Turns out....

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Turns out....
Apprentice
Member # 4266
Profile #0
Well I have finally returned after a couple years of recluse. For the older members, I was Paterick and The Great Warrior. Just a little bit dissappointed that Misc. isn't back up, but what can a person do...

I have a question for everyone.
Have any of you read The Dark Tower series by Stephen King? I have and I'm on the 4th book already and I really think that those of you who like to read, check these books out. I can't put them down. If you like the LOTR, then you'll defiantly like this series. Anyway...its nice to see all of you again and I promise not to be a pain in the arse IMAGE(frown000.gif)
Shock Trooper
Member # 2123
Profile #1
Good to have to back. You may not know me but I have seen you post way back befor I decided to join the forms.

--------------------
With his last breath he took in more power then any Guardian could hold, then with a scream of pain and furry he unleashed it all to form a barrier betwen the Mantia and the Darkness.
Master
Member # 1046
Profile Homepage #2
they said you died... welcome back anyway. :/

--------------------
Urban wisdom is not actual wisdom. It's more like the seemingly philosophical statements that sometimes leak out of my strange mind through my mouth, or in the case of message boards, my hands.
--------------------
Clan Xeon - Warcraft III clan
Polaris - Weather Balloons YAY
Undead Theories - Don't Ask, Don't Tell
Agent
Member # 464
Profile #3
Welcome back.
Ah, the Dark Tower series. I'll be reading that after I finish with the thick It, which I read in between whatever we have to read for English. Wolves of the Calla is incredibly thick, beats Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

--------------------
You go girl!
All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a philosopher. - Ambrose Bierce
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
The posse proudly marches on!

?Alorael, who welcomes Paterick back dead or alive. Spiderweb does not tolerate vivist discrimination.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #5
Wasn't he banned? IMAGE(tongue00.gif)
Apprentice
Member # 4266
Profile #6
I can't wait to read it and thanks everybody..I guess...
Alorael, there is no more posse...I have seperated from ADoS and JF. Well mostly ADoS. I talk to JF occasionly.

Yes i was banned...
Guardian
Member # 2339
Profile #7
quote:
Originally written by Je Suis Wise Man:

they said you died... welcome back anyway. :/
How could dying stop you from using the internet?
It didn't stop me.

Well, I didn't die. But that didn't stop me from using the internet.

Anyway...
Welcome back Paterick!

--------------------
Entertaining songs !Click here to get to the misc. boards!
Attack, icons, attack!THIS PAGE ROCKS!!
Vicious virus stalks the web, has already infected over 200 computers: read more!
"AH-CHOO!"
-George Washington
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #8
Hey there, strange oldieness-claiming person.

The Dark Tower series is one of the best series I've personelly ever read. Sadly, it's getting worser for every book. Wolves of the Calla is indeed mightily thick, and I'd say 3/4 are "empty pages", if you get my meaning.

Wake up, King, don't dig too deep. 'Twas the uncertainty and the subtle hints about the surrounding world that made/makes the Dark Tower rock.

[ Thursday, April 15, 2004 19:16: Message edited by: Seaweed ]
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #9
Welcome back! I dunno who you are, but welcome back nevertheless!

And did you know King is slowly getting blind (look at his glasses man! :rolleyes: ), he is a good writer though IMAGE(wink0000.gif)

--------------------
For Ancelot
the ancient cross of war
for the holy town of gods
Gloria, gloria perpetua
in this dawn of victory

The one and only StD!

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #10
Welcome back y'boyo! How've you been doing?

--------------------
I like to say quack because I can, I like to say moooo because I can, but I don't like saying ergle flmp because I can never pronounce phenomenon first try.

In conclusion, quack, moooo and phenonemenonmenonnon... Oh Poo.

http://s4.invisionfree.com/Ultimate_RP/index.php Try it!
Infiltrator
Member # 154
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Undine:

Welcome back.
Ah, the Dark Tower series. I'll be reading that after I finish with the thick It, which I read in between whatever we have to read for English. Wolves of the Calla is incredibly thick, beats Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.

I read Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix in 1 1/4 days. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

And LOTR bores me to death. I don't see what's so good about it.

--------------------
Blades of Avernum Script Archive - Submit your script now!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #12
LotR has unmatched depth of background for the world it is set in. No other author creates languages just for his world! Other than that, it was also a first in fantasy. Yes, now every half-baked bad fantasy author and his brother write books that unabashedly plagiarize from Tolkien's works, but at the time he was writing new stuff.

