I don't want to be a woman!

Error message

Deprecated function: implode(): Passing glue string after array is deprecated. Swap the parameters in drupal_get_feeds() (line 394 of /var/www/pied-piper.ermarian.net/includes/common.inc).
AuthorTopic: I don't want to be a woman!
Apprentice
Member # 6618
Profile #0
I want to be a shock trooper, but I don't want to look like woman! It's very annonying, I even tried to replace the pictures in the data folder with those for the lifecrafter, but it didn't work wery well, they appear to be different heights. Is anybody done this? Is there any relatively easy way (some tool maybe) to change the appearance of my character more than just the color scheme?
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #1
I've never done it in G4 before, but I think I can do it. You'll have to test it, though, and be warned it could mess up your game somehow.

First, find the file gf4itemschars. It's in the Scripts folder. Make a back-up copy somewhere safe. Then search for shock trooper to bring up this bit of text:

begindefinecreature 49;
cr_name = "Shock Trooper";
cr_graphic_template = 150;
cr_max_health = 28;
cr_max_energy = 20;
cr_sound_when_slain = 106;
Change cr_graphic_template = 150; to cr_graphic_template = 140; and cr_sound_when_slain = 106; to cr_sound_when_slain = 127;. This will change your shock trooper into a lifecrafter on the main playing screen.

Next, save a back-up copy of the file G209 and save G208 as G209. This will change the shock trooper inventory picture into the lifecrafter inventory picture.

And that should be it. You'll still see the shock trooper graphic when you go to choose your character, but in-game it'll be the lifecrafter graphic.

Let Dikiyoba know if it works or not.

--------------------
Episode 4: Spiderweb ReloadedEpisode 5: Spiderweb Resistance
Warrior
Member # 15001
Profile #2
Just play as a woman. It will broaden your horizons.

Or, pretend the image is of a longhaired dude in a kilt.
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #3
... with man boobs?

--------------------
You lose.
Warrior
Member # 15001
Profile #4
quote:
Originally written by Emperor Tullegolar:

... with man boobs?
Pecs! They're called pecs, ok??? :)

Or, he's wearing an inverted backpack or something.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #5
Originally by Emperor Tullegolar:

quote:
... with man boobs?
A rare but not unheard of side effect of canisters, no doubt.

Dikiyoba.

--------------------
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #6
Snap out of it, soldier, and get with the program. Play as a woman like a man!

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Warrior
Member # 15187
Profile Homepage #7
To tell the truth, in the Avernum games: with some of the characters it's difficult to tell whether they're male or female. I sort of have to guess: Are those chest swells due to muscles or mammary glands?

In regard to Geneforge: It makes me a feel kind of sexy to play as a woman. Especially that Infiltrator in G4.

In fact, it sounds like somebody here is a little uncomfortable with his sexuality?
Shaper
Member # 3442
Profile Homepage #8
quote:
Originally written by Clavicle:

It makes me a feel kind of sexy to play as a woman. Especially that Infiltrator in G4.
I would like the record to show I lolled. How on earth does playing as a woman make you feel sexy?!

--------------------
Nikki's Nook - You don't want to know.
Warrior
Member # 15187
Profile Homepage #9
I don't know. Some people say things like that, so I guess I have to suppose there must be something to it.
Apprentice
Member # 13473
Profile #10
Well i just look at it like this. Serviles can be shcok trooper to. Just change up the stats.

--------------------
UR-DRAKONS RULE. Ur-Drakons are the god of geneforge 4. They cant be beat. Ur-Drakons shall rule forever. Those who disagree should be destroyed. (I am Seriously Serious about the Seriousness of me being Serious).AND IF YOU TRULY WANT A GREAT GAME TO PLAY TRY OUT. www.ikariam.com
Apprentice
Member # 6618
Profile #11
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

I've never done it in G4 before, but I think I can do it. You'll have to test it, though, and be warned it could mess up your game somehow.

First, find the file gf4itemschars. It's in the Scripts folder. Make a back-up copy somewhere safe. Then search for shock trooper to bring up this bit of text:

begindefinecreature 49;
cr_name = "Shock Trooper";
cr_graphic_template = 150;
cr_max_health = 28;
cr_max_energy = 20;
cr_sound_when_slain = 106;
Change cr_graphic_template = 150; to cr_graphic_template = 140; and cr_sound_when_slain = 106; to cr_sound_when_slain = 127;. This will change your shock trooper into a lifecrafter on the main playing screen.

Next, save a back-up copy of the file G209 and save G208 as G209. This will change the shock trooper inventory picture into the lifecrafter inventory picture.

And that should be it. You'll still see the shock trooper graphic when you go to choose your character, but in-game it'll be the lifecrafter graphic.

Let Dikiyoba know if it works or not.

Thank you! It worked like a charm!

