Books! What're you reading?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Books! What're you reading?
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #25
I hate the Redwall series. Those mise, hedehogs, badgers and others are a bunch of vicious, bloodthirsty hypocrites. The writer is a racist, and he portrays his feelings through the innocent animals! Remember, the ONLY 'good' rat was a complete idiot. Apparently all the sane ones are OMG OMG EVOL.

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #26
I wouldn't know. I was like 13 at the time I read the first ones.

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #27
Having just finished a two month hiatus in order to study for the LSAT, I'm now back on the Book Reading Wagon, starting up the second half of the Patrick O'Brian Aubrey-Maturin series with "The Reverse of the Medal." I heartily endorse the portion of the series that I've read so far(ten out of twenty books...), though strongly advise that one start it at the beginning with "Master and Commander."

EDIT: Oh, and I've never quite made it through "Crime and Punishment" myself, though I've been trying to for years. However, I did make it through "The Brothers Karamazov."

Favorite book ever? "Les Miserables."

[ Monday, October 04, 2004 05:48: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #28
I've got a lot of reading on my plate, with this being university application time and my usual habit of having several books on the go.

The full list (although I may have forgotten some) is:
Laxdaela Saga - it's an Icelandic Saga. 'Nuff said.
A Guide to Old English 6th Edition - teaching yourself a language from a book can be painful.
Line of Polity by Neal Asher - fairly disorienting sci-fi.
The Peasants' Revolt by Alastair Dunn - If I walk into a bookshop with money, I'm almost certain to walk out with a book.
Fleshmarket Close by Ian Rankin - this one I can finish off in a few days.
From the Gracchi to Nero by H.H. Scullard - more historical stuff.
Asser's Life of King Alfred - ditto.
Aristophanes' plays - it's obscene and fond of puns, but it's 2500 year old drama. So is it low or high culture? Who cares. It's readable.

Once I work my way through that, I'm going to be moving onto the new Terry Pratchett, Bede's Ecclesiastical History, Gildas' De Excidio Britanniae, Saxo Grammaticus' Gesta Danorum, Vernadsky's Kievan Russia and The Beginnings of Rome by Tim Cornell. The latter ones will probably wound my wallet and then allowing for reading a few novels in between, I should eventually get round to finishing Paradise Lost and making a start on The Republic.

As you can tell, I'm a bibliophile in a family of bibliophiles. Problem is that there really is nowhere else to put bookshelves and if I don't watch myself I can be reading in bed until 1AM.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #29
If you're interested in ancient Rome, Michael Rostovtzeff's "Rome", though a little dated in its language, is one of the best relatively brief historical survey texts, and available in paperback.
Infiltrator
Member # 4256
Profile #30
Or how bout a Ancient Roman novel,
Like I Claudius and Claudius The God Those were enjoyable when I read them a couple years ago.

As for me I am slowy making my way through some Tolstoy novels- However I can't remember how to spell most of them at the time. I just finished the Brothers K., The Idiot, Crime and Punishment, and The Underground Notes.
On a different note I'm reading A Brief history of Time, and 300 Years of Gravity by Steven Hawkings, some random Lord Peter novels by Dorothy L. Sayers, and The House of Morgan (A financial history of the U.S.) by Ron Chernow
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #31
I'd post what I like reading, but it would be like preaching Zoroastrianism in the First Baptist Church. (For an idea of what I choose to read, just try bearing through what I choose to write.)

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #32
Practicing to become a Catholic, I see. Good show. Your persecution complex is already doing great.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #33
I read a few of Brian Jacques's novels, and I thought they were pretty good actually. Let's see here, I've read Mattimeo, Mossflower, Martin the Warrior, and part of Mariel of Redwall. I'll get around to finishing it sometime.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #34
I've read almost all of them, although I haven't yet gotten around to the latest two or three. They're fun and quick reads, and are well-written for their content. However, those seeking character development, moral depth or philosophical complexity would be better off looking elsewhere.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #35
quote:
Remember, the ONLY 'good' rat was a complete idiot. Apparently all the sane ones are OMG OMG EVOL.
Is this not how we also view goblins, orcs, ogres? We are all hypocrites I suppose... The rats of Redwall are not all together evil, just greedy. They only fight to follow Cluny for promise of plunder, and if you have read the book, you will remember that all the local rats, stoats, and weasels were pressed into duty under threat of death if they didn't join. Prior to Cluny they had lived peacefully in Mossflower.

