souls to take

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).

Pages

AuthorTopic: souls to take
Agent
Member # 4506
Profile Homepage #25
For Exile 3:

Early on in the game:

1)Vahnatai Warrior
2)Vahnatai Mage
3)Wizard
4)Captain

At the end of the game:

1)Pack Leader
2)Vahnatai Lord
3)Mad Monk :P
4)Empire Archer

Oh well, seems like we're all pretty similar.

- Archmagus Micael

--------------------
"You dare Trifle with Avernum?" ~ Erika the Archmage
--------------------
Warrior
Member # 2954
Profile #26
My Crystal Soul (Exile 3)

1) Pack Leader - I chose him because he is a powerful up close fighter. If these things managed to overrun Footracer Provience, they are pretty useful. When I first fought him, I lost almost 100HP in 1 turn.
2) Basilisk - The ability to instantly turn one of my enemies to stone is invaluable. Pain in th e backside to find a friendly ont though. I just captured a soul of a Vahnatai Lord and let them use their soul crystal to summon one out.
3) Null Bug - Just a cheap way to create Anti-magic fields around my PC's. Tower of Magi has one on hand when you complete the Slime Plague.
4) Vahnatai Warrior - They only cost 8MP and they chuck razerdisks with the same accuracy as the Empire Archers (whose MP is over 20)

--------------------
My party is but a singleton.
He has no friends.
Banished from the Empire on that basis.
His only friends he has are souls of:
- Ur-basilisk
- Vahnahtai Blademaster
- Vahnahtai Lord (Mage)
- Empire Dervish
Lifecrafter
Member # 1468
Profile Homepage #27
In E2, the only thing I ever try to capture is Sulfras. He (she?) rules in combat. I never really try to capture anything in E3.

--------------------
"We can learn a lot from crayons. Some are short, some are dull, some are sharp, some are tall. Some have funny names and they are all different colors, but they all learn to live in the same box."

"Happy is the man that has wisdom and gets discernment. For having wisdom as gain is better than having silver as gain and having wisdom as produce is better than gold itself" Proverbs 3:14-3:15

The horrible part about life is, you'll never get out of it alive.

Currently boycotting: AngelFire, GameFAQ's, Macintosh PC's
Apprentice
Member # 6324
Profile #28
Quickghasts are crazy. Their only weakness is low hp. Very good up to golems, then they start dying. But summon 4 of those on any big monster and they won't last long at all. Unless the monster is really strong..

Can anyone say 4 times 9 times 30? :D
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #29
(i) 1080; (ii) you already said this, in the other thread; (iii) in general any monster that causes your PCs trouble is worth having in the soul crystal; quickghasts can be problematic in E3, but in A3 spectres take over.

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Shock Trooper
Member # 6068
Profile #30
You can also capture a guard. Oh and by the way, if you want a demon, just cast Daemon.

--------------------
"Sometimes I get all hungry!
And then I catch some flies!
They fly into my webs!
They are really yummy guys!"
-Spider
Apprentice
Member # 6602
Profile Homepage #31
quote:
Originally written by -T-O-E-N-A-I-L-:

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Basilisk and Ur-Basilisk yet. They are always useful. But then again sometimes Major Summoning will pick up 4 or 5 of them.
Thats true, except for one thing. Maybe its because the highest levels out of any of my characters is level 33, but I've summoned dozens of basikisks before, but never any ur-basilisks. Has anyone here ever been able to summon a ur-basikisk through major summoning?

--------------------
"When you trip, watch the ground rise."

"I reject my reality and subsitute my own!" - Adam Savage from the MythBusters

"I don't mind being called a liar when I'm about to lie, when I'm lying, or just finished lying, but not when I'm telling the truth!" - Homer Simpson

Myspace.com = http://www.myspace.com/nighthawk3001
Apprentice
Member # 6617
Profile Homepage #32
- Ur-Basilisk
- Pack Leader
- Eyebeast
- Mad Monk

I hate mages and wizards and such. When they start summoning, they summon all these monsters that screw things up. Okay, I admit - I have a tendency to be a control freak when it comes to battles. :D

quote:
Has anyone here ever been able to summon a ur-basikisk through major summoning?
Never happened to me :/

Thank god they come across your path every once in a while.

--------------------
"Before they send us to a grave, alien beasts use Burma Shave." XD

Seeing with my eyes closed what my heart knows: We must leave this world behind.
Warrior
Member # 2954
Profile #33
My soul crystal includes:

1) Pack Leader (Awesome fighter {also poisons I believe})
2) Vahnatai Warrior (8 MP can't beat that for those Razordisks. not as powerful as an Empire Archer, but I don't like the 30+ MP for the Empire Archer)
3) Ur-Basilisk (for obvious reasons)
4) Vahnatai Lord (for powerfull spells and their soul crystal of Basilisks and Eyebeasts/Gazers {I cannot remember which one})

Its been a while since I played E3 and my E2 is listed in my signature

[ Tuesday, January 10, 2006 00:25: Message edited by: aquadraconus ]

--------------------
My party is but a singleton.
He has no friends.
Banished from the Empire on that basis.
His only friends he has are souls of:
- Ur-basilisk
- Vahnahtai Blademaster
- Vahnahtai Lord (Mage)
- Empire Dervish
Apprentice
Member # 5573
Profile #34
I've never used caprture soul. It's far too spell point expensive and takes far too much time (AP) to do. Major Summon (which you can get quite quickly if you put your mind to it) creates lots of powerful-ish monsters and it only costs 14 spell points and can beat your 30 spell point guard. (It is also similar with Deamons - summon Deamon costs a lot less spell point wise than getting a deamon via simulacrum does)

The only time I've ever found Capture Soul useful was when I got lots empire archers against the massive drake onslaught vs the king drake. They mopped the drakes up really, really quickly.
Master
Member # 4614
Profile Homepage #35
Waste of money.

