Give Peace a Chance

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Give Peace a Chance
Agent
Member # 1169
Profile #0
I've been so inflammatory lately that I've actually begun to regret insulting whomever comes within ten feet of me (though that person is usually Dave.) With all the crap that's going on with the 4th of July topics, we're all at each others' throats even more than usual, which is saying something. What this board needs right now is a topic where everyone is courteous and kind to each other, and the whole thing brought to mind...oh God I can't believe I'm actually saying this...if anyone besides myself was dragged against their will to see the second Legally Blonde movie, they might remember the whole "snap cup" thing, where everyone had to say one nice thing about someone else. Ultimately, that turned into a flamefest, and the movie made me want to rip my own eyes out and feed them to a swarm of rabid chipmunks, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

So, everyone who posts in this topic must find one nice thing to say about another member. Dear God, am I actually doing this?

I'll take an easy one to start with. Ef (I know it's not usually capitalized, but I can't start a sentence with a lowercase letter, it'll throw my karma off-balance) is generally wise and levelheaded and doesn't join in the flamewars, but instead acts as peacekeeper and helps to rationalize things.

--------------------
"Man hands down misery to man. It deepens like a coastal shelf. Get out as early as you can, and don't have any kids yourself."--Philip Larkin, "This Be the Verse"

Fear the wrath of the Grammar Wench, lest ye be cut down by the Glistening Scythe.
Babelicious
Member # 3149
Profile Homepage #1
Hawkgirl is a kind, intelligent person and a total sweetheart.

Good idea, RoR. I'm frankly tired of all of the *****ing and whining and pissing.
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #2
Sir David is a more rational (or at least less inflamatory) conservative than the conservatives he links to (ProtestWarrior).

PS- I'm not the only one who knew that Djur was going to complement 80, right?

[ Sunday, July 06, 2003 19:12: Message edited by: Doctor Wu ]

--------------------
We're all amazed but not amused
By all the things that you said you'd do.
You're much concerned but not involved by
Decisions that are made by you
But we are sick and tired of hearing your song,
Telling us how you are going to change right from wrong,
'Cause if you really want to hear our views,
You haven't done nothin'.

Posts: 6936 | Registered: Tuesday, September 18 2001 07:00
Shock Trooper
Member # 1506
Profile #3
EDIT: ^^^ *poke* TM. The number is 80

Awww. *blush* Djur knows I feel the same way about him, so it would be cheating to simply reciprocate.

General Custer is currently one of my favorite memebers.

[ Sunday, July 06, 2003 18:27: Message edited by: Hawkgirl ]

--------------------
desperance.net -- Come on in, we don't bite. Well, I don't.
Shaper
Member # 32
Profile #4
I prefer the unknown members. Those who remain uninvolved in some of the more disturbing events which have occurred in these forums. May those who are invisible always have the pleasure of remaining that way. It is dangerous to get pulled into this pit.

--------------------
Lt. Sullust
Cogito Ergo Sum
Polaris
One Thousand Slimy Things
Member # 66
Profile #5
Hrm, I prefer people who don't throw a hissy fit everytime there is something that could be considered against their views/against someone else's views/boring/stupid/etc. posted on the boards.

At some other boards, posting about 4th of July propably would have gathered the Americans to do a little celebration posts, maybe a few foreigners sharing stories about the USA and so on...but here, the same topic ends (and starts) with stomping Sir David to the ground.

Writing isn't that easy under the massive pressure that is RoR's watching gaze.

You are not perfect, why should others be.
It is easier to explain a better view by saying something like "But animals are nice, here, look at this puppy" rather than "You sick *peep*, you *peep* heartless *peep* *peep*, don't you give a *peep* about the animals? You *peep* *insert nationality here* *peep* *insert political view here* *peep*!"

And show me one nation, one group of people that somehow is superior to others. Now and in the past. Can't do that can you...

--------------------
KhothMk2: You don't get 72 virgin camels though
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #6
quote:
Originally written by ArcticFoxxy:

It is easier to explain a better view by saying something like "But animals are nice, here, look at this puppy" rather than "You sick *peep*, you *peep* heartless *peep* *peep*, don't you give a *peep* about the animals? You *peep* *insert nationality here* *peep* *insert political view here* *peep*!"

I think it's exactly the other way around. Especially on a discussion board, it is far easier to flame, or poke fun at somebody, than it is to be factual. If it wasn't, then why would so many people do it? On the other threads (I never read the July Fourth threads really so I don't know what was said there), none of us were really factual. Djur was not starting the debate by giving factual information, but by being cynical. When Motrax objected, he didn't give counter arguments, but made senseless spam. As a response, I didn't give arguments, but made fun of his name. So Sir David made fun of my name and flamed me. And I flamed him again.

It's far harder to make a real debate than cursing, because when debating, you have to find arguments that support your view. It is easier to just flame ahead, because it doesn't need to be logical.

