How long you been playing Spiderweb

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How long you been playing Spiderweb
Apprentice
Member # 161
Profile #0
I was just thinking, I have been playing spiderweb software games since 1994 i think it must have been. I remember getting Exile on a mac games cd. I weeded everything I could out of that demo. It was so much fun. It was actually my first "modern" game that I ever played, so it kind of opened the door for me. Since then I have tried every demo and loved them. I have wanted to register for so long, and I finally sent in an order form today. I was younger then so I couldn't, but now I can finally support the coolest software company on the net (along with amrosia software). I was just wondering whether any of ya'll would like to say how long you been playing Spiderweb games, and what your opinion of our arachnid freinds is.

--------------------
So I says to 'im, big guns are nice, but a 25 in. deck gun is a little excsessive for personal protection don't you think?
Lifecrafter
Member # 3320
Profile #1
I discovered Exile 1 around 1998 or 1999. I only had a 1980's computer before that. I discovered it by chance when I borrowed a cd-rom off of my neighbor, who upon when I returned it, took it to college and I never heard of it again. That computer crashed a few times, and I lost the game in the first crash. It took me three years to find another copy. I didn't get the Internet until June of this year, so I have been suffering a long time.

I played the game to the fullest when I first discovered it. But at that time, I was unable to register it. I discovered the version I played had the original graphics and boy do I miss them.

--------------------
Mrs. Peacock: "Everything all right?"
Colonel Mustard: "Yep. Two Corpses. Everything's fine."

"Keep your wits about you, the game is afoot!!" - Sherlock Holmes
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #2
I played E1 around 1994 or 1995. I decided to register, but at that point I could only do it by mail. I sent my registration form and got it back with a letter saying that I interpreted as saying that Spiderweb had gone out of business (actually, I believe it only said that Spiderweb had moved and left no forwarding address).

Anyway, I somehow managed to survive a few years until I discovered E2 and E3 online. More importantly, I found the new address and the website for online orders. I registered E3, played through it madly, and the rest is silence punctuated by the sound of typing and clicking and the occasional fireball noise or death cry.

—Alorael, who isn't sure of the date of his rediscovery, except that it was between the release of E3 and the first hints of A1. Probably.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #3
I've been playing it since 1989, when I was given the Bush administration's special secret advance copies of Spiderweb Software's incomparable games. Then I played Geneforge and I was hooked!!!!!!!!!!!!1

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Lifecrafter
Member # 59
Profile #4
I found the demo versions of Exile I-III on a magazine CD in late 1998, and I played them in order. In 1999, I purchased the Exile Trilogy CD, and started playing Exile III first. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How long you been playing Spiderweb1_files/smile.gif) It's better to play the whole game before you even touch its sequels.

Since then, I've registered all new Spiderweb games as soon as they were released for M$ Windows, more or less (Avernum 1-3 and GF1-2).
Shock Trooper
Member # 3238
Profile #5
I got it way back in... 93? I can't remember very well. It was and still is on a "1000+ Great Games" CD (Which were, of course, crap demos). But Exile caught my eye. I played it, and played it, and played it... but I really could never register. Still too young, and my parents won't let me. IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How long you been playing Spiderweb1_files/wink.gif) I still have my level 43 save on there... still can't be Motrax! Lol. If anyone really does want the very old Exile, I'll be willing to send them a copy. PC only. (Those graphics are old...)

--------------------
"Friendship is two things: Trust, and sharing. I personally see it as a business opportunity."
-Random Quote
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #6
Probably since 1996 or something like that. The game was Exile III, the very first RPG I've ever played. My first emotion was confusion. Then came understanding quickly followed by pure joy.

And the rest is history...

Oh crap. I'm getting sentimental over a computer game. Poor me.
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #7
Thanks to MacWorld, I got a demo of Exile in 1994 and was hooked. I've been playing ever since. Thank you.

