Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Happy Martin Luther King, Jr. Day!
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #75
quote:
Originally written by Sir David:

Alec, I'm not ignoring the problem, I just don't see how a system of inequality solves the problem of inequality. And I find it ironic that you end your rant by calling me a ranting idiot. IMAGE(Happy Martin Luther King, Jr Day! (4)_files/tongue.gif)

y = z + 5
y+10 = z+10
y+10 = (y+5)+10
y+10 = y+15
10 = 15?

[ Monday, January 26, 2004 19:05: Message edited by: Custer Custer Revolution ]

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #76
Um, sir?

y = z + 5
y + 10 != z + 10
y + 10 = z + 15

z = y - 5

y + 10 = (y - 5) + 15
y + 10 = y + 10
10 = 10

—Alorael, who does not approve heartily of Alec's proof.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #77
I have a vision for the future. I believe that AA should be Abolished. But it should be replaced with a system that prohibits Racial Descrimination on "All Front", but is fair. I do not think AA is fair. I do however believe there was once a time we needed AA, however I believe that time is now long gone.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Apprentice
Member # 3916
Profile #78
The Lord of Evil: Let me try to explain my belief. Let's say the Black community gets offended if the White piece in chess moves first. -- and with how things are going I would not be surprised if that happened. so lets say the Black community wants it changed to the black piece moving first instead of the White piece.

That would be wacky, same as worrying about "Angel Food" cake and "Devil's Food" cake. Good grief, The "black community" seems ever-ready to blame such "white" things while maintaining an enormous rate of illegitimate children, or simply children born out of wedlock.

For decades the rate has been around 75%, so only about a quarter of black kids have two married parents present. The proclivity of black males to father children and then not be around for them is hardly a secret within the black community, and there has been lots of adaptation, such as grandmothers raising the kids, or pooling mothers for support while some other mothers work.

That's all fine and good, and certainly better than no remedy at all, but the situation still has demonstrable effects (often poverty is included) -- kids from single-parent homes do worse, in general, in school than kids from two-parent homes. To blame "white society" for this is silly. Better to look to the real causes instead. Pregnancy prevention or behavior modification for black males is a good start.

No, not every kid in the US has equal opportunity. But moaning and crying about one's ancestors being slaves hundreds of years ago or "The Man's keepin' me down," misses most of the real deal, and serves to perpetuate it.

Doug
This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #79
In Britain, where we have ethnic minorities but to a smaller extent, one finds that fidelity amongst the poor in general is low. There are certain exceptions (I believe the rate of divorce amongst the Asian community is lower, but haven't seen any statistics to prove this is more than hearsay) but in general, when you have less of a stake in society, there's less incentive for a couple to stay together. When you're comfortably off, it's a lot easier to sustain a loving relationship.

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #80
Everything you said PL I wanted to say but was afraid of being called a racist. Thank you for saying it for me. This is my theory on why black people tend to have more kids and do not parent them. In Africa the black African males father many children. Notice I said father child not to become a father to a child. It is not uncommon in Africa to see a black child who doesn't know who is mother or father is. The problem with Blacks in Africa is the same with blacks in The US. It is my theory that it is in the black peoples genes to have sex more often and father many children. Since most of these intercourse relationship are probably one night stands the fathers will not stay around to actually be a father to there child instead of fathering children. Yes alot of it has to do with poor education and poverty and alot of that goes back to slavery. But I think alot of it has to do with genetic makeup that cause blacks to have more sex and father more children than whites.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #81
Well, is it really their fault that they're so ... well endowed?

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #82
I still think it's poverty, not race. If Europeans were mainly black and Africans were mainly white, but everything else stayed the same, I think Africa would have the same problem as it does now.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #83
No, it wouldn't. The whites would all be dead of sunburn. That aside, I agree. But right now the whites are not the poorer group, generally, and racism compounds the issue.

—Alorael, who believes that AA is valuable to counteract that element of racism as well as the demographic tendency towards poverty. Don't downplay the racism; it's still very much alive, although less prominent. Just because nobody will say that they are racist doesn't mean that nobody is.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Apprentice
Member # 3916
Profile #84
The Lord of Evil: Everything you said PL I wanted to say but was afraid of being called a racist. Thank you for saying it for me.

Well, it would be racist to say, "Blacks are bad and non-blacks are good." Yet to simply note the way things really are is just speaking the truth.

This is my theory on why black people tend to have more kids and do not parent them. In Africa the black African males father many children. Notice I said father child not to become a father to a child. It is not uncommon in Africa to see a black child who doesn't know who is mother or father is. The problem with Blacks in Africa is the same with blacks in The US. It is my theory that it is in the black peoples genes to have sex more often and father many children.

