Avernum I: The Movie

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Avernum I: The Movie
Infiltrator
Member # 878
Profile #25
Yes, but there are 3 separate unrelated main quests in Avernum (finding tunnel to surface, assasinating emperor, and saving avernum from enemies.

Alternately in Avernum 2 there is the overall war against the empire, but you have 3 main missions: retrieving crystal souls, destroying the teleporter, and assasinating the enemy commander.

On the other hand Avernum 3 is more focused on one objective.

--------------------
Warning: Posts may contain misspellinks and typo.s
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #26
So either pick one and chuck the others, or combine them.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #27
They'd just take the options that would be the easiest to make into a sellable movie.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #28
Ahem. Calista Flockhart has already signed on for the role of Rentar-Ihrno.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #29
If anything from the exile/avernum story was to be made into a movie, maybe it would be better to have all three stuck together, as a sort of history. Of course the writers would have to develop the plot alot more and cut out the useless, but otherwise the story is really quite interesting. At least it could be better than A LOT of other movies that i've seen.

Speaking of which, why are there no avernum/exile/nethergate/geneforge fanfics?

P.S Don't give Vin Diesel a role.

[ Saturday, June 25, 2005 02:07: Message edited by: Backwards impaired. ]

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #30
Three main reasons. Firstly, Jeff's games have kind of a small audience. Secondly, Jeff has said that he doesn't really approve of fanfiction. Thirdly, Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum sort of make fanfiction unnecessary.

There is some Exile fanfiction in existence (Tharma wrote some, although I'm not sure if any of it's still online now), but not much.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #31
How about someone just making one hell of a long cutscene in BoA or an engine of their own or something and call that the 'movie'.

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #32
I think it won't be too long before talented amateurs will be able to make home-made all-computer-graphics movies that will be indistinguishable from any Hollywood production. Pixels are pixels, and eventually there will be shareware libraries of actors, scenery, special effects -- whatever you want. Blades of Hollywood, in effect. So I expect to live to see Avernum, the Movie.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #33
I think Lindsay should atleast be a Vahnatai then.
Apprentice
Member # 6001
Profile #34
What is "Avernum the Movie" against Avernum the game? At most a pale shade. You couldn't make a movie interactive :P

--------------------
* add anything meaningful here
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Originally written by Meter Maid:

What is "Avernum the Movie" against Avernum the game? At most a pale shade. You couldn't make a movie interactive :P
Just you wait... If they had the movie in DVD form, you might be able to choose your own path (which would lead to a different part of movie). As said above, it might get done someday, but not for some time...

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #36
quote:
Originally written by Meter Maid:

Many RPGs made nowadays disagree. You either control the killing and wandering only and the plot progresses will ye, nill ye, or you watch as the automated fighting extracts the viscera of your foes without your having to click even once.

—Alorael, who has seen non-Tharma Exile/Avernum fan fiction while looking it up for a prior query on the subject. None of it was good or memorable, and he doesn't care to find it now. Use Google yourself.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Skip to My Lou
Member # 40
Profile Homepage #37
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

Better still, we could make it into a reality TV show. Reducing the population of people who are willing to appear on reality TV shows can never be a bad thing.
This is clearly the best option.

I also agree that any TV series would be much better than a movie. There's just never enough time in movies to do justice to books/games.

I just bought Dungeon Siege (the game) a couple weeks ago. The description of the movie shows a completely different plot than the game. It looks like all they kept was a few main characters and a couple of the different races.

--------------------
Take the Personality Test! INTJ 100% 75% 100% 44%
Huzzah for the Masterminds!
www.Keirsey.com for personality information.
The Sloganizer! "Swing your Archmage Alex."
Deep down, you wish you were a stick figure.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #38
Re: Micael's comment on DVD interactivity.

That is old school.

I forget the name of the game, but in the mid 80's there was a game on laser disc in the arcades. It was extremely expensive, maybe called dragon quest. Anyhow.

I can totally see Avernum as a movie. It would suck.

