Books! What're you reading?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Books! What're you reading?
Warrior
Member # 126
Profile Homepage #0
I recently finished Beowulf, by... somebody, and Mostrous Regiment by Terry Pratchett. They were quite alright.

I'm trying some Thomas Covenant the Ubeliever right now, and I'm not too sure about it. If it does not begin to pick up in the next few chapters, I may forget about it.

So, what've you all been reading these days? Anything to recommend?

--------------------
XXXIII
Not hear? When noise was everywhere! it tolled
Increasing like a bell. Names in my ears
Of all the lost adventurers, my peers -
How such a one was strong, and such was bold,
And such was fortunate, yet each of old
Lost, lost! one moment knelled the woe of years.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #1
Yay, it's that time of the year again! :)

Sadly, I don't have much spare time left for reading these days. Still occasionally re-reading Hitchhiker's Guide and Lord of the Rings, same old stuff over and over.

I've just finished Richard Feynman's biography ("Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman") - great book by the way.

Other than that, Terry Pratchett holds my attention (I've been trying to get my hands on the latest book, but no time so far - I forget the title, might be the one mentioned above).

These days, I read much more online than on paper, and being that nervous about politics, it's mostly news and discussion (read the Bush/Kerry debate transcript yesterday, and look forward to seeing a recording).

For books that I recommend, check out the free online version of Rick Cook's The WizBiz series. It's utterly fantastic reading.

Also, the Santharian Dream has some great fantasy stories available for reading.

But I need to cut short my post here, 'cause the book I now need to read is my Math textbook, for the exam tomorrow. :rolleyes:

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Warrior
Member # 4778
Profile Homepage #2
I just finished reading Terry Pratchetts "The Thief of Time" and began reading Dan Browns "Deception Point". They are both very advisable in my opinion.

--------------------
www.bigblue.de.gg BoA graphics and more
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #3
I'm trying to get through Lord of the Rings in English, but it's painful. It was so much more interesting in Finnish. I guess it's supposed to be proper english, but it seems a bit weird and I'm not used to it and it keeps distracting me. Also, I may have over-estimated my talents. Simpler stories must do.

--------------------
"Son--err," her father said, "I mean... Daughter, I give you your first and only sword. Use it for with skill for great villainy." Nanoisms

Ooh! Homepage - Blog - Geneforge, +2, +3 - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #4
They just updated the Baen Free Library on Ocotber 1, 2004 on the web and I am reading Freehold by Michael Z. Williamson from there http://www.baen.com/library/. I am also reading the Complete Idiots Guide to Meditation and finished reading Mockeymen by Ian Watson-- this book has a kind of an odd plot to it.

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #5
I just finished The Tawny Man 1: Fool's Errand, by Robin Hobb. Unfortunately, the rest two books haven't yet been translated to Finnish (****). So meh, I guess I'll have to get the English versions and like.. well, not understand what happens. ^^

[ Sunday, October 03, 2004 11:25: Message edited by: Tuhlaajapoika ]

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #6
I seem to be reading more at one time than I usually do. My main reading is usually a novel — in this case, I just finished reading the *Doctor Who* novel *Vanderdeken's Children* by Christopher Bulis, which ended up being a huge time paradox story which I just love.

I'm also slowly reading through Mackay's *Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds*, and just recently got my own copy of *The World's Writing Systems* edited by Peter T. Daniels & William Bright. It's most expensive book I've ever purchased, but well worth it — it sets out in great detail the history and orthography of every writing systems in the world.

My bedtime reading it, ironically, the H.P. Lovecraft collection of stories *The Loved Dead*, which he wrote with a variety of other authors.

I highly recommend all these books to anyone who would enjoy such things.

--------------------
The A.E. van Vogt Information Site
My Tribute to the Greatest Writer of the Science Fiction Golden Age
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #7
Smoke and Mirrors, by Neil Gaiman. Very good (although not suitable for the young)

--------------------
Barcoorah: I even did it to a big dorset ram.

desperance.net - Don't follow this link
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Teh Dragon's Victim:

I'm trying to get through Lord of the Rings in English, but it's painful. It was so much more interesting in Finnish. I guess it's supposed to be proper english, but it seems a bit weird and I'm not used to it and it keeps distracting me. Also, I may have over-estimated my talents. Simpler stories must do.
For once, that ain't your fault, young lass. JRR Tolkien is almost universally cited as one of the most awkward rhetoricians in modern literature- in fact, the Book of Mormon is said to have a cleaner and smoother narrative.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #9
The Mystery of the Spiral Bridge by Franklin W. Dixon.

To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (we have to in English class).

Astronomy Magazine

Anything else interesting I can get my hands on.

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #10
Tree And Leaf, by Tolkien.

Sadly, I don't have much time to read, except on holidays.

(Oh yeah, and right now a Data Structures and Algorithms hand-out. I have an exam today morning. :( )

Donaldson's Thomas Covenant isn't bad, though it's been a long time... but I liked The Mirror of Her Dreams better.

Unfortunately, the translation of the first Thomas Covenant book in Finnish was a bit too... ambitious. Its language and/or style was really strange. The other books never came out.

[ Sunday, October 03, 2004 16:09: Message edited by: Milu ]
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #11
The Woman in White. I loved it.

I have been struggling for the past month or so through Infinite Jest. And if but not.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #12
I don't think I've read a book in months.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #13
I read very little nowadays, and the only books I can get myself to read through are Agatha Christie murder mysteries. Nothing else is consistently interesting enough to hold my shrunken attention span.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #14
The last twenty books or so I've read were all Stephen King. I've finished The Dark Towers I-III, and I'm currently reading Wizard and Glass. Very good.

[ Sunday, October 03, 2004 17:13: Message edited by: Jonah Zolohahni ]

--------------------
—Zxquez Zolohahni
I eat blueberries in pie square.
Xerch'de/Rate.
I miss you, but I haven't met you yet.
So special, but it hasn't happened yet.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1217
Profile Homepage #15
All Quiet on the Western Front and Huckleberry Finn.

7|-|475 \/\/|-|47 1'\/3 833|\| r34|)1|\|6.

--------------------
ALBATROSS!!!
-John Cleese
!!!Long live Monty Python!!!

Not a Chance!

Long Live The Weather Balloons!
Apprentice
Member # 4989
Profile #16
I just read Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky. Good book, although it's out side of my usual genre of reading.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Jonah Zolohahni:

The last twenty books or so I've read were all Stephen King. I've finished The Dark Towers I-III, and I'm currently reading Wizard and Glass. Very good.
Why am I not surprised. Good lord- this is the man who helped make Shawshank Redemption. Why he wastes his time with this faux-intellectual rubbish is beyond me. Oh wait, that's right- money.

--------------------
人 た ち を 燃 え る た め に 俺 は か れ ら に 火 を 上 げ る か ら 死 ん だ
Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #18
Says the man who uses 'The Great Gatsby' as a stock reference.

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Infiltrator
Member # 4784
Profile Homepage #19
Redwall by Brian Jacques to refresh my memory before I try to turn it into a scenario.

Edit: BoE scenario that is.

[ Sunday, October 03, 2004 18:04: Message edited by: Gizmo ]

--------------------
Forever Always on Past the End

tracihedlund@charter.net[/url]
TrueSite for Blades - Blades Walkthroughs
Pixle Profusion - BoE Graphics Archive
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #20
Good luck with that kind of stuff... I tried to do a Lord of the Rings scenario a year ago. Gave up, and not just for technical reasons. Book plot just don't fit into scenarios, and nor do movie scripts. It's another kind of medium.

--------------------
The Encyclopaedia Ermariana <-- Now a Wiki!
"Polaris leers down from the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey." --- HP Lovecraft.
"I single Aran out due to his nasty temperament, and his superior intellect." --- SupaNik
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #21
"Jag har sett dem", a collection of poems by Bo Carpelan. I should read more, but Vvardefell takes up a lot of my reading time.

Oh, and TM = teh bigwig.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #22
quote:
Originally written by Gizmo:

Redwall by Brian Jacques to refresh my memory before I try to turn it into a scenario.

Edit: BoE scenario that is.

You're prepared to painstakingly make or acquire all the hundreds of custom mouse, hedgehog, badger, otter, weasel, rat, and fox graphics that would be required for such a venture? If so, all power to you, I suppose.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #23
She's made some already. They're not bad.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
BANNED
Member # 4623
Profile Homepage #24
http://www.geocities.com/tracihedlund/graphics

Hope he gets the scenario(s) ready, since I never got to read chapters 4- of the Redwall.. Our library is like, sooo poor and bad. ^^

--------------------
The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]

Pages