I would say it is cultural and environmental, rather than genetic. Sadly, poverty is often a motivator (- beyond race and in many two-parent families, having a lot of kids is seen as a way to have a measure of security for one's old age. "I've got fifteen kids -- maybe they'll support me when I'm old.")

Yes, there is and has been racism, but in no way is it correct to say that affirmative action "makes up" for it, in general nor on a case-by-case basis.

One thing that is quite prevalent in the US is the attitude among young blacks, especially males, that's it's not acceptable nor prestigious to do well in school. That is "playing Whitey's game," or being a "punk," or just not chillin'-with-tha-bruthas and adopting the I-don't-need-this attitude.

Later, when it's college admission time, crying "racism" is often fatuous. "Hey, it's your behavior that got you where you are, not racism."

Doug
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #85
Maybe blacks do bear some of the responsibility for their predicament, but we (and be "we" I mean whites, or at least American whites) need to cast the beam out of our own eye first. Poverty reinforces counter-productive behavior patterns in any group, while, black, whatever, and those behaviors only worsen poverty. Not only blacks, but also Hispanics and a lot of whites are trapped in this self-limiting cycle. The rich and well-off who got the cycle started, and their cultural heirs are still bearing the benefits of it.

That's why drugs, crime, and deadbeat fathers seem so common in black America. When your life sucks and there's no hope of making it any better, you do dumb things. When you're faced with starvation or homelessness, the law suddenly doesn't hold as much authority as it used to. These are people who've been living hand-to-mouth since the Civil War and who had it even worse before that. And who caused that? The white majority. Not all of it, certainly, but let's face it, there are still people around today who remember when someone who believed that blacks and whites were basically equal was a hopeless idealist. Even people who didn't own slaves still profited from slavery. Slave labor helped make America rich, and all of that wealth diffused through the free people of the United States.

Today, most of that wealth is still in white hands. I don't mean to suggest that every white person is in the wrong, or that every white American should feel guilty. But white Americans like myself have to bear our share of the responsibility for our country's racial ills.

What I'm trying to say is that it's easy to say that black culture discourages working hard in school, or encourages amoral lawbreaking, or produces a lot of irresponsible parents. It may be true, and it may not; I'm pretty sheltered and wouldn't know the ghetto from parrono gouda, but that doesn't matter here. We can't make anyone change their behavior, but we have a duty, as Americans and as memebers of the human family, to do what we can to right the wrongs of the past, regardless of the morality or responsibility of the people we owe.

--------------------
We were once Mao
For Carnage, Apply Within
Member # 95
Profile #86
Edit: Double post. Apologies.

[ Friday, January 30, 2004 22:49: Message edited by: [Sarachim] ]

--------------------
We were once Mao
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #87
I know there is a problem with racism, but I still don't see how setting blacks apart is going to fix that. I mean, wouldn't we want to make them equal, not better? That will only cause resentment.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #88
Hmm, First I am going to repeat something I said earlier. Not all black people are poor. There are rich black people. And not all white peope are rich, there are poor white people. I am white and I am not rich, I am working class. And I actually know more than one poor white person. Yes the majority of black people are not rich, but actually the majority of white people are not rich. Yes there are more poor black people than rich black people, but there are more poor white people than rich white people. Someone said this to me once and it actually made since to me. I really think it has more to do with wealth as it does to do with race. For instance rich white people and rich black people in wealthy niegborhoods get along. And poor black people and poor white people in the gettho get along. Just as there are rich White people who look down at poor white people. and there are rich black people who look down at poor black people. Yes there are still many racial issues in our society today. And raceism is still a big issue. But I think it's more of a financial issue than a race issue now. Like I said before race is still a big issue but we are no longer still in the days when it is hard to find several black CEO's. Allso maybe the fact that black people tend to have large familys is due to there cultore. For instance in the Asian cultor people marrying at a young age is embraces. So maybe in the African Cultore large familys and people having many children is embraced. Allso I am going to ask one more time, Can this Topic please be locked before someone says something totally racist and totally out of hand?

[ Saturday, January 31, 2004 10:00: Message edited by: The Lord of Evil ]

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Apprentice
Member # 3916
Profile #89
Sarachim: >>What I'm trying to say is that it's easy to say that black culture discourages working hard in school, or encourages amoral lawbreaking, or produces a lot of irresponsible parents. It may be true, and it may not; I'm pretty sheltered and wouldn't know the ghetto from parrono gouda, but that doesn't matter here.<<

I think it does matter, since regardless of the exact reasons why, if an applicant for a position is passed along on the basis of something other than merit, then the system as a whole is "dumbed down," and we end up with less productivity, advancement, and progress as a whole. Less, for everybody, even though it may favor one "needy" individual, is hardly a good thing.

