Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #0
...Yeah, that's about it. He was a great man, and certainly deserves Spiderweb recognition.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3239
Profile #1
It's still Sunday though...

Happy Martin Luther King day anyways.

[ Monday, January 19, 2004 17:34: Message edited by: Gremlin Chief ]

--------------------
I AM TEH BOOGEYMAN CORP.

--------------------

And since the stupid link won't work, I'll use this one:
Chance Forums
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #2
IMAGE(Happy Martin Luther King, Jr Day!_files/10031762.jpg)

--------------------
You are my precious thing
Thing of speed and beauty,
As long as you remain beneath me
-- Big Black
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #3
Malcolm X ≠ Martin Luther King, Jr.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #4
IMAGE(Happy Martin Luther King, Jr Day!_files/1029534304.html)

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Shock Trooper
Member # 1723
Profile #5
I've been to the hotel where he was shot. The whole place is now the museum of Civil Rights. Very moving.

--------------------
"... and approximately one sea turtle."
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #6
Sah:
IMAGE(Happy Martin Luther King, Jr Day!_files/crisco.gif)

--------------------
-- Big Black
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #7
IMAGE(Happy Martin Luther King, Jr Day!_files/gandhi.jpg)

Another great man. If only there were more in this world like Gandhi and King.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #8
Gandhi was a bit of an ass.

--------------------
-- Big Black
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #9
In some ways, I acknowledge; however, he accomplished far too much in his violence-shortened lifetime for me to fault him for any of his minor shortcomings. The same goes for MLK Jr.'s womanizing.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #10
He also liked Hitler, hated Jews (The Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher's knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs." in response to a question about the holocaust) and forbade his son from having sex.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #11
How great does someone have to be to be "great" anyway? I tend to be kind of hardcore about it and I don't want people who commit adultery, are racists/bigots, etc. to be considered but that's just me.

Registered since July 2003, and a grand total of two posts! You'll never shut me up now.

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
Infiltrator
Member # 1877
Profile #12
You just impress me too much girl!

--------------------
MDNZZZ
ZMMMBIS
WBLOONZ

33111-CRUSADER-4849
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #13
quote:
Originally written by dareva:

I tend to be kind of hardcore about it and I don't want people who commit adultery, are racists/bigots, etc. to be considered but that's just me.
With those requirements, I highly doubt you would be able to find a single person for your list. Human beings, by nature, are imperfect creatures. Refusing to call a man like Martin Luther King, Jr. a "great man" simply because of a few extramarital escapades is unfair and ludicrous.

As for Gandhi, even though he was a great man, he was still a man of his times. The charges you make, Morgan, are serious, and most probably justified, but I still feel his positive accomplishments far outweigh his anti-semitism (hardly an odd viewpoint for his times) and his many eccentricities.

--------------------
Warrior
Member # 3694
Profile #14
Martin Luther King, Jr. was definetly a great man. Worthy of an American holiday for his works in the U.S. Though if he gets a world-wide day, he should come back to life and earn it IMAGE(Happy Martin Luther King, Jr Day!_files/rolleyes.gif) (no, no, no, self, bad Jame).

Ghandi is, to me, sort of a mixedly great man. On the one hand, he believed in nonviolence, but on the other he advocated Partition between Hindus and Muslims. This, in my view, probably helped stir the wars between India and Pakistan.

--------------------
And that was exactly the point of itself.
Takes advantage of the easily offended.
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #15
I agree for the most part, Stughalf. I would imagine approving of Hitler was simply a reaction against the British - he believed all the propaganda against Hitler were probably lies with the aim of getting Indians to fight for the British Empire.

However, his comments about Jews are indefensible. He spoke this after World War II, when the full truth about the death camps had been exposed. Perhaps, if he had said this in 1940, it would have been understandable. As it is, it sickens me.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
Infiltrator
Member # 3220
Profile #16
Stughalf, I did not say that I don't consider Martin Luther King, Jr. to be a great man. I was just musing on what it took to be great. As you say, with such stringent requirements, it makes it difficult, but as I grow older, I see things in less absolute terms.

--------------------
But I have never known or heard of anyone in real life who has said, "Yes! My goal in life is to be a brainless follower of obnoxious people!"
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #17
quote:
Originally written by Morgan:

He also liked Hitler, hated Jews (The Jews should have offered themselves to the butcher's knife. They should have thrown themselves into the sea from cliffs." in response to a question about the holocaust) and forbade his son from having sex.
The quote you dredge up is, to be fair, somewhat out of context. He wished that the Jews had reacted to persecution in a similar way to the Indians: nonviolent resistance. Unfortunately, he didn't seem to understand that the Jews did not have the advantage of numbers, nor a cultural history of nonviolence (The general idea is that if someone strikes you and you turn the other cheek, you are encouraging injustice and therefore as guilty as him who starts it), nor enemies who could be defeated by appeals to common humanity.

Gandhi's statement wasn't directed by bigotry (although he was, being a product of his times, not divorced from it), but by ignorance and false analogy.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #18
I can say what I feel about MLK,Malcom X, The Black Panters and the NAACP. But If I do I will be called a biggot. So when it comes To MLK day and how I feel about it I will only say one thing. I plead the fifth.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #19
MLK and the NAACP really can't be lumped in with the Black Panthers and Malcolm X - they're completely different ends of the spectrum.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #20
I believe Malcolm X did more for the liberation of African Americans than MLK ever did.

In any case, dareva: I think that anyone who HASN'T committed adultery shouldn't be considered great.

--------------------
-- Big Black
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #21
Listen, I really don't want to talk about this subject. But I feel I have to. I know this is going to start a flame war but I have to say it. I am now going to make a refrence to God. I have nothing against God. But I hate when people kill in his name. I am going to put my opinion of MLK aside, and I am just going to say what I feel about what people did in his name. Whenever MLK would make his speeches thousands of African Americans would riot in his name. They would go into peoples houses and brake. They raped people, muged people, and many of these people where of there own race. Now how is that trying to gain human rights and racial equality.

Now as for Malcom X. He lead The Black Panters. And I don't know if anyone here knows about this but the Black Panters where into alot of shady activity. They use to do rob banks, sell drugs, kidnap people. All too fund there activities. And the FBI was actually watching them, I believe they actually made treats to The Government. And there actually African Americans today who say what the Black Panters did was wrong. And that's all I am going to say about MLK, Malcom X, and The Black Panters.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #22
MLK did not incite riots. He organized demonstrations and boycotts, but he was always opposed to violence. There were race riots in America, but they were symptoms of the problems, not MLK's nonviolent solution. I'm sure people were killed in King's name, but people will kill for anything. He never encouraged anyone to do so.

The Black Panthers were more violent, but I wouldn't base dislike of them on the FBI. The FBI (and certainly the police!) also watched MLK carefully, I think, and I know they wiretapped the house of his organizer and advisor Bayard Rustin.

—Alorael, who must acknowledge that the FBI's surveillance of Rustin was more due to his one-time ties with the Communist Party and probably his homosexuality than because of his activism with MLK. He was arrested repeatedly for "moral crimes."
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #23
Well yes you as a Libral Aloral will respect MLK. But people still did riot in his name and you can not lie about that. And The Black Panters where involved with illegal activity. I know you are a bleeding heart libral but you must come to terms with reality.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #24
JF, Alorael just said that people killed in MLK's name and that the Black Panthers were involved in violent (read: illegal) protests.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00

Pages