So I dunno what I'd have. :P

--------------------
-ben4808
Agent
Member # 3349
Profile Homepage #36
Ur-Basilisk
Demon
Empire Dervish
Cat

--------------------
And everybody say....Yatta!
Apprentice
Member # 8779
Profile #37
quote:
Originally written by Not I:

I had an Order Mage and Empire Dervish. I toted around Drakes for a while before that. They make good initial targets, as well as Demons.

Has anyone gotten a Haakai? Or Mung Demon? I'm not picky.

I managed to get a Haakai in Exile 2 in the lava dome but it took a really, really long time. Rounded the crystal out with an Ur-Basilik, Lich, and Ice Hydra. Not that the hydra's all that impressive, but I was happy with the other three and didn't want to press my luck. Any suggestions for a fourth?

[ Wednesday, May 23, 2007 11:35: Message edited by: ozymandias107 ]
...b10010b...
Member # 869
Profile Homepage #38
I'm fond of basilisks, null bugs and quickghasts, although null bugs are more than a little tricky to capture.

--------------------
The Empire Always Loses: This Time For Sure!
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #39
I only buy Capture Soul and Simulacrum for completeness, and never use them. If I can't kill it with my party, I don't take it on.

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Agent
Member # 2759
Profile Homepage #40
Well, it's amusing reading what one wrote 2 years ago. My answer hasn't changed since then. (Not that I've played Exile very much over the past 2 years.)

--------------------
Geneforge 4 stuff. Also, everything I know about Avernum | Avernum 2 | Avernum 3 | Avernum 4
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #41
Overall, I'd say those are good choices.

I just don't bother using my soul crystal out of practicality; with my magic-heavy playing style, I need all the spell points I can get.
quote:
it's amusing reading what one wrote 2 years ago.
Yeah, I noticed a few attempts at topic necromancy with this thread. I'm not complaining, though, because it might be useful should I decide to use a crystal soul.

edit: added quote, and a response to it.

[ Friday, May 25, 2007 10:19: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Lifecrafter
Member # 7557
Profile #42
I used a force of Alien Beasts and Pack Leaders and the odd Van Lord to storm Kriszan once.

(Can anyone capture a guard btw?)

--------------------
*Eyes potential targets*
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #43
quote:
I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you could.

--------------------
Off With Their Heads
Member # 4045
Profile Homepage #44
quote:
Originally written by The Mystic:

quote:
I think someone mentioned earlier in this thread that you could.

You think right.
quote:
Originally written by Chief Spider watching The Simpsons:

You can also capture a guard. Oh and by the way, if you want a demon, just cast Daemon.

--------------------
Arancaytar: Every time you ask people to compare TM and Kel, you endanger the poor, fluffy kittens.
Smoo: Get ready to face the walls!
Ephesos: In conclusion, yarr.

Kelandon's Pink and Pretty Page!!: the authorized location for all things by me
The Archive of all released BoE scenarios ever
Posts: 7968 | Registered: Saturday, February 28 2004 08:00
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #45
Thought so. Thanks for checking.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 9292
Profile #46
I prefer to use (Early game): Vahnati Lord, Empire Dervish, Empire Archer, and an Ur-Basilisk. Late Game, it's the same, except switch the Dervish with a Pack Leader.

--------------------
"I wouldn't mind being the last man on Earth, just to see if all those girls were telling me the truth."
Apprentice
Member # 9367
Profile #47
I really only used capture soul in Exile II, since I had enough other things to think about in Exile III and I don't have many powerful BoE parties yet. But for Exile II, I found it easier to capture friends instead of enemies, since I'm usually to buisy killing the powerful enemies.
Anyways here's my Exile II lineup:
Hydra (useful at first, but never got written over)
Order Mage (costs less than a Wizard, and is just as powerful)
Lich (yep, that was fun)
Vahnatai Blademaster (got it before leaving the vahnatai lands, slaughtered many foes)

--------------------
I came, I saw, I conquered
Apprentice
Member # 9444
Profile #48
I have an all mage/priest party so right now in E2 i have a lich and a naga

i was trying for a haakia but he didn't want to come ;)

--------------------
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
Douglas Adams

In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
Douglas Adams
Apprentice
Member # 9367
Profile #49
About capturing guards (based on E2, the Exile game I played when using the soul crystal), it's possible(and even easy), but they arn't very powerful unless you first anger them (and this can be dangerous) and even then, they're best for defence. (with an HP of 270(E2), as opposed to 90 when unangered).

--------------------
I came, I saw, I conquered

Pages