What Do You Think Spiderweb Software???

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What Do You Think Spiderweb Software???
Apprentice
Member # 4417
Profile Homepage #0
Spiderweb has made some great games, I have enjoyed them for days, weeks, and months (Although i have no money so i just played the demos) the time has come, i think, for me to voice this idea. What do you fellow gamers, and you the folks at spiderweb software, think of Avernum Online? I could die a happy human being if this game were produced in my lifetime, thank you for the great games spiderweb.

~Regar Talonblade~
aka Adam
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #1
I say just two things:
1. Welcome to the boards, be productive.
2. Prepare for flaming, the Avernum Online Issue has been brought up so many times that people have lost their tollerance, but its not your fault! Know that...

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #2
Your dreams will unfortunately be shattered, Regar. It just won't happen.

--------------------
"It won't do any good, Garion. I had you once, and I can take you again any time I want to. You're not strong enough to refuse me." - Asharak the murgo (Pawn of Prophecy, by Eddings)

My Homepage - Geneforge - My Elfwood Gallery - WannabeCool Forums
So many strange ones around. Don't you think?
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #3
Yes, and that too.
But don't turn in to a one post newbie, right?

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Agent
Member # 1104
Profile Homepage #4
Avernum Online issues repeated:

1. Servers are not powerful enough.
2. More hackers.
3. Servers are not powerful enough.
4. Mass havoc.
5. Servers cannot handle 37 pages of topics; they are not powerful enough.
6. $$$ issue
7. The servers will constantly shut down...I'll give you three gueses as to why.

I'm done, anyways, welcome to SpiderWeb and if needing to, use the search button. ;)

--------------------
Chance Forums
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #5
I don't think any SpidWeb games will ever go internet. Be happy with what they already have.

Oh yeah, welcome to the boards!

--------------------
Espresso hasn't been invented yet. That stinks.

Xian Skull-
Avernum 3
Warrior
Member # 4414
Profile Homepage #6
Spiderweb is awesome. And why would you want Online Avernum? Wouldn't you rather be the toughest character/party in the world, rather than slaving away to get up to level 70 and then getting killed by some level 5789 player with a screen name like "boobsrkool"? Isn't that the story of just about every online RPG?

--------------------
AIM: Cavanoskus

My Homepage
The Wildlife Research Team
SnakeNetMetalRadio

"We, who are about to die, salute you."
Apprentice
Member # 4417
Profile Homepage #7
NO! I will not accept that there will never be an avernum online. Before i played avernum i could never have imagined that a game that incredible could exist. Servers will get more advanced, computers will get more powerful, code will get more efficient, and avernum players will get more curious as to how their party making skills match up to others. I have no intention of letting this become a dead or abandoned idea, nobody can make me believe, or even make me consider, that avernum will never go online. I do not plan on becoming a one post noob, i have important questions, i need important answers, and i will try to get my friends to play avernum. In online games the chalenge is that there is always someone better, just like in real life... i love a game that challenges me at every turn, and avernum does that on a daily basis. If anyone out there is of like mind, if anyone at all agrees with me, please let me know.... thank you for taking time to read this, it is very important to me

~Regar Talonblade~
aka Adam
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #8
Well... It may come some day, but expect it too be far away in the future.
I sugest that you don't center your existence on these boards only on Avernum Online though, that may lead to bad consequences...
But getting your friends to play Avernum and other SW games is a good idea! Each new buyer gets you closer to your dream.

[ Saturday, May 22, 2004 14:35: Message edited by: Black Griffon aka. StD ]

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #9
I think "Everquest" is about as good as you can get to an "Avernum Online".

and I agree with Cavanoskus. I'd hate to start out as a level 1 and then some level 5400 with a name of lickmyboobs comes up out of nowhere and kills me for no reason.

--------------------

Xian Skull-
Avernum 3
Apprentice
Member # 4417
Profile Homepage #10
One step closer for everyone i get to play avernum.... well, i can try.
Im very happy at the moment, as long as there's a chance i wont give up.
i dont plan on centering my life on avernum online, just placing a bit of myself in these posts to help others to understand me and to help me understand myself.

Thank you for hope

~Regar Talonblade~
aka Adam
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #11
welcome. By the way, when I first came here I started a topic about Exile online myself...

Wonder if that means anything...
:D :D :D

--------------------

Xian Skull-
Avernum 3
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #12
I think it would be more that we would be playing with our level 70 characters and Imban would come around with a level 2 character and obliterate us. Either way, there is already an Exile Online site if you are really interested in it.

Btw, slasher, it means Spidweb has taken your Exile soul and created a new Avernum one out of it.

[ Saturday, May 22, 2004 16:00: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #13
I can just see all those seasoned Boarders out there, who have time and time again b1tch-slapped every hooligan who's thought they've single handedly come up with the brilliant idea of Avernum Online (how super cool!!1!), and started their own little conquest to get it to happen, thinking "sigh, I'm not even going to bother this time".

Seriously, there needs to be some sort of FRICKING HUGE LIST of reasons compiled as to why "Avernum" Online (and I use inverted commas in a sneering, sarcastic manner, cause it'd be EXILE Online, if anything), will never happen, PERIOD.

Give up, and go devote your life to something useful - like floor buffing.

Md.

Edit: Damn! A seasoned Boarder got in just before me! And he's being nice too! Well, there goes my argument...

[ Saturday, May 22, 2004 16:11: Message edited by: Majordomo ]
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #14
It seems I was wrong. Exile Online has been replaced with an insurance site. This is probably the same fate Avernum Online can expect. :rolleyes:

Interestingly enough I did find this.

[ Saturday, May 22, 2004 16:11: Message edited by: Lt. Sullust ]

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #15
What did you find? :D

Md.

Edit: Ooo Ooo Ooo! LOVE the theme song! Yeah! Get down and funkay!

That was b1tchen (still can't believe it filters b1tch out - hmph). Perhaps they'll use it as the theme song for Avernum Online? How smashing!

[ Saturday, May 22, 2004 16:15: Message edited by: Majordomo ]
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #16
quote:
Originally written by Lt. Sullust:

Btw, slasher, it means Spidweb has taken your Exile soul and created a new Avernum one out of it.
Cool, 3-D souls. :D
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #17
ALEXANDER CHARLES KYRAS IS COCK OF THE WALK

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
Misogynism is the wave of the future,
but it sure pisses the womenfolk off.

Shocking, isn't it?
Apprentice
Member # 4323
Profile #18
I'm guessing this topic has been discussed to death already by some earlier posts but I still felt adding my two cents:

Like many I was thinking this game would be awesome to play online but I knew it was it would be difficult due to some of the issues mentioned already. I'd love exile online too but consider the following:

I think exile or avernum online would be possible if someone devoted the resources for it and had paid subcribers. Thing is, would people be willing or able to pay a subscription fee each month to play a exile/avernum
online?

There is an ultima online and to me ultima and BOE are almost the same thing.
Ultima charges I think $12 a month to play ,however hinting probably at the efforts it takes to maintain such a game. Thats' over $100 a year just to play their game and if you go on holidays or are too busy for playing a game, I can just imagine your game "meter" running.

Other possible options?:
Turn it into a pure rpg game like furcadia.
Apparently a game like this can be put up for free because Furcadia is free.
It would be a greatly simplified version but it can apparently work...

Make exile/avernum into a multiple player game by hooking different computers up together . I think this too would be possible because other games seem to work this out, though for my sake I don't know anyone IRL who'd play with me.

This is my most far out suggestion but it would be fun if possible.

Make exile/avernum a limited multiple player online game. That is only 2-4 players could connect to a game and play together with their parties.
Say theres' a site that allows you to post your game online and then invite 1-3 other parties onto the game with you.

--------------------
Shamelessly advertising my own game: Escapades in the green mountains.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #19
Jeff Vogel has already given the reasons in an interview that I can no longer locate. Basically, it would be a risky venture. Online games are expensive, and with a small player base and no resources with which to compete with the big boys (like the ever popular and ever awful Everquest), there's just no chance.

As long as Spiderweb hauls in decent profits from making single player RPGs, that's what it will likely stick with.

—Alorael, who doesn't think the cheap shareware niche really has a place for a pay-per-month MMORPG. The price is high whether you've got many people playing or only a few, and broke Spiderweb customers aren't the most likely candidates for a game that has a regular fee attached.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 760
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Regar:

NO! I will not accept that there will never be an avernum online.
Accept it, there won't be Avernum Online
And if you don't accept it, you shall be destroyed :P

--------------------
"The Darkness Shall Return!"
Apprentice
Member # 4334
Profile Homepage #21
Iève always thought of that though it may not be possible it just be interesting, oh and you know wht would be better have 2 parties fight each other see whos better!

--------------------
Its like a jigsaw puzzle with all the wrong peices...
Apprentice
Member # 4334
Profile Homepage #22
Iève always thought of that though it may not be possible it just be interesting, oh and you know wht would be better have 2 parties fight each other see whos better!

--------------------
Its like a jigsaw puzzle with all the wrong peices...
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #23
Erm, turn-based games don't go online terribly well, I would think. You'd really have to convert Avernum into the Geneforge engine even more than it already was (for BoA) in order to make an Avernum Online function at all. And SW games have NEVER had combats in realtime. I think that would lose the point.

Oh, and also: Jeff said in his Gamesome Mac interview (April 5th) (among other places -- I just like this interview because it says a lot about Jeff and Spiderweb) that this would never happen.

[ Sunday, May 23, 2004 11:23: Message edited by: Kelandon ]

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM, newly updated to v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #24
quote:
Originally written by Forum Royalty:

Jeff Vogel has already given the reasons in an interview that I can no longer locate. Basically, it would be a risky venture. Online games are expensive,
Well, MMORPGs are expensive. A Diablo-style netplay (non-Bnet) feature wouldn't require SW to spend any money. It's still a dumb idea.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.

Pages