How long you been playing Spiderweb

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: How long you been playing Spiderweb
Senile Reptile
Member # 547
Profile #25
I am Alorael, so refer to Alorael's post to see when I started playing.

--------------------
Polaris
Posts: 1614 | Registered: Wednesday, January 23 2002 08:00
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #26
I believe I first discovered Spiderweb games about a year and a half ago. As such, I've played all the Avernum and Geneforge games, and Nethergate, but have never played any of the Exile trilogy. I tried to play Blades of Exile one time, but I had already been thoroughly spoiled by the Avernum graphics, and just couldn't quite get into the game enough to derive any enjoyment from it.

Unfortunately, I only discovered the existence of this board about a month ago. If I had been aware of its presence before, I might not have the humiliating "newbie" tag attached to me. In this vein, though, I do have a bit of advice for some of the earlier forum members who are upset about the rapid influx of new members:

Forming a generalization in your mind about any group of people is unwise. I wager that if you give newer members a chance, there will indeed be some of us that shall impress you with our wisdom, as well as our humility.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #27
We do get particularly good newbies every once in a while. We generally deal with it by accusing them of being old members in disguise for a few months, until they're not so new any more.

--------------------
I believe there are 15 747 724 136 275 002 577 105 653 961 181 555 468 044 717 914 527 116 709 366 231 425 076 185 631 031 296 protons in the universe, and the same number of electrons. -- Sir Arthur Eddington
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #28
Or until they turn into Alec.

—Alorael, who would once again argue the definition of newbie. Those who come, fit in, and could be accused of being old members in disguise aren't newbies for more than a few days. Those who come and irritate people can be newbies for years.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3310
Profile #29
quote:
Originally written by Stughalf:

Unfortunately, I only discovered the existence of this board about a month ago. If I had been aware of its presence before, I might not have the humiliating "newbie" tag attached to me. In this vein, though, I do have a bit of advice for some of the earlier forum members who are upset about the rapid influx of new members:

Forming a generalization in your mind about any group of people is unwise. I wager that if you give newer members a chance, there will indeed be some of us that shall impress you with our wisdom, as well as our humility.

What's so humiliating with being a newbie? At least in this case, age doesn't bring wisdom or anything like it (as I daresay I've noticed). I wouldn't mind being a newbie for the rest of my life, since being an oldbie really doesn't grant any advantages. It's what you say that matters, anyway.

And yes, as paradoxal as it may seem, I'm not too happy about the increasing member number. There are way too many people answering every topic. Reading through all these posts (which you have to do in order to be able to write an at least somewhat intelligent answer) is really slow! So, I probably shouldn't be writing this, either.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #30
There is nothing inherently wrong with being a newbie. I would most emphatically concur with Alorael's statements about the meaning of the term. It is the responsibility and duty of a new member of any respectable organization to pay his dues with that organization. For this board, paying one's dues include answering the questions of others whenever possible, being respectful to all other members, and posting meaningful, insightful, and relevant comments. Those newer members who pay their dues and earn a positive reputation over time will cease to be viewed as one in the endless deluge of newbies, and will ascend to a position of respect in this forum.

--------------------
"Let a man find himself, in distinction from others, on top of two wheels with a chain- at least in a poor country like Russia- and his vanity begins to swell out like his tires. In America it takes an automobile to produce this effect."- Leon Trotsky

Pages