*sits down*

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Vahnatai Did Do It
desperance.net - We're Everywhere
The Arena - God Will Sort The Dead
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 3457
Profile #8
i started playing 2 days before i joined here (i joined here 14th of september 2003) after a friend got me to have a try of avernum 3 (so when i got home i went to download it for myself and found these boards and joined)

[edited because: i found the right date]

[ Sunday, October 19, 2003 05:13: Message edited by: LordLoony ]
Shaper
Member # 496
Profile #9
I suppose I'm a relative newbie, first (badly) playing the E3 download Spring 2001 and getting the Trilogy CD Xmas that year.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #10
I got Exile 3 ages ago from a demo CD, long before I even had internet. So a few years later I downloaded the other games (Avernum1-3, Exile 1-2), and BoE after that. I know that was in the Summer of 2001, because that's when my first ideas for BoE scenarios started popping up scribbled in my school notes and on my computer.

I was aware of this board, but I didn't join it because a), I didn't have a regular internet connection then, b) I didn't actually know what a discussion board is (that was a year after I had first been surfing in my life!), and c) all the people here seemed like they belonged into nice BIG cells with really soft walls... IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How long you been playing Spiderweb1_files/tongue.gif)IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How long you been playing Spiderweb1_files/biggrin.gif)

Curious how little the things really change with time, eh? IMAGE(Spiderweb Software Boards How long you been playing Spiderweb1_files/biggrin.gif)

I only joined this board early this year, that was because I had a question about Avernum 3.

[ Sunday, October 19, 2003 06:23: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #11
Now I'm going to have to count backwards a few years just to figure this one out.

12th: 2002-2003
11th: 2001-2002
10th: 2000-2001
9th: 1999-2000
8th: 1998-1999
7th: 1997-1998

Now that that is all done. I've been playing Spidweb games since 1997.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
Apprentice
Member # 3570
Profile Homepage #12
I first found Blades Of Exile on a demo disk in 1999-2000 I then played it beating it and then re-beating it for about one year then I came to spidweb.com and downloaded Exile 3 and played that for a long time until I thought I had everything I could find out found out but the game still surprises me... So now I ordered the full virsion of Blades OF Exile and I eagerly wait for it to come in the mail....

--------------------
A Dragon's Home

Freedom comes when the mind is free. Free from work, free from reality, The mind soars to new heights and places. This is where we live. Reality can not comprehend us, We go beyond the laws of physics, The impossible is possible, And knowledge is meaningless. Few people know of us, Yet all are able to see us. We're in the books, in the art, In buildings and other things. Seek us, and you will find us, Not in reality, but in your heart.
Warrior
Member # 2155
Profile #13
I cannot exactly pinpoint when I first started playing Spiderweb... I remember that I first got Exile 2 on a large demos disk and that it was the only decent thing on it. I also remember that this was using the very first graphics set. If anyone can get a rough date out of that, well more power to you.

---Your longtime Spiderweb maniac, Necris Omega

--------------------
Sanity is a relative concept. And like most my relatives, I rarely see it.
"The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." ~ Albert Einstein
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
Let's see, here... (Doing the same thing Sully did, by necessity)

11th: 2003-2004
10th: 2002-2003
9th: 2001-2002
8th: 2000-2001
7th: 1999-2000
6th: 1998-1999
5th: 1997-1998

I can't remember very clearly about playing it before 4th, but I know it's been at least 6 years.

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Warrior
Member # 2978
Profile #15
Using Lt. Sullust's post to count, I find that I got Exile 1 & 2 on a demo CD in the spring of 1998.
Funny, as I recall playing E2 through many long *dark* nights. I guess I didn't get hooked immediately but rediscovered the disc later that year.

--------------------
Contradictions get me everything I want.
Love is all. Love is Evil.
Apprentice
Member # 161
Profile #16
Posted by IronWeed
Oh crap. I'm getting sentimental over a computer game. Poor me.

And there it is. I mean, we do get sentimental about spiderweb, feel that the people there are a great bunch, because we see the humor rub off in the game. It's great stuff, instead of the mindless trash that ninety percenty of games are these days. But wow. I just can't believe I was eight when I first played the game. See y'all.

