Binge Drinking

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Binge Drinking
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #25
Uh, did I miss this before? Rosy drinks socially? And therefore likely has somewhat impaired judgment when a handsome older man is rather friendly to her at a party?

EDIT: In the interest of being remotely serious, I don't drink and don't know much about it other than it seems to make people stupid for a short period of time. I mean, I've been around it (college) but I don't really have much experience as I tend to stay away from frats and such. I have seen the devastating harm drinking can do, though, or at least some fraction of it -- you know they're too drunk when they're vomiting in the sink and not even in the toilet.

[ Tuesday, September 21, 2004 22:54: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #26
I was raised in a family where alcohol was really no big deal; Rosy's probably in the same situation. I've had a glass of wine with meals on special occasions for as long as I can remember, but I've only been seriously drunk 2 or 3 times in my life (all of them before I was 18, but I didn't buy the alcohol myself so I didn't do anything illegal). Even though all the times I've been drunk were relatively pleasant, they haven't given me any great desire to drink to excess on a regular basis.

--------------------
My BoE Page
Bandwagons are fun!
Roots
Hunted!
Agent
Member # 2210
Profile #27
The only point in getting drunk is to go bowling. :P

--------------------
Wasting your time and mine looking for a good laugh.

Star Bright, Star Light, Oh I Wish I May, I Wish Might, Wish For One Star Tonight.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #28
In such a sentence is hidden a disturbing thruth. Although I've never tried it. But that's what you have an imagination for, I'd think.

--------------------
ahhahaha i rule u droool
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #29
There is more to drinking than just getting drunk. I genuinely enjoy the taste of beer - even crappy American beer. My favorite beer right now actually is Miller High Life - the Champagne of Beers. :D This of course has more to do with the fact that beer is uber-expensive in the DC area compared to my old Kentucky home.

Anyway, a beer or two with dinner certainly doesn't approach causing a state of drunkenness; likewise, social drinking |= drinking to get drunk. Many forms of alcohol just taste nice.

Ben, don't speak to what you don't know, foo! I bet you're planning on not having sex until you're married, too. Which is probably better for all of us.
Infiltrator
Member # 4389
Profile Homepage #30
Yeah, my parents are rather less anal about alcohol compared to most peoples' over here. I think it's a lot healthier if people don't treat drinking like playing with explosives around their teenagers. Anyone with that whole "lets get [expletive deleted] uuuuup" attitude I personally find totally boring because, at least at my age, they tend to be 'being outrageous', much like declaring their bisexuality at the age of twelve. I've really never seen the attraction of being totally drunk (although I've never been drunk, and I realize there's still plenty of time). I've drunk watered down wine with my family since age about six, and once in a while stuff with my friends, but only enough to be dazzlingly tipsy. I could, for example, dance. When it was appropriate to dance. And walk straight. And look un-intoxicated.
Any type of hard substance abuse at my age tends to be a sort of hardcore posing. Something to brag about. Which then tediously evolves into habit. Thus, chronic teenage binge drinkers.

--------------------
fame fame fatal fame
it can play hideous tricks on the brain
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:

There is more to drinking than just getting drunk. I genuinely enjoy the taste of beer - even crappy American beer. My favorite beer right now actually is Miller High Life - the Champagne of Beers. :D
Why don't you just pay a wino to piss in your mouth? Tastes better and it's cheaper.

DS> "Luckily, my Scottish blood allows many drinks before getting drunk."

You know, that's not "lucky." Resistance to alcohol is a major risk factor towards alcoholism. Frankly, I'd love to be able to get at least mildly intoxicated more quickly, but as it is, coming from a strongly alcoholic French/Irish background, I can drink three or four times in an hour and not feel tipsy. It sucks, because if I ever go out drinking with my friends in the future, I'll have two choices:

1) Be sober while everyone else is drunk (not fun)
2) Drink an insanely dangerous (and expensive) amount of alcohol to get to the point my friends did after a few shots.

[ Wednesday, September 22, 2004 06:26: Message edited by: Andrea ]

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #32
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

Why don't you just pay a wino to piss in your mouth? Tastes better and it's cheaper.
1. You've tried wino piss?

2. High Life IS really cheap.

3. High Life is bottled/canned, making it more convenient to have on hand than winos.

Whatever, dude. Tastes vary. If I find the taste of High Life comparable to (and frequently better than) more expensive beers, I'll drink High Life, and save the difference for other things I like.