As to why I don't like to look like a woman. I play the main character as myself. I give him my own name. And I am not perceiving myself as a woman. It's just a habit I suppose :D
Infiltrator
Member # 7488
Profile #12
For the most part, I don't mind playing female characters as long as they aren't *too* obviously feminine. After all, to your computer, your character is nothing more than a series of numbers and scipts, no matter how you may personally feel about it.

[ Thursday, April 24, 2008 06:50: Message edited by: The Mystic ]

--------------------
Either I'm crazy, or everybody else is nuts. And I know I'm not crazy because the little man who lives on my shoulder told me so.
If people don't think there's something wrong with you, there's something wrong with you.
Oh well. Another day, another dementia.
Apprentice
Member # 15228
Profile #13
I also like to play the character as my self, so It's always bothered me that you each class had a set gender, that's why I've never played as an agent/infiltrator, or shock trooper. Avernum has always had a variety of male and female sprites and its always bothered me that geneforge dosen't. I hope that this issue is fixed in G5.

On another note, Why are NPC shapers always blue? and agents brown? just wondering. :confused:

on another another note, the sprite for shock troopers doesn't seem to mach its name. they don't look at all shocky or troopery to me. shock/storm troopers were first used in modern warfare during WWI by the germans, generally each squad would have several flametroopers (flamethrowers were deadly in the trenches) they would charge in small groups into the enmy trenches and cause as much damage as possible while completely exposed to enemy fire. the current sprite doesn't look very suited to heavy combat. it should have armor or something, it just doesn't look at all cool to me. :rolleyes:

[ Thursday, April 24, 2008 13:22: Message edited by: Ale193 ]

--------------------
To speak the truth one must first see it through both eyes.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #14
Dikiyoba always envisioned shock troopers to be more in favor of quick battles, not pitched ones. Poor magic makes them more vulnerable--they can't cast the best buffs or rely on mental magic to scare opponents, so there's only so much damage they and their creations can take. Light armor makes more sense than heavy armor if they engage in hit-and-run tactics. Get in quickly, do heavy damage while the enemy is surprised and unprepared, then get out quickly.

--------------------
Apprentice
Member # 15228
Profile #15
I meant light armor, such as chitin armor, not guardian style plate-mail. also, I would think that simply a tunic would be just plain stupid to wear into battle. modern soldiers don't wear plate armor, but they wear kevlar vests. shapers can get away with it because they don't usually go to the front lines and they have magic. some one that focuses on conventional combat can't wear a blouse into a warzone.

--------------------
To speak the truth one must first see it through both eyes.
Councilor
Member # 6600
Profile Homepage #16
Maybe it's a thahdskin tunic? :P

I suppose you're right, ideally she should be wearing some armor.

In other news, it appears that Dikiyoba will be able to play as a dikiyora. Woo hoo! Now if only Dikiyoba's computer wasn't about to implode.

IMAGE(http://i31.tinypic.com/t563jt.jpg)

[ Monday, April 28, 2008 07:52: Message edited by: Dikiyoba ]

--------------------
Board Administrator
Member # 1
Profile Homepage #17
I called them shock troopers because, in a world of magic, I think that would be the role of wizards on the battlefield. They go in early, unload their devastating attacks to shock/awe the enemy, and retreat while the warriors/creations go in and take advantage of the disarray.

I knew that people would find it odd that the shock troopers look so non-burly. But it made sense inside my brain. :-)

- Jeff Vogel

--------------------
Official Board Admin
spidweb@spiderwebsoftware.com
Apprentice
Member # 10908
Profile #18
IMAGE(http://i31.tinypic.com/t563jt.jpg)[/QB][/QUOTE]

AWESOME!! POST HOW YOU DID IT!!
Shaper
Member # 7420
Profile Homepage #19
quote:
Originally written by Spidweb:

They go in early, unload their devastating attacks to shock/awe the enemy, and retreat while the warriors/creations go in and take advantage of the disarray.
That seems logical to me. And even though I'm so strategist in-game myself, I'm pretty sure that's exactly how a lot of players use them.

--------------------
You lose.
Electric Sheep One
Member # 3431
Profile #20
Except that those kind of tactics are suited to the missing sixth class, with strong magic and moderate creations, not to the Shock Trooper. With Aura of Flames or Mass Madness you can shock and awe. With a Reaper Baton or a Puresteel Blade you can pique and annoy.

--------------------
Listen carefully because some of your options may have changed.
Posts: 3335 | Registered: Thursday, September 4 2003 07:00
Apprentice
Member # 17926
Profile #21
quote:
Originally written by Dikiyoba:

Maybe it's a thahdskin tunic? :P

I suppose you're right, ideally she should be wearing some armor.

In other news, it appears that Dikiyoba will be able to play as a dikiyora. Woo hoo! Now if only Dikiyoba's computer wasn't about to implode.

IMAGE(http://i31.tinypic.com/t563jt.jpg)

Oh no!

The worst of all breakings of the Shaper Laws!!!
The extreme magical augmentation to a mere creation! UNACCEPTABLE!

But then again, that's really cute :)