*this message sponsored by all the originals that hollywood has killed in the remake*
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #39
I have most of Tharma's stuff printed out and stuffed in a folder.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
====
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #40
quote:
Originally written by Thuryl:

[QB]Three main reasons. Firstly, Jeff's games have kind of a small audience. Secondly, Jeff has said that he doesn't really approve of fanfiction. Thirdly, Blades of Exile and Blades of Avernum sort of make fanfiction unnecessary.
QB]
Yeah I can see how Blades is an interactive sort of fan fiction, they run on the same principles but just different meduims. Jeff's dissaproval of fanfics really doesn't make much sense then.

Anyhow, i think there's definitely alot of potential in the story to make a movie or a book. It just needs to be in the hands of a good writer. I can also see some natural locations being used too, like mountains and caves and such. Kind of LOTR style.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5966
Profile Homepage #41
This is how I figure the movie would go (If, presuming it was two hours long)

0:00-0:15 The banishment of the party.
0:15-0:25 The whole history of Avernum.
0:25-0:50 Party finds out what's going on and goes on a few quests. (Sliths, Nephil, and so on)
0:50-1:30 Party heads down to Tower of Magi to find demons causing all sorts of problems/Them banishing the demons.
1:30-1:40 The party learns that the Archmage Erika has heard of their victories and she needs them for a special job (which they later find out is assasinating the emperor of the surface world).
1:40-2:00 Party goes up to the surface, fights way into throne room and gets rid of the emperor. They pat themselves on the back for a job well done and leave. Erika is overjoyed that the emperor is dead and Avernum celebrates. Meanwile, back on the surface, the Empire decides to invade Avernum. Massive armies of troops are gathered and they start teleporting them into Avernum.
Screen fades to black.
Credits roll.
Sequeal is about the Avernum/Empire war where we meet our little alien friends from down below.

--Diarog Lethuta

--------------------
Ever since I met you so very long ago,
There's been something I've badly needed to know,
Do you love me and want to end my pain?
Or do I pursue your love in vain?

"And your not a doctor, but you play one in real life" -Jerry Seinfield

"My power extends far beyond space and time, do not dare oppose me, for my wrath is something to be greatly feared" -Diarog Lethuta: The Tome of Diarog Lethuta, Egypt, 5000 B.C.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #42
I would switch the history of Avernum and the banishment of the heros.

--------------------
====
====
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Jumpin' Salmon:

I forget the name of the game, but in the mid 80's there was a game on laser disc in the arcades. It was extremely expensive, maybe called dragon quest. Anyhow.
You'd be thinking of the Dragon's Lair series there.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #44
Actually, to start to realize the true complexity of Avernum, you'd need about 3 4-hour movies, one for each game. This would only happen in somebody other than Jeff and ourselves had a little money to spend. After all, in comparasin to most other RPGs, nobody's really played Avernum, so it wouldn't be as big of a hit as some more popular titles.

But then again, it is a movie, and people like movies.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #45
There's a series of Dragon's Lair games? Impeccable timing with absolutely no prompting once is painful enough!

Drakey: Why the penchant for storing in hard copy? You still owe us a BEEP, by the way. Consider it atonement for RiB.

—Alorael, who would also accept a custom title. That would be plenty nifty for him.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by ben III:

Actually, to start to realize the true complexity of Avernum, you'd need about 3 4-hour movies, one for each game.
Bull. You cut out all the boring filler (boring to WATCH not necessarily PLAY before anyone jumps on me), and you're struggling to find 45 minutes of decent material.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by Backwards impaired.:

Yeah I can see how Blades is an interactive sort of fan fiction
Screw you and die.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #48
quote:
Originally written by Marx' Martyr:

quote:
Originally written by Backwards impaired.:

Yeah I can see how Blades is an interactive sort of fan fiction
Screw you and die.

Blades is where you can change/make new stories from the basics of the Avernum plot by Jeff. This is very similar to the principles of fan fiction.

You could at least EXPLAIN your objection, and be less of an idiot.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5986
Profile #49
He's a Marxist, and apparently a die-hard one. They never seem to want to explain anything to the bourgeoisie. It's a religion, I tell you. That's his way of saying, "Repent, heathen!"

--------------------
Wu wei... it's the only way

Pages