Exile or Avernum?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: Exile or Avernum?
Apprentice
Member # 4011
Profile #0
I am probably going to buy all three of either series. Which is more worth my money? I have played the first half of Exile 3 and like it a lot. I hear that the Avernum series is just a remade exile series. Is that true? Is the story/characters/magic/locations/etc, all the same?

And in the end, does the flashier graphics of Avernum make for a better game?

Thoughts are appreciated, thanks.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #1
Both are good. I preferred E1 to A1, A2 to E2 and I'm fairly ambivalent on E3/A3- both are decent.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Agent
Member # 1993
Profile #2
Exile is the rough copy of Avernum. Buy the latter, it is MUCH MORE BETTER to play and to see. Exile is Stone Age.
Uuuh, they will downkarma me for this, Exile has fans ... Let's say that: Once playing Avernum, you never want return to Exile anymore.
Ay ... not curses again ...
Why don't you simply try out the demo?

))
IMAGE(Exile or Avernum_files/tongue.gif) //
((>>>

--------------------
site of the month:
Do not trample down the earth on which you walk.
Calculate your personal footprint.
Warrior
Member # 3946
Profile Homepage #3
avernum isn't that much eye candy, exile succeded at making 2d look pimp (for lack of an expanded vocab) while a3 was still 2d... it just doesn't cut up to what you expect, and the gameplay is a little worse. but the major drawbacks on exile were the "power flaws" as i say, it's too easy to max out a stat at the beggining, if you want the challenge, definatly avernum, but i still prefer exile too it, but i'd get avernum, since exile lost its pimp tunes (if you want to understand that, dig up in the exile forum 'the music?')

--------------------
For a good time, play these free rpg's, http://www.r-fate.com/ and http://www.pristontale.com/
I wanna beta test BoA for windows!!!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #4
I prefer the Avernum series, myself. I can't stand those flat, playing-board graphics, and I prefer the four-person party cap. I haven't played Exile in so long, though, so that's as specific as I can get.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #5
The plot and world of each Avernum game is basically the same as the corresponding Exile game, but the combat system and magic is completely different. Try both if you have the time, and see which you prefer.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3239
Profile #6
Avernum, go for Avernum, it's worth it.

--------------------
I AM TEH BOOGEYMAN CORP.

--------------------

And since the stupid link won't work, I'll use this one:
Chance Forums
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #7
I actually like the Exile graphics more than Avernums, but the different heights of Avernum do add a new dimension, pun intended.

Exile has far more spells to try out. Many aren't useful, but you can spend far more time devising strange strategies. Avernum has fairly simple spells. Fry, buff, heal, summon. Also, with the removal of area spells, Avernum essentially loses the importance of formations.

Avernum has an improved skill system in many ways. Equipment is slightly different, traits are more balanced, and the games have slightly more polish.

—Alorael, who prefers Avernum to Exile. But really, the demos are all free. Download a few Exiles and Avernums and compare for yourself.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 3776
Profile Homepage #8
Avernum.3 preferably.

Exile stinks.It looks like a board game in the stone age.

--------------------
Some stupid laws

If it is mine,it is mine.
If I had it a second ago,it is mine
If it looks like it is mine it is mine.
If it is your's and you keep it down,it becomes mine.
If I like something,it is mine
If I see something,then it is mine.

Please click here
Do not visit this Page

Want to visit the misc.boards-This is the only WAY

-Stinging Munster
Apprentice
Member # 4012
Profile #9
I prefer Avernum to Exile personally, mainly due to the graphics.
But it wouldn't hurt to download and play the demos and choose for yourself.
Apprentice
Member # 4016
Profile #10
Well, it depends on what you like.

The Exile series is really true to the good ol' P&P RPG style. Except for the lack of personal contact with real live nerds, playing Exile is a lot like a good game of D&D. You're given a lot of freedom, such as in character creation (play with 1-6 PCs) character development (more PCs means more specialization) and dialog (keywords, not "pick a number.") The graphics also lend it some character, and though some may not like it, the retro style really appeals to me (and a few others I'm sure.)

Avernum is a computer game through and through. It's more polished, it runs smoother, it's got entirely different dialog and magic systems. The graphics are more complex than in Exile, but that really shouldn't be the big thing. Basically, it will come down to whether you want an experiance that's closer to an old-school P&P RPG or a contemporary PC RPG.

Either one's a good choice.

