Which do you prefer?

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: Which do you prefer?
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #0
Nethergate, or Avernum 1?

They both use the same standard engine, so which one do you prefer... and why?

The poll is simple: one question. The why... well, post something here...

- Archmagus Micael

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 46 user(s) have voted.

function launch_voter () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=vote;pollid=KxCykbhaBkNH"); return true; } // end launch_voter function launch_viewer () { launch_window("http://www.ironycentral.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=poll;d=view;pollid=KxCykbhaBkNH"); return true; } // end launch_viewer function launch_window (url) { preview = window.open( url, "preview", "width=550,height=300,toolbar=no,location=no,directories=no,status,menubar=no,scrollbars,resizable,copyhistory=no" ); window.preview.focus(); return preview; } // end launch_window IMAGE(votenow.gif)     IMAGE(voteresults.gif)

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Warrior
Member # 5389
Profile #1
Eh, tough choice. I'll go with Venarium. After all, it has historical peoples and axes.

Sorry, I mean 'Nethergate.' ;)

--------------------
Reports of my demise are extremely accurate. And I AM the clone
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #2
Nethergate, but it's pretty close. And the engine is not quite the same: dialogue is different, as are the spells.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Triad Mage
Member # 7
Profile Homepage #3
Since you're posting this in the Nethergate forum, you may receive some biased results.

Personally, I prefer Avernum, as it is larger, more in-depth, and the engine is more polished. That said, Nethergate does have its pluses, like the two different POVs and the strange skill/spell systems.

--------------------
"At times discretion should be thrown aside, and with the foolish we should play the fool." - Menander
====
Drakefyre's Demesne - Happy Happy Joy Joy
Encyclopedia Ermariana - Trapped in the Closet
====
You can take my Mac when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!
Posts: 9436 | Registered: Wednesday, September 19 2001 07:00
Law Bringer
Member # 335
Profile Homepage #4
I enjoyed them about equally, but Nethergate is the better game.

—Alorael, who isn't quite sure how that works out.
Posts: 14579 | Registered: Saturday, December 1 2001 08:00
Lifecrafter
Member # 3171
Profile Homepage #5
If it was Avernum 2 it'd be a surefire win but, although Avernum 1 was good, Nethergate wins out of those 2.
Shaper
Member # 5437
Profile #6
I liked Avernum 1's story a bit more and was more comfortable with the way the game worked, but I really liked getting both view points from Nethergate.

I suppose I like Avernum 1 a little bit more.

[ Saturday, July 09, 2005 23:09: Message edited by: Dolphin. ]
Posts: 2032 | Registered: Wednesday, January 26 2005 08:00
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #7
I haven't registered Nethergate, but I've won through the demo on both sides before (only have the celts save still findable though now). I've got Avernum 1 full version, but I'd have to say I probably prefer Nethergate, but only because of teh two different view points (Celts and Romans). The one thing I hate about the romans though is their (understandable) absolute lack of spells.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
My Scenarios:
Undead Valley : A small Undead problem, what could possibly go wrong?
--------------------
Richard Black - PROOF of his existance (the Infernal one's website).
--------------------
MY FORUM! Randomosity at it's highest! :)
Nuke and Pave
Member # 24
Profile Homepage #8
I liked Nethergate a lot more. Primarily because it was very fun to see references to your Roman party when playing as Celts and to your Celt party when playing as Romans. (Maybe I should try going through the game again, playing both parties simultaneously and switching between chapters. :) )

--------------------
Be careful with a word, as you would with a sword,
For it too has the power to kill.
However well placed word, unlike a well placed sword,
Can also have the power to heal.
Apprentice
Member # 911
Profile #9
Nethergate. There's just something in that game.
Apprentice
Member # 5368
Profile #10
Nethergate has style. I put it above both Avernum and Geneforge in that sense.
Guardian
Member # 3521
Profile #11
Nethergate, easily. It's a wonderful game, and although it provides fewer playing hours than Avernum 1 does, it's still packed with enough fine storytelling and gameplay to lift it above the competition. It's also got the best dialogue system, in my opinion, of any SW game. Exile's system strikes me as overly difficult and tedious whereas Avernum's is considerably dumbed-down. Nethergate's keyword dialogue system strikes the perfect balance.