Why don't you eat hamburgers? Taste better than veggie burgers and they're cheaper.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #33
Hey, I'm not criticizing High Life. It makes an excellent industrial cleaner, and it's better than PBR.

And some winos will pee on you for free.

--------------------
I've got a pyg in a poke.
Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #34
Who needs alcohol? Computer games are more fun.
Warrior
Member # 4973
Profile #35
I agree. Besides, computer games are more addicting. And they don't give you hangovers. :D

--------------------
There are three kinds of people in the world: those who think, those who think they think, and those who would rather die than think.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Thursday, September 16 2004 07:00
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #36
Too much of anything can have negative/unanticipated consequences. Excessive computer gaming can lead to an anti-social, sedentary lifestyle that has negative consequences for your health as well as your professional and social life, not to mention your academic life!

[ Wednesday, September 22, 2004 09:54: Message edited by: Andrew Miller ]
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #37
I don't like terrible European lagers like Heineken and Grolsch. I will drink them but I have no desire to drink very much, so I stick to them if I don't want to get drunk. English lagers like Carling are piss. Budweiser, Miller and all their variants aren't ever worth it.

That's not to say I dislike beer. There are plenty of bitters I like and I'm very fond of real ale.

I rather like wine, although I don't consume much. The occasional glass at family meals, that kind of thing.

Alcopops are to be avoided, since the taste of the alcohol is hidden. I don't like sugary drinks and I can't tell how much alcohol is entering my system. So I avoid them all round. Stick to vodka and diet lemonade or just straight vodka instead.

I've never heard of anything like David's Slovakian drink, although I did once have a mixture of coke and red wine which is allegedly a Serbo-Croat specialty. Treat it like a better-tasting cider, that's my advice.

--------------------
Voice of Reasonable Morality
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #38
Recently, I've developed a rather expensive taste for calvados.

As for beers, I can't abide lager. I fail to see the point of beers with an alochol level of 2%. Wine's really more my drink, as long as its good, red and French.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #39
I'm in my third year of college and have never gotten drunk, although not out of any aversion toward the prospect. I was brought up in a household that never contained even a drop of alcohol intended for consumption, so I've been vastly underexposed to the different varieties and such. I've only ever tasted beer (a total of maybe three bottles), white wine (a sip), and vodka (two sips). I disliked all three, although the beer and the wine were moderately tolerable. The vodka was almost certainly the most disgusting thing I've ever tasted. My first beer drinking experience was with a bottle of Heineken that I had to struggle to finish. Subsequently, I've had bottles of Corona that were much more drinkable and even pleasant with food.

Although I'm not antisocial, the majority of friends I've made, in high school as well as in college, haven't been the partying type at all. I'm much more comfortable with a small group hangout, but I'm fairly eager to give parties a shot.

And that shot might be coming pretty soon. I've been planning an alcohol tasting party with a friend of mine here, a party intended to allow those with very limited exposure to the different varieties of beverages and mixed drinks a chance to really give a bunch of different things a try. I'll probably end up liking the sugary chick drinks the best, as I can't stand to drink anything that's the slightest bit bitter.

My tolerance to drugs of any sort is extremely low, which is certainly useful at times. Two tylenols is always enough to take care of any headache or fever I might have, and a bottle of coke will keep me up many hours into the night if need be. The one shot of vodka I had was enough to make me a bit unsteady on my feet. I have a feeling I'll lose sensation to my tongue long before I get done with tasting all the drinks this weekend.

Hookahs have already succeeded in deflowering my once-virgin lungs this year, and I look forward to breaking new ground in a different direction over the weekend.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #40
Okay. I think now's the time for a MOD to delete this topic!

- Archmagi Micael

"You have my permission, knaves, to delete this topic." :D

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Exile?" - Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Proof of Richard Black's existance:
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #41
Uh, Micael, one would think you've been around long enough to know that mods only delete topics when some incredibly grievous violation of the CoC has occurred, and usually not even then -- usually they just edit the posts as necessary.

One would think so, but one would apparently be wrong.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #42
Ferrets chew at your woefully inadequate dong, Micael.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #43
quote:
Originally written by Archmagi Micael:

Okay. I think now's the time for a MOD to delete this topic!

- Archmagi Micael

"You have my permission, knaves, to delete this topic." :D

Someone needs to teach you that the thread's originator does not own the thread. Information wants to be free.

I would be less irritated if this weren't the third time you shouted 'Mods! Mods!! Delete this topic, I don't want it any more'.

