What Do You Think Spiderweb Software???

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: What Do You Think Spiderweb Software???
Warrior
Member # 1856
Profile Homepage #25
one wonders, why not make it a game capable of being played on a LAN? Just round up your friends grab a switch and have insane fun! Wait, your friend lives on the otherside of the world? easy! use VPN or virtual private networking! Comwe on people! Cant anyone remember the days of starcraft, and the null modem cable?

--------------------
Please visit the RP Paridise. rgf-network!

The chance of someone looking at you is directly proportonal to the stupidity of your act.

The idea is not to give your life for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #26
You know, come to think of it, it would not be impossible to make a Geneforge-style game multi-player (although making it MMORPG would be still another hurdle). Because it runs in realtime, and because turn-based multi-player combat DOES work, even though turn-based MMORPG antyhing doesn't, GF could do it. Avernum couldn't, but GF could.

Jeff still probably doesn't have the technical skills for it, by his own admission, and I'm not sure that it's a good use of his time (I'd rather he continue making huge, immersive-world games), but it would be possible.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4349
Profile #27
Never say never.

It may be as simple as someone coming up with a hosting service for those who provide some content, or even another developer making the game and licensing with Spiderweb. Look at all the mods made for some games, and it's easy to see some people doing an online Avernum possibly.

Options include the MMORPG route with big changes, or Baldur's Gate-type multiplayer.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #28
The only reason I would say NEVER is Jeff's personality. He is rather hesitant to license anything. By which I mean he refuses to do it under nearly any circumstances. Oldbies in the Blades community have fun stories about this, stories that I would butcher because they're about fourth-hand coming from me.

But there is also the issue of the engine, which I raised in my last post. Avernum would have to shift further into the GF engine in order for this to work.

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #29
I think every time this topic has been brought up before, what shuts people up is the money issue. Frankly, there's a good, sound reason no indie developers ever make successful MMORPGs -- it's because indie developers can't afford to run them without charging an arm and a leg to use them, and no one is going to buy from an indie developer if the product is that expensive.

What's more, with the kind of buggy POSes other Spidweb products have been allowed to remain (ex. BoE), I'd be frankly amazed if any such product didn't require anyone who used it to format their HDs once every two weeks. You don't just tool around with online products the way you tool around with offline ones; it's very dangerous if you know what you're doing, and Vogel's various answers boil down to a proud way of saying that he doesn't.

EDIT: Jeff Vogel doesn't do licensing. Trust me on this one: he can do it himself, sell it himself, and falsely advertise it himself (ask Alcritas about 'mail' or 'frau' when you next talk to him), or he can have you do it, sell it for you, and steal your soul for use in an a mighty, evil forge. (The next time you see Radiant, note his empty eyes, greenish skin, and continual attempts to eat your brain.) But he won't do a mix of the two, nor will he ever allow you to touch his code. I'd be willing to wager that he'd void himself if anyone ever released a modified version of the BoA editor officially.

[ Monday, May 31, 2004 09:24: Message edited by: CUSTER FOLGT DER MASCHINE ]

--------------------
AnamaFreak (3:59:56 AM): Shounen-ai to the MAX
...there really is nothing that can compare to hot gay sex with a mythological icon.
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #30
quote:
I'd be willing to wager that he'd void himself if anyone ever released a modified version of the BoA editor officially.
I'm almost tempted to learn C just to see this happen. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

--------------------

Rate my scenarios!
High Level Party Maker
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #31
A Baldurs' Gate style-multiplayer game could be interesting. BG Multiplayer just connects directly with the other players (i.e. no server) which makes it vaugely possible.

--------------------
Blades of Avernum Script Archive - Submit your script now!
Apprentice
Member # 4062
Profile #32
I would think "IF" Avernum/exiles online was made, not saying it can or will be but...

I just think it would have to work somewhat like follows. Everyone controls one character, not a party. They can of course join up with others, but only within a certain level restriction.

A psuedo realtime system would be needed. With an autoretaliatory melee system, not unlike Tomenet if youve ever played. Wed need some macros to make spellcasting easier, along with item use.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #33
A MUD might also be doable within server limitations.

Actually, there was a third-party Exile-based MUD once. So far as I know, it died for lack of interest.

--------------------
I'd be tender, I'd be gentle
And awful sentimental
Regarding love and art
I'd be friends with the sparrows
And the boy who shoots the arrows,
If I only had a heart.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #34
A MUD still requires someone to pay for a server, time spent coding, and constant support for the inevitable bugs produced. How many people are willing to pay, how much, and for how long?

?Alorael, who doesn't think a MUD is the answer. Besides, that would lose the Exile/Avernum feel, and the world alone isn't really all that impressive. Aside from the cave system, which isn't really that common an element, Ermarian screams generic fantasy.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 4482
Profile #35
Sup
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #36
Eh? :confused:

— Arancaytar, who will risk sniping in order to not make this a one-word post.

[ Monday, June 07, 2004 08:25: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)

Pages