--------------------
"And all should cry, Beware, Beware!
His Flashing eyes, his Floating hair!" S. T. Coleridge
---
"It is as if everyone had lost their sense
Consigned themselves to downfall and decadence
And a wisp it is they have chosen as their beacon." Reinhard Mey.
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Member # 66
Profile #7
It is certainly easier, but gets you nowhere.
So if you think about it, being nice is easier, because it might get your point through.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 517
Profile #8
1) The topic was meant to be about being nice; that is getting close to an argument.
2) It may require less intelligence to flame, but you are more likely to make others agree with you if you present a reasoned argument.

Since we're meant to be saying nice things, I'd like to say that LF, who started off as a real case for almost immediate banning (shik ara!), has very happily turned out alright and is now participating properly. Well done!

-E-

--------------------
Let them eat cake!

Polaris Boards: The System is Up. Perennially.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #9
I did not say flaming was better. I said it was easier. The easier way is usually the bad one. If being nice was easier than being nasty, this thread would not be necessary, and the world would be a better place. IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/wink.gif)

Oh, and to keep with the topic of the thread, I'd like to say that Zephyr, once being officially called the terror of all RPs, has greatly improved, is now no longer spamming and has become a member who, while not being the most popular, is not hated either. IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/smile.gif)

Also, I must mention ef - though mentioned before - who responded to my flame post in the second 'avatar' topic, and rationally stopped what might have become a really ugly, stupid flame war between David and me. IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/wink.gif)

Edit: And it *is* more of an effort to be nice. This post, while being actually shorter than the flame post, took double the time to write, but I'm practicing IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/tongue.gif) . If we all occasionally would put more effort in posting positively, these boards would definitely improve IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/smile.gif) .

[ Monday, July 07, 2003 01:56: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
---
---
Quote of the Week: "I have a high opinion of myself, which makes up for my total lack of intelligence." Anon.
Shock Trooper
Member # 3026
Profile #10
X has a seemingly infinite wealth of amusing and interesting trivia which he continually adds to his posts to make the thread... well, more amusing and interesting.

Omlette is one of the most rational, calm, intelligent members of this board I have seen so far.

...And SMoE is a kind but confused and misguided person.

Now that, my friends, was a fine example of trolling. Apologies.

[ Monday, July 07, 2003 07:08: Message edited by: Nye ]

--------------------
And this was very odd because
It was the middle of the night
- Lewis Carrol

well well well aren't we resilient

Oh the fun

Most generalizations are, unfortunately, true.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #11
What is trolling on a discussion board btw, Is it something akin to flaming? And what was an example of it in your post?

--------------------
---
---
Fire! Fire! Fire! Fire!
Member # 919
Profile #12
Thanks, good topic, RoR.

Arancaytar, I said that because of your response to Motrax, in which you called him "Sir More-trash of Exile", and it really pissed me off, so I responded simliarly... well, I was mad at the time, I don't blame you for not understanding it. And I don't know what EF said, I think that's the topic I said I wouldn't post in anymore. Which means that I have to not read it either, or I will end up posting anyway.

Now for my compliment... this is harder than I thought it would be... I keep thinking of things for members who already left... does it have to be someone who hasn't already been complimented? Because if so, give me time. If not, then ef is a nice caring person, one of the most level-headed here, and she puts up with me very well considering that my general dislike of her has no reason, that she knows of, and no really good reason that anyone knows of, including myself. I would explain but I really can't, not here anyway.

--------------------
And though the musicians would die, the music would live on in the imaginations of all who heard it.
-The Last Pendragon

TEH CONSPIRACY IZ ALL

Les forum de la chance.

Incaseofemergency,breakglass.
Infiltrator
Member # 2669
Profile Homepage #13
quote:
Originally written by Arancaytar:

What is trolling on a discussion board btw, Is it something akin to flaming? And what was an example of it in your post?
The opions vary on what exactly trolling is, but it is usually considered posting made-up stories and/or belittleing members.

As for my compliment...hmmh, yes.
X is indeed a fountain of interesting information and has made me do further reading on many a subject. Alec and Djur are both full of useless (=interesting) information as well. I like Sir David's intestinal fortitude. I like Nye in general, but I still think he's an oldbie in sheep's clothing. Just can't figure out which one. And Rosycat and RoR for their punkrockness. I'll stop now.

--------------------
Posts: 647 | Registered: Wednesday, February 19 2003 08:00
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #14
You people don't get it! Alec is gone. He flew the coop a while ago (on the same thread that Thuryl did).

*sigh*

I was planning on complementing people I normally hate, but LoneFlame doesn't post much here often, nor does Zephyr. Motrax is beyond my sympathy. So...

Rentboy, you are friggin' awesome. <3

--------------------

Member # 66
Profile #15
Trolling = Trying to make another member flame joo ass.

--------------------
Shaper
Member # 22
Profile #16
I don't believe SMoE is beyond redemption. Everyone deserves a second chance.