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #36
I am currently reading the Earthsea books.
Has anyone here read those?

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #37
Frustration at genuine illiteracy ain't persecution complex. There's an audience with a brain for critically reading; I'm just not in its number yet, and won't be for a year or somesuch similar.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #38
Right now I am reading "Shadowmancer" by G.P. Taylor.

It's a homework assignment.

--------------------
*Blue screen error*
NONEXISTANT WINDOWS ERROR
Windows detects no current errors, so Windows has decided
to screw around with the files until one occurs.

If you never rise against your oppressor, then you've already lost.
-Zephyr Tempest, your personal entertainer
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #39
I'm attempting to read The Illiad in Greek.

Wish me luck.

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #40
My daddy's trying to translate it. In iambic pentameter and all. He has been for the last seven years. I think he's managed a few stanzas.

[ Tuesday, October 05, 2004 03:34: Message edited by: Mewse ]

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #41
quote:
Originally written by Gizmo:

quote:
Remember, the ONLY 'good' rat was a complete idiot. Apparently all the sane ones are OMG OMG EVOL.
Is this not how we also view goblins, orcs, ogres?

I was struck by Drizzt viewing orcs in exactly that way, despite being unhappy at people assuming that all drow are evil.

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
BANNED
Member # 4860
Profile Homepage #42
quote:
Originally written by Bobo Returns:

I am currently reading the Earthsea books.
Has anyone here read those?

o/

It's a few years since I read them (just 4 books, right?). I was to loan them from the library just half an hour ago, but the two first parts weren't there for me..! :(

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #43
Originally there were three, and I read those when I was about 12. But now, she came out with two new additions, the second of which I am now reading.

--------------------
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #44
Nothing right now.

--------------------
Inconsistently backward.
SWOH. IM, PATF, ND.
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #45
Did someone say Earthsea? I rather liked the first one, but I can't find the other two for the life of me.

--------------------
XXXIII
Not hear? When noise was everywhere! it tolled
Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
Of all the lost adventurers, my peers -
How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
And such was fortunate, yet each of old
Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #46
I think the fourth Earthsea book has been out for some time, although I've never read it. A friend of mine is reading the fifth one, which has just come out. If I borrow it any time soon, I'll give you my report.

I've translated the first half of book VI of the Odyssey. I actually found it quite fun, far more so than trying to translate Sophocles, for example. Oh, and Homer didn't write in iambic pentameter, Shakespeare did. The Iliad, Odyssey, Aeneid and every other ancient epic written in the Greco-Roman culture were written in hexameters.

EDIT: Also, I picked up Microserfs by Douglas Coupland and Dark Light by Ken Macleod. I never learn.

[ Tuesday, October 05, 2004 11:29: Message edited by: I Would Pay Your Wergild ]

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #48
The first three Earthsea books were my favorites. Tehanu just confused and bored me. Tales from Earthsea was a mixed bag, and The Other Wind was almost back to the level of the first three.

—Alorael, who has just picked up The Erasers. In English, not French.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #49
When I was a little kid, I didn't like Tehanu because it made Sparrowhawk seem considerably less bad-ass. I told Ursula this, and she seemed kind of amused. I like it now, trippy though it be.

Ursula Le Guin is probably my favorite sci-fi/fantasy author; The Lathe Of Heaven may be my favorite sci-fi book. I remember SCREAMING at the TV movie version of it.

[ Tuesday, October 05, 2004 14:08: Message edited by: Andrea ]

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #50
Eh, the Other Wind didn't come close to the first three. The story in it didn't really even finish.

--------------------

Pages