?Alorael, who would say that if anyone deserves the title of father of modern mass market fantasy (good and bad, lots and lots of bad), it's Tolkien.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #13
There are another 2 or 3 in the series after the Wolves of the Calla. Can't wait!!! If you like those then try Eye of the Dragon, another one of his fantasy books... Fantastic!

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #14
So true, Alorael, and not just books. Plenty of WC3 characters are copied from Tolkien, and it's certainly not the only fantasy game like that. Oh well. I just wish everyone would make better use of it.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Infiltrator
Member # 2104
Profile Homepage #15
The Eyes of the Dragon was cool. I haven't read the Dark Tower series, but I think I might start reading it after I finish Tommyknockers.

Oh, and It was hell to read; between schoolwork and sleeping, it took me about half a year to read it.

--Jonnie Zahndi Zolohahni
I've read about 18-20 King books so far. Yey.

--------------------
—Jonah Zahndi Zolohahni
Yey, I'm not (as) stupid and ignorant anymore.
Jonnie's Domain.
JDF — Jonnie's Domain Forums.
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #16
Eye of the Dragon is a strange book, in a good way. It is a traditional fantasy novel, or even more accurately, a traditional kind of storytelling. A beginning that describes the world, some adventuring, and an end that solves everything. It doesn't even try to be something more than that. Reading it was a relaxing experience.
Shock Trooper
Member # 18
Profile Homepage #17
Welcome back. I'm also cheesed about the Misc Board thing, but I guess I virtually never posted there anyway. It just means most of the topics in General have slightly more frayed edges.

Don't have time for reading at the moment, although, I have been studying the works of Chaucer.

Md.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #18
quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

No other author creates languages just for his world!
No other author creates a world just for his languages, rather.

quote:
Originally written by Alorael:

—Alorael, who would say that if anyone deserves the title of father of modern mass market fantasy (good and bad, lots and lots of bad), it's Tolkien.
People claim that that's a non-original standpoint because thousands have it. However, in the now 3 years since I read it, I never came across someone sharing that point of view. IMAGE(wink0000.gif)

You'll notice a definite shift in the fantasy written before Tolkien (basically, only children's fairy-tales, like the Narnia Chronicles) and that written after him. Even if the setting is completely different, the basic plot-twists and motives can be found everywhere if you look for it. IMAGE(tongue00.gif)

Edit: Even a quoted — deserves fixing...

[ Sunday, April 18, 2004 11:00: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
Visit The Santharian Dream and its RP board. Or the Encyclopaedia Ermariana!
Got a brain? Go to Polaris!
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
To a conspiracy for downfall and desperance
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey (freely translated)
Infiltrator
Member # 2242
Profile #19
Welcome back. The LoTR is one of the best series of all times.

--------------------
"He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster... when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes back into you."
-Friedrich Nietzsche

"There is no dodging the quad laser." -Ignignok
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #20
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

People claim that that's a non-original standpoint because thousands have it. However, in the now 3 years since I read it, I never came across someone sharing that point of view. IMAGE(wink0000.gif)
Really? That's odd. They're right, though; it is a non-original standpoint, but that doesn't make it wrong.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

In case of emergency, break glass.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #21
Tolkien was a better linguist than he was a writer. Frankly, he was a terrible writer, and his contributions to the RPG world must be weighed against the acres of crap that he spawned -- Piers Anthony, Terry Goodkind, the Dragonlance series, etc.

His contemporary CS Lewis was twice the writer he was.

--------------------
Beatoff Valley: A story told out of order.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #22
I agree. Although I did enjoy the movies, I've never been capable of getting into a Tolkien book, or indeed reading more than a few pages at a time. Although I've read nothing by Lewis outside of the Chronicles of Narnia, I've read each of the books in the series many times over, and enjoyed them all thoroughly.

--------------------
Stughalf

"The death-knell of the republic had rung as soon as the active power became lodged in the hands of those who sought, not to do justice to all citizens, rich and poor alike, but to stand for one special class and for its interests as opposed to the interests of others."- Theodore Roosevelt, 1903.
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #23
Piers Anthony! My eyes! My keyboard! Oh, the excruciating pain.
Warrior
Member # 1229
Profile #24
I couldn't get past the first Dark Tower book. Way too much Christian symbolism for me to handle, considering that I'm allergic to it.

Yes, allergic to Christian symbolism. I've had it ever since I started going to this bloody Christian elementry school where they tell you, oh no, they aren't imposing their religion on you, and proceed to shove it down your throat.

Pages