Recommended Reading

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Recommended Reading
Shock Trooper
Member # 565
Profile #50
Most of John Marston's books are great.
The 'Tomorrow when the war began' series and he has just started an add on the that the Elle chronicles, the first one is "While I live"
Isobelle Carmody's Obernewtyn series (btw did anyone else notice that G3 has more that a few name from this series in the game??)
Tamora Pierce - 5 different series, all great

And the best one for all the harry potter fans.....
Barry Trotter (believe me its funny)

--------------------
If there is no light at the end of the tunnel, stride down there and turn the damm thing on yourself!

people often tell me i've lost my mind, but i tell them i have to have one to lose it!

lions and tigers and bears, oh my!
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #51
Salmon of Doubt isn't strictly a Dirk Gently book, either. It's essentially the bits and pieces that were left on his hard drive. The Dirk Gently bit only stretches to about five chapters of that, as I recall.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #52
Long Dark Tea Time is probably the most humorous book I've ever read. Not all of it is wonderful, but there are several spots in it so hilarious, I had to stop reading for a moment in order to read through the laughter.

[ Monday, June 13, 2005 08:23: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #53
Here is a series of science fiction books which is rather interesting. It is about alien war, refugees, black operations, piracy, and growing up in war zones. The author is Karin Lowachee-- Warchild, Burndive, and Cagebird. There is some pretty hard edged stuff in these books, but they are well written. It is not just sex and violence.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Infiltrator
Member # 5567
Profile Homepage #54
If you like fantasy, try the David Eddings books. They're very good. Or try Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, the wierdest books in the world.

--------------------
How many shapers are there?
Why is Drypeak controlled by Zakary?
Why is Barzahl a Guardian?
How does the Geneforge work?
What's as small as nothing?
Why am I asking stupid questions?
--------------------------------
Shaper teacher : "DON'T TOUCH THAT!"
BOOM!!
apprentice :*little voice* "Sorry..."
---------------------------
Visit CSM !!! And this site is just great! Wow! Did you know what the answer to the gretest question ever is ?
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #55
Another pick to add. John Crowley, Lord Byron's Novel The Evening Land. Very well written. He also wrote Little Big which is excellent.

--------------------

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #56
Sword of Shanara is pretty good. Not sure who thats by.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #57
Maybe you read it already, and you'll need a specific type of humor. i say, try the Hitch hikers guide to the galaxy. I read it two times in the past few months.

[ Wednesday, July 06, 2005 23:02: Message edited by: Thralni ]

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Click here for more information on Olga's fortune teller kiosk

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Work has begun on the Nephilian grammar and vocabulary guide!
E Equals MC What!!!!
Member # 5491
Profile Homepage #58
quote:
Originally written by Kingy:

Sword of Shanara is pretty good. Not sure who thats by.
I would tell you to read the freaking thread, but I feel like I've been doing too much yelling lately. Instead, I'll politely inform you that the series in question is by Terry Brooks.

What is it with Terrys (Terries?) and fantasy writing, anyway?

--------------------
Sex is easier than love.
Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #59
Do not know; coincidence I guess?

Anyway, I borrowed a big bunch of four books which seemed good and now when I have read through them I can confirm they were. The books were following:

"A simple plan" by Scott Smith

"Four Letters of Love" by Niall Williams

"Everything's Eventual" by Stephen King

"The dwarfs" by Harold Pinter

My favourite of these was "Four Letters of Love", I strongly recommend it. I also recommend Jan Guilou's "The evil" (Translation of the swedish title, I may be wrong about the real english title. The swedish title is "Ondskan".), it is a good book about pennalism and sadism.

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #60
He eagle! Nice to see you again. i already wondered were you where! A book I'm reading at the moment is called "A Russian novel." I really like it.

--------------------
Thralni's almighty Avernum pages: My webpage, containing scenario's and graphics made by me (And maybe someday the homepage of the almighty chicken gods).

Olga's fortune teller kiosk has been temporarily closed down, but you can contact the prophet with a PM - Was signed by the prophet of the almighty chicken gods, gods of everything that is a chicken.

Infiltrator
Member # 5806
Profile Homepage #61
Got found of me or something? :P Hehe, I got things to study, books to read and novels to write and if I sit here everyday I will get nothing of the mentioned things done... and I forgot to mention I have started working on a BoE scenario. If I only could drag my bottom to the bank and post office so I could get that Exile II and BoE registration done (Not likely though, it is so hot outside I do not even dare to put on some cloths except my underwear (I looks like a slob right now, *"shudder"*...).).

All hail! Spiderweb is the best and most amusing time-waster! :D

EDIT: Do not get me wrong with my first line. I was merely implying that I found it ironicly amusing that I can get someone to like me without delibaretly putting any effort to do so.