--------------------
[Guo_Si] Hey, you know what sucks?
[TheXPhial] vaccuums
[Guo_Si] Hey, you know what sucks in a metaphorical sense?
[TheXPhial] black holes
[Guo_Si] Hey, you know what just isn't cool?
[TheXPhial] lava?
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #11
I personally prefer Exile, but try both and see which one you like better.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #12
My preference lies with Avernum. I just found myself entirely unable to get into Exile, as I found the graphics and interface to be singularly disorienting.

quote:
Also, with the removal of area spells, Avernum essentially loses the importance of formations.
Aren't you forgetting the Cloud of Blades spell, Alorael? Or does it work in a different manner compared to the area effect spells in Exile?

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #13
Yes, but Cloud of Blades isn't really very good, particularly since by the time you'll be having that regularly cast on you you'll nearly always be heavily blessed.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #14
I've never had a monster cast Cloud of Blades on me. When I cast it on them, however, it's one of the better attack spells IMHO IMAGE(Exile or Avernum_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
We were once Mao
Lifecrafter
Member # 3608
Profile Homepage #15
E1 and E2 lose to their newer versions, I think, but E3 is better than A3 to me. But meh, BoE rules all of the mentioned games. IMAGE(Exile or Avernum_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
- The Great Mister
Mongolian Barbeque
Member # 1528
Profile #16
I've played all three Avernum games, and to some extent the demos of the Exile series. I found the interface of the Exile games to be almost impossible to work with, especially the dialog screens. I can't count the minutes I wasted typing in words, hoping that the person would respond to it!

However, the Avernum series doesn't allow for typed-in responses. Nethergate had an excellent balance of the two systems, especially with the riddles in the Vale of the Sould — when you come upon riddles in the Avernum series, you have to have already been told the answer by someone else so it'll appear as a response option, or your luck has to be high enough. This eliminates the thought that had to go into the Nethergate riddles. I hope Blades of Avernum will give the scenario designer some flexibility to allow typed-in responses.

I didn't mind the "crude" graphics of the Exile series, though I do prefer the Avernum style because it makes it easier to see where you can walk. I also wasted a lot of time in the Exile demos trying to walk over things that I thought were floors but turned out to be walls. I've got the bumps and bruises to prove it.

--------------------
A.E. van Vogt (1912-2000)
The World's Most Influential Science Fiction Writer

Author of such classics as Slan (1940), The World of Null-A (1945), The Voyage of the Space Beagle (1950), and The Weapon Shops of Isher (1951)

Visit my website about him at www.home.earthlink.net/~icshi/
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #17
Agreed. Nethergate was a superior game to any in the Exile/Avernum trilogies, and a large part of this was due to the keyword system implemented in the game, which allowed, as you mentioned, for the more challenging short-answer questions, as opposed to mindless multiple choice. Why Spidweb chose to switch to the thoroughly vacuous system used in Avernum, I'll never know.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #18
In Blades of Avernum, there is a text response call that can be used in scripts.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #19
Well, as a whole Avernum, but I enjoyed Exile 2 far more than I am enjoying Avernum 2. But maybe it'll pick up!

--------------------
Thus endeth this post.

Please visit Random Stupidity to see the amazing Spamness, or the wonderful-seven-posts-in-a-row-topic. And have fun!
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #20
Exile I has some issues with playability, but E2 and E3 are far superior to the Avernum remakes.

Exile II and Nethergate are by far Spiderweb's finest games.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #21
And Pyg is going to kick the asses of both down the block while a Quebecoise hooker with a heart of gold watches on and cheers.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #22
Somehow I think my opinion won't count for much, but two things come to mind.

First: Get Nethergate. It's almost the best of both Exile and Avernum. (Whoops, forgot to capitalize. Hold on while I change it...)

Second: If you absolutely must get one trilogy over the other, get the Avernum series. Once I made the switch Exile was so graphics- and interface-poor I couldn't go back.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Apprentice
Member # 4025
Profile Homepage #23
Talking: Exile & Avernum have EXACTLY the same messages. And I do mean EXACTLY. Read what people say, then look at the Exile games.
Maps: The maps are very similar, although they have slight differences.
The Graphics: Exile is pimpin' 2D, Avernum is low quality 3D.
The interface: the right click doesn't search IMAGE(Exile or Avernum_files/frown.gif)

The Answer: THEY'RE SHAREWARE!! Just play them IMAGE(Exile or Avernum_files/tongue.gif)

--------------------
All hail to me, for my best time in MineSweeper is 150 :)
The Supreme Rule
Warrior
Member # 2627
Profile Homepage #24
Toss a coin. Then buy both anyway.

--------------------
NUKE NORTH KOERA (No offence to any Koreans)

"Bouts of insanity stop us all going mad.":- Spike Milligan

I mod supaniks ass at Random_stupidity

NFC FOREVER!!!