005 04:24: Message edited by: Drew ]

Pages