--------------------
Stughalf

"Delusion arises from anger. The mind is bewildered by delusion. Reasoning is destroyed when the mind is bewildered. One falls down when reasoning is destroyed."- The Bhagavad Gita.
Apprentice
Member # 6115
Profile #12
quote:
Originally written by Spektakular:

Nethergate. There's just something in that game.
exactly! avernum 1 has its strong points, but for some reason nethergate just had a bigger impact with me. i really liked the pseudo-historical & two different sides that would see evidence of each other (particularly when you wouldn't understand what you were seeing as one faction, and then when you played the other side you'd be like "oh yeah i get it") i would love to see nethergate 2 (though i'm not sure it could have a sequel...) but more then avernum 4? hmmmm
Shock Trooper
Member # 3368
Profile #13
I really REALLY liked Nethergate. But it was far too short to contend with Avernum.

--------------------
"Like most of life's problems, this one can be solved with bending"
Apprentice
Member # 6108
Profile #14
I am most definitely in favor of Nethergate, the reason being is that it tell a story that is significant in history; as I am a Celt myself. Plus, it is a very large game that you can always find entertaining whether you play Romans or Celts. :D

--------------------
Blessed Be,
Morgaine
Shock Trooper
Member # 1152
Profile Homepage #15
Nethergate wasn't as big of a game as avernum because it had to have 2 diffrent worlds in it with twice the nodes as one world, becasue ther are two stories. Also, i beleive Nethergate won more awards then Avernum.

--------------------
-Sylak
Proud Member of the Church of Devine Luchere
Way too many lifeforms are carbon-based. Put this in your signature/AIM Profile if you're not.
Shock Trooper
Member # 1249
Profile Homepage #16
Nethergate. I like its graphics more, and there are 6 party member slots. And it's not a remake. And I like its story and atmosphere better.
Apprentice
Member # 6428
Profile #17
i liked them both. avernum was ok and nethergate was fine. ;)
Law Bringer
Member # 6489
Profile Homepage #18
They are both great games. I enjoyed both immensely, but Nethergate has a bit of an edge over Avernum because of it's originality. Let's face it, however great Avernum was, it was [b]still[/b] a remake of Exile. Also, Nethergate had all those random little things that you thought would be important but never were like the Wishes fish, Pearlblossom, the Puzzle Box, etc. I just loved all the little details of that game. Aside from BoX, It was Jeff's greatest game ever, and as far as Jeff's contribution goes, Nethergate is better than BoX.

--------------------
"You're drinking liquor because you're thirsty? How nasty is your freaking water?" —Lazarus
Spiderweb Chat Room
Avernum RPSummariesOoCRoster
Shadow Vale - My site, home of the Spiderweb Chat Database, BoA Scenario Database, & the A1 Quest List, among other things.
Apprentice
Member # 6787
Profile #19
Nethergate of course... it was my first Spiderweb game, and it will always be my first spiderweb game. Not like I can change that. Besides, Avernum is not Nethergate. Duh.

Anyway, This is a good idea for a poll. You can judge the game on graphics, so you're stuck with gameplay. Proffesionals should catch on.

--------------------
"I come for the chugga... but I stay for the wiggy wugga."-Cheerleader
BANNED
Member # 6655
Profile #20
I like both of them. But for some odd reason I voted for Avernum 1.
I must like it more.
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #21
Without a doubt, Nethergate. One of the first games I ever registered and definitely the most enjoyable out of all of them. The only criticism I could actually think of is that it could do with more length. But that's, technically, easily made up in the dual storylines.
Apprentice
Member # 6547
Profile #22
i prefer avernum, as i never bought the full version of Nethergate :D
Agent
Member # 618
Profile Homepage #23
Seriously, I suggest doing so. It's probably one of the better investments of $25 that you'll find, from this company.
BANNED
Member # 5219
Profile #24
I got a better idea. You can buy nothing from Spiderweb and save your money on anything besides games coming from a second rate company.

I'll admit, this was an ok game, I played it for awhile before dumping it. Don't waste your money on games like these, though.

--------------------
You can take my Windows XP when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the mouse!

Pages