>>We can't make anyone change their behavior, but we have a duty, as Americans and as memebers of the human family, to do what we can to right the wrongs of the past, regardless of the morality or responsibility of the people we owe.<<

There is no "righting the wrongs of the past." Hundreds of years ago some of the strong tribes in Africa rounded up some members of weak tribes and sold them into slavery. I note that almost all blacks in the US have things much better than almost all black Africans, though there obviously has been racism and a less-than-equal footing for blacks, versus whites, in the US.

Person by person, black individuals have free will, and what happened hundreds of years ago does not change that. We should be rewarding good behavior, not bad.

Doug
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #90
Wait a minut I just had a relevation about something I said earlier. What if a wealthy Black kid gets accepted into a college over a poor white kid due to Afirmitive Action. Think about it what if one of Oprah's kids get's accepted into Harvard over a poor white kid due to Affirmitive Action. Think about that. Is that fair. And that can happen because Affirmitive action is to, "Help minorities and Women". it says nothing about helping "poor minorities and woman". That is one of the reasons why we should abolish Affirmitive action and replace it with a system that prevents racial discrimination yet is fair. Now about something that we where discussing earlier. I do not believe that anyone should have numerous children and not take responsibility for them. And I do not mean this for only the black people. This tends to be a problem amongst whites as well. I do not care if you are white or black rich or poor. If you have children that you have never seen and take no responsibility for you in my opinion should not be labeld a human. There comes a time for everyone to grow up. It is called responsibility. There comes a day when you must take responsibility for your family. If you do not want children do not have sex. Having sex with many woman getting them pregnant and then not taking care of your own children is a lack of responsibility. Having children and not taking care of your own children is a lack of responsibility. And remember a lack of responsibility is a terrible sin.

[ Saturday, January 31, 2004 19:28: Message edited by: The Lord of Evil ]

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #91
At least in the US, you are forced to take financial responsibility for children that you father, even if you are not there for them.

That aside, all of you should feel more sorry for Asian males than for poor white students, really.
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #92
If you are refering to the fact that Asian familys put alot of pressure on the Asian males to succed in school and life and one day take the burden of raising a family one day. Then yes, I do feel bad for Asian males. But right now in The US out of all the races I actually feel bad for Arab Musliums the most.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
Shake Before Using
Member # 75
Profile #93
No, I'm referring to the fact that an Asian male can have trouble getting into a prestigious American college with a 3.9 GPA, as it supposedly shows him to be an underacheiver.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #94
Also, many medical schools and other institutions of higher learning are often forced to implement informal quotas with regards to Asians and Indians, as otherwise whites would be a small minority in many medical schools, and there would be barely any black or hispanic med. students at all. Asians and Indians, among others, are termed "privileged minorities" by governmental organizations, meaning that they, justifiably, receive no advantages whatsoever over whites in selection processes.

[ Sunday, February 01, 2004 12:11: Message edited by: A Stughalfian Principle ]

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #95
I do not quit understand what you are saying. There is a large number of Asian Doctors in the US. But that is not due to Afirmitive Action. That is due to the fact that the vast majority of Asians work harder in school than the other races in the U.S. Actually I feel that the fast majority of Asian parents are more supportive towards there childrens school careers than many White Anglo Saxon Protestant parents.

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #96
What he's saying is that he believes Asians tend to be discriminated against by employers and college admissions boards, because expectations of them are higher. Think of it as AA in reverse. (Negative Inaction? Or is that a double negative?)
Agent
Member # 798
Profile Homepage #97
oh I understand. But Asian parents tend to put alot of tension on there children to succedd as well. I do feel bad for Asians in that sence. But I feel bad for Muslium Americans because in The US the Musliums have been scapecoated for all of the problems in the Country by many other Americans. And not just White Americans, but Non white Hispanic Americans, Black Americans and Asian Americans as well. All though the Muslium Americans are not being tortured to death like The Jews in Nazi Germany or the Cambodians in Chamaluge Cambodia. The Musliums are being blamed for many of the Countrys problems. And I actually find that stupid. Because the way I see it most of the muslium Americans are very law abiding and hold a strong value for morals. But the Musliums where behind 9/11. The US is at war with a muslium state, and a radical muslium organization. And so the musliums are too blame for all of the problems in the US. All I'm trying to say is that in this post we have been talking about The African Americans and Asian Americans. But has anyone considered thinking about the Muslium Americans feelings. IMAGE(Happy Martin Luther King, Jr Day! (4)_files/frown.gif)

--------------------
Look Ma, I'm banned!
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #98
Moslems are an ethnic group...?

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #99
Well, the Jews are... I know what you mean, they're a bit more widespread and diverse than the Jews, but they're still a minority in the US. Steriotypes don't have to make sense.

--------------------
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Pages