[ Thursday, July 07, 2005 02:08: Message edited by: Eagle, the author soul ]

--------------------
So, as the great Groxy, I have come back to be served by goblins. In the "main hall" of the goblin cave was a large totem which resembled very much of... me.
Master
Member # 5977
Profile Homepage #62
quote:
Originally written by Eagle, the author soul:

EDIT: Do not get me wrong with my first line. I was merely implying that I found it ironicly amusing that I can get someone to like me without delibaretly putting any effort to do so.
Well, you know... after these discussion about chickens and grammar... the good'ol times.

--------------------

Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #63
I'll willingly back Terry Brooks and Michael Crichton, especially Congo, Rising Sun and Timeline by the latter. Colleen McCullogh's First Man in Rome is good too.

There're others, but I can't remember them offhand.

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #64
I have to plug "Hitchhiker" again. It is that good.

And, I don't think anybody said this (but I did skim-read), but "1984" is a wonderful book. Distopia has never been so good!

--------------------
"I am a living sign..."

Thus endeth this post.
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #65
The "Black Company" novels by Glen Cook. Starts with the novel of that name. Very dark, but very good - especially the first four.

--------------------
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #66
Another one to add -- Here, There, and Everywhere by Chris Roberson-- a kind of time travel adventure yarn.

--------------------

Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #67
It's amazing how long the Black Company books have been in print. 20 years is a long, long time for fantasy paperbacks that never get made into movies. They're grim and down to earth in ways that I think were original. How often does the climactic battle of a fantasy trilogy turn on genealogical records?

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 6102
Profile #68
quote:
Originally written by cfgauss:

If you like sci-fi, "Ender's Game" and "A Mote in God's Eye" are both really good books.

Edit: Ooh, I can't forget to mention the books about the video game Halo! If you've played Halo, there are three books that are really good that everyone should read!

Is "Ender's Game" about that young kid, I think he was like 6 or 7, that was trained in that space simulation for a war, which turned out to be one giant game and he beat the crap out of some kid 5 years his senior? Maybe I got that book mixed up with another sci-fi genre book...

--------------------
"Truly, if there is evil in this world, it lies in the heart of mankind." -Edward D. Morrison
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #69
quote:
Originally written by Jeros:

quote:
Originally written by cfgauss:

If you like sci-fi, "Ender's Game" and "A Mote in God's Eye" are both really good books.

Edit: Ooh, I can't forget to mention the books about the video game Halo! If you've played Halo, there are three books that are really good that everyone should read!

Is "Ender's Game" about that young kid, I think he was like 6 or 7, that was trained in that space simulation for a war, which turned out to be one giant game and he beat the crap out of some kid 5 years his senior? Maybe I got that book mixed up with another sci-fi genre book...

As a matter of fact, you got it right. That's just about the plot...

To add to the list of sci-fi, try the Honor Harrington series (the first 3-5 and first 3 of the anthologies are the best) by David Weber, as well as the sci-fi of David Drake.

Don't forget L.E. Modesitt, who's written both fantasy and sci-fi, or Timothy Zahn.

[ Tuesday, July 19, 2005 13:31: Message edited by: Jame2 ]

--------------------
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #70
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

It's amazing how long the Black Company books have been in print. 20 years is a long, long time for fantasy paperbacks that never get made into movies. They're grim and down to earth in ways that I think were original. How often does the climactic battle of a fantasy trilogy turn on genealogical records?
I think it helps that the series is still ongoing. As long as Glen Cook churns out new Black Company books and can sell them, people will want the first few books.

—Alorael, who must compare this to some other trilogy he read, whose name he can't recall, in which the first book was out of print by the time the third book was published.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #71
Well, the series is limping. It seems to run on reviving various Taken and making them out to be a whole heck of a lot harder to kill than they ever were in the original trilogy. Warmed over villains, yech.

--------------------
It is not enough to discover how things seem to seem. We must discover how things really seem.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #72
I will yet again vouch for the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin series, the "Master and Commander" series. These are the greatest works I've ever read, whether fiction or non-. The whole series beats out Les Mis, for me, and that's probably my favorite book ever.

[ Tuesday, July 19, 2005 17:44: Message edited by: Drew ]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #73
quote:
Originally written by Student of Trinity:

Well, the series is limping. It seems to run on reviving various Taken and making them out to be a whole heck of a lot harder to kill than they ever were in the original trilogy. Warmed over villains, yech.
A series that has been limping for a decade has something going for it. I can't pretend to know what, but something keeps them selling.

—Alorael, who doesn't quite agree with the analysis anyway. It's more like two series. One was fine and one limped from the outset but didn't really become any more crippled along the way.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #74
More recommendations. Eleanor Updale, Montmorency: Thief, Liar, Gentleman?
A nice victorian novel.

Curt Benjamin-- Lords of Grass and Thunder. I am reading this right now. It is a fantasy set in a pseudo Mongolia.

--------------------

Pages