--------------------
KazeArctica: "Imagine...wangs everywhere...and tentacles. Nothing but wangs and tentacles! And no pants!"
BANNED
Member # 4
Profile Homepage #17
Maybe. But after this, I think the administration needs to show him a corner to sit down in and cool off (aka temporary banning).

--------------------

This Side Towards Enemy
Member # 3098
Profile #18
I don't think that's likely to be necessary unless he repeats. Just can him. Motrax is smart enough not to care, but we might as well forgive him. Because otherwise we'll push away people like Sir David, and as much as reading these boards makes me cringe, I don't feel we ought to do that. Motrax will calm himself.

TM tries to do what he thinks is right.

Who wants to damn who with faint praise next?

--------------------
Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned
I'll tell you my story, man
Though I wish I'd never been born
I'm loose at the seams,
I've broken my dreams
And my hand it shakes the pen
Come on, come on now baby,
Let the good times roll again
Bob's Big Date
Member # 3151
Profile Homepage #19
So wait, you can shut down a topic which offends you for any reason whatsoever and you won't even get punished for it?
Woohoo!

Sir David's political viewpoints are incompatible with mine, but I believe he's basically a good and fair person.

--------------------
In a word, gay.
--Bob the Impaler

Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #20
Omlette is nice, level-headed, full of Exile advice, and knows better than to jump on people for differing political or religious views. I think that's something we could all work on, especially right now!

—Alorael, who would also like to thank Omlette for advice on what you can poke a straw through and for inspiring some Ayn Rand advice on eggs and his namesake food. And, of course, for hours of nice, smoky, back room plotting.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 2940
Profile Homepage #21
I realy dont know anyone here that much with the exeption of Alorael, he may not remember me, but I know him for quite some time from a board long lost in oblivion. It was an online game that gave us many hopes but was, in the end, sadly ended IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/frown.gif) . I was surprised to find him on this board and brought me good and bad memories from the old board, Syn Caine remember? (did I get his name right? IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/confused.gif) ) Now THAT was a flame war...come to think of it, and I realy hate to admit this, he was right all along about the game going to be a failure...oh, we were so naive back then.

Still, I can say he is a good fellow and a nice compulsive poster to have around in any board.

From an old Stone Cutter Guild member to another. Cheers. IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/biggrin.gif)

[ Monday, July 07, 2003 13:24: Message edited by: The_Nazgul ]

--------------------
"I don't want to achieve immortality through my work, I want to achieve it through not dying."
Agent
Member # 366
Profile #22
Djur is lovely, and helps me with stupid computer problems that I can't fix. He also listens to me when I go on MSN messenger drunk at 3 in the morning.

--------------------
I say never be complete. I say stop being perfect. I say let's evolve. Let the chips fall where they may.
Law Bringer
Member # 2984
Profile Homepage #23
Edit: More than an hour late! Just goes to show how hard this kind of thing is IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/tongue.gif) . Read this post after Custer's.

-----

He (Sir Motrax) could have politely mentioned that the topic is offensive to him, and that it should be removed. It most likely wouldn't have been, but I think that it would not have degraded into the flame war that ensued.

The 'more-trash' post was made after seeing Motrax totally posting a topic to smithereens; I didn't really read through the rest, or I might have noticed that Motrax was a bit unstable (or desparate) at the moment. The name pun was the result of a moment of irrationality.

Sir David, I posted that last flame post at about 4 AM in the morning before going to bed. It's usually a time when anything resembling rational thinking is non-existant . IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/wink.gif)

The irony was that a few hours earlier, I had read through a flame war another forum somewhere else, and tried to make a list of things *not* to do at a discussion board, so when I was posting that, I basically broke the advice rules I had written two hours earlier. IMAGE(Give Peace a Chance_files/wink.gif)

[ Monday, July 07, 2003 14:06: Message edited by: Arancaytar ]

--------------------
---
---
Warrior
Member # 2000
Profile Homepage #24
TM: I am glad you are not dead yet. That way I can kill you myself.

Imban: You make a great source of humour for me. What with the freaking out over me telling the world exactly where you live.

Scorp: I love you. I want to bear your children. Somehow.

Miriam: I don't hold anything personal against you. I just hate you.

Drakefyre: You didn't give me Admin Powers like you promised. That was a good idea.

Feran: I am your evil twin. May you forever be a reason to send money thousands of miles away.

Djur: You are very intelligent, but I think because of the brain size your head looks like a deformed Melon. The kind people around these parts like to...uhh...play with.

That's as nice as I get.

Edward Lemur: You are the creator. There is no God, because if there was he would not be unfair and let his creations toil in this torment called life. Thus you Sir, are the creator, your sick twisted imagination is exactly what this world is made up of.

--------------------
Since Imban Likes to Edit my Posts ...

... And Drakey likes to edit your signature. Stop it, Ed.

Pages