--------------------
So I says to 'im, big guns are nice, but a 25 in. deck gun is a little excsessive for personal protection don't you think?
Erudite*
Member # 3042
Profile #17
I heard of Spiderweb Software from MacAddict. The first game I played was Avernum 2, which came on the disc.

--------------------
The Club of All
Chance Forums
I was once member #2475, but then my account was deleted because of a bug.
Post count=406+whatever it says below.
Agent
Member # 1934
Profile Homepage #18
I think I started playing E1 right before E2 came out. About two years later I got some MacCube CDs that have the original wersion of Exile on them. The graphcis are really old. And it has a different intro movie.

--------------------
I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every second of it.

Delierious?
Agent
Member # 27
Profile #19
I first stumbled across Exile and Exile 2 in 96, while searching through downloadable games off the interenet. I played them for a few weeks, lost interest, then a year later I beat every single side quest and mission in the E2 demo, until there were no monsters left to fight and no quests to complete. I then registered it. I have loved these games ever since.

--------------------
I be rockin' da paradise baby.
Warrior
Member # 246
Profile #20
For some reason I remember play a version of Exile that had crappy graphics. So either I'm crazy or Jeff upgraded the graphics at some point.
Infiltrator
Member # 65
Profile Homepage #21
I first played E2 (original graphics) in Mid-1998. I never bothered reading the rules (It took a while to figure out how to attack with meelee weapon) and at first thought the game to be not that good but something kept me playing it. I would always create parties with mages/priests and archers. It was by accident I learnt how to use a sword. After that I began to enjoy the game emensely. I then went on the internet to learn about E1. I was surprised to find that they had made E3 and downloaded it immediatly.
I haven't looked back since.

I can thank spiderweb games for giving me an interest in rpg's and teaching me what pacifist meant. (I learnt that after creating an all pacifist party and going into combat for the first time.)

--------------------
...a sadist is only someone that is terribly nice to a masochist...

Want to find out how nasty you really are? visit:http://www.thespark.com/ now!

Also look at my site here
This is also a
good site
Shock Trooper
Member # 1207
Profile #22
I believe it was around 1996-7 (wow, 7 years ago!). When I first tried Exile (in 1995 maybe) I didn't understand why I seemed to be transported to a new world every time I went through those black gates near the edge of the map and transported back again when I went into that fort thingie (Seriously, it took me a while to figure this out!). Anyway I remember finding all of the Exile games on demo CD's individually and enjoying them. I think I really got hooked when I found Blades because it had a scenario editor (which took me a while to find, I remember searching the demo CD's, of which I have loads cos my dad used to buy MacFormat magazine, just to find the Exile game with an editor for creating your own) and that was the first I registered. Then I registered E3 and played through that, then Avernum came out and I eventually registered A3, cos it was the one I could get a discount on.
Sorry about the long post. Please don't kill me.

--------------------
~ørangutan

I want high-bit characters in my displayed name!!! :( :( :( (Or at least an exclamtion point!)

Eat pie!
BADGER!
Cartographer
Member # 1851
Profile Homepage #23
2001? 2000? I'm not sure, but not very long. I found Nethergate from MB CD, and .. fell in love with it. Then it took maybe a year or half to actually try to rest. And longer to join here.

--------------------
Ah! My Homepage - In Finnish and English
Geneforge - The Maps
My Elfwood Gallery - Stories I've written in english
The WALL - Forums in Finnish
Waitingformedication. I could really use some.
FAQSELF
Member # 3
Profile #24
1996, started with Exile 1. Exile 2 was just about to be released for the Mac.

--------------------
A few cats short of a kitten pot pie...

Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Check out a great source for information on Avernum 2, Nethergate, and Subterra: Zeviz's page.
Finally, there's my Geneforge FAQ and Geneforge 2 FAQ.
Posts: 2831 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00

Pages