Please be less militantly ignorant of usual conduct on the boards. kthxbye

PS. By all indications, I am very resistant to medication. I am forced to regularly dose myself with an albuterol inhaler at a dosage which would give a lesser man a minor OD, no painkiller works well for me (although thankfully anaesthetics work as they're supposed to), I have a personal disdain for antibiotics and require three or four pseudoephedrines to put a dent in a congestion problem. I only bust out benadryl if I've had oral exposure to peanuts, in which case I chew one and swish it around (for the record: the taste of unencapsulated benadryl is to anything else I can describe as being suckerpunched is to being shot twice in the gut and left for dead, so this is not stuff to screw with lightly), then chase it with one or two encapsulated and swallowed, a vaporizer dosage of albuterol in saline suspension (high proportion, I'd have to look it up), and if all that doesn't do what ails me, an epi-pen.

Ever seen 'Pulp Fiction'? Nothing like that. Epi-pen goes to thigh, seal gets broken forcibly (I forget the exact mechanics), and a thick-gauge needle shoots into a major vein and forcibly injects enough adrenaline to give a dead man the shivers for half a day into the cardiovascular system.

Epi-pen use is easily the least pleasant thing I can think of, but as a general rule, when you need it, the pain and the electric rush are meaningless. More meaningful are the swelling, the itching, and the panic. Oh, and in my case, the fact that any situation which requires an EP involves puking for the fifth or sixth time in my life (I have an iron esophagus), and thereby exposing my throat, nose, and mouth to both hydrochloric acid and peanut oil.

The after-effects involve every major vein in your body being on fire -- after each of the two or three times I've been forced to resort to adrenaline, as well as each of the one or two times I've managed to overdose on albuterol or similar, my neck and legs feel as if they are going to explode from the pressure, and I can feel your heartbeat anywhere on my person.

I am probably the only person among my peers that can put a definite finger on the emotions and physical conditions associated with death. Not extreme discomfort, but symptoms which are not painful but strangling and abjectly terrifying, and inevitably fatal barring chemical intervention.

Might be an issue of acclimatization, I dunno.

[ Wednesday, September 22, 2004 12:09: Message edited by: Fear Uncertainty and Custer ]

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
By Committee
Member # 4233
Profile #44
Sure, Alec, but can you hold your liquor? ;)
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #45
Eh. Bets are on yes. :P

--------------------
The biggest, the baddest, and the fattest.
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #46
quote:
Originally written by Andrea:

You know, that's not "lucky." Resistance to alcohol is a major risk factor towards alcoholism.
Perhaps. Yet, while I tend to drink more than the "average" person, I also tend to be more responsible than the "average" person. When I drink, on normal circumstances, I drink to have fun (for the buzz), not to get completely wasted. I think my high school and college days of getting flat out DRNuK are over.

So here's to my lack of alcoholism! *chug*

[ Wednesday, September 22, 2004 14:58: Message edited by: -DemonslayeR- ]

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #47
quote:
Originally written by -DemonslayeR-:
quote:
Originally written by burglar ben:
It's kills you level of enjoyment

Not considering the bad grammar, this statement is true if you read the rest of the sentence. Otherwise, I do understand that the grammar was bad.

quote:
Originally written by Andrew Miller:
Ben, don't speak to what you don't know, foo! I bet you're planning on not having sex until you're married, too. Which is probably better for all of us.
Of course. Why would you? (don't answer)

As for alchohol, there's no point. It messes up your life, makes you look like a gang member, and makes sensible people not want to respect you. A casual drink every once in a while would be excused, but getting drunk is not good (or anywhere near drunk, for that matter). Enough said. ;)

--------------------
-ben4808

For those who love to spam:
CSM Forums
RIFQ
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #48
YEAH WINE !!!!

WOOOOO!!!

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Guardian
Member # 2238
Profile Homepage #49
ben, that's assuming belonging to a gang is a bad thing. Which, it most cases, it's not. I'm in a gang. I don't do bad stuff. Neither do any of the other members. Actually, we helped the neighborhood in our younger years, now we talk to kids about doing the same thing. It's about the fellowship. You shouldn't stereotype the term "gang" to mean "a band of misanthropes".

--------------------
The critics agree!

Demonslayer is "a five star hit!" raves TIMES Weekly!

"I've never heard such thoughtful comments. This man is a genious!" says two-time Nobel Prize winning physicist Erwin Rasputin!
Posts: 1582 | Registered: Wednesday, November 13 2002 08:00

Pages