I need the strength of numbers, please help.

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: I need the strength of numbers, please help.
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #0
I have an unusual request for you fellow spiderwebbers, but i need your help. I live in australia and i have found it increasingly difficult to order the game i have finally slaved to save for.

From the topic "Ordering chrisis and paranoid parents" i took your suggestions to use an international mail order. Unfortunately the mail order must be sent directly to a bank account, of which spidweb does not provide. Credit card is my last option, so the decision lies with my parents.

If you, satisfied customers could give your word that spidweb is a reliable trustworthy company i would much appreciate it. I fear it may be the only way to tide my parents over. They have the right credit card, but they aren't sure wether spidweb is trustworthy.

What i ask of you is a post, telling of your positive experiences with ordering from spiderweb software. If you're an aussie or overseas this is even better so please mention that if you can. My parents are very tentative over international transactions.

You might call this a petition if you like, but your testimonials are my last chance to finally buy the games i love. I ask for your help, and the more responses the better. Thank you.

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III
Warrior
Member # 3621
Profile #1
I am 32, have bought games two years ago. No problem.
Live in France, Paris, works as consultant.
Really have no fear (except that there are better things to do than playing games on a computer...).
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #2
I'm 17, live in Greater London, England. My parents had similar problems to yours with Internet buying. I persuaded them that the risk was practically nonexistant, but their sticking point was that if anything should happen, they could have been completely bankrupted.

Solution: we got a 'secondary' credit card with the absolute minimum credit limit (£200). If someone does somehow get hold of the number, we don't suddenly have to sell our house, but we can buy most stuff on it. Not that anyone has, and we've bought a couple Spidweb games as well as various other things from other sources.

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Post Navel Trauma ^_^
Member # 67
Profile Homepage #3
I live in the UK and paid for BoE by credit card. No problems.

I've also bought other things online with a credit card, and never had any problems there either.

--------------------
Grammar wenches beware:
This is the house that the malt that the rat that the cat that the dog that the cow that the maiden that the man that the priest that the cock that the farmer kept waked married kissed milked tossed worried killed ate lay in.

My Website
BoA BetterEditor for MacOS X
desperance.net - Leave your sanity at the door
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #4
I live in Finland. We've ordered all Jeff Vogel's games with credit card. No problems.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #5
I've never encountered any problems with ordering via credit card. The chances of your number being intercepted by hackers are mind-numbingly small.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #6
I've ordered every major SW game online using a credit card and had no problems. I'm from inside the US, but still. As far as I can tell, SW has good security on its website, and all major credit cards have surprisingly good fraud prevention systems.

--------------------
Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!! (The home of BoA's HLPM v1.1!)

Rate my scenarios!
Northern Kingdom 0: Prologue
High Level Party Maker
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #7
I got Avernum and Nethergate by credit card and nothing happened, I think... Your parents shouldn't worry, and if anything goes wrong the know who to blame... IMAGE(biggrin0.gif) IMAGE(tongue00.gif) IMAGE(biggrin0.gif) (Just poking fun.) Seriously, it's far likelier that nothing untoward will happen.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate except for the fact that they refer to my clone.
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #8
Snail Mail, UK, BoE. No problem.

--------------------
Blades of Avernum Script Archive - Submit your script now!
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #9
I also live in Finland and have ordered all of the current SW games on PC via credit card.

--------------------
- The Great Mister

kommari@gmail.com[/url]
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #10
I've also ordered many times by credit card and had no trouble whatsoever. I've never heard anyone complain of problems. Spiderweb is a real company with real paperwork filed to prove it. Even if something did happen, Jeff couldn't just disappear with your money.

?Alorael, who also thinks an email to Jeff might get the information needed to buy games with a money order. He wants to make money, and he'd probably be more than happy to help you give it to him.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 3719
Profile Homepage #11
I've purchases three from Spiderweb. One online with a credit card, and two with a check. I'm also within the US, but a good reference is a good reference IMAGE(smile000.gif)

--------------------
Scandalous Stories, fishing,and great photos
Shaper
Member # 73
Profile #12
I've ordered four games from Spiderweb Software, and I've had no problems at all with them. They were very helpful.

--------------------
My BoE graphics archive is finally getting started! Yay! I hope you like my graphics.My BoE Graphics
An absurdly fun Flash game- Refridgerator Raid!
---------
The Lyceum- A board for BoE. Yes it is. Really. Stop staring at me! Stop it, I say! Oh, sorry...
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #13
Five games, all by credit card from the UK. Great service and turnaround aswell.

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #14
I'm from the US and I've ordered online from Spiderweb. Last I've checked, nobody is using our card no. That was last summer for BoE. I'm waiting for the Win version to get out when I order BoA

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ignignok
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #15
I ordered A2 and A3 online with a credit card, and everything was fine.

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #16
I ordered BoA and Avernum 3 by card, absolutely no trouble! IMAGE(wink0000.gif)
Spiderweb has been doing game developing for many years now; I would be surprised if a fraud didn't surface in such a small and social company like this, so your parents need not worry! IMAGE(smile000.gif)

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #17
Although I do live in the U.S., I ordered Geneforge, GF2, Nethergate, A3, and BoA using a credit card. No problems whatsoever, just like everyone else.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Infiltrator
Member # 2628
Profile Homepage #18
I checked the Australia Post website on international money orders.
quote:
Western Union international money orders must be paid into a bank account and will be subject to clearance just like a cheque. The payee must have a local bank account in the destination country, so this product is generally unsuited to making payments to people travelling overseas.
Now this is only my interpretation, but I don't think that means that money orders must be made out to the bank account. I think all it means is that the order can't be cashed at the post office, it has to go through a bank account to be cashed. Like a cheque, you make it out to the name of the company. The company then deposits the money order into a bank account in the company name. Spiderweb's website will give the name you should make the order out to. It's been a few years since I used an international money order, but it worked fine for me that way.

I've used my credit card to purchase all of Spiderweb's games. Never had any problems with using my card online, it's no riskier than using it in a shop (ALWAYS keep your eye on your credit card when you give it to a shop assistant in a store - sometimes unscrupulous shop assistants steal credit card numbers.)

[ Friday, April 23, 2004 17:17: Message edited by: Kyna ]

--------------------
We meet and part now over all the world;
we, the lost company,
take hands together in the night, forget
the night in our brief happiness, silently.
-- Judith Wright

My website
Posts: 512 | Registered: Wednesday, February 12 2003 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #19
I am from the U.S., but I have ordered online from Spiderweb using a credit card, and have had no problems (unless you count the lack of more money to buy more games IMAGE(biggrin0.gif) )

Kyna is quite right about unscrupulous shop workers. That's probably a far greater risk to one's credit than internet buying.

[ Friday, April 23, 2004 19:23: Message edited by: dareva ]
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #20
Australia, BOE ordered by credit card no problems.

However,
A couple of months ago I sent an email to Spiderweb asking if they accepted western union money orders and they replied with no. Has anyone else had problems using western union.

[ Friday, April 23, 2004 19:48: Message edited by: Milla ]

--------------------
"Heads don't roll, they bounce!"

Want to find out how nasty you really are? visit:www.thespark.com now!

Also look at my site here
This is also a good site
Warrior
Member # 720
Profile #21
United States; 4 games; debit/creditcard.

--------------------
-Daravon
La Canaliste
DELETED
Member # 21
Profile #22
I've ordered 6 games from Spidweb by credit card, and never had a problem.
I live in the UK, and am a parent of teenaged sons, and am respectably employed at the University of Exeter. (Does that sound like a decent reference for you?)

--------------------
KazeArctica: Oh yes.
KazeArctica: Oh YES
Warrior
Member # 250
Profile #23
Let me see, I've bought 6 games from spiderweb software and never had any trouble. In fact when I've gotten new computers and forget to move the prefence files over to the new computer, I could even ask for another resigtation code free of charge if I gave proof of my ealier propuses. So I would say that spiderweb software can be trusted.
Warrior
Member # 3804
Profile #24
Thanks everyone for helping me out here, but it's no use. I asked them and showed it to them yesterday and they still don't trust it. I doubt that they even aknowledge it. Sorry for wasting your time IMAGE(frown000.gif)

Originally written by Kyna:
quote:
Now this is only my interpretation, but I don't think that means that money orders must be made out to the bank account. I think all it means is that the order can't be cashed at the post office, it has to go through a bank account to be cashed. Like a cheque, you make it out to the name of the company. The company then deposits the money order into a bank account in the company name. Spiderweb's website will give the name you should make the order out to. It's been a few years since I used an international money order, but it worked fine for me that way.
Oh maybe i did misinterpret it, but then by what Milla said:

quote:
However,
A couple of months ago I sent an email to Spiderweb asking if they accepted western union money orders and they replied with no. Has anyone else had problems using western union.
it probably eliminates that possibility. I think i might e mail spidweb about it.

[ Saturday, April 24, 2004 14:26: Message edited by: The Red Book ]

--------------------
"This......is a TREE! What's it for?" -Exile III

Pages