Fantasy Stories

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Fantasy Stories
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #0
I was just wondering if anyone here has attempted to write or is writing a story with a fantasy setting. Not necessarily magic\medieval, any fantasy story including ones set in ancient history or in the future are included.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #1
Which is located at http://www.srcf.ucam.org/~eet23/canal/

Wear goggles while reading.

--------------------
Bending, but not in the way you might imagine.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #3
I'm writing a story (in Finnish), but it's rather science fiction where the main characters see their world as magical.

I have lots of unfinished fantasy short stories. The earliest are so bad that it's funny to read them...but I believe I have made some progress over the years, thanks to the audience that I've got.

I've thought the whole (vast) plot of my current project through in my mind but now I'm scratching my head about how to also write a decent story out of it.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #4
I am writing 4004 short stories which, together, make a civilization. They should be finished by the end of Hilary's first term.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #5
i started some sort of webnovel, but with school and all, it's kinda hung there in my computer, collecting dust now... maybe i'll get to it after the January exams/tests.

Alec: work faster! :P
:rolleyes:

--------------------
Polaris - Weather balloons, ninjas, and your big daddy Wise Man. What more could you want?
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #6
I wrote one for a webboard once, the story was surrounding a game. I might dig it up...

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #7
I'm currently writing (off and on) a "fantasy story" which is done in the style of a Homeric Epic. Yes, it is indeed an epic, and will be very long when I finish. I started the project with the knowledge that I won't finish until I'm well into my adulthood.

I'm on the 3rd book (kinda just started it), and so far it's about a young man who turns out as a savior to his people, with a little help of the Gods, of course. This is as much of a learning project as it is a constructive one: I've been researching the little style-oids of Homer and have been digging up examples of certain Gods' personalities. Quite fun.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #8
I participated in NaNoWriMo in 2004 (and in 2003 also, but I gave up). The goal is to write a 50,000 word novel within November, in 30 days.

I wrote that much, but it's not finished and pretty much crap. Still, I plan on editing it. The parts I thought were readable are published at http://shadowsrising.blogspot.com

But don't say I didn't warn you. :rolleyes:

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"Really, Spiderweb is just a big, steaming pool of estrogen." --- Robin
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #9
I'm an Official Elfwood Writer. Sort of. On and off writer of stories, mostly fantasy or something weird enough to be classified as 'fantasy'. Nothing terribly recent there, though. Or long. Or good, for that matter.

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #10
I'm not a fantasy writer - I haven't not enough time to do anything remotely recreational. But, for all those out there who are, I've found tthis place to be pretty cool: Fan Fiction

--------------------
Everybody knows, but nobody understands.

Thus endeth this post.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
It is a generally accepted estimate that 90% of all fan-fiction sucks. That is not to say that there isn't good writing amongst it, but... fair warning.

--------------------
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
Infiltrator
Member # 1092
Profile Homepage #12
I should try to write one..it'll end up hell wierd though.

--------------------
When you think you can't get any lower in life and hit rock bottom, God hands you a shovel.

Following the rights movements
You clamped on with your iron fists
drugs being conviently available for all the kids

Minor drug offenders fill your prisons
You don't even flinch
All our takes paying
For your wars against the new non rich
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #13
Anywhere that categorically accepts all writing that means minimum requirements for decency and (maybe) comprehensible vocabulary and syntax is, of course, going to get filled with garbage. The simple fact is that more people would like to write than can write well.

The result is a great deal of absolute crap, a great many works of mediocrity (some of which are first efforts that may lead to better writing in the future), and a few gems. Finding the gems is not at all easy, especially when the closest thing to a review system on fanfiction.net and similar sites tends to be worthless.

—Alorael, who would also contend that "fanfic" now almost carries a connotation of schlock writing. One can write based on another's works, but calling it fan fiction brings to mind the worst of the "genre," not the best.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #14
My grammar sucks... To get published you need to have less than two obvious grammatical mistakes per page or the editors won't even look at it. They just throw it in the slush pile. It costs a lot of money to have a proofreader run through a grammatically bad story. So, I have been working on improving my grammar and structure. I got one rejection slip for a short story I sent in.

From what I understand, the best way to do it is to send in several short stories for publishing. Once you get three or four stories in print, you have a much better chance of getting a book published.

I've thought about writing here and there, but am not doing it right now. If I did start writing again; I would look for a writing group so I could get critiqued regularly.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #15
quote:
Originally written by Aedrac:

I'm currently writing (off and on) a "fantasy story" which is done in the style of a Homeric Epic. Yes, it is indeed an epic, and will be very long when I finish. I started the project with the knowledge that I won't finish until I'm well into my adulthood.

I'm on the 3rd book (kinda just started it), and so far it's about a young man who turns out as a savior to his people, with a little help of the Gods, of course. This is as much of a learning project as it is a constructive one: I've been researching the little style-oids of Homer and have been digging up examples of certain Gods' personalities. Quite fun.

You're writing in dactylic hexameter?
Shock Trooper
Member # 258
Profile Homepage #16
I find the most annoying thing to deal with in writeing is the writers block. A little deamon who not only stops your writeing but also makes you completly forget what you were writeing about. It's quite an effective creature. That's why I prefer RPG's. There structured enough that you don't have to worry about blocks. If you have one you can rely on others to pick it up for you and carry you onward and as long as you take the time to read what has been written then you should be alright in the end. Speaking of RPG's:)

--------------------
...well I thought it was funney...? didn't you?
Apprentice
Member # 5383
Profile #17
I've been writing a fantasy novel for some time now yet seem to have dead ended... the schematics of it are quite different though for the plot comes from a series of genres mixing fantasy with more or less a failed futuristic civilization due to... well I cant reveal that...maybe I'll get some of it typed up and post it till then just wait in anticipation....

--------------------
stay forever......

the title of my story which is at a slight standstill due to my creativity bleeding away slowly blahhh
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #18
You could post your story online and we could make up the ending. :D

Just a thought.

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

You're writing in dactylic hexameter?
Attempting to, yes. I never said this was coming along easily. I am, however, ignoring the Greek stuff, and just using English. The only exceptions are the proper nouns, which are the original Greek, but in our Arabic characters.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #20
Um, Arabic is for numerals. Our alphabet is Roman. :P

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #21
I write. Nobody likes it. Life goes on.

--------------------
私のバラドですそしてころしたいいらればころす
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 5383
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Lighter:

You could post your story online and we could make up the ending. :D

Just a thought.

thats alright but thanks for the offer...

--------------------
stay forever......

the title of my story which is at a slight standstill due to my creativity bleeding away slowly blahhh
Warrior
Member # 37
Profile #23
I have a 25k-word (so far) Final Fantasy XI fanfiction in progress.
And about as much content in other, failed/deleted projects.

--------------------
{Tempus} jack thompson? ppl actually admire that freak?
{@Fanateeq72802} Not everyone disagrees with him.
{+iris} Someone should send him a few of the more steamy Japanese dating sim games. His head would explode.
{@Fanateeq72802} And I'd laugh. Hard.
{Tempus} im on it. brb
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #24
They say that before you become a decent writer, you have to write a million words (I think "they" means in this case Hemingway, actually). Sadly, I am barely at 180000, and that is the result of three years of writing. If I don't hurry, I might be a writer at fifty... :(

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 5322
Profile #25
oh, but aren't most of the succesful writers something like 50 anyway? ;-)

Pages