Harry Potter

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Harry Potter
Shaper
Member # 5450
Profile Homepage #0
I've been preparing for this for a while...

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince will be on the shelves at 12:01am on July 16th. As we draw nearer (29 days at the time of posting) and excitment is at an all time high for the HP fans, I ask you this: Will you be part of the rush to get the next installment in the Harry Potter series?

I love Harry Potter, and will of course be purchasing HP & the HBP.

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 02:51: Message edited by: SprungSpring ]

Poll Information
This poll contains 2 question(s). 61 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=SmSeGxRtRNgR"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=SmSeGxRtRNgR"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
I'll put a Spring in your step.

Polaris
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
No on both counts. If my sister buys it I'll probably read it when she's done, but otherwise no - even at the cost of missing the original English version.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #2
Yes. In some ways, I feel pretty embarassed to be a 27-year-old man purchasing a children's book at 12:01 who will likely finish reading it the same day (that's what happened with the last one. I guess they're just too much fun). :)

Hopefully Harry won't be as much of a jackass in this one.

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 05:40: Message edited by: Drew ]
Infiltrator
Member # 5566
Profile #3
I have second reserve at the library but my brother might buy it

--------------------
Why are you reading this ?
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #4
I will buy myself a copy. Harry Potter is a great book serie. I have already read the whole serie trice and now I am reading it in english for the first time. Harry Potter is tough not a masterpiece. I see many errors in it and preferences that immediately marks it as not. But if I could choose between a technical masterpiece and a flaw-full good story, I would take the later.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #5
quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Hopefully Harry won't be so much of a jackass in this one.
Hear, hear. I thought that was the most annoying bit about OotP. I mean, okay, puberty and all that, but the irrationality and stupidity was way overdone.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #6
I might buy it when it comes out in paperback, but will probably just borrow it from a friend at some point. The book isn't going to disappear forever if I don't buy it the moment it comes out and after finishing it, there will be a long wait for the next installment anyway.

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I'm on the borrowing from friends list. I have been known to read Harry Potter books in a day, but I haven't yet found a copy of the latest installment, nor do I expect to get my hands on the new one soon. I can't say I look very hard, either. Call me an "in my day" kind of backwards-looking old fogey, but I really do think that the books have been going steadily downhill.

—Alorael, who gets most of his humorous fantasy needs from Terry Pratchett. No, it's not the same, but Hogwarts doesn't have equal rights for the differently alive, either.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #8
The HP book doesn't come out until July over here. I'm not particularly excited, but we're getting it nonetheless. I mean, my mum is getting it, I'm not paying anything. Can't afford to. Really. :/

As a matter of fact, I haven't even build up any kind of expectations for it yet. Most likely won't botehr either. Potter isn't real fantasy, so why bother?

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #9
Harry Potter teaches evil Satanic messages to children. Evil.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Shock Trooper
Member # 5585
Profile #10
I will not buy the new Harry Potter book. I own all the ones that have been written before, since I have relatives that buy them for me, and I don't really like them enough to pay for them myself.

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 10:06: Message edited by: I'm also not Alorael ]

--------------------
Important Information about Stuff
BANNED
Member # 2385
Profile Homepage #11
OMGZORSZ M4gix R EV0LXORSZS HAIRY POTRE IZ TEH DEVILXORSZ W0RX!!!!!!!!!!!!111111111

What makes Harry Potter so different from Mickey Mouse? I, too, plan on buying the Half-Blooded Wizard when it comes out.

--------------------
I am the apidimy of seven sausages.
The Abyss DEAD.
TEH EVOL STRAWBERY When fruit fights back.
End of World We're definitely going to blow ourselves up.
? Man, ? Amazing
Member # 5755
Profile #12
Children need more Satanic messages of evil being delivered in the guise of "you're an underdog, save the world" type of books.
Adults need to say no to children requesting $30 for a book. Any book.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #13
Especially when they could just buy it online for alot cheaper...

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #14
Never read any book in the series. I just never got around to give them a try while my reading habit was still intact. As it is, nowadays all I'll read is a good, gripping Agatha Christie mystery novel. About the only sort of book that manages to keep me interested.

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 13:07: Message edited by: Stugri-La ]

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #15
quote:
Originally written by Smoked Salmon:

Adults need to say no to children requesting $30 for a book. Any book.

30$ for a single book?! Is that US or Canadian dollars? If it's US, that almost compares to the price of some textbooks. Why would anybody waste that much money for a fiction book?

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 14:15: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #16
My textbooks cost on average about $100 each.

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 14:19: Message edited by: Aurelia ]

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #17
Oh, man, books can easily be more expensive than US $30.

But I've never read Harry Potter. I'm probably only one of about 11 in the world who haven't. :/

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #18
quote:
Originally written by Aurelia:

My textbooks cost on average about $100 each.
Yeah, same here. There's profiteering taking place on a large scale in the textbooks/teaching aids industry, or so it seems.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #19
I guess it depends on the textbooks. Mine averaged around 70$, but I think there were a few cheaper ones. As for fiction books, I am more used to 5-10$ paperbacks.

As for price of textbooks, it's probably just an extra source of income for univercities that publish them. (Campus bookstores are always terribly overpriced, but textbooks aren't cheap even when bought online.)

[ Thursday, June 16, 2005 14:27: Message edited by: Zeviz ]

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Stugri-La:

Yeah, same here. There's profiteering taking place on a large scale in the textbooks/teaching aids industry, or so it seems.
The books are even more expensive if bought form the school itself. It's more cost effective to buy them online and skip the middleman.

They're science books, namely anatomy, physiology, and psychology.

--------------------
Nena
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1546
Profile Homepage #21
I won't be a 12:01 maniac, but you can guarantee that within a week of its release, i'll have a nice shiney new Harry Potter book in my hands.

It might be "childish" but damn its good.

--------------------
A Sucaran Child is standing here.
You say, "hello"
The small child looks at Preserver Aldous wide-eyed and awed.
Veteran*
Member # 5
Profile #22
If I'm not busy, I might venture out to Wal-Mart after midnight and pick up a copy. I like the series, myself.
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #23
quote:
Originally written by 2984:

quote:
Originally written by Drew:

Hopefully Harry won't be so much of a jackass in this one.
Hear, hear. I thought that was the most annoying bit about OotP. I mean, okay, puberty and all that, but the irrationality and stupidity was way overdone.

Yup, agreed.

I'll probably read it at some stage.

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #24
They're ok, but not buying instantly good. I mean, I will read it but chances are I'll just borrow